Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    At least for Atkins, maybe the extra fat was a good thing then? Not stressing about it so much. :)

UGH....I consumed about 150g of fat today...and likely over on NET carbs....I probably ended up at about 25 or 30....not horrible, but the fat grams are enough to be totally ashamed of. Hopefully such a high fat consumption today (and not even good fats at that) wont totally derail me....and my calories were so high too...I can't remember the last time I had above 1400, let alone 2000!!!

...I know we are not supposed to count fat and calories, but I cant help it on here if I want to keep track of the carbs too...

The more fat you eat and keep protein moderate the faster the fat will shed from your body. Nothing at all to be ashamed of!!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    2 8oz. pks. philadelphia cream cheese
    1/2 cup sweetener (I use spenda)
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    I bought some cream cheese today and I'm about to make a half batch of these. I can't wait.

I also bought some pork rinds and want to try out the french toast recipe for breakfast tomorrow.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Also, a quick tip for all who like hard boiled eggs.

Someone told me that if you poke a hole in the shell before boiling them, the air seeps out and the yolk doesn't turn green and it doesn't have that sulfuric smell.

I tried it last night with a thumb tack. I think the hole might have been too large because a little bit of the egg white leaked out, but it does work. The yolk tastes a lot fresher this way. Going to try using a small diameter needle next time to try and keep the egg whites from leaking out while they're cooking.
    Someone told me once that once the water gets boiling, 8 minutes is the perfect amount of time to cook your egg without turning the yolk green. It works every time!
    OMG, I went to Costco last night and they are selling two dozen hard boiled eggs, already shelled, for $4. I can barely buy a dozen eggs for under $2 anymore. These are such a great deal!
  • HeartLunger
    Options

Also, a quick tip for all who like hard boiled eggs.

Someone told me that if you poke a hole in the shell before boiling them, the air seeps out and the yolk doesn't turn green and it doesn't have that sulfuric smell.

I tried it last night with a thumb tack. I think the hole might have been too large because a little bit of the egg white leaked out, but it does work. The yolk tastes a lot fresher this way. Going to try using a small diameter needle next time to try and keep the egg whites from leaking out while they're cooking.
    Someone told me once that once the water gets boiling, 8 minutes is the perfect amount of time to cook your egg without turning the yolk green. It works every time!

Yolks turn green because they are over cooked. The sulfuric smell will happen regardless. When I boil eggs I peel them and then place them in water with a little bit of vinegar and then put the container in the refrigerator. This will keep the sulfuric smell at bay.

I place my eggs in cold water in a pan dropping the eggs in so they get a hairline crack (this helps with peeling if your eggs are fresh - if they aren't fresh they are easier to peel because of the buildup of sulfur creates space from the expanding gas). Once the water comes to a boil set the timer for 8 minutes. When the timer goes off I drain a majority of the hot water and add cold water and a bunch of ice. This helps to eliminate carry over cooking and green yolks. ;)
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    I crushed up pork rinds and used as breading for chicken and fish tonight for dinner. It was pretty good! I would definitely recommend using pork rinds as a breading for any meat. Add seasonings (just not salt) to flavor.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I crushed up pork rinds and used as breading for chicken and fish tonight for dinner. It was pretty good! I would definitely recommend using pork rinds as a breading for any meat. Add seasonings (just not salt) to flavor.
    My favorite is to add parmesan cheese, granulated garlic and onion with the pork rinds.

Another great way to add flavor is brush on spicy brown mustard (instead of an egg wash or whatever else you use) to the chicken before breading it. It helps the breading stick and it has a ton of flavor for almost no calories or carbs.
  • pork_belly
    Options

Sounds like a great idea. Will have to give it a try. Thanks!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    MommatoSam and Dittiepe: You both ROCK! Awesome weight loss and inches! M2S, nice new profile pic! I never measure, either, but a picture speaks a thousand words!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Stopping in to say have a great weekend everyone. I'm gonna bust my behind to get out of the 150's this week. I've struggled this past week getting enough calories. I know that's why I've stalled lately. But, I'm so not giving up. 15 lbs to goal and I will be there this year. I am determined.

Happy Low Carbing!
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Quote:

The more fat you eat and keep protein moderate the faster the fat will shed from your body. Nothing at all to be ashamed of!!!

End Quote

I thought I was supposed to eat a good amount of protien and have been incorporating low carb protein shakes to increase the levels of protein -, so is this possibly why I am stuck at the same weight? What ratios would you suggest? I only have 5lbs to lose but just cannot get rid!
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Quote:

End Quote

I thought I was supposed to eat a good amount of protien and have been incorporating low carb protein shakes to increase the levels of protein -, so is this possibly why I am stuck at the same weight? What ratios would you suggest? I only have 5lbs to lose but just cannot get rid!

Started induction again last monday. Have gained 2lb and up 0.4% body fat! What gives? I really do not know why my body refuses to go under 140lbs and stay there! Have averaged 1500 cals and 20 carbs average 130 fat and 15 ish fibre. Drinking 100oz water.

Sorry that I am always so negative. I know this way of eating works. I am 5ft 4 142lb (today) but I never seem to be able to stay at 140 or go under 140lb. I even had this problem when I got to this weight in the past on low calorie!

I have introduced coconut oil in the last week too (approx 45 g per day) - could this not be helping?

I am having darkish pink keto sticks too.

Any tips please, my wedding is in 3 weeks and I need the 5lbs off!

Thanks in advance

Jaycee x
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see this thread. I'll probably be going this route, next. Plateauing after three weeks has steam coming out of my ears, and frankly, this seems to happen EVERY TIME I try to shed any weight. *snarl* Since I have a BMI of 42, I should NOT have to be restricted to losing a quarter of a pound a week just to keep my body from fighting me!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    SO frustrated...I am up 2 pounds...and I don't know if it is TOM or if I am eating something wrong. If I know something has 0 carbs, I do not log it, so my food diary is not accurate, however I stick o 20g of carbs NET...eating more veggies....getting SO freakin frustrated!

Also, where can I find the keto strips? I have not been using them, and think maybe that would help to know if I am even reaching ketosis....
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Quote:

End Quote

Started induction again last monday. Have gained 2lb and up 0.4% body fat! What gives? I really do not know why my body refuses to go under 140lbs and stay there! Have averaged 1500 cals and 20 carbs average 130 fat and 15 ish fibre. Drinking 100oz water.

Sorry that I am always so negative. I know this way of eating works. I am 5ft 4 142lb (today) but I never seem to be able to stay at 140 or go under 140lb. I even had this problem when I got to this weight in the past on low calorie!

I have introduced coconut oil in the last week too (approx 45 g per day) - could this not be helping?

Thanks in advance

Jaycee

Can you give a sample of your diary for a day or two? How often/vigorous are you exercising? How long are your exercise times? Are you getting too much sodium? Too little?
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    SO frustrated...I am up 2 pounds...and I don't know if it is TOM or if I am eating something wrong. If I know something has 0 carbs, I do not log it, so my food diary is not accurate, however I stick o 20g of carbs NET...eating more veggies....getting SO freakin frustrated!

Also, where can I find the keto strips? I have not been using them, and think maybe that would help to know if I am even reaching ketosis....

the 2lb are probably TOM if it's your time. You should log everything, because even if it has 0 carbs it might have other things you need to log - sodium, potassium, etc.
    You should be able to find keto strips at any pharmacy. Though my rite aid doesn't have them, stupid damn thing. lol
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Ok, I am purely talking from experience. I don't know how long you've been eating Low Carb but I hope your working the phases. I also was stuck for a long time and I was eating 20 net carbs and about 1500 calories. Then I dug out the old trusty book again and read into OWL again. I started increasing my carbs but watching my calories and woosh! I've lost 35 lbs since February. I have worked up the carb ladder and currently eat veggies and whole grain breads. NOW this isn't for everyone .Dr. ATkins said it's trial and error. Like I said I used the carb ladder. I introduced these healthy carbs in weekly and watched for bad side effects. So far I can tell you that I still can't eat white flour ..it causes my nose to close! LOL. Which is fine by me because I don't really want to eat that anyway. But with you being so close to your goal weight you may need to shake things up a bit. But remember to only increase your carbs by 5 grams weekly and only introduce one type of new carb a week so you can stop it it something goes wrong. You also have to give a change a week to know if something is working right. I have to watch calories. You may not have to. I never watch fat! ever!
    Anyway just pull out your trusty 1992 Dr ATkins new diet revolution and read about how you introduce and raise your carb limit again. Good luck.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. I've been eating the Atkins way for over a month now and I often feel very tired lately. I had stopped exercising (something I didn't want to do) but I knew I would lose weight anyway and I mostly have been. But the point to the exercise is muscle toning and getting doses of endorphins, etc. So I forced myself to exercise a bit on Saturday and again today but am exhausted. I did induction for two weeks but found it too difficult to stay at 20 net carbs per day so I gave up and I have been keeping mostly to about 25-30 net carbs per day. I only had one cheat day (about 10 days ago) but otherwise have been good. Last week I lost zero pounds and as I have noticed it is sometimes hard to actually eat enough calories each day I wonder if I am not eating enough... I know we don't count them but I am sure I need to have at least 1200 or so per day. On an up note, I just took my measurements after about 3 weeks and discovered some reduction there. :)

I seem to recall reading that eating enough fat is important. I guess I'll pull out the book and read up on what to do about it. I know this is a frequent question on the thread, but if anyone has some advice I'd appreciate it.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Quote:

End Quote

Thanks in advance

Jaycee x

Are you still drinking the protein shakes? I would stay away from them since you are stalling. Eat real protein foods. The coconut oil is definitely good. Stick with that. What are your ratios? Should be something like this:

10% carbs/25% protein/65% fats = 1500 calories or so. However maybe try eating a bit more or stagger your calories.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I am slowly feeling better upping my calories. Fighting to make sure I get in at least around 1600 or so. I am not swelling up as much as I was and my sodium is not a whole lot better so it must have been the low cal high cal burn that was making the difference. I dropped 6.5 last week but stayed at 300 all week so hope it will woosh again this week.

Has anyone tried the fat fast Dr.Atkins had in his books with cream cheese and macadamias? I am allergic to macadamias you think hazelnuts would work?
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I am slowly feeling better upping my calories. Fighting to make sure I get in at least around 1600 or so. I am not swelling up as much as I was and my sodium is not a whole lot better so it must have been the low cal high cal burn that was making the difference. I dropped 6.5 last week but stayed at 300 all week so hope it will woosh again this week.

Has anyone tried the fat fast Dr.Atkins had in his books with cream cheese and macadamias? I am allergic to macadamias you think hazelnuts would work?
    Hazelnuts are a bit different than macadamia nuts. They have more protein and less fat. I'm sure the reason he suggested macadamias is that their calories are almost entirely from fat.

100 g of Macadamias = 76 g fat, 13 g carbs with 8 from fiber, 8 g protein
    100 g of hazelnuts or filberts = 61 g fat, 17 g carbs with 10 from fiber, 15 g protein

You could certainly give it a try, though.