WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• mimi7grands
    Options
    I’m in the process of moving into my new granny flat (what a term!) and am betwixt and between my old place and my new place, neither of which has a working kitchen. (The new one's not quite ready - the old one's undergoing renovations.) Soon though. Soon. Despite not having a kitchen, I stayed under my calorie goal. I’m grateful for my little toaster oven – perfect for roasting veggies.

Jane, I hope you’re feeling better. :heart:

Robin, I’m proud of you. You’re back, full-steam ahead. :flowerforyou:

Kackie, how wonderful to be able to paint. One of these days I’ll take a class just to give it a try. My mom paints beautifully and my sister is an illustrator. Maybe a little of it (not much though I know!) rubbed off.

Autumn, be strong. It’s funny how we can gradually become accustomed to poor treatment. I was married to an alcoholic too. It can take you by surprise and take a while to figure out. I hope you’ll get some help if you’re not strong enough yet to do what you need to do on your own. Of course, only you can decide what that is.

Barbie, you are the exercise queen!

Jeanne, many veggies are good steamed to the point where they’re nice and tender. Some can be stewed, like zucchini, onions and tomato. Others can be mashed. My daughter made the best mashed cauliflower the other night. She mashed a head of cauliflower with a couple of potatoes, added a little sour cream and parmesan cheese. Amazingly good and amazingly low calorie. It should be easy to eat without any chewing at all. Good luck. I’ll bet other people will have good suggestions too. BTW, almost forgot, freshly made applesauce is delicious! Kackie had a great suggestion about making smoothies too.

Sally, good job, getting on track! It feels good doesn’t it.

Marilyn, you sound strong. That’s wonderful.

Amanda, your words were powerful and inspiring. I admire your courage. Thank you. :flowerforyou:

Geri, you have a good plan. I think you’ll do well on your vacation!

Barbie, I always appreciate reading your advice. Thanks for being there for all of us. :heart:

Rebel, I stay away from high-calorie, low-nutrition food. That doesn’t mean I never eat (or drink) them but not too often. Social eating is much harder for me than social drinking. I know for a fact that nobody else gives a rat’s patootie whether I nibble at a social event or not. It’s just me myself (and I!) who has a hard time resisting. When I see something tempting I automatically want it. When I don’t see it, I usually don’t. I’m working on the “I see it but I choose not to eat it” part. Good luck. I know we can do it.

Faye, I’m so glad you’re feeling better. Woo hoo. Faye is back! :flowerforyou:

Birdie, great job counting the raviolis and not letting anyone else tease you out of it. Way to go!!! :happy:

Mary, thanks for expressing so well the feelings of the day. :cry:

Off to bed for me, in my new space/granny flat. :happy: My granddaughters were jumping up and down at the thought of me finally being up here (in my part of my DD’s and SIL’s house). I expect to see them bright and early tomorrow. I’m sure we’ll have a bit of a learning curve as to checking first before coming to visit. :laugh:

Good night my good friends. You add so much to my life.

:heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Jeannie- I got this in my email today, and immediately thought of you:

Break Out Your BlenderIn a recent study, people given meals containing vegetable purees ate about 350 fewer calories over the course of the day and were just as satisfied as those given the same foods without the purees. That’s because purees increase the volume of a dish without contributing many calories. Since people tend to habitually eat the same volume of food, diners ate the amount they were accustomed to. But because the puree-enhanced dishes were less dense, they automatically ate fewer calories. Purees also contributed fiber and water, which are well established as helping promote feelings of fullness and satiety. Those 350 calories saved each day could translate into a pound of fat lost after just 10 days. So, steam vegetables like carrots and squash, puree them, and stir them into muffin batters or pasta sauces. You will not only eat fewer calories, you'll also be getting healthful fiber to help your digestive system as well as immune-boosting nutrients like vitamins A and C.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/kitchen-tricks-can-help-you-trim-down/4-b-374257#ixzz1Xjs4m7an

Michele
  • grabbit97
    Options
    I lost another pound, haven't tried, but it's ok, I accept all pounds gone.. still trying to watch the carbs I eat...
    Yesterday I babysat for SARI, the new GD, all day, while daugher and sil and hubby went golfing.. it was nice to have her all by myself.
    They stayed for dinner, had steak on the barbie, and baked potato and broccoli.
    Nice day.. I was so tired, went to bed at 9:00 PM!!!
    More later..
    Natalie
  • me1howard
    me1howard Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello~ new here (5 days old). Have enjoyed keeping track of what I eat! Realized I was eating 2X too much! Feeling better and so happy to be a part of this. I want to get healthy and feel good. Please pray for me...it isn't easy, is it?
  • me1howard
    me1howard Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You are a beautiful woman and I'm sure you will feel better about yourself joining us. I'm struggling to lose about 50 pounds because I have diabetes and also for my son's wedding in January, 2012. Never liked counting calories, but like doing it on here. Hang in there! You are NOT alone!
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to everyone, I have kind of slipped a little getting here to post and wonder if that is because I have slipped a little in keeping on goal and tracking my food...seems they have a lot to do with one another. hmmmmmmm...interesting observation!

Getting ready to go to the gym and thinking how hard I work at the gym and it just plain does not make sense to not stay on goal with my food...Why am I doing this??? So have to be vigilant.... I will do it on the one day at a time basis if necessary will do it on the hour by hour or minute by minute to keep out of the pantry and fridge.

I lost another pound last week:flowerforyou: and that is a good thing but know to keep that scale going in the right direction need to kick my butt into gear and not get lazy.

38 days until we leave for San Pedro CA to stay for 2 nights before our cruise,:glasses: have lots to do to stay busy along with 3x's a week at the gym. I am trying to resist trying on the Asian styled Suzy Wong dress that I want to wear on the cruise because I don't want to be disappointed..so will leave that until right before I pack...I so want to wear this dress because I love it, but it is a sheath type long dress and cannot be too tight or the whole look is ruined:sad: ....I have an alternate if it doesn't look well on me, but still have hope.

Our weather is beautiful right now and it energizes me to want to do more. No more hot and humid here this year I hope.

OK, a great week to everyone and hope everyone can find a way to do something today that makes them smile and feel happy. :bigsmile: :heart: xoSissy:heart:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Sissy - Good job on losing a pound! And yes, I find that posting on this thread and staying focused go hand in hand.

Well, we still didn't win the football game Friday night, but did manage to score 20 points, so that was encouraging. I hope for the students' sake that it isn't another totally winless year.

We are going to a concert of the Country Current tonight. They are the Navy's country/bluegrass band. I'm excited, because all of the military bands that I have seen are excellent. If you haven't managed to catch any and have a chance, I would highly recommend going for it!

I am in the midst of my latest "catering for family" blitz. This is the weekend of the Walnut Valley Music Festival at Winfield, KS. It is generally attended by around 10,000 people from all over the world. Anyway, it is an annual mecca for my family, and I feed all out of the cooler in the back of the van for the weekend, so I am knee deep in preparations. I think not so many of us are going to be able to make it this year, so I am only planning for about 12. Check it out at http://www.wvfest.com/

Got to get back to work. Have a great Monday!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Stayed away from wine yesterday. Except for the Saturday mishap, I am happy with my resolve. No change in the scale this morning. Check again tomorrow.

Have a great day ladies.

:heart: Rebel:heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I am in the hotel room for a few minutes to eat my lunch and get some more water to take with me for the afternoon.

They have a four dollar lunch on site but since I eat very little cheese, no deli meat, almost no bread, no potato salad, there wasn't really anything on the menu I could eat laugh so I'm having an Isagenix shake and checking up on all of you.....the hotel is about a twenty minute walk from the workshop so I get a nice walk, too :bigsmile: We learned five new dances this morning
    two easy, two medium and one very difficult.:bigsmile: there will be two more new dances this afternoon and then time for review and open dancing this evening.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I was sick yesterday and messed up on both my September goals, I ate less than 1000 yesterday and didn't exercise at all. :sick:

Sissygok - rooting for you to fit into your special dress for the cruise.
  • Jeanne3651
    Jeanne3651 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Welcome newbies! I know you'll enjoy it on this thread.

I want to thank everyone for their support and wonderful & helpful suggestions. The mashed cauliflower sounds wonderful. I printed everyone's suggestions out so I would remember them.

I was going to go to water aerobics this morning but then had a hypoglycemic episode which just knocked me out. I know I'll be over on everything in my diary today because of the high sugar content food I have to eat to get my blood sugar up in the normal range and then keep it there. So I plan to try for lap swimming tomorow morning. Water aerobics is only on Mon, Wed, & Fri but lap swim is every morning.

Well I'm off to work on a menu so when hubby goes grocery shopping on Sat he can get the things I need to eat healthy!

Have a good day & God Bless!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    bump
    not dead, just busy
    ;)
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    bump
    not dead, just busy
    ;)

I am REALLY REALLY glad to hear that you aren't dead! :laugh:
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've got to get back with the program! Looking forward to reading each of your posts. I need all the encouragement I can get. :ohwell:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    staying true to plan and workout in the fitness center here at the hotel even though it is really late for me. Now off to shower and bed. :yawn:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I've got to get back with the program! Looking forward to reading each of your posts. I need all the encouragement I can get. :ohwell:
    well here's some encouragement....lets get logging and exercising....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    staying true to plan and workout in the fitness center here at the hotel even though it is really late for me. Now off to shower and bed. :yawn:

good job...keep it up!!!:flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Ahhh...Auntie BK: YES, we are glad you are here, even if busy...look forward to hearing more from you.

Doobiedoo; Lots of good thoughts and encouragement coming your way! Keep in touch!

Mary: (new mary)...WELCOME...this is such a great place. Look forward to hearing more from you...Good luck on this journey.

I LOGGED all of my food and drink today, even though I went over a bit. I am just trying to focus and stay accountable. (Something I have been struggling with lately.) I start out great and then lose focus as the day goes on, OFTEN. I have to keep track the whole day...good or bad. That's my goal for now, anyway!

Rebel: So good to hear from you again. Take care!

Barbie: Good for you for logging in from your hotel and staying the course...you are our inspiration!

Robin: YEA! You are BACK!!!!!!!!! Keep it up!

Everyone else, have a great evening and good week. You are all such a help to me! Kackie:heart:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: So far so good. Did 1/2 hr on the elliptical today. And keeping to my healthy eating! The scale's gotta go down anytime now :bigsmile:

:heart: Rebel :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Did 50 min of a pilates DVD today (Sun). Haven't done pilates in a long time. It was interesting because one pilates DVD that I have for some reason I could hear but nothing came on the screen. So I tried another DVD and that one worked fine. I'll ask Vince if he can figure out why that happened. Tomorrow I'll take an extremepump class. Update: Vince looked at the DVD. Evidentally, there are two DVD's, one with just audio. I may very well have put that one in the DVD player because it played no problem for Vince. Now I know that there are two DVD's. So guess it was a "user error"

Autumn - thanks so much for sharing. That took guts. Don't let him spoil your good eating habits. Every time you feel like you want to have "comfort foods", remember that he's winning. If you have those foods, you're giving him more and more power over you. You are strong, so show him up! Jeannie had a great suggestion. Bet Alanon could help you understand how you're feeling. I must admit, I've never been in the situation you're in.

Jeannie - no, I don't think of you as silly. Actually, I'd be very interested to see what foods you do eat to compensate for not being able to chew. Baby foods? I have not a clue. But baby foods can be so bland, so that's probably not what you do.

Amanda - congrats on the not smoking. My mother died when I was 9 and I don't think her smoking was realted to it (I'm pretty sure it wasn't) but the fact that she was a smoker and she died really made an impact on me. Of course, at that time the American Cancer society didn't relate smoking and death, but my mind did. To this day I don't smoke.

Geri - I'm the same way, only I can't grate veges, the pieces are too big and Vince will see them. The other day I made a chocolate zucchini bread and by accident I left the zucchini in the food processor too long, it was cut up really small. So I made the cake and told Vince to try "this chocolate bread that I made". I just accidentally on purpose left out the word "zucchini". I was told it was good. Now if he knew that there was zucchini in it, he wouldn't have eaten it.

birdie - I'm proud of you for counting the ravioli.

Well, we're supposed to have the people who recently moved in over tonight and another neighbor, only he'll be here late. Wish he could be here earlier so that we could grill earilier, but that just can't happen. Anyway, I have beef tenderloin steaks (which I probably won't have), I made teriyaki chicken, corn on the cob, mixed veges, sweet and white potatoes. He was supposed to bring the dessert, but I suspect he might have forgotten so fortunately, I have some ice cream in the freezer and I've made cookies. I'll probably have a few of the low fat oatmeal raisin cookies, I also have some ginger cookies, and I know Vince will eat the ice cream. I made some unsweetened green tea, so I'll have that. He's supposed to bring wine, I'm not a big wine drinker but I might wind up having just a little to be nice. No big deal to me if I don't, tho. Oh, I made a beer bread, we'll have that but since I really don't care for beer, I probably won't have any. Update: I did try a little bit, to me it had good flavor but it should have been baked longer than the recipe says to bake it.

There's the senior practice bowl today. We'll probably go. I really want to talk to this one guy. He's cool -- a nice guy (wouldn't mind having him and his wife over one day), was a professional bowler at one time. See, last week we started the winter league (I told you how much I stunk). Well, at the organizational meeting this one guy on our team wasn't there. But he was there last week. Now, I don't remember if he played in the summer league or not. But when I got there, even before we started bowling, he said to me "you have nice legs, I was going to say something before". Since it was so early, I just assumed "before" meant during the summer. So I said "thank you very much". Then a couple of times he said to me "you're cute". Now I don't know how to take this. Is this just his way, was he being nice, or was he trying to hit on me? If I see **** (the cool guy) I'll ask him if he knows this guy and what his take is. Update: saw ****, he doesn't know this guy but he's going to keep an eye out.

We had the senior practice bowl today. I bowled a 159! Don't get too excited, the next game was an 87. The third game was something like a 112.

Had the neighbors over here tonight. I learned a few things, I made this beer bread, and although it had good flavor, it probably should have been baked a bit longer. I needed to defrost the corn on the cob, just putting it in boiling water wasn't enough. Well, live and learn. It's not like the food was bad or anything. The other neighbor forgot to bring the dessert. I had a feeling he would so I scrambled thru my freezer. We had ice cream (thank goodness I bought some when it was buy 2 get 3 free), I had made some oatmeal/raisin cookies (low fat) and ginger cookies so we had them. I also gave them some cookies to take home (you never leave my house empty handed). The other neighbor did bring a bottle of wine. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but I did have some. There's a bit left and Vince said that he'd finish it, so I'm keeping it in the refrigerator. If he doesn't finish it soon, I'll just dump it.

Tomorrow, I'll do a bosu DVD at home then go to the Y to take a tai chi class. The afternoon is mahjongg.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele