Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    If anything, I end up working more hours because of the hour plus I save not having to commute and prepare for the office. I can do a vast majority of my work remotely and have only needed to go about half a dozen times. Once we exit this, I would be fine going in once or twice a week to help with camaraderie and coordination with our team and customers.

Yep. I save so much time in the mornings, just bringing my breakfast to my desk and eating it while starting the day. I usually end up working through what would be an office day’s morning commute, lunch hour, and evening commute, so I work more hours in the day while spending the same total time to complete the day. As a result of this, I have so many extra hours ”saved” I’m now taking Friday off once a month just to burn some of those hours off. In the past, my social schedule also kept my workdays in check, as I usually had someplace to be after work and couldn’t work late even if I had something I could have easily focused on.

The 1-2 times per week camaraderie-and-coordination idea is something my colleagues frequently bring up as the ideal, and I agree with them. For me, personally, it might require organizing tasks since I do recruiting and candidates might wish to return to in-person interviews, but I’d love to set it up so I have some ”meeting days” at the office and some focused work days at home every week.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    My wife and I got the Pfizer shot on Friday afternoon. Woke up on Saturday AM feeling a little cruddy with a very sore arm. By Saturday night, we were both fine. A bit tired during Sat day. Second shot scheduled already.

Related to office versus remote -- I think we'll see more shared spaces, like sharing desks/cubicles, so that not everyone has to come in every day. There are certain occupations where it can't be helped. One area is high level construction design, for instance -- so much collaboration, changes, working on things together that many in that area want to get back to the office. Project Management has been working fine from home.

I think you'll have companies come up with some creative solutions, like individual keyboards, keyboard covers, perhaps even individual chairs. I can see some blowback on this, though. I wouldn't want to share a personal space like a cubicle with a slob. If companies don't require people to come in every day, they sure aren't going to spend money on the same amount of floor space.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Looks like we will be headed for another shut down - they are suspending the Astra Zeneca vaccine in Canada for people under 55 - and cases are climbing here. I was reading yesterday that researchers have an idea as to what is causing these rare blood clot reactions, so hopefully that is resolved quickly.