Relapsers getting Real Healthy Accountability group- 2020-2021

Replies

• SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Around 100 g for my goal weight. I was in the low to mid 70s.
  • Rashmi411
    Rashmi411 Posts: 67 Member
    Suzanne - I do 100g 105 for my weight loss
    Its doable. It takes planning.

Today Its 12:41. I am planning a new job next week. I got laid off.

I cooked yesterday. I eat the same thing for 4 days. I eat the same thing Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Saturday night is my free meal.

I have a trainer I worked with years ago to get me from 191 to 125. I relapsed. I was not eating healthy after and he had no maintenance plan. He's excellent in terms of macros and helping people get fit. I said his attitude changed. I said I didnt feel right being on his website. He wont work with me again. I am 193 now. he said only 5 ppl he worked with have maintained and people need to be responsible. I know I went off theprogram. I also told him he had no maintenance plan. I dont know. I know I WAS unhealthy but I felt after I started relapsing he was judgemental. He was very supportive in the weight loss phase. I dont know.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    I'm still struggling with it some, but before I'd have sometimes one day a week in the 50s and that's no longer an issue at least. It's been easier since switching to a protein fortified yoghurt in my smoothies but it's lower in calories than the one I was using before 😕

I weighed myself this morning and I lost way too much again.

I would definitely not go back to that trainer, Rashmi. Did he give you enough of a foundation to be able to at least get the diet and fitness process started while you look for someone else if you need?
  • Rashmi411
    Hi Suzanne,

HOW Much is too much. Can you up your calories or even protein?

The trainer helped me lose when I was stuck. I was on a low carb program. He's actually technically superb. He said only 5 of his clients have maintained. Its strange.

Rashmi
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    0.5 kg in 5 days when I'm already at a healthy BMI and aiming for 0.25 kg/ week. I'm trying to increase my calories but with the higher protein I'm much less hungry.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,351 Member
    Hi everyone!

Thank you so much for starting this thread, @Rashmi411 !

I'm Christina, 5'4" and currently today at 186.8 lbs. (My profile picture is from my first round of weight loss, lol)

My story, let's see... Waay back when, I started at around 220 lb and made it down to about 155 (I felt very hot at that weight, and would happily stop weight loss there, even though BMI tells me that's still overweight- we all know BMI is trash).

A couple kids later...I started at 215 lb or thereabouts, at the end of 2019. From January to August of 2020, I went from 206 to 182. Checking my progress actually helps a lot, because I thought it was worse than it was! Anyway, between being at home all the time and the holidays, I've gone back up to starting 2021 at 188-190.

I've got a whole spreadsheet where I calculate how much I expect to lose given my TDEE and exercise calories, assuming, of course, that I log accurately. :wink: I've been completely filling that in for a month now, and lost about a pound based on the running average weight trendline I have going. Which, based on my calculations, should have been more, so I haven't been logging accurately. I know this works without exercise, but it works better when I do, so I need to be more consistent about that, as well.

I hate making weight-based goals, so I'll make progress based goals, instead. My progress goal is to lose at least 0.5 lb every week. If I do that, I'll be below 170 by the end of the year, which doesn't sound amazing, but will feel incredible. And after all, if slow weight loss is what gets done, it is still weight loss.

Goal for today will be simple: Log every gram of food. Every. Gram.

• Rashmi411
    Welcome Christina! Your slow and steady goal is awesome. I was away and i am re acclimating myself to this group.

I ate too much last night. I like your goal of logging every food gram!

Today I am going for a walk. I am prepping and starting meal planning on Friday.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 169 Member
    Welcome to the group; it's a great group. I am starting to ramp up my fitness/nutrition. We bought two fruits this evening that we typically don't have. On my drive back to WI the other day, WPR was hosting two physical therapists. They mentioned there was a study/article that said you should be eating at least 35 different fruits/vegetables a week, so I am seeing that as a challenge that I want to take on, or at least see if I can do that 1 week. If herbs (parsley, green onion, mint, etc.) count; it'll be much easier.

We are also considering subscribing to imperfect foods to have more fruits/vegetables delivered and maybe get more variety than just the usual
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    Hi everyone!

Goal for today will be simple: Log every gram of food. Every. Gram.

Done!

Thank you for the welcome, @Rashmi411 and @SwtHedgehog !

I think more fruits and vegetables is a great way to crowd out other things. How are you keeping track of 35 different :weary: fruits and vegetables a week? I got stuck down a rabbit hole of traditional chinese medicine and that way of eating earlier this year, and I ate so many more vegetables and drank more green tea as a result! It wasn't working for weight loss (can't remember why- might want to revisit it), but it felt good.

Goal for today: it's pizza night, and a hard seltzer has my name on it, so I'm going to put my goal as: I stick to all my planned meals and snacks, logged accurately. If I do that, I'll be on track.
  • SwtHedgehog
    I think I will need to just write them down on a list. I saw a package at the grocery store hat had multiple vegetables cut up for roasting. We decided it 2oulc make more sense to buy the ingredients and cut them up ourselves, since it said may contain. We are also thinking about getting a membership to Imperfect Foods. We did but asparagus and two new fruits (mango, kiwi). The kiwi is difficult to eat because it's a little overripe starting from the night we bought it. I will have to look up things to do with ripe kiwi. With summer coming up, it should be easier.

I also went to the physical therapist yesterday and started the session out in tears (it was all emotional). Everything I basically suspected was confirmed, but she did help me tweak some of the exercises I had been doing and added in a few more. She also reassured me that we should be able to correct this before official training begins and I can modify the book's training plan to meet my needs,, at least during we build phase and I can stay in communication with her about such things, so if helped to have reassurance from a professional.

She also confirmed what I knew about my feet/gait and the shoes I need. I am the rare flat footed person who underpronates (I must have been subconsciously overcorrecting). The guy at the shoe store looked at my gait and said I pronate. I need to learn to be more confident about such things. So for several years, I've been wearing support shoes while I was supposed to be wearing neutral so now we (at the house) suspect the shoes have just been making the underpronate worse.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
  • Dukare
    Dukare Posts: 144 Member
    Hi all!

I can't imagine getting 35 fruit n veggies in a week 😆🤔 I need to make a list and count how many we do...

Ripe fruit in smoothies! Yogurt n fruit! Add protein powder if needed.

The baby is eating more food so I'm trying to branch out for her. We have lentils that I finally made her, it's a hit, and we are usually good with fruits. Going to try avocado and eggplant for her next. Asparagus I'm stil debating on...gas ya know?

I also log in my snack or binge as then I'm in control, not the food.

Okay babe is upset. gotta go.

Cheers everyone!!!

T-35 weeks for me!......😵
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Hi all, sorry I’ve been so quiet. Somehow lost a bit of my drive having achieved a big milestone weight. Of course I didn’t weigh in for a week, somehow regained 2kg, and been slowly working it off. Even now I’m not sure if it’s genuine weight loss or just hormonal fluctuations 🙁. Anyone else have a massive weight drop over their period? (Apologies if TMI)

Anyway it’s been lovely catching up with what I missed, seeing new and old faces. This is a properly lovely thread ☺️

My update... back in school for my last training placement before I start as a Real Teacher in July. It’s going well so far but I now have this countdown in my head. Only 7 weeks left to learn everything I can while teaching my classes! It will be fine but wow it’s intense.

Other thing... the weather was nice so I headed out for a longer bike ride, like I used to do all the time. It was great but oh my the carb cravings afterwards. I easily ate more than I burned and the Hunger lasted for days. One of you is doing Iron Man... how do you cope with The Hunger?!
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    Even now I’m not sure if it’s genuine weight loss or just hormonal fluctuations 🙁. Anyone else have a massive weight drop over their period? (Apologies if TMI)
    \!

TMI incoming!

Hi @ClearNotCloudyMind! I actually always have the opposite thing happen, my weight goes up for my period and ovulation weeks both!

q3lfp5thfyre.png

Note: I only started this graph a month ago, so the spike for periods will not show, because I had just started losing again beforehand. The red is my period week, I usually get a nice big drop after that's done, and then a spike back up for ovulation week (in yellow). Drives me nuts, haha.

RE: Iron Man- I did marathon training once upon a time, and I was always hungry, but that big burn from all that running offset it, pretty much. I don't have any solutions for you, except maybe more protein and fiber foods, to feel fuller?
    I stick to all my planned meals and snacks, logged accurately. If I do that, I'll be on track.

Did not do that, but it worked out fine! I've started logging both here and on Cronometer, because their micronutrient information is just so good, I need to track sodium, and their entire food database is verified, as opposed to just green check stuff here. I might end up just logging there and coming here for community purposes.

Goal for today: putz in the garden, clean the house, do some knitting, and stay on track, food-wise. Log every gram.
  • SwtHedgehog
    I don't weigh myself because I know I am the type of person that would obsess and cry and self Saratoga. I try to go more by clothes fit and how I feel. I think I have noticed that I feel my slimmest around my period, which is a nice offset from the cramps, but it'd be nice to have that feeling around a different day.

I am currently restarting training for my first (and only; too many adventures/opportunities to do just one thing). When I first started ; especially last year, I started to crave vegetables more. If that happens, follow through with it. I started ing to other foods that didn't offer the benefits. There are books related to triathlon and I'm sure there are for bicycling also, that go more in depth with the nutrition by calculating percent macros based on weight, etc, I 'm just trying to eat more whole foods and be more intuitive. I'm afraid I'd end up on the chair reading/stressing than getting up and moving.

The house has agreed we'll try be 35 different fruitx/veggies in a week. We haven't yet started, but I did find an article where someone took the challenge 40, though. There were quite a few things I had never heard of. Thd woman pointed out that she was quite surprised at how full she felt.. At Hyvee, I did take a quick glance/count, and it is possible to even find that many.

https://www.well-well-well.co.uk/the-40-fruit-and-veg-challenge
  • SwtHedgehog
    I just found a website that has a full list of fruits and veggies. It also bas recipes and stories (one gives ideas on how to use some leftover parts that we'd typically throw away.

https://fruitsandveggies.org/fruits-and-veggies/#ingredient-list-s
  • SwtHedgehog
    I got 20 different fruits and Vegetables. Although I didn't get to 35, I did add in more fruits and a few extra vegetables. I like the challenge, or at least it's made us think more of adding fruitx/vegetables rather than than restricting things.
  • tinybry
    tinybry Posts: 71 Member
    Hey all, good to catch up and hear how everyone is doing :)

@Rashmi411 good to have you back - you can definitely do this. And for what it's worth, that trainer sounds like a one trick pony and not supporting people to transition from massive loss to healthy lifestyle that's sustainable is a massive gap. I keep fantasizing about having someone (professional) to help me plan and then hold me to it as it's the consistency I lack - however, I have to live with me for ever and that's just not sustainable!

I've not been great diet wise for last few weeks, not terrible but some less healthy meals and more food generally, trying to get back to some better balance and just a bit less... as creeping back up again (now back where I was in January...). Getting back to planning as that always helps me.

I'm also upping my workouts, disappointed to find that my running fitness has dropped further than I thought (thought all the walking through lockdown would have helped - not as much as I expected). I've committed to run a 10mile run at some point during May for a work fundraiser, so building up the miles and hoping that will help with the wider feeling fit.

voluntary commitments still providing some tough challenges, so just trying to keep going through the processes and aiming to get out the other side.

Well done everyone for keeping going and keeping supporting everyone.
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Yay, it wasn't hormones this time. Huzzah! Well, the fact that I haven't got the time to eat during the school day now I'm on my final placement. Lost half a kilo last week and can see no reason why that won't continue in the week to come. I reckon there will be 6 more weeks of rather reliable weight loss due to involuntary intermittent fasting, and then the summer and holidays and I can think about this again.

Several months in, I may have found a 'normal' that works for me. Trying to focus on every day eating that feels good rather than ghastly. Weight loss is only going to come through doing the right thing, day in and day out, boringly and forever. With how hard I'm finding this placement (trainee teacher), I don't really have the energy for additional fitness goals or foci right now. Just trying to feel healthy, get through the next few weeks, and learn how to be a decent teacher.

Will probably be quiet on here until early June (half term). Best of luck everyone, keep smashing it. I love dropping in and hearing your news. Stay safe x

• SuzanneC1l9zz
    Oh hi, water weight, welcome back 🙄 That's what I get for stepping on the scale the morning after takeout Chinese for lunch, chips as a snack, and a smokie for dinner.

Other than that I've been busy getting my garden ready to plant, which I'm hoping to do this weekend. I haven't used my veggie bed for a few years. It's not raised and just looked like a tidy 6' x 6' sunken patch of lawn. Pulling up sod solo with just a spade is a workout!
  • Dukare
    Dukare Posts: 144 Member
    Hey all! So great to see all the progress and insight!!

We have finally made it into May! We officially finished her medicine, and it's so surreal...

I'm trying to hold it together with work being hectic, the house never clean and an active baby. Plus frustrating marital life (men. Ugh lol). And while I started trying therapist, it's more stress than helpful at this point- one more thing to balance work schedule around...

I've been getting up in workouts as I'm starting May. We are planning on visiting family at the end of the month, so I'd like to make some headway...... I'm just barely afloat but making my way through it all with a bit o' tunnel vision.

The weather helps! As does a great song on the zumba that really gets my angst out.

Note: I noticed I gain around PMS time as well! He says I glow after, slim out after the chub haha. 😭🤔

Hormones man! They are nuts.

Cheers everyone!! Love hearing from you all!!!