Calling all runners...

13468913

Replies

  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 167 Member
    DancingMoosie: Have you tried Brooks Adrenaline? I used to run in the Wave Inspire, but then they got too narrow for me. I used to love the ASICS Kinsei, but they then narrowed the toe too much and stopped making them.

    Neffy 1989: That's awesome that you were able to run 4 minutes, progress is progress and it's a start. Good luck on your running journey. I've always had a love/hate relationship with running (painful memories of gym class), but I still try.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 167 Member
    LoveyChar: Good luck on the remainder of your training and the race. Is this your first one and/or the first one since the pandemic? We tried a virtual type one (it was more of a challenge), but it just didn't have the same feel; I love the traditional race atmosphere.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,304 Member
    @SwtHedgehog It's my second! I ran Austin Marathon last year, February 2020, before the you know what hit the fan! And thank you...!!!
  • GL458
    GL458 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm 63 years old, female and run 40+ miles a week. I started when I was 35 and have always loved it. I believe that everyone can find exercise that they love. When you find it you keep doing it. :)
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,304 Member
    GL458 wrote: »
    I'm 63 years old, female and run 40+ miles a week. I started when I was 35 and have always loved it. I believe that everyone can find exercise that they love. When you find it you keep doing it. :)

    Love this and I agree 100%!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,602 Member
    DancingMoosie: Have you tried Brooks Adrenaline? I used to run in the Wave Inspire, but then they got too narrow for me. I used to love the ASICS Kinsei, but they then narrowed the toe too much and stopped making them.

    Neffy 1989: That's awesome that you were able to run 4 minutes, progress is progress and it's a start. Good luck on your running journey. I've always had a love/hate relationship with running (painful memories of gym class), but I still try.

    I have not tried the adrenaline. I'm thinking I probably don't need that much support. I really liked the last model of revels, before they switched it from a light cushion shoe to energy. Not sure what to try next that won't be too $$$
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 856 Member
    @DancingMoosie have you tried to see if you can get the old model? Sometimes you can get a really good deal.
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Hey I'm an off and on runner. Started again a few months after some set back injuries, but hey let the family running team reunion begin.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,602 Member
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    @DancingMoosie have you tried to see if you can get the old model? Sometimes you can get a really good deal.

    Yes, always on the lookout. Apparently, so is everyone else. Very hard to find. And then sometimes the price is even higher.
  • Rach7671
    Rach7671 Posts: 45 Member
    Hey. Team sloth here, slow is the new fast 🤣. Started running last year with C25K, did a couple of 5k's. Have regained some weight and struggling to get back into it. Going to have a go at 'jeffing' to get me back out there!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,304 Member
    I ran 15.5 strong miles today. Marathon is in 7 weeks from today.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,304 Member
    Rach7671 wrote: »
    Hey. Team sloth here, slow is the new fast 🤣. Started running last year with C25K, did a couple of 5k's. Have regained some weight and struggling to get back into it. Going to have a go at 'jeffing' to get me back out there!

    What is that? I've never heard of it...
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 856 Member
    Me either! I just looked it up. Its using the run/ walk method, which is what I dofor my long runs. I do run 10 min, walk 1, and I do find that my time is faster than I'd I just ran.

    https://www.mariapali.co.uk/what-on-earth-is-jeffing/
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,304 Member
    edited April 2021
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    Me either! I just looked it up. Its using the run/ walk method, which is what I dofor my long runs. I do run 10 min, walk 1, and I do find that my time is faster than I'd I just ran.

    https://www.mariapali.co.uk/what-on-earth-is-jeffing/

    Hey thank you! Wow, I'll have to try it!!!

    Editing to say: My husband said it's called Fartlek. I'm going to look up that one now!

    Editing again to say that they're different things...but similar!

    Thank you! I'm glad this thread is here, support and learning and I have alot, yet, to learn!

    I don't know...I'm confused, reading. They almost seem the same. You say tomato and I say to-motto but they're the same thing!
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 856 Member
    @LoveyChar I think fartleks is speed work. When you are running you speed up for a random distance. For example, I'll sprint until the next tree, then slow down, recover and pick a new spot.

    The other, I call 10 and 1s, you do your whole run running 10, walking 1. Even at the beginning when you don't need that break. The theory is letting your body recover for that one min will keep your average pace higher than if you just run. It's also great for when you get tired. Instead of thinking I've got 5 km left, it's I've got 6 min until a rest.

    Right now I'm doing 3 runs a week. One is sprints, one is 4 km steady run and one is 8 k. 10 and 1s. Last week, my pace for the steady run was 6.29/km and my pace for the 8km was 6:34/km. So quite similar even though we had 4 walk breaks.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,304 Member
    edited April 2021
    Mrscanmore wrote: »
    @LoveyChar I think fartleks is speed work. When you are running you speed up for a random distance. For example, I'll sprint until the next tree, then slow down, recover and pick a new spot.

    The other, I call 10 and 1s, you do your whole run running 10, walking 1. Even at the beginning when you don't need that break. The theory is letting your body recover for that one min will keep your average pace higher than if you just run. It's also great for when you get tired. Instead of thinking I've got 5 km left, it's I've got 6 min until a rest.

    Right now I'm doing 3 runs a week. One is sprints, one is 4 km steady run and one is 8 k. 10 and 1s. Last week, my pace for the steady run was 6.29/km and my pace for the 8km was 6:34/km. So quite similar even though we had 4 walk breaks.

    Thank you for the clarification! I'm going to give this a shot! I'll try them both, but "jeffing" first.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 167 Member
    What's a TKR runner?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,602 Member
    7 mile run yesterday. My feet were sore!