WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,389 Member
    Thanks Carol, its interesting to me, how my food tastes have evolved over this year. Its nice to buy healthy items, and actually use them, and eat them up. I used to buy veggies only to leave them in the produce drawer until they became a science experiment. Now I buy and eat it all up!
    💖 Rebecca
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,932 Member
    ☘️
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    :
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Good evening,
    Okay, so I quit whining and think I made an adult observation about myself today. No, I didn't want to go to work, but so many depend on me. When I got there the first thing SIL says is she has a headache and wouldn't be there if she didn't have certain things that had to be done-SURPRISE! NOT! At first I was pissed. As the morning progressed, I realized I am less stressed when she isn't there. If she is there, I expect her to "help" or do her job taking care of business at work. When she isn't really present to assist and help everyone, then it is much more stressful to me. Since I was solo, it was easy to just say, hey, sorry, I am solo today, so bear with me. I was calm and customers were overall patient. Yes, I have lots to do tonight, but the day was much better. Either help with whatever needs done or get the h^&& out of my way. Just an observation on my part. Not looking for perfection, just best effort.

Lisa- Enjoy! I miss the babies! Mine are too busy these days.

Meg- You have more patience than I do for puppies. They are cute, but my life doesn't allow me enough time to be a good puppy parent. Good job sticking up for yourself!

Better get some work done.
    Thank you ladies for being here for me and each other!

Love,
    Kylia in wet Ohio (but didn't have to water new plantings tonight)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    The clearout went extremely well. I had steeled myself to chuck nearly all of it into the tip. 100s of them. Although they are wonderful paperbacks, the print is tiny and I know we will never read them again. I've kept school prizes, my old religious books, and books I loved as a child. Plus a couple I think the kids might read. It was lovely to rediscover all the foreign language versions of the children's books I wrote. Max might be amused by the Spanish version of Well I Never! CARAMBA! I will try and read the German versions of the two Herbert books. :D
    I also weeded out some good quality crime and historical thrillers that I've just posted on Freecycle.
    c5bm875mbr8j.jpg
    I expect they will go quite quickly. We buy the hardbacks as presents to each other. :D

Then DH rang a clearance company who are coming on Wednesday morning to give an estimate. If they are not too expensive they can take it away immediately. We have about a quarter of a garage full of junk.
    Feels so good!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

If I were getting rid of books, I would take them to a used book store. :)

That's where I get my books and it is a delight to find whole series and like-new books for a fraction of the price they would have been originally.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,787 Member
    <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💚💙❤️🧡
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    😴
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, helped Joe change the UV bulb in our water filtering system
    Bonus: chopped 3 more tarploads of brush, beach stroll with T and Shadow.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, board meeting minutes, return Doug’s call, follow up with Dr re: Joe’s annual charges not covered 100%, watch for refund from Interpath for Joe’s labs paid on Feb statement call S, fire district: ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers).
    Meaningful May:
    18: Find a way to make what you do today meaningful: hmm, vacuuming not particularly meaningful, neither is brush chopping, maybe it’s a sign I should buckle down and do the minutes ;)

Carol, I always blame the mammogram machine design on being male-designed. If it were a testicogram machine you can bet it would not be a squisher :naughty: We gals need to get off our duffs and design a better way.
    pip Ashland, Long Beach, Bothell, have happy memories of all 3 places. Bon voyage.
    Rebecca the Hilda profile pic is cute, but not as cute as your smilin’ face.
    Meg good for you for sticking to your “No.” Puppy pics?
    Lisa :love: that Levi.
    Heather I salute you. Like Katla I have lots of books and little intent to thin the herd.
    @kevrit Rita r u ok?

Knees really bothering me the past two days, maybe due change in weather. Had to take the sandy (shorter) path to the beach to avoid the rolling rocks. They feel better after walking, worse after sitting. Broke down and took an ibuprofen yesterday, red wine and aspirin today.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: leaner/stronger/kinder than April.
    daily: sit with Joe:17 , weigh/wii: 17/1/14; steps>6362=6934 vits=16, log=17, CI<CO=15, CI<250<CO=14, Tumble=10, Shadow=11, mfp=17, outside=16, up hill=14, clean 10=8.5
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rX x4=3 dance=2, packwalk x2=3,
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/2:139.1!, 5/9:141.8, 5/16:, 5/23:, 5/30:.
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.5
    bonus: AF=13 play=1 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,127 Member
    Machka - Nowhere is taking used books these days. You can’t get rid of them anywhere. Because of the pandemic, charity shops gave only just opened again and they say NO BOOKS. People are putting them on their garden wall for people in the street to take, but it's been raining for weeks. I have given thousands of books to charity book stores in the past. We don't have used book stores over here any more.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited May 2021
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Michelle: We have had a tougher pandemic than some other states and the safety of our communities are a high priority for citizens & businesses. Wearing masks helps people to avoid the virus. The situation is improving. Our recent lunch at a restaurant was the first in a long time. Carrying a photo of our vaccination cards got us a nice seat in a recently opened restaurant. The proof of vaccinations makes us all feel confident that we’re safe from covid and can eat a meal in a restaurant with others.

Northern Ireland hasn't fared too badly, Nonetheless, I thoroughly agree with safety being paramount. I am aghast at how many people are rushing to return to a 'normal' which allowed this virus to sweep the world, and has so far led to over 128,000 deaths in U.K., over 600,000 deaths in USA, and over 3,300,000 deaths worldwide.

Complacency is our enemy!!! Staying safe and protecting others by wearing a mask, and getting vaccinated is the very least we can do to limit the spread of this plague. It's a minor inconvenience when compared to the anguish of those who have suffered and died, and the grief of their families.

☘️ Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,127 Member
    edited May 2021
    Barbara - Before we moved here we sent 22 large boxes of books to the Oxfam bookstore. After moving here we sent 6 large boxes to the Amnesty bookstore. When we were first married,and there were still such things as used book shops, DH sold around 10 boxes. We still have 5 tall bookcases of books. The ones in the garage for dumping were a lot of philosophy text books and old paperback novels. Great books, but unreadable to our old eyes. No one wants them any more. Amazon has done for bookshops, with even big chains just hanging on.
    I was very attached to the idea of the books, because they held memories, but I felt only relief when they were gone. Most I had not even unpacked from the move and they were annoying DH by taking up space in his study. We are now hoping that the clearance people will be reasonably priced for our junk. DH does not feel up to numerous visits to the council dump with heavy stuff any more.

DH had a bad night. I was woken by his cries at 4.30 am, he was in a sweating, naked heap on the bed, having a panic attack and feeling sick. My usual trick with the wet flannel on his forehead worked and he eventually calmed down. Amazingly, I went back to sleep! My guess is that he is getting worked up about the cricket. He had to fill in a long form last night for covid precautions and it states he will have to wear a mask. Of course,he was worrying about his glasses fogging up etc. Also it is a long journey there every day for 4 days, getting back late in the evening. It will be fine, but I'm sure the worry was building up. I don't think he is the only person having re-entry anxieties after 14 months lockdown. I have not been in a car for 15 months.
    He has not driven that far for a long time. Just trips to charge the battery.

Oh well. We are meeting the kids after school today, with Maddie, the girl who picks them up 3 days a week and gives them tea. I hope to say a few words of German to her. It will certainly cheer DH up to see them. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Michelle: We have had a tougher pandemic than some other states and the safety of our communities are a high priority for citizens & businesses. Wearing masks helps people to avoid the virus. The situation is improving. Our recent lunch at a restaurant was the first in a long time. Carrying a photo of our vaccination cards got us a nice seat in a recently opened restaurant. The proof of vaccinations makes us all feel confident that we’re safe from covid and can eat a meal in a restaurant with others.

Northern Ireland hasn't fared too badly, Nonetheless, I thoroughly agree with safety being paramount. I am aghast at how many people are rushing to return to a 'normal' which allowed this virus to sweep the world, and has so far led to over 128,000 deaths in U.K., over 600,000 deaths in USA, and over 3,300,000 deaths worldwide.

Complacency is our enemy!!! Staying safe and protecting others by wearing a mask, and getting vaccinated is the very least we can do to limit the spread of this plague. It's a minor inconvenience when compared to the anguish of those who have suffered and died, and the grief of their families.

☘️ Terri

3,400,000 deaths so far.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I find I forget that other parts of the world are still dealing with COVID, but we are hearing quite a bit about India these days.

Sorry to hear about your tummy troubles.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    My husband was diagnosed with Non-ST segment elevation myocardial infarction (NSTEMI)

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/heart-attack/diagnosis/
    "An NSTEMI can be less serious than an STEMI because the supply of blood to the heart may be only partially, rather than completely, blocked. As a result, a smaller section of the heart may be damaged. However, an NSTEMI is still regarded as a serious medical emergency. Without treatment, it can progress to serious heart damage or STEMI."

A couple other articles:
    https://www.healthline.com/health/nstemi
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321059

NSTEMI risk factors
    You’re much more likely to experience acute coronary syndrome such as NSTEMI if you have the following risk factors:

You smoke.
    You’re physical inactivity.
    You have high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
    You have diabetes.
    You’re overweight or obese.
    Your family has a history of heart disease or stroke.

My husband hasn't smoked in a couple decades, he is active, he has slightly elevated blood pressure and cholesterol, no diabetes, slightly overweight but not obese. So perhaps there's a family history.

We had the first of several follow-up appointments today.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited May 2021
    ☘️