Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

COVID19 - To Vaccinate or To Not Vaccinate

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    sijomial, I don't think the AZ vaccine is being used in the U.S., but there have been 124 million doses given to people in the past three months of the Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccines in this country. That's over 13% of the entire U.S. population. I think if there was going to be some smoking gun it would have become apparent by now.

When I was given my first Pfizer shot I was also given a CDC app code to report any and all vaccination side-effects and to be updated with any pertinent new observations. I chose not to get involved in it, but I think it's being as transparent as is possible. This country is so litigious that I'm sure the sharks are circling just waiting for a drop of blood in the water-type problem.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sijomial, I don't think the AZ vaccine is being used in the U.S., but there have been 124 million doses given to people in the past three months of the Pfizer or Moderna mRNA vaccines in this country. That's over 13% of the entire U.S. population. I think if there was going to be some smoking gun it would have become apparent by now.

When I was given my first Pfizer shot I was also given a CDC app code to report any and all vaccination side-effects and to be updated with any pertinent new observations. I chose not to get involved in it, but I think it's being as transparent as is possible. This country is so litigious that I'm sure the sharks are circling just waiting for a drop of blood in the water-type problem.

The US regulators demanded their own trials of the Oxford-AZ vaccine rather than accept the trials done in the UK and Europe and this trial has just completed and your regulators will consider and decide whether to licence it or not to add to the selections of vaccines available for use.

I had my first shot of the AZ vaccine a few weeks ago and second one is booked for May. Unlike the EU which seems highly politicised the UK has generally been very keen to get vaccinated as soon as possible and the uptake has been very successful. Infection rates and hospitalisation has plummeted here.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    JustaNoob wrote: »
    I'm not super opinionated about this. For me, 2020 was just so exhausting that I could not keep up with all of the information being thrown at me. Normally, I am a thinking person who would try to see both points of view and then make informed opinions but I'm not a scientist and I didn't have the capacity to keep up with everything.

So I got my first Covid shot last weekend. I am so past the stage of trying to decipher everything and more in the "just tell me what I have to do and I'll do it" stage.

Honestly, we CAN'T be experts in everything we need to be. I'm all for people taking their scientific and medical literacy into their own hands and learning how to interpret varying sources of information, but I think part of the pickle we're in is that too many people are skipping the preliminary work and just deciding that they -- without any special effort -- are as qualified as people who work with viruses and infectious diseases all the time. There's no shame, IMO, in knowing that we don't know what we need to know and listening to people who do this for a living.

There have been many times when I've read about a subject, not known what to do, and just gone to my doctor and asked for their help with a decision. Hasn't steered me wrong yet.

There's too many people trying to apply their regular common sense and non-medical inferences to this subject and it's resulting in nothing more useful than some Facebook memes about how you shouldn't get a vaccine because if you ate it, it would hurt you.
    Which is, by the way, another lie. You could totally eat it and it wouldn’t hurt you.

I can't believe the meme lied to me! :D
This discussion has been closed.