WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    Barbie, I hope you enjoy the workshop again. Have fun!!!
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Thank you for your kind comments, they really helped me today. I am very goal driven and actually got a little depressed realizing that I had to start over on my new goal, :noway: but then I logged on to MFP and read the kind comments and it was so much easier to get over it and remember, that it was one day at a time that got me where I am and it will be one day at a time that gets me to my next goal.
    Barbie- I envy you, dance workshop, sounds like fun!
    Jane - praying for you
    Autumn - You can't change him, you can change you. You seem to have started making healthy choices, keeping making them MFP makes logging easy and once you start to see your progress you will never want to turn back,
  • Jeanne3651
    Jeanne3651 Posts: 84 Member
    Good morning everyone. I'm getting better I'm posting for my second day in a row. It's amazing how easy it is to fall back into old habits.

Jane I will be praying for you.

Autumn - Alcoholism is one of the hardest things to deal with. My ex was a practicing alcoholic and my life for the most part was hell until I joined Alanon and came to realize that I wasn't causing his drinking that it was his choice. There is nothing you can do to stop his drinking. Take care of yourself. Get out, get active and live your own life. I know that's alot harder than it sounds. Use this group of women as a support. You made the right choice leaving the house when you did. Take your life one day at a time.

Barbie - I know you're right I should open my diary but I'm ashamed of what I eat. I'm going to share a problem that I have that really bothers me and also affects my eating. I have no teeth. I can't chew hardly any meats which is O.K. but I also can't eat raw veggies and salads. I've never shared this before and I hope people don't think of me as silly.

I need to start exercising again and I need to find some kind of healthy food plan that doesn't require to much chewing. I really need this groups help.
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Again...it is great to read your posts.
    I feel like I really got back on track yesterday and it feels good. I feel so much better physically and emotionally when I am on track. My husband and I walked around Providence in the afternoon. It was great to get exercise, visit an art fair and see the city.

Jane...I hope you are feeling better.
    Mimi...it was great to read your words about logging. I see that as so important in my day too.
    Autuum... I feel for you and know that alcoholism effects so many lives. Al-Anon is a wonderful resource for family members ...in helping us to see our patterns and how the disease effects everyone in the family (not just the drinker). I hope you can put yourself first.
  • lisaweaver3
    lisaweaver3 Posts: 29 Member
    My Dearest Chiclet! Are you sure that your mother isn't my mother? My mom is mean, too. It's hard to believe I turned out as "good " as I did based on the way I was raised. We've been on that merry-go-round that you've described for the past two years. God bless you and your patience. I know it isn't easy-I was slender when we moved to FL to take care of my mom, then I gained twenty pounds due to comfort eating... But it looks like your doctor totally rocks! I've had to beg the docs to tell her she can't drive, that she isn't doing what she should, etc. Hang in there and stand your ground!

Lisa Weaver
    Sarasota, FL
  • Hello ladies, just had a smile on my face this morning, down abit. Work is now in full force, back to tim's and the other two on call. Should be interesting, in the coming months it is a race between who will offer me a full time part time position. Both sites have them coming up!

Going to see if I continue to loose the weight and if so I will be doing some measuring at the end of the month.

Keep faith ladies, it has been a hard journey for me, but I will not give up!!!

Marilyn
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Dear Ladies

Just to let you know that I am saying prayers for all of you - especially for those who are struggling or having a hard time lately. I'm also saying a special prayer in memory of those affected by the 9/11 tragedy.

I've had a busy weekend, running around trying to catch my tail for the most part. I had loads of big plans about what I was going to do - cleaning cupboards etc, etc, but have ended up doing other stuff and wishing I'd made time to do everything!

One thing I've noticed since I've lost weight is that I've got a really bony bottom. Years ago I had an accident and broke many bones, including my coccyx and now that there is little padding on my behind, it has become extremely painful to sit down for more than a few minutes. I find that I'm wriggling around trying to get comfy all the time. Anyway, I bought myself some padded bike shorts lately and they help somewhat, but I still find I need a cushion - not easy when I'm out and about.

With the talk of alcoholics, I thought I'd add my twopence worth. My first husband was an alcoholic - an extremely violent one at that (I carry many scars, both physical and mental from my time with him - including 2 where he stabbed me). When my eldest daughter was six weeks old he went into a facility to be 'dried out'. Well, he didn't really want to be dried out and started drinking straight away afterwards. Since then (35 years later) he has had many, many more attempts to stop drinking - including rehab, surgery and drugs. He is now in his sixties and still drinks. Still gets violent. Some people will never be 'cured'. I am grateful that I found the strength, at the age of 20, to leave him and make a life for myself and my children without him.

The one positive thing that this has taught me is that so many people have addictive personalities. Sometimes it's drink, sometimes drugs, sometimes sex, sometimes food. The most important thing is to find a balance and if you can't create a healthy balance, then cut it out of your life completely. Two years ago I decided to stop drinking alcohol. It wasn't that I had a problem with it - it was more that I looked forward to a drink at the end of the day too much. I chose not to fall into the trap and I am now a teetotaller.

It is much the same as when I decided to give up smoking. My mum was in hospital, dying of cancer (not smoking related) and I would see patients outside the hospital, wheeling their IV drip stands so that they could stand outside for a cigarette. I couldn't smoke any more - I threw away my cigarettes and lighter and will never have another cigarette. Six years have passed and I know that I am now a non-smoker.

The death of my mother also opened my eyes to the fact that I was damaging my health by being overweight. My poor mum was overweight. Ate badly. Didn't exercise. She became diabetic and had barely controlled asthma - if she had changed the way she lived she may have had a longer, healthier life. Instead she died at 69. Considering she was a highly intellectual woman, it always amazes me that she let herself lose control so much.

My ramblings bring me to the point .... I have seen bad things happen to people I cared for; I have had bad things happen to me. I am now taking back control of my life and will never again be ruled by food, alcohol, lethargy or bullies. I'm no saint - I just want the chance to live my life and if that means doing without a few things that taste nice, then so be it.

Have a good day everyone.

Love to you all.

Amanda x
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Good afternoon ladies & welcome to new friends.

Natalie - it is good to hear your recovery is going so well.

Jane - Good heavens! Be carefull & get well!

Autumn - I have no advice but send hugs & say look after yourself.

Jeanne - you're not silly at all. I think it's pretty brave. How about finely chopping or grating salad stuff? Plus I add grated veg to just about everything. For example, bolognese gets grated carrots & zucchini (shh, don't tell DH). With winter on the way, think of the warming & healthy veggie soups you can make.

Mimi - great to see you back & on form.

Randy - is it that you don't like water or like me & forget? At work, I find it so easy to get 8 glasses down just in the morning alone but at home I just don't think about it often enough so I'm trying to have at least half a glass EVERYTIME I go into the kitchen.

We start our 3 week holiday/vacation on Tuesday & I'm starting to worry about keeping on track. Holiday mean eating out more & when I eat out I want food that I wouldn't normally eat at home so tend not to pick the salad options. Need to work on this. Both places we are staying have fitness centres so my gym kit is packed. We also have wifi access & I already have a little notepad in my bag so I should be able to log my food at least once a day. Perhaps the damage will be limited:laugh:

Have a healthy week everyone.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,129 Member

Barbie - I know you're right I should open my diary but I'm ashamed of what I eat. I'm going to share a problem that I have that really bothers me and also affects my eating. I have no teeth. I can't chew hardly any meats which is O.K. but I also can't eat raw veggies and salads. I've never shared this before and I hope people don't think of me as silly.

:bigsmile: Jeanne, even without opening your food diary, you told me something that is a starting point to finding some solutions for you. You will read a lot on this thread about cravings and what to do about them. Some of the biggest offenders are bread and sweets and simple carbs. Staying away from foods that keep calling out to you to eat some more is the beginning of getting your out of control eating back on track. I almost never eat bread because it calls out to me to eat more. I don't eat desserts of any kind for the same reason.:laugh: If crunching on food doesn't work for you, here are some ideas of healthy soft food
    *frozen veggies (cauliflower, winter squash, broccoli) with a bit of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray or grated Parmesan
    *oatmeal ( the kind you cook, not the instant packets) with unsweetened applesauce
    *yogurt or soy milk smoothie with fruit made in a blender
    *hard boiled eggs
    * a high quality protein shake

Take it one day at a time.

As for exercise........get up from the computer right now and go for a five minute walk.........go for ten minutes later today.
    :bigsmile: Exercise doesn't have to be sweaty and exhausting and done at the gym or with jumbo weights.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    I love how everyone shares their problems, failures, fears and frustrations here. It is such a wonderful outlet and I learn from each of you who are brave enough to be very honest.

Autumn: Everyone gave you some good advice...I am sure it is very difficult but you are making great choices for yourself by removing yourself when you need to and eating well. I wish you all the best;-)

Jeanne: You certainly aren't silly...good for sharing and I think Barblie's suggestions are good ones. I know people who have lost lots of weight by using a blender or juicer to make one or 2 of their meals each day liquid meals full of fruits and vegetables,yogurt and even adding some protein powder. This may appeal to you. Good luck!

And your advice to get off the computer and out the door is one I am taking, right NOW, Barbie!

Take care, Dear Ladies! kackie:heart:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    :flowerforyou: Thank you ladies for your inspiring stories.

I made spaghetti yesterday and used prepared sauce. Of course it was full of sodium, and the scale did not go down. Not up either though. I also had wine in the late afternoon, which I just can't seem to leave at one glass. Weekends are tough that way. I also did not drink enough water. Taking Mimi's tip about logging anyway, I did. And I actually did better than I thought I did. Go figure.

On weekdays I have much less trouble drinking enough water and sticking with good eating habits. It is also no problem refusing a glass of wine at the end of the day, which DH so lovingly offers. I grew up in a home where no one ever consumed alcohol. And I do not need it now. But it is a social thing. Just time spent together enjoying that glass of wine. I need to find a replacement which will give me the same joy as the wine.

I am tired today as I did not sleep well last night (could it be the wine?). So I need to be extra vigilant about what I put in my mouth. Water, water, drink water.

ttyl
    :heart: Rebel:heart:
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    I'm baaaaack. Finally rid of my sinus infection. I now know the exact location of my sigmoid sinus!! :ohwell:

I had great plan for the week DH was gone. I was going to wash windows, sort closets, ream the finished room over the garage... instead I alternated between reading when I could and snoozing in a chair for most of the week. But hey, I'm well now and have my energy back. It's off to the gym tomorrow! :happy:

Robin – I'm so glad you have developed a plan and are back at it. Being in control and having a plan is the only way to go. I feel so much better when I'm on target instead of just wallowing along. I am headed back to the straight and narrow path again myself. I love your statement “I am such a work in progress”. Boy, that sure sums it up for me as well.

You are one determined lady and I know you will succeed. :smile:

Peggy – Way to go on nipping it in the bud. :drinker: It is so darn easy to say it's only x pounds, I'll get on that Monday, or after this next event, or whenever. You, on the other hand, are dealing with it NOW. That attitude is how you got those amazing loss numbers and will keep them off! I too have a carb monster and know that I can never go back to eating them in quantity. Every single time I think “now I can handle it”, I prove to myself that I can't.

Natalie – Yea! Tomorrow you get behind the wheel again. So glad you are doing well with the knee. :bigsmile:

Jeannie – I hope the neurologist can get to the bottom of your hypoglycemia. Going around light headed and feeling faint has got to be the pits. My only thoughts on soft foods for you have been expressed by others. I would stress the soup idea though. I made a big batch of lentil veggie soup with some home ground skinless chicken last night. Yummy, easy to eat, and very healthy.

Mimi – Woo Hoo! Down a pound and a half. That's the way it's done.

Jane – Keeping a good thought for your xray results. You are a champ at keeping your sense of humor and perspective. :happy:

Autumn – What a great choice you made. Leaving the situation and then not eating your frustration – way to go! :drinker:

Amanda -
    My ramblings bring me to the point .... I have seen bad things happen to people I cared for; I have had bad things happen to me. I am now taking back control of my life and will never again be ruled by food, alcohol, lethargy or bullies. I'm no saint - I just want the chance to live my life and if that means doing without a few things that taste nice, then so be it.

I have to commit this to memory and repeat it often – thanks.

To the rest of you great ladies – have a wonderful day!

Faye
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,029 Member
    Faye, I am glad your sinus infection is gone. :happy:
    Rebel, this has been the first week in a long long time with no alcohol. I feel amazing. I do miss the taste but not the feeling or cals. It has helped me make good choices with food. I too have no problem with food and water during the week but the weekends bring no real routine so it gets messy.
    Kackie, I too love this forum. so many wonderful ladies to share with and to vent to. I couldn't do it without you all.
    corqueen, enjoy your holiday, make smart choices but don't stress about it.

To everyone else - Have a super dooper Sunday!!!!!
  • randylevy
    randylevy Posts: 67 Member
    Hi, I'm struggling with an alcoholic in my life. Here's my story....I gained 15 lbs this past year. Can't believe I let myself go, but after a racquet ball injury last Jan, started laying on couch, watching tv, and drinking wine. What a loser. So now, something clicked and I decided this week, to get back in to shape. I want to go back to AZ, looking hot, firm, and start another band.

My problem is everytime I'm on a healthy roll, my alcoholic boyfriend has too much to drink, gets mad at me over nothing, starts blaming me for everything wrong, then I want to start eating. Before that, I would probably just have a glass of wine and somewhat shut him out. Perhaps my eyes are being opened now, but meanwhile, I don't understand why stuffing my face with food helps anything or why I do it. I've heard of comfort foods, but it still doesn't make sense.

This afternoon, after he drank for 5 hrs straight, he became very arrogant and well, a drunk. I grabbed a large glass of water, my purse with keys, and took a drive. Ended up at panera bread for dinner...had a great low cal meal, then came back and he was passed out on the bed, which was a relief. Now I'm typing to fellow over 50's women for support and courage. First time I've really opened up about my situation.

Instinctively, I know a lot of people would tell you to get out and get out fast. But, you haven't mentioned this is what you want or that domestic violence is involved. The best thing you can do for yourself is AL-Anon. Go. Don't just think about it. They will help you cope with an alcoholic in your life. They will also help you when and if you want to get out.

I wish you the best of luck. We are here for you, if only to listen.

Take Care.

Randy
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    It is Sunday and a rather solemn day. :frown: Remembering what happened 10 years ago today just makes you shiver. During mass this morning, the priest was giving his homily and said he would stop in a few seconds to take a moment of silence…. because at that precise moment 10 years ago was the time the first plane hit the first tower. What an intense and solemn moment. :cry: My prayers to all who were personally affected ….as well as the rest of us who will never experience the confidence in security we felt before 9/11.:cry:

Welcome Litra!:flowerforyou: I started 2 years ago at 61 for many of the same reasons.:wink: My knees and back were bothering me and I knew I had to do something to improve my quality of life as it would get worse as we get older. I take Glucosamine Chondroitin and do the treadmill everyday. I do not have any more pain in my knees and am sure that taking 55 pounds off of them helps! You can do it too!!!:wink:

Connie I love the landscaping. I looked in your profile and saw the before picture. Absolutely beautiful!:flowerforyou:

Barbie, as always, thank you for your advice.:flowerforyou: I love hearing what you have to say. Those drinks that you use, you say make you feel full and then there’s the cleansing ones. All I can think of is gas and bloat or diarrhea!:noway: Do they have that kind of side effects???:huh:

Autumn that must be a difficult situation. You handled it well by getting away and having a lo cal meal! :flowerforyou: As far as the comfort food thing….to me they call it that because the moment you are eating it, it tastes good …and for a second…comforts you. They forget about the aftermath when guilt and anger sets in…..and you want to eat more!! :angry: What an awful cycle to get in. Glad you stayed cool!!!:flowerforyou:
    My husband, 3 daughters and I am musicians. I have a daughter in a band, one who is a cantor at church and my husband sings in nursing homes. He used to be an opera singer and play in Country Western bands, too. Me…I’m a “Has been” singer.:laugh:

Last night my SIL invited us over for dinner and insisted we didn’t bring anything. She had this wonderful salad with about 6 different vegetables! Mmmmm:tongue: But the main course was RAVIOLI!:noway: Now I don’t usually eat any sort of pasta, because quite frankly, like you Marie, it isn’t worth all those calories. So, because they were frozen, and she and I get along real well, I asked to look at the bag. 250 calories for 9. She said “No one’s counting calories tonight!!!” and laughed. My husband took the bowl of ravioli, and making fun of me started counting them as he put some on his plate! (He’s really very proud of my progress but loves to pull my leg). However, you can be sure that when I took some there were no more than 9 of them, which I tracked when I came home. :bigsmile:

Phyllis be safe…..!:love:

Jean, good luck with the exercising!:flowerforyou:

Sally, glad you’re getting back on track!:flowerforyou:

Amanda, my tail bone kills me since I lost weight and I work in an office sitting down all day! In January I will be working 6 days a week (Tax season over here)…and I’m dreading it.:frown: Even a pillow doesn’t do much good so I try to do as much standing as I can. It’s a bummer isn’t it….no pun intended!!!:laugh:
    It’s sad to hear that you had to suffer abuse at the hands of your first husband.:cry: You are a strong and courageous woman!!!:flowerforyou:

Geri have a great vacation!:flowerforyou:

Angel, Lisa, Marilyn, Natalie, Randy, Kackie, Rebel, Mimi, Robin… and everyone else, sending greetings and hope you have a good day!
    :love:

BirdieM:heart:
  • BirdieM
    Okay, if some of my previous post doesn't make sense...I realized that I was replying to 2 threads! It's tough to get old!!!!:embarassed:
    BirdieM:embarassed:

Not having a good posting day....can you tell????:laugh:
  • BirdieM
    Okay, if some of my previous post doesn't make sense...I realized that I was replying to 2 threads! It's tough to get old!!!!:embarassed:
    BirdieM:embarassed:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member

Amanda x

i sorry with what you went through with your exhusband...... thank you for stating the above....
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Amanda, Thank you for your post. It was very good. Jeannie
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    I watched the television with a heavy heart today as I saw Americans making rubbings and kissing the names of their loved ones at the new memorial. However, I lift my hands filled with hope and gratitude as I remember the sense of family as our country came together in the weeks following the tragedy. I shed a tear of sadness and a tear of joy for my country today.