WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2021
    Machka: Your Zwift bike rides look like a great way to burn energy and improve your strength and endurance. WTG! :smiley: Last week I was finally able to go to the gym. They have stationary bikes that allow a person to take a virtual ride somewhere. I typically ride for 30 minutes before yoga and opt for the view outside the window rather than a virtual ride to a destination. At home, I set a timer and read a book while pedaling away calories and gaining muscle tone. :smile:

Allie: Our old dog sleeps in our room at night, but not in the bed. :noway: His doggy bed is on my side, but he moves around to the foot of the bed where he lays on a rug. He weighs about 35 pounds, plus or minus, and has lots of hair. :star:

KJ: Our local library subscribes to “library to go.” This is a service they provide through amazon and it allows us to check out virtual books. I usually read them on my phone. I wonder whether that service is available through your library. I used to buy audible books. I bought the books online for my commute to work. I believe that Amazon bought "Audible." I’ve been retired for many years and no longer listen to audible books. If I was taking a long road trip by myself, I would buy new audible books to keep me company. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I’m sorry to hear that a dog walking friend passed away unexpectedly. :sad:

We have a bright sunshiney morning, and I’m hiding from the sparkly water back in our home office. It will be easier to enjoy the water when the sun gets a bit higher.

Our old dog slipped on the stairs when I went upstairs a few minutes ago. I heard him yip and know that it hurt. We need to buy a non-skid rug for the bottom of the stairs. DH is in the process of ordering one.

Katla in sparkly NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    edited May 2021
    If i could figure out how to post a picture here i would do it..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,125 Member
    edited May 2021
    Margaret _bodi - I feel you on the cooking for one! I am a passionate foodie and love to cook, but, when I was on my own, my enthusiasm went out of the window. I used to 'assemble' dishes, rather than cook properly. It was good food, but I lost the will to cook from scratch. I had to rediscover my skills when I met my DH. Now I cook almost every day. I use the Instant Pot a lot. Do you have one? Loads of ideas and suggestions on there on their app and on Facebook groups. Every kind of diet.

Welcome to our thread.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a Jari Love Boot Camp DVD then took a walk around the block. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Power Yoga DVD and then probably take a walk.

I do have to say that ever since I got the pedometer and started to wear it at work, lately I have been somewhat obsessed with how many steps I can get in any one day.

Debbie – it’s interesting...growing up I was the person who lived in an apartment. I guess it just didn’t make sense for my father and me to live in a house. So growing up, I never had to do any kind of yard work, so I depend on Vince to tell me what to do and when to do it. Now it looks like I’m going to be doing most (if not all) of it. Oh well, I don’t mind getting extra steps in (see what I mean about my new obsession??)

Allie – why are you getting back less money? Did they find an error in your tax return?

Still on the cool side here. I wore a sweater last night and again this morning when I went for my walk. In the sun, I took it off. But I had to put it back on in the shade. Well, it’ll probably get warm later today.

Kim – Can you help me with plants? At least give me ideas. What zone are you in? I’m in zone 7

Carol GA – I want the dead plants and the overgrown ones taken out. There are holly bushes on the sides of the house. The ground drops off a bit at one end of the house and you have no idea how scared I get when Vince did trim it. I would have to hold a ladder while he was using an electric hedge trimmer. I would like that removed and a christmas tree put in its place. Those trees are slow growing, which works for me. The only one that will be trimmed back is the one at the corner (that you can see in the picture) of the house.

Yesterday the governor of NC lifted the mast requirement. It’s only required indoors on public transportation, in child care settings, in schools, in prisons and in some health care settings. He also lifted all mandatory capacity gathering and social distancing requirements. I’ll bet any amount of money that Food Lion is still going to require masks. They ARE recommending that unvaccinated people continue to wear a mask. But you know that unvaccinated people won’t wear a mask. But that’s their choice. The state also lifted all mandatory capacity, gathering and social distancing requirements. Wish he’d said something about those stupid Plexiglas things.

SteppinD – welcome! We talk about not only healthy exercise, good food (I’ve gotten some amazing hints here) and life in general because life affects how we eat, etc. Stress affects me, so does boredom. You can get some amazing tips and ideas here. You will find that we also encourage people, when they are making poor choices and when they’ve made a great choice. I do hope you’ll come back often.

I’m trying this checkerboard cake pan. Not sure if it’ll be a cake for the gal who is in charge of our bowling or if it’ll be for Vince. Depends on how it turns out. I’ve read that these checkerboard pans aren’t real good. Knowing me, I’ll need to see it myself. Made a chocolate and vanilla cake batter and with the remainder I made some cupcakes. They’ll be for Vince. I have some icing in the freezer, not sure if I’ll need more. I really don’t want to make more so I’ll ice the cake first and if I have to I’ll just sprinkle some confectioner’s sugar on Vince’s. Update: I think that cake is going to be for Vince because I really don’t like the way the checkerboard design came out. Did need to make more icing.

I had a recipe for a checkerboard cake. You make 3 cakes, 2 chocolate and 1 vanilla. You cut a (I forget the exact dimensions) 3” cookie cutter, then you cut out a 2” of the same cake, and you do this for all 3 layers. Then you layer the chocolate 3”, then the vanilla, then the chocolate, then you put the next layer of vanilla, chocolate, vanilla, then the next layer of chocolate, vanilla, chocolate. I just remember that it was a lot of work, but maybe I’ll try that again but this time with these smaller cake pans. Later: he’s definitely getting it. It broke (twice) on me.

Heather – question, when you ice a cake, how do you remove it from the turntable that you iced it on to the plate you are going to serve it on? Happy Birthday to your brother

Also this morning made salmon cakes for later in the week and also to freeze. Steve is going to be here the following week (the 24th) so I’m thinking that one night I might make salmon cakes for dinner. I know that he and Vince will want to go to Waffle House for breakfast Tuesday. I’ll pass. Update: he said he's not keen on any fish (boo) so I'm thinking of making this marinated pork tenderloin. You know how sometimes pork tenderloin can be so dry because it's so lean? Well, you marinate it with soy sauce and it's not dry.

Vince is working on Jess’ tax return right now. Fortunately, her’s isn’t as involved as ours so this doesn’t necessarily mean that I need to avoid Vince :)

katla – happy birthday to your husband

debbie – I can’t believe how thoughtless your sister is!

Strung popcorn for two hours. I’m almost at the end for this year. Lector at the church tonight

b4leaving – welcome back! I remember you!

Went for a walk around the block, now I think I’ll work on the puzzle a little and then take a shower.

Michele NC

Thanks- yes sister is just thinking of herself.
    Until I got married, I only lived in town for 1 1/2 yrs while we lived with my grandparents while we built our house- the rest of the time I was either 5miles from town one way(until I was in 3rd grade) and then 10 miles from town the other way- and our town only had 5,000 in it at the time. Always working in the yard/garden.

On the question about the cake- put sheets of wax paper under the cake, small pieces under the edges not the whole cake. Ice it and then carefully remove the wax paper- no moving the cake.
    I have a checker board cake pan but have never used it. Always planned on trying it- got them at a garage sale, nice heavy ones. Maybe I will have to pull them out and try them.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Debbie sorry about your sister. Is there video option for her to be present? or FaceTime, etc.

Here if people are contact (have been in touch with person with covid) they HAVE TO self quarantine for about 10 days. that's not an option. is that not the case there?
    did she have contact with the nephew ?

There can be rules: mask required.

But if she's a possible contact, I think she just can't come, mask or not. That's sad for her and not easy to deal with.

I hope that there are some healing ways to work through that for all.
    Maybe saving money will be a plus and you can plan a later memorial (in a month, say, for when she's past the risk of confinement/contagion), and/or trip to connect.

Thanks- yes we will be doing a video option for people to watch. It is Memorial Day weekend so many will be traveling- it may help some be able to come and will be the reason some can't make it.

I haven't heard how the conversation went yet. I will call mom later this afternoon to see.
    Masks are still required here, especially inside. Her wanting to bring her dogs onto the property again was just the last straw for mom. She almost lost her dog and had to pay $3000 in vet bills and sister knows her dogs are never to be on the property again but told her son that is what she wanted to do.

It really is hard and the worst time to get the virus but they really didn't have the money to come out anyways. I will just be there to listen to both sides, like I always do. It will work out for the best in the long run.
    Both sisters tend to be pretty selfish but now is NOT the time to be that way.

Thanks again.
    Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    Trying to get caught up with all the posts from yesterday- will finish after I get back from church.
    We went to this AMAZING grocery store in Sacramento-KP International Market- I didn't even get to see the whole thing. I found some amazing spices and things I had never seen or heard of-got some things that were Russian, Thai, Vietnamese, Korean.... I was being rushed- we had to meet up with our friend so I never got to really look at the Indian, German, Italian... not sure what else I missed. Didn't get to the meat department at all. Next time I need two hours to look through all of it. Looking forward to trying all the spice packs I got. Some I picked just by the picture and the ingredients-couldn't read anything else on them. We will see what we liked and buy more next time.

Hope to get some work done in the garden- have plants and seeds that need to get in the ground- they are LATE.

Have a wonderful Sunday ladies
  • Katla49
    B)
  • grandmallie
    Afternoon ladies
    Ordered some groceries from instacart ,so convenient..
    Heather - like you when I was with Tom I cooked and baked almost daily..
    Now me on my own unless i am invited up to one of my friends place i just grab easy stuff..
    I did make dessert for tonight. It is called Christmas Crack.. you place saltines on foil or parchment in rows to cover the pan,then use brown sugar and butter and melt and cook that and pour over the saltines and bake for 5 minutes.. take it out and pour chocolate chips onto the hot toffee.. then spread it once they melt,i put.chopped pecans on it and put it in the fridge to set for a couple hours..
    Its a rainy afternoon and i would nap but dont feel the need to. Yeahhhhh
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited May 2021
    Allie - I think of cooking as transformation. When I was on my own i would fry a steak, or microwave fish, but that was not cooking in my book. Luckily, I could buy excellent healthy food to 'assemble' which was beautifully prepared by the supermarket gurus, (at a price), so I was eating healthily and well, but I wasn't transforming food to a different state, like a stew.
    It is hard to get motivated when you haven't got anyone to share with. :'(

I'm having trouble getting a meet up with the grandchildren organised. Lots of crossed wires. They are away a lot over half term, camping with the school and travelling to Scotland to see my ex. It looks as if we might be picking the kids up from school on Tuesday, but I'm a bit confused. I really wanted to see them on my own while DH is away at cricket for 4 days as I shall be lonely. :'( No Fatto date as yet. Frustrated.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Heather: I’m sorry that you will be on your own for a while. I hope you’re able to have time working on your memoir and walking on the beach. :flowerforyou:
  • dlfk202000
    Heather- I hope you get to spend time with the grandkids when you want them.
    Allie- I had the recipe for the cracker toffee for well over 25 yrs before I actually tired it- it just sounded so strange. I made one batch to try one Christmas(I had all the ingredients so said, hey, why not). Mom and I tried it and immediately made more!! It is so easy and SOOOO good. Out of all the candies her and I make at the holidays, that is one of my favorites for sure. We top ours with sliced almonds- just like Almond Roca but not as hard to bite. So yummy

Debbie
  • LisaKinVA
    LisaKinVA Posts: 18 Member
    Hello. New here (not to MFP, just to the boards). I've used MFP on and off throughout the years. I hit my heaviest weight ever in March, and am trying to fix me first and hope the pounds follow. I was bulimic in my teens and twenties. And a rocky relationship with diet and exercise built on that history of disordered eating. I almost threw my phone when MFP said I needed to have a goal calorie intake of 1,200 calories (that would be more than 1,000 calories below my current weight maintenance level, and even below the BMR for a weight I haven't seen since I was about 23! Needless to say, I've been there, done that (as well as eating under 1,000 calories/day while exercising hard) and all of that contributed to where I now find myself ... over 200 pounds and struggling to lose anything. That's why I "have to fix me" first. And it's hard. So hard. I set my daily caloric intake at approximately 500 calories below my current maintenance caloric intake. I even made a chart that lists (every five pounds) my estimated BRM, TDEE, Protein/Carb/Fat macros. Generally speaking, I eat about 1,850 calories a day -- and haven't eaten more than 1,950 a day even when exercising.

The exercise consists of one "hard" 45-minute walk (fast pace, with dogs who would rather run), about 60 minutes of "slow" walking (I coach swimming, so walk the pool deck for about 2 hours, sometimes fast, usually slower), general cleaning and gardening (pulling weeds, using a hoe, etc.) I'm going to try to start 15 minutes of metabolic exercise a day as well. I think I can make 15 minutes of that a day in the sunshine work!

But despite the dietary changes (low/no added sugar -- with fruit "sugars" under 50g/day) moderate carbohydrate/high fiber (average of 60g fiber/day which keeps me under 100g net carb), about 6-8 servings of leafy/non-starchy veg, and lean proteins, plus fats (grassfed butter/beef; cod, salmon, avocado oil/avacado, olive oil, nuts/seeds). I haven't lost anything in 3 weeks, and have not even lost 2 pounds in the past month. I'm following an "anti-inflammatory" diet -- and haven't had a marker for inflammation in four weeks.

Oh, and I drink an average of 20 cups of water a day ... no coffee ... no diet soda/drinks.

It is extremely frustrating. But, I have to keep going. No, I'm not going to cut my calories further. I can't right now. Doing so would only set me back. Sure, I might drop a pound a week, but it will mess up my metabolism to the point that the weight *will* pile back on.

So my "max" calories per day (assuming I continue exercising at this level, which *is* sustainable), is about 2,000 calories a day (if I'm doing a lot of heavy labor -- like trenching around my garden to place pavers -- I'll need to eat a bit more, but that's occasional) My minimum calories will remain around 1850 (which is still lower than my goal weight TDEE). My goal is to lower my calorie deficit slowly... and once I hit my initial goal weight simply hold my calories at my "dream" goal weight TDEE and take the slow and steady approach to getting there. It may take me four years, but I shouldn't have any issues maintaining it. NEVER again will I eat less than my current weight BMR, let alone 1,300 calories less than my TDEE.

• grandmallie
    Beth - I have to check my turbo tax and the irs website
    Think because i used a small cookie sheet there was to much toffee ,but had aittle taste and it still tastes good
  • cityjaneLondon
    Managed to get some sense out of the family at last.
    We are picking up the kids from school on Tuesday, in the company of the young Italian woman who picks them up three days a week. That's good. She is a student and part of her course is German. :D I hope to speak a few words to her. It will probably be raining. :* But great to catch up with the kids.
    Then we have a Fatto lunch or early dinner on the 6th. Hooray! But a big gap in between when they are away. Max will be able to use his new tent on the camping weekend.
    I do get a bit lonely when DH is at the cricket. He might not go every day because of the bad weather. I love having the house to myself, but it can be a long four days, with him not getting back until past 8 pm. I tend not to do well foodwise. :# Also mustn't drink alcohol. Thursday will be busy with things to do, but he might be home that day.

Tomorrow afternoon we are tackling my books in his study. Not looking forward to it.

Had a phone call for an hour with my girlfriend this pm. Might catch up with a few more next week.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    Got to sing in a mini choir today. So nice to be back singing!
    :heart: Margaret
  • Katla49
    Dealing with a headache today, and that is not usual for me. I hope to feel better. I just took tylenol and it hasn’t had time to work yet.