WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    <3
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    DUBBING

Heather you can also change the VPN and get other country's versions of Netflix. apparently this is legal. I'm on NordVPN (about 3 or 4 euros a month). So I can get other shows that don't show in the French version of Netflix. (and so presumably different choices in languages). I know you don't like to pay for subscriptions but it's an option. There are also free ones or limited time free ones. I previously used windscribe that offers 10 go of free VPN. So I could watch SNL on youtube (blocked in France). And sometimes the offer is just different. I saw "spotlight" movie available now on usa Netflix previously available on French Netflix, and so on.
    it makes a difference on youtube and Netflix at least.

Penny as for watching Dallas characters speak German, when I arrived in france 30 years ago, almost all movies were dubbed.( Now dubbed is very rare in the big city but still very common on TV and in the smaller cities.) you had to check to see if it was VO (original version). Sometimes they would offer both in alternance, so occasionally I would make a mistake. if I was alone I would just leave, but if with a friend they would sometimes want to stay. The voices were not great!
  • bananasandoranges
    edited May 2021
    I don't read that much fiction at present, due to obligations, so for the last I would be in 19th century Romania then England. Previous to that Algeria early 20th century.
  • bananasandoranges
    edited May 2021
    wrong number sms conversation
    I changed phones and copied one number manually.
    When I sent an SMS the colleague (in another city that I don't know well but get on well with) was irritated and said she was fishing, signing with her name (to which I had addressed her in the SMS) . I was surprised at her tone since she had written to me the night before, though occasionally people get a bit angry, and I expressed my surprise.

She apologised and said sorry she has Covid and is unsure if she would get by. I expressed sympathy briefly and said to keep us posted. (I figured if she was fishing she wasn't at death's door, so I thought maybe she meant she wouldn't get by work-wise, as the covid was slowing her down!). Then she started to ask about how things were going with my husband, as she was having issues and wanted to talk. I said "radical change of subject" and if she wants to talk can call me. Then "she" wrote she and her "husband" were trying new experiences and she wanted to talk to me about it. I asked if this was the right number. Double checked (one digit off) when I got home. I wished "her" luck on her fishing, covid and experiences and blocked the number. No big deal. Worst was I was really disturbed when she was (out of character, but it can happen) irritated in 1st sms. For the rest I said nothing and I think it's a person who I don't know at all and visa versa. (on my voice mail I use automatic version now no name, nothing)
  • bananasandoranges
    Penny wow so far up north. I lived in Quebec City for 2 years where we got snow from October to April and snow banks remaining till June, we would get a good dose of spring and summer from may to august. You are in true winterland! Do you get away sometimes? I didn't have the means back then but many in Quebec would pop away to Cuba or Florida or something for a dose of sun in mid-summer.
  • bananasandoranges
    Debbie sorry about your sister. Is there video option for her to be present? or FaceTime, etc.

Here if people are contact (have been in touch with person with covid) they HAVE TO self quarantine for about 10 days. that's not an option. is that not the case there?
    did she have contact with the nephew ?

There can be rules: mask required.

But if she's a possible contact, I think she just can't come, mask or not. That's sad for her and not easy to deal with.

I hope that there are some healing ways to work through that for all.
    Maybe saving money will be a plus and you can plan a later memorial (in a month, say, for when she's past the risk of confinement/contagion), and/or trip to connect.

• bananasandoranges
    Barbara I'm sorry about the postponement. I hope things go very smoothly.
  • bananasandoranges
    I find hospital miscommunications (not communicating information to us or between services or places) are not unusual.
    when following up in my sister's cancer care, one of the main things to do was to be sure that the info send from doctor X was received by doctor Y. Often it wasn't if we didn't follow up, which could cause major issues.

• bananasandoranges
    I have 2 major and essential things to do work-wise.
    not doing well at present!
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,366 Member
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Hope everyone's Sunday is, was or will be peaceful and lovely. Or raucous and sketchy, if that's your bag.
    :smiley:

Came home yesterday and the neighbor saw me across the fence--she said if I had some more of the canna lilies, she would buy a dozen off me, so I'll get those ready for her this morning - her $20 puts me right at $90, and my goal is $100 for each sale, so I got close. While I'm getting hers ready to go, I'm going to get more gladiolus put together and ready for next week--hers will take care of all the canna lilies, I think.

Karen - I love the glads too, but they look like a bad haircut in my yard. I made the mistake of putting them on a low mound with zero support, and they just grow every which-a-way, no matter how much I stake them. At more than three feet tall when grown, when they look bad, they're hard to miss. When they're in bloom, of course, they're insanely beautiful. I had a houseful of cut glads last spring.

My daughter, her husband and three kids all coming in tomorrow, and I'm going through the house today cleaning and toddler proofing, and won't that be fun? Just can't wait for baby hugs and kisses. They grow so fast, seeing them often is the only way to keep up!

Tracey
    - One of the things I want to do for later in the year is to start making Christmas ornaments like yours... I think it's you and your husband who cooperate in wood-burning and painting them, isn't it? Do you buy the wood pieces, or do you cut them yourselves? We now have scads of wood from the downed trees, and will be getting more as we get more cleaned up.

Julie
    - Hope your major and essential work-related pieces go well. You sound a little stressed.

Things to do - I want to finish quilting some of the pieces for my niece's quilt before I go digging around in the yard. Just three more large pieces for the frame of the quilt, and it will be done, and using sashing to add those onto the whole and binding after that. Nearly done, but assume it will be hard to do much of this while I have family here.

Later,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Sunday --

Cycling : indoors on Zwift. A relatively casual ride.
    bdh43wonna30.png

Running : walking a bit, then an attempt at running fast for a couple minutes, then walking, etc. Trying to improve my speed.
    pzzrmas09hcw.png

Rowing : just 10 minutes.

Machka in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,603 Member
    Julie- I feel you! I am temporarily over one hump at work and it feels really good. The end is hard to see but we are here to help you breath deeply occasionally. HUGS! Wow, on the text. Seriously, I don't know about people some days!

Lisa- Sounds like you found a way to address your concerns about not financially contributing and getting rid of some unneeded items at the same time.

I woke up thinking again about clearing out a bunch of "things" I don't enjoy anymore. It is weighing heavy on my heart for some reason today. It is so strange that I was so excited to buy these things in my 30s and 40s, yet as I approach 60, it is weighing me down. I don't want sterile, but there is just so much taking up space that someone will need to deal with at some point. Maybe it is the one year mark of my MIL's passing that has it weighing down so much. She had thinned out a lot of her things in the past few years, yet there was still so much to go through and that got given away. I don't know, just thinking on paper.

My to do list today
    Groceries
    Plants in ground
    Work paperwork
    Get on paper what I need to take to the Shelby show on Thursday since we pack on Wednesday night.

Better get something going!
    <3
    Hugs!
    Cheers!

Kylia in cloudy Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Morning ladies
    Well first night on the newer mattress was good,fell asleep.early and woke up for a few hours .. It is much more soft than my old one and comfy
    Put the meal worms out for birds and fed Alfie and he is back under the covers lol..he is such a goon..
    Have to go through some paperwork today and get gas in the car..
    Have a appointment with Sleep center tomorrow..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    Hi all!
    Showery out and breezy, so it will be rowing for me again. Might watch an early episode of Deutschland again, the set design is fantastic - 70s East Germany.

Gorgeous smoked salmon bagels with Philly for lunch with homemade coleslaw. I found an extra strong twice smoked salmon in M&S. Some of them are tasteless.
    Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables with Feta for dinner.

Trying to organise a visit to Fatto a Mano next Sunday with the family, but I haven't heard back yet. DH is out at cricket all day Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat. We will have to book early as the restrictions are lifting this week on indoor dining.

Feeling pretty cheerful today. J'ai la pêche, as they say in France. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Good morning, ladies! Happy Sunday! I have been reading, but not much time to comment.
    Machka- I don't think I have read a new "grown up" book in over a year (since the library closed). So...I would be living in Boston, I am thinking mid 1950s (judging by illustrations). Make Way For Ducklings. lol
    Michele- I agree with Carol/Peach in regards to your bushes by your door. Pull the dead one, trim up the others and you will be looking good. You could either put in a new bush where the dead one was; or a large planter with some flowers would look pretty there, as well. Mini succulents are becoming HUGE in my area. I am thinking of putting some together for the fairy garden I have planned.
    Lisa- Weird that your daughter wants to sleep on the floor of your living room. I would much prefer a little space of my own while I visit. Totally agree with you, that if the living room is her choice, she has no right to grumble about it if she is woken up by you and Corey starting your day. And yes, leave it to a toddler to keep you on your toes!
    Heather- I admire you keeping up your languages and adding new ones. I need to get back on duolingo. Or maybe I will try another free language service. What one did you say you are currently using? Do you like it?
    Julie- I like your work around for the streaming services. I was stunned to find out (a couple of years ago) that services offer different things based on where you live. :o One of those "What?! Well, I guess that makes sense" kind of moments. I do well with subtitles on things. The dubbing throws me off. AND I have gotten used to subtitles because my DH needs them even if we are watching BBC or anyone speaking with an accent; even southern USA.
    Kylia- Your granddaughter is adorable and isn't it fun to watch them shine on stage?! Your daughter looks just like you, by the way! Your weekend with your family and friends sounds wonderful and relaxing.
    Kim- How is your garden doing? Have your got your planting done? What are you growing this year?
    Carol- Your grandson is very handsome! Fifth grade! I remember when you were posting pics of him and he was just a little guy with a couple of baby teeth missing! Time flies! (( <3 ))
    Rebecca- lol I think Hilda (is that her name?) should be your avatar! How in the world one could do anything without losing a daisy chain bra and panty is beyond me!

It was a long week, last week, with all of the kids coming down with colds/allergies. Most of them have allergies, so I think it was more an allergy thing going on. As a matter of fact, yesterday, I got a call from one of my childcare moms. She was frantic, as she has no family close by. Her three year old had an allergic reaction to something yesterday and she needed help with her one year old and with great grandma (who lives with them). So...I drove to her house and sat with great grandma and baby for about an hour. When Anna (the mama) arrived home with the three year old, the poor little guy's eyes were still very puffy (almost shut); but the hives were gone and he was breathing well. The ER docs told them that he had environmental allergies (they won't know specifically what until they can test him) and that there was so much stuff flying around this year that the ER is getting a LOT of people with severe allergic reactions. Makes me wonder if the shut down of lawn services and other services last year has created an allergen rich environment this year? Hmmm... Anyway, I was glad to help. I got home and started my yogurt. Then hubby got a little frisky and THAT took a little longer than I thought it was going to, and I missed my window for getting the starter added. So...I added it anyway and...it never set. Ugh! I guess it is a kefir kind of week, for me. A couple more weeks and I have a four day weekend! Whoot! Really looking forward to that!

Yesterday we had rain and today is also a rainy day (so far). Hoping it lets up so that I can get into the back yard and trim the trees and bushes that are growing through the fences. I found a couple of ticks on the kids this past week. Luckily they hadn't latched on; but I need to get out there and get rid of their probable homes. The kids were playing hide and seek and were literally crawling into the bushes and bramble. lol

Now that the weather is nicer, I am outside and walking a lot more. I am down another pound. Down is good; but it should have been more. I have to stop eating the crap that Tim eats. Here's to a week of good choices! I have pork carnitas in the crock pot, vegetables in the pressure cooker (for veg soup), and veggies washed and prepped for the week! Chicken breasts are on stand-by, ready to be put in the crock pot and shredded when the pork is gone.

Love and hugs to all who need them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    edited May 2021
    Correction - Deutschland starts in 1983, but it looks like England in the 60s. I love all that faded effect.

KJ - I've given up on Duolingo at the moment because they are phasing out my free access. Just by making it very difficult for me to use. I have been on it for 6 years for free, so I guess it's fair enough. I would prefer it if they just right out said, you have had enough!!
    I keep my French up with various videos on YouTube, there are loads and loads. My Spanish ditto. My German is still at the early intermediate stage, so I'm still learning. I use a free app ( mainly free) called Seedlang, and I watch 'Easy German' on YouTube. I love the people who run it.
    Mainly I prefer to watch subtitled films to pick it up by ear and familiarity. I'm not really one for lots of grammar books. Seedlang is the most formal.
    What language are you most interested in? In my opinion it has to be fun and you have to love the culture. Then I recommend a drip effect, little and often.
    I recommend earphones and Bluetooth so you can do it anytime, anywhere. Use dead time, like cooking, bathing, or cleaning. You can watch beautiful travel clips in the language etc, TV series, films, news etc etc etc.
    You can also not be a cheapskate like me and pay for Duolingo. :p If you are truly serious and money is not a problem, you can easily get 1 to 1 lessons with a real teacher online. I don't have the cash, but I would love that.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,054 Member
    Hi there. Feeling rather fragile today as I had an upset tum for a few days and it erupted mid afternoon yesterday. I’ll omit the gory details, but suffice it to say I felt like a wet rag this morning.

Slowly returning the land of the living.

Weather has been very variable the last week, but we are getting on with our potting up/planting out between showers.

Gotta go now as we have family Skype session at 4ish. Hoping to visit in person next Sunday as we have hand all our jabs by then, and are all still taking precautions.

Lots of love 💞💖💞

☘️ Terri
  • margaret_bodine
    margaret_bodine Posts: 5 Member
    Hi and thank you to Barbie for starting this group! Kim in Northern CA- I used to live in Santa Cruz and am familiar with the beautiful mountains and Elk Horn Slough! I need to lose 20 lbs to reduce high blood pressure and cholesterol. Any successful tips on cooking for 1 appreciated. I try to cook and make enough for at least a few days but am looking for inspiration.