GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member
    edited April 2021
    I was analyzing your gif of your OHP, could it be, that your elbows are too far behind your center? Because i remember my coach telling to me, that if i do that, i try to correct that on the way up with my shoulders, and maybe this forces you to push harder with 1 side making your alignment off...

It's kinda hard to see on this gif, maybe next time, film one from the side as well, to see if this is the case

Another thing you could work on, is the "shrug" at the top. Your elbows must be locked at the top, and shrug your traps.
    By doing so, you engage more muscles, makes it easier to hold the bar over your head and it prevents shoulder impingement.

Ask, and you shall receive. Lol
    Note... I can see that even though I was actively trying to tuck in my butt, I still have a very obvious pelvic tilt. It's also why I have a high back arch when benching. Even if I try to bench flat, I have an arch.
    b5dj1f922qd3.gif
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    I was analyzing your gif of your OHP, could it be, that your elbows are too far behind your center? Because i remember my coach telling to me, that if i do that, i try to correct that on the way up with my shoulders, and maybe this forces you to push harder with 1 side making your alignment off...

It's kinda hard to see on this gif, maybe next time, film one from the side as well, to see if this is the case

Another thing you could work on, is the "shrug" at the top. Your elbows must be locked at the top, and shrug your traps.
    By doing so, you engage more muscles, makes it easier to hold the bar over your head and it prevents shoulder impingement.

Note... I can see that even though I was actively trying to tuck in my butt, I still have a very obvious pelvic tilt. It's also why I have a high back arch when benching. Even if I try to bench flat, I have am arch.
    b5dj1f922qd3.gif

I've said it before: I'm just happy to see someone pressing without the use of the leg drive. I think your form is great, its one of those things that you will have to figure out on your own. All the advice in the world won't translate. I'm not knocking anyone's advice, its sound for sure. We all know lifting is so personal on many levels.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,348 Member

Note... I can see that even though I was actively trying to tuck in my butt, I still have a very obvious pelvic tilt. It's also why I have a high back arch when benching. Even if I try to bench flat, I have am arch.
    b5dj1f922qd3.gif

Well your form looks pretty solid to me, ofcourse i am definatly no expert.
    Only thing i can think of, is when starting, instead of pushing your head back, push your hips to the front.
    Your high back arch, should not cause the trouble you were seeing in your first give, and as long as it doesn't give you any backpain, i think it's just your natural way of lifting

You said you are left handed, so your left being your weak side doen't sound to be the problem either.

I would definatly include some shoulder training, maybe strenghtening them, could fix it.

Or after all my babbling, it could just very well be, you had sort of an off day with this lift, and next time, there is nothing
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited April 2021
    I love that you can bring it outside!!! Also, the same thing happens to me with whichever side is weaker. Maybe doing one arm presses with dumbbells would build any weaknesses on the left side?

I felt nervous that people would see me (like the neighbour's friend who sat in his truck on the driveway lol), and it was a bit chilly, but also kind of cool! It'll be better once the vine in my yard grows in again and gets green (more privacy).

I like the idea of doing single arm presses. I might see if I can add that in! ❤️

J_NY_Z wrote: »
    I've said it before: I'm just happy to see someone pressing without the use of the leg drive. I think your form is great, its one of those things that you will have to figure out on your own. All the advice in the world won't translate. I'm not knocking anyone's advice, its sound for sure. We all know lifting is so personal on many levels.

Thank you!!

Interestingly enough, I did find that it felt lighter/easier doing OHP standing than it does sitting, so maybe seated presses are limiting my progress (or making me stronger overall).

• KickassAmazon76

b5dj1f922qd3.gif

Well your form looks pretty solid to me, ofcourse i am definatly no expert.
    Only thing i can think of, is when starting, instead of pushing your head back, push your hips to the front.
    Your high back arch, should not cause the trouble you were seeing in your first give, and as long as it doesn't give you any backpain, i think it's just your natural way of lifting

You said you are left handed, so your left being your weak side doen't sound to be the problem either.

I would definatly include some shoulder training, maybe strenghtening them, could fix it.

Or after all my babbling, it could just very well be, you had sort of an off day with this lift, and next time, there is nothing

Thanks for the feedback! I am always open to suggestions, so I'll see how the next session goes!

b5dj1f922qd3.gif

imo, once you do it with the leg drive, it's not a OHP anymore, and you should just lower the weight.
    I saw people in gym doing that in the past, and always made my head shake
    They just try to show off for a girl/woman in the gym, by pretending to do a OHP with more weight than they can actual do
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member

b5dj1f922qd3.gif

Well your form looks pretty solid to me, of course i am definatly no expert.

I agree with this. The hips may be the key here, but also your head doesn't move forward much which may be causing your upper back to be bent back a bit more.
    *Brings back memories of a trainer that kept saying bring your head through the window over and over on every press*

I do think your upper back arch (as long as not causing pain) is well within normal/acceptable form. It's even more common as you increase weight. If you have time google/youtube search Eddie Hall Overhead press and or Robert Oberst or Tom Stoltman. They all range a bit differently in their overhead press technique but they all get results. Eddie is the most strict in comparison (little to no leg drive).

Given that you normally sit when OHP in your basement, standing may take a bit of adjustment, but things look good to me. Strong AF!
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,060 Member
    dsc84 wrote: »
    icicua4k8300.jpg

Lifting done! I feel a bit stalled on pretty much everything...I bought some pre-work out to try Wed.

Your lifts are strong! If the number listed next to the date is your body weight, your lifts are really strong. Those are some solid ratios especially on the Squat and Deadlift. You're doing great things!

Do you feel stalled because of lack of energy, or is it just that the weight isn't increasing but energy levels are good?

I would say that if it is stalled for energy pre-workout may help. From personal experience, I will say that it's nice at times, but can not be fun if you start to rely on it to get energy up for a workout. The pre I use has about half the caffeine of most normal ones do, but I try to only use it when I need it. It has helped with early morning workouts, and some later in the day ones, but it can effect your sleep too which is important to busting out of those plateaus.

If it's not energy level, I would suggest working in a regular deload week in your programming, or working in drop sets/ changing the program up just a bit (Dropping weight increasing reps, Changing the order in which you do things, etc.).

I don't know if it's a lack of energy...all the lifts just feel really difficult and I don't want to fail. I am often in the gym by myself. I know I used to lift this much and more and it just feels harder this time around. I only have 4-5 weeks left of regular gym use, so not sure how to work in regular deloads.

Just my 2 cents, I’d up my protein and carbs on your lifting days for the first couple meals before you lift. If you try this I’d like to know how it goes.
    steveko89 wrote: »
    dsc84 wrote: »
    icicua4k8300.jpg

Lifting done! I feel a bit stalled on pretty much everything...I bought some pre-work out to try Wed.

Your lifts are strong! If the number listed next to the date is your body weight, your lifts are really strong. Those are some solid ratios especially on the Squat and Deadlift. You're doing great things!

Do you feel stalled because of lack of energy, or is it just that the weight isn't increasing but energy levels are good?

I would say that if it is stalled for energy pre-workout may help. From personal experience, I will say that it's nice at times, but can not be fun if you start to rely on it to get energy up for a workout. The pre I use has about half the caffeine of most normal ones do, but I try to only use it when I need it. It has helped with early morning workouts, and some later in the day ones, but it can effect your sleep too which is important to busting out of those plateaus.

If it's not energy level, I would suggest working in a regular deload week in your programming, or working in drop sets/ changing the program up just a bit (Dropping weight increasing reps, Changing the order in which you do things, etc.).

I don't know if it's a lack of energy...all the lifts just feel really difficult and I don't want to fail. I am often in the gym by myself. I know I used to lift this much and more and it just feels harder this time around. I only have 4-5 weeks left of regular gym use, so not sure how to work in regular deloads.

Some days it can feel like gravity is set too high and the weight just doesn’t move the same way. How’s your sleep and other recovery factors? One of my biggest struggles is with revenge bedtime procrastination.

Amen Brother!
  • kinetixtrainer2
    I still can't squat heavy because something is going on in my hip joint.

I did decide to take my old homemade squat "rack" outside and tried standing ohp.

This is the 6th set at 67.2 pounds. (8,8,8,7,7,6)

(the cheap bar I got from the hardware store weighs 12.2 pounds haha).

I can see here that when I get tired, my left side sags behind and it throws my alignment off. I need to work on that... But all in all, I felt pretty strong.

Is it a matter of having a tighter core to keep my back straight? Any tips?
    cwaskoin4hfb.gif

If you widen your grip about an inch maybe 1 1/2” your strength will increase as well. Place more emphasis on the shoulder and take some off your triceps.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member

imo, once you do it with the leg drive, it's not a OHP anymore, and you should just lower the weight.
    I saw people in gym doing that in the past, and always made my head shake
    They just try to show off for a girl/woman in the gym, by pretending to do a OHP with more weight than they can actual do

I agree that Overhead Press requires strict form and no leg drive, otherwise it is a Push Press. However, depending on goals/purpose of training, the push press has it's place. Body building/aesthetic lifting OHP is the lift. It's greater for building size.

If training for a sport, such as competing in weight lifting/cross fit, American Football, Strongman, etc. the Push Press is important, as it does help build explosiveness and improves athleticism.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Some upper body stuff.

4ys2ceg4m8ps.gif

Adding in some treadmill time and stretching now to try and loosen up my hips and get ready for ball season... Assuming there's no lockdown.

Jenna... Thinking of you as you approach strongman day!! ❤️
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Some upper body stuff.

4ys2ceg4m8ps.gif

Adding in some treadmill time and stretching now to try and loosen up my hips and get ready for ball season... Assuming there's no lockdown.

Look at those abs 😍👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Thank you having mini heart attacks but almost there 😂😂😂
  • KickassAmazon76
    Some upper body stuff.

4ys2ceg4m8ps.gif

Look at those abs 😍👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Thank you having mini heart attacks but almost there 😂😂😂

You have GOT THIS!! YOU ARE GONNA DO AMAZINGLY!!
  • KickassAmazon76
    GOOOO @JENNACOLE12 GOOOOOO!
    ❤️🙌💪👏🎉❤️
    edited April 2021
    GOOOO @JENNACOLE12 GOOOOOO!
    ❤️🙌💪👏🎉❤️

iw9cepqz12k8.gif
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited April 2021
    @jennacole12 you are a BEAST! Way to go and leave it all behind! You gave it your all and did so amazing! So inspired by you!! ❤️ 👏🎉🙌
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Literally still hurting, but can’t believe I did it and didn’t make a fool of myself. I failed the deadlift 😕, but damn did I give it my all.... otherwise I did better than I expected in the other events. The experience was amazing and I’ve been invited to join the USS strongman community as judge/volunteer/athlete..... I’m thrilled 😁 below are comp day gifs!

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886a759e581e79edf3ba5a48a5f33518a91680e67ed&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886a759e581e79edf3ba5a48a5f33518a91680e67ed&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148862bf642b8dc7fad2b2924c58c08fa94752cb6bcde&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148869033a3112cea05dbf280cfe7044f8548b7b09aff&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148862bf642b8dc7fad2b2924c58c08fa94752cb6bcde&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Very inspiring Jenna! 💥💪🏼💥
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,025 Member
    Literally still hurting, but can’t believe I did it and didn’t make a fool of myself. I failed the deadlift 😕, but damn did I give it my all.... otherwise I did better than I expected in the other events. The experience was amazing and I’ve been invited to join the USS strongman community as judge/volunteer/athlete..... I’m thrilled 😁 below are comp day gifs!

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148869033a3112cea05dbf280cfe7044f8548b7b09aff&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

This is greatness 💪