WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,239 Member
    Options
    Machka - admiring the way you handle stress.
    Karen in Virginia

Thank you. :)

And that leads me to a question:

How do you handle stress?

Everywhere I look there are articles, and suggestions, and products to buy, and so on related to "self-care" ... and all those things are mainly about relaxing, giving yourself a break and focusing on nice things you like to do when the world is uncertain and things aren't quite how we like them to be.

But when the stress level really escalates, and perhaps relaxing becomes difficult to do, what are some things you do to refocus the stress?

I've given this a lot of thought over recent months because the usual things people suggest (meditation, bubble bath, yoga, etc.) don't work for me. I could see them working if I've had a busy day at work with lots of pressure and deadlines and just wanted to quiet down in the evening, but that's not my level of stress.

So I started exploring what does work for me and these are some things I came up with:

1. Prayer. Lots of it while I am doing other things.

2. Activity. Cleaning is one of my first 'go-to's and a bus friend yesterday told me that is a common one because it gives a person some sense of control. While the main stressor is completely out of my control ... I can have floors you could eat off.

Exercise is another one. Running, cycling up hills, really brisk walks ... something at the upper level of my exertion range. Something that wears me out and expends a good deal of my energy. I remember one day, 3 years ago, when my husband was still in a coma, running along the beach on a very windy morning with the waves crashing and screaming into the wind and waves while I ran with whatever gasping breath I had. No one was out there that day, but if anyone had seen me they'd have thought I was nuts.

3. Music. Especially loud music. I like quiet soothing music if I've had the busy day at work and I'm relaxing just before bed, but when I'm really stressed, I like playing the music loud.

Happily, one side effect of this is that over the past few days I've lost a bit of weight. I don't eat much when I'm stressed either ... my stomach goes on strike. But being on my feet and active seems to make some difference in my weight too.

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️🧡💛
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,746 Member
    Options
    Gggg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Stress— In our house stress is a regular guest. DH has MS & diabetes. He has had a stroke in the past. We have been doing okay since the pandemic began, but being at home most of the time is losing it's shine. Our blessing is an upcoming visit from our daughter, who is coming to attend a family wedding. I am looking forward to her visit. The other grandparents are bringing the kids to see the Oregon Coast. They'll be in a large RV and we've booked an RV site in a nearby county campground for them. :heart: We have good things to look forward to in the future.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Morning peeps, yogi watches in hopes father will drop something
    q9zgsxbwvp2p.jpeg
    mokk9s7av43z.jpeg
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Worked today so no formal exercise. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump DVD

Debbie – that’s some egg! How many yolks did it have?

Michele NC

I don't know how many yolks- we didn't crack it- I will find out from mom when she does.

Debbie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,832 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Today not feeling so hot.. i have the dogs and just woke up from a 1 1/2 hr nap..,have to pick Dan up and drop.him.off and then come back to my place..
    Going to investigate more about stage 5 kidney disease..
    I remember my mom sleeping alot.
    Only saving grace might be that whatever the kidney Dr sends to social security might help my cause..
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, pick up laptop.
    Bonus: two loads laundry, one cart of sticks and 3 carts of salal to brush pile, stroll with T.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call Philips 1-888-381-0749 re soundbar case 02283861, follow up with Dr re: Joe’s annual charges not covered 100%, watch for refund from Interpath for Joe’s labs paid on Feb statement call S, fire district: ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers).
    Meaningful May:
    10: What values are important to you? Find ways to use them today. Honesty-gently sharing my point of view with T even though we differ on the topic.

Much nicer weather today, the wind persists but its temperature is much more pleasant. Joe suggested clearing the dried slala from the side yard would be a more effective use of my energy than picking up sticks from the drive. Whew, chopping brush is hard work!

Lisa OMG! Kelsey’s youngest is balanced on tiptoe atop his rocking horse’s head?!?
    Kate stunning azaleas. Your, Heather’s and my husbands must be immortal sons from different mothers…
    Ginny thankful you feel healed and are returning to your regular activities.
    Heather I was startled when the trust officer made the point that passing property & $$ to surviving spouse is not the problem, but providing for if/when I’m incapacitated and no longer able to handle our finances is the issue. Supports my fears of pain and incapacity more than death, at least for now…
    Machka thankful for the hopeful news from your husband’s cardiologist. Did he have any insight to what caused the blood pressure spike awhile ago? Cleaning is such a positive response to fear/worry/stress. Bravissima.
    Katla excited for your DD’s and grands’ visit!
    Rebecca give yourself grace to recover from #2. You’ll get your mojo back, and if you don’t just channel Athena Rose ;)
    Welcome @ariellapermail683 ! We’re glad you found us. Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Vicki sorry for your loss. It’s a sad and lonely feeling when all our parent’s generation have gone ahead. Glad you didn’t break anything in the fall, too bad about the shiner…
    Debbie sounds like your mom is keeping busy, a good thing, but expect eventually she’ll wind down and need you to help her grieve. Oh how I envy you your artichokes! Really must try to grow some here. Freddie’s wants $3.50 each!
    Allie ((hugs)) that is a rough diagnosis. You’ve beaten the odds on everything else, bet you beat this too. ((hugs))
    Pip :love: your creative storage solutions, your multicolored, multitextured rug, and most especially love the flaked out Yogi. ;)
    Annie, “here we go again” brava. Picking up and starting again is key to success. Never ever give up.
    Flea ((hugs)) it IS hard. ((hugs))
    Kay “…I wish we had stayed in touch.” Ditto. :cry:
    Welcome @andarbaar in NYC! If you find any secrets, please share! :laugh: Would you let us know what you’d like to be called?

Woo hoo, is it good to have my own laptop back! Used Joe’s for the past two days while mine was getting its periodic tuneup and boy do I appreciate the faster startup, higher resolution and smoother, more responsive keyboard.

My strolling buddy suggested a walk this afternoon. I almost declined as my energy tanks after 1pm. Pulled up my big girl panties and said yes. We were both tired so didn’t do the last loop but it was enough to meet my daily goal. Another good choice, I was craving carbs after lunch, reaching for matzoh with butter, grabbed carrots, celery and dip instead. Fingers Xd this is the beginning of a trend ;)

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: leaner/stronger/kinder than April.
    daily: sit with Joe:10 , weigh/wii: 10/1/14; steps>6362=7508, vits=10, log=10, CI<CO=9, CI<250<CO=7, Tumble=7, Shadow=7, mfp=10, outside=9, up hill=7, clean 10=3.5
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rX x4=2 dance=1, packwalk x2=2,
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/2:139.1!, 5/9:141.8, 5/16:, 5/23:, 5/30:.
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.5
    bonus: AF=8 play=1 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

If you lived closer I could hook you up with some nice plants my dad started. They are in the green house and need a place to be planted. If mom still has them when I go up in a few weeks, I may take one home- They really need a big area and need to have wire cage around the roots if you are planting them in the garden- gophers LOVE them. I don't have that problem because everything is in pots- just not a lot of room so have to be a bit choosy what I plant- ant that will take at least another year before it produces anything. Mom's are older and huge.
    Mom will be busy for a while, for sure- with the garden and all those friends who said they would come help, haven't shown up yet, so she is stressing about it- in tears. She understands that people are busy BUT that doesn't help her- She planned the huge garden because they all said they would help- she said it would be a community garden- Just a busy time of the year anyways but this is just more added stress on her.

Debbie
  • grandmallie
    Options
    :*
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Options
    Finished my taxes! Yay! Now I have to figure out how to print a copy and change my withholding.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,378 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Katla - If you get a chance please tell Rori we love her and are with her in spirit. <3

I made a wonderful Kedgeree this evening , one of my favourite comfort foods. It's a bit of a faff, but so worth it.
    Earlier I decided to use my Instant Pot to make individual cheesecake brulée bites. :D Lot of effort but fun. I will freeze most of them for a guest occasion. Just have to brulée the top on the day. There was mixture left over (made 11) so I did 3 extra ones with no biscuit base in the oven. I expect those will get eaten!!!!!.
    Nice to have some fancy desserts just ready to pull out. :p Our lockdown is easing more on Monday. Meeting indoors and in restaurants allowed. I hope one or two guests will show up eventually. My brother? My DSIL?
    Did 30 minutes rowing afterwards. Watching Call My Agent for the 2nd time around and nearly finished the 2nd run of Spiral. I'm going to be devastated when it's all finished. I'm thinking in French these days.
    I was chucked off Netflix in the end because some little people were watching Minecraft and Sylvanian Family. :p<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Thinking of Rori,her husband and is it her brother?
    Her husband is getting the care he needs and hopefully she does the same..
    I know how she feels ,i spent alot of time with my FIL and I dont regret a bit of the time I spent with him,and I know she feels the same way..I am hoping she gets some rest herself she will need it. Yes Katla please send her my love if you talk with her again.
    Tom got out early for an appointment,which i think is with his attorney..I will wait to see what he does and then will take appropriate action..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Katla

So sad to hear the news from Rori about her husband's condition! Prayers for her and him.

Carol in GA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Allie - many hugs... and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest Tom's armpits. Grr.

Katla - please add my sentiments to Heather's when you reach out to Rori.

Much as I hate to, I'm going to start the next round of antibiotics tomorrow. The pain is starting, and the fatigue is starting to become overwhelming. My best friend lectured me earlier today on the phone for about 15 minutes all told regarding the stupidity of waiting until I'm laid out flat again. I guess we all need people in our lives who can prod us into doing what's best for us. Love that woman--she's a little bossy, though.
    :smiley:

I'm supposed to have a phone appointment with the gastroenterologist next month sometime, and I'm just hoping this will be the last round. The last antibiotic round started April 3, and this one's starting on May 12, so I guess an extra nine days will have to serve as progress.

Was going to go to the quilting club, but pretty much felt like crap on a cracker, so I stayed home.

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I know that Rori values all of the wonderful women here and is grateful for your good wishes. She has her hands full right now.
    If I hear more from her I will pass on what I can. ❤️
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,552 Member
    Options
    Today is Athena's 2nd birthday! We sang happy birthday and posted it fairly early on messenger. I think she had a fun day!
    rxutcxp33jtu.jpeg
    wy45gp5y68eu.jpeg
    Rebecca

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,552 Member
    Options
    We'll probably get a photo later on with a cake face🌹💕
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💐🌹🥀🌷🌺🌸🌻🌼🏵️
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stopped for a drink in the neighboring town. Very cute town, solving ca. onamnb7kkx4w.jpeg
    k zxek7yltfs8g.jpeg

h1th5m7j2fl2.jpeg
    avdmh6nk5uzb.jpeg