Calling all runners...

Replies

• Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    @RunsWithBees i don't have that problem here! The weather has been really nice, but that still means below 0, snow and ice!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    @RunsWithBees i don't have that problem here! The weather has been really nice, but that still means below 0, snow and ice!

Nice! I run better when it’s cooler and I actually prefer it... today it’s gonna be 80 degrees! Unseasonably warm! B)
  • roma5
    roma5 Posts: 2 Member
    Looking for accountability from other runners
  • gutzbgon
    gutzbgon Posts: 57 Member
    Ran 8kms yesterday, I had to breakthrough the 7km barrier as I had set that as some sort of psychological hurdle not to pass, but now I hope I just can continue to add distance in small increments.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Run Austin Virtual Series Race #1 The Wildflower Mile in 9:40, my first ever virtual race...

And I'm trying to hype it up for excitement purposes because not in a million years would I ever opt to run a virtual if it wasn't free for anyone registered to run the Austin Marathon. Nonetheless I ran 3 Sunday Funday miles today and it was all good...!!!

0f2qwx3naehn.jpg
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    I know this is a broad question, but I thought I'd ask and get people's thoughts. Before I do, I'd like to point out that my consistency has been all over the place this past nine months.

I've been experiencing various pains and calf tightness in my left leg during/after running. The symptoms have been inconsistent. Sometimes it's just‌ ‌a tight calf, sometimes it starts across the heel, sometimes it's the ankle. When I wake up in the morning, everything is fine and things don't start bothering me until 2alking around for a while. Yoga for tight hips/etc. Seems to be helping, until I start running. I alternate between two running shoes and both have about 100 miles. My boyfriend has always teased me (in a loving way) about how heavy/hard and stiff I am when running/landing.

I have a half Ironman in September and want to take care of this now (as it has gotten to the point the pain starts at about 15 minutes into my run).

My question: where do I start/go to first?
    New running shoes, running analysis with a coach, doctor for physical therapy, start at ground zero (15min run with a build of time as issues lesson), smaller run intervals (currently I do 9 minutes slow run 1 minute walk)?

I can provide more details if needed.

PS: I've been running for about 5 years or more, and did my last 10k Jan 2019
  • SwtHedgehog
    My yoga session today did remind me how significantly more tight/stiff my left side is.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    I know this is a broad question, but I thought I'd ask and get people's thoughts. Before I do, I'd like to point out that my consistency has been all over the place this past nine months.

I've been experiencing various pains and calf tightness in my left leg during/after running. The symptoms have been inconsistent. Sometimes it's just‌ ‌a tight calf, sometimes it starts across the heel, sometimes it's the ankle. When I wake up in the morning, everything is fine and things don't start bothering me until 2alking around for a while. Yoga for tight hips/etc. Seems to be helping, until I start running. I alternate between two running shoes and both have about 100 miles. My boyfriend has always teased me (in a loving way) about how heavy/hard and stiff I am when running/landing.

I have a half Ironman in September and want to take care of this now (as it has gotten to the point the pain starts at about 15 minutes into my run).

My question: where do I start/go to first?
    New running shoes, running analysis with a coach, doctor for physical therapy, start at ground zero (15min run with a build of time as issues lesson), smaller run intervals (currently I do 9 minutes slow run 1 minute walk)?

I can provide more details if needed.

PS: I've been running for about 5 years or more, and did my last 10k Jan 2019

Are both shoes the same brand/style? Did you change recently (lower drop perhaps)?

I blasted my calf last october and had to DNS a couple races (including a marathon). The way I rehabbed with with strengthening exercises. Check Dr. Google for some good exercises for achilles issues - these are useful for calves as well.

You can also look at your form. If you are landing heavy or over striding that could be an issue. Quick steps with your feet landing under you. Make sure your not landing too much on your toes.

If it doesn't get better I'd see a physical therapist.

Good luck.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    Weather looks quite ok. I'm going out on a run a bit later. Spent some money on a buddy pouch H2O, basically a little magnetic bag with water bottle. I'm honestly not fully convinced by the quality: they use neodymium magnets in combination with not very strong fabric - thus this will break down sooner or later. But it's the best bag solution for smaller women with shorter upper body and a waist.
  • HadaraDavi
    HadaraDavi Posts: 5 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Hello there! I represent the extra slow runners club here. But I run, hence I'm a runner <3

Me too!!
  • HadaraDavi
    HadaraDavi Posts: 5 Member
    Just started running again, 38, fighting with shin splints right now. Any recommendations?
  • SwtHedgehog
    I'm also a slow runner. I consider myself a No-man's runner. On races, I'm slower than the runners, faster than the walkers so I fall, in that space where it's quiet/spacious.
  • grmreapper
    grmreapper Posts: 29 Member
    I have been running for about 2 years now due to covid most of my scheduled runs were pushed back to this year I've got 3 half marathons this year. I never liked running in high school or when I was in the Army, now I enjoy it. nothing like setting out on a run with no real route planned just go wherever and how far my legs will take me. Ultimate goal is to run a marathon.
  • redduck1963
    redduck1963 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm just returning to running, I was pretty serious about it in my early and mid forties, got more serious about cycling for quite a while, then opened a business and quit doing any sort of self care. That is changing this year, I'm trying to both ride more and harder, and I'm training for a 5K in mid May, and hope to continue on to longer distances again.
  • SwtHedgehog
    I bought a pool belt to help me run without the impact. I have an appointment later this month for a run analysis/PT at the UW, unless cancelations come up and I can get in earlier. Has anyone had luck with this?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I usually do a long-ish run on Sunday, midmorning. Today was 7 miles followed by a 1 mile cool down walk. My feet are sore today. I'm wearing Brooks Ghost, but used to be a fan of Mizuno Wave Inspire. It seems difficult to find my size and style for a good price any more.