WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Books - When we moved in 2016 I donated a lot of books as we didn't have room in the new place for them. Since then I have only bought new books by two authors that I like and one that DH likes. We have a secondhand shop that sells books for $0.50 per inch for paperbacks and $1.00 for hardcovers. I buy a lot of books there and then donate them back. A couple of weeks ago I sent four to my Mom in with her birthday/Mother's Day gifts.

Lisa - Enjoy your family being there. Oh my! What a way to be forced out of bed.

Kylia - Life is so much less stressful when you reach the decision you can't change others only your reaction to them. I have found that life has improved greatly when I adopted that attitude.

Heather - Sorry to read that Johnny is suffering in the night, everything seems so much easier to handle during the day. I have learned that the trick to your glasses not fogging up with the mask is to make sure the mask is pinched tight across the nose and put the mask just under the bottom of the frame of the glasses.

Machka - it's good that you have a diagnosis for your husband. The list of risk factors are scary to me, my husband has every one of them. He is trying to eat better, be more active and lose weight now. Since before we were married he told me that I would be widowed early as men in his family are usually gone by 65. I have told him repeatedly that he can fix that trend, but just like anything he needs to want it for himself.

Alberta had the highest daily new cases of Covid in all of North America two weeks ago. I haven't kept up to know if it's slowed or not on the grand scale, I know it has provincially. My tiny home province of NB is having higher numbers now than they have since last March. I am praying my in-laws and brother stay safe. They are not vaccinated yet, my Mom is.

I have been skimming along, our new payroll system parallel went well. This week and next will be busy again, we start our first live payroll period on May 30th. I still have a lot of education to complete.

Tracey in rainy Edmonton. They are calling for snow later on tonight.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    B)
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Joining the group late but planning to get some healthy eating in during the last of May.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    <3
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,781 Member
    Pip--I also would like to donate to your MS ride. Could you PM your address to send a donation.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Lisa - Oh, those eyes! How utterly gorgeous. <3

Katla - Sorry about your dog. <3

We picked the kids up and found the student. To my surprise, she spoke perfect English. It turns out her mother is English and she spent her 6th form years in England, living with her grandmother. We did have a few conversations in German, but I quickly found my limitations. :o But it is the most German I have ever spoken. She is really nice. Had to wrench the kids out of the playground. Edie is a climbing monkey!
    At home they played with DH while she got the tea ready. Then we all sang Spanish kids' songs from the iplayer!
    She said she felt German (she is British/Italian) . I said I felt French. (Totally British/English) :D

Came home to microwave the duck legs I had cooked at lunch time to have with local asparagus. Yummo!

Much love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Ok soooo I have just been laying low today..did send a note to my dr and let her know about todays bout and my eyes going wonky.. i have a physical on June 2nd.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    Katla I hope seeing your vet is easier for you than it is for us here...
    I am still recovering from yesterday. I had a bad night because of leg cramps... not drinking enough water and over doing it in the garden. I came down and our dishwasher went out. It is our newest appliance. DH is taking care of getting it fixed.

Then I took DrewB for her morning walk and she had black poop again. She had it last week and then it got better. So took stool into my vet and they said it was abnormal. Vet said urgent visits are full for today. I should call back at 8 in the morning and I might luck out and get a slot. So I took her to emergency care where she was treated when she ate the Cadbury eggs. Dr. did exam and blood work. Only thing off slightly was her pancreas reading. She wanted an ultra sound done but I had to take her to another clinic today. I got there at 8 and I was lucky to get a slot in the afternoon. She is there now.

Fortuanately I have had too much experience dealing with medical issues so I knew when I got the press 1 for this and 2 for that. I pressed the button that got me to a person. I think these systems are terrible for emergency organizations. If I or my dog was in a true life and death situation it wastes too much precious time to get you to the right place to talk to.

If I had waited for my vet I would still more than likely be waiting.

What I found interenting is their vet waited to do another exam and charge me for it even though this clinic is associated with the other clinic. I was referred to this clinic by its sister clinic. I suppose I can look at it as a second opinon.

Fortuately I did have a good night sleep last night.

Not so DH in the middle of me trying to get her to the vet yesterday said he would like his dark beer back. I put this away when he had the pancreatis attack and I did not want him tempted until he knew he could handle alcohol again. I still woud prefer he not drink because his pancreatis can reoccur and alcohol can aggrevate this condition. I know he certainly aggrevated me. I told him unless there is something he can do to help me get out the door to take care of Drew just do not say anything.

I do have to remember he did get the repair guy in for the dishwasher. Now we wait for part for two weeks. This is easy compared to dealing with DrewB.

It is a reminder that is you can find someone you can trust it is important to have an advocate for you in times of emergencies because the system is not set up to help you quickly unless it is so bad you have to call 911. As far as I know there is no 911 for dogs. If I won the lottery this is one of the first things I would set up.

:heart: Margaret
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    I did found out you press 1 if emergency. Then it is followed by 4 more choices. Hard to think when upset about fur baby.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Barbara: I can’t imagine any of the males I know would willingly have a mammogram. I can’t imagine them willingly have a testiogram, either. :noway:

Heather: Your post made me wonder whether the covid virus would live on paperback books long enough to infect someone. Our public library subscribes to “Library to Go.” Amazon is a part of the process. You can checkout electronic books owned by your participating public library through Amazon. I’ve been reading many books on my computer & phone using this service. You have to have a current library card with your participating library in order to check out the electronic version of the books you want to read. This has helped to save my sanity. I love to read. :heart:

Terri: So sorry you were sick. I agree that complacency is our enemy. We still wear masks at the grocery store for our own safety and that of others. Having proof of vaccination has made it possible for some restaurants to reopen in our town. We photographed our proof of vaccinations and have the photo on our mobile phones. We are able to show the photo when going in the door to the restaurant. Everyone is safer that way and the restaurant is back in business after well over a year. :star:

Machka: NSTEMI risk factors would apply to both of my parents, who died many years ago from smoking cigarettes. They were chain smokers who would light a new cigarette from the previous one. DH has been an insulin dependent diabetic since before we met. He was a smoker when we first met. i was never a smoker, and refused to date him until after he quit. It has all worked out well for us in the longterm. :smiley:

Allie: We have two little free libraries within walking distance of our house. I love them. Sometimes I find a gem to read and sometimes I put in books that I no longer want. :bigsmile:

Bananas: I use Vitamin D3 to improve my mood and overall health. It has been nicknamed the sunshine vitamin. Good luck to you. :star:

Machka: Do I remember correctly that your brother is in Louisiana? They’ve had a load of weather problems this past year. I hope they’re okay. Our son’s good friend since college days lives in New Orleans. We haven’t heard any news about his family in quite a while. :ohwell:

Tracey: Snow has been rare here the past couple of years. We had some before Thanksgiving. It got lots of news coverage. Snow here was on the ground about two days. Luckily for us, we have a car that has four-wheel drive and we were easily able to get to the grocery store. It is a good snow memory. :star:

Rebecca: That house reminds me of Astoria. I love seeing the old Victorian homes. :smiley:

Allie: I hope you’re feeling better. :star:

Margaret: I am sorry you’ve had leg cramps. Have you tried tums? I’ve used them when I’ve had foot cramps and they’ve helped. DH has used them for leg cramps. They help him, too. :flowerforyou:

We are having a rainy day and I am happy to be warm and dry inside.

Katla in rainy NW Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Pip--I also would like to donate to your MS ride. Could you PM your address to send a donation.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND NE <3

When I register, you will have the option of donating online or mailing a check to me, you wouldn’t want to make the check out to me but make check payable to the MS Society, I’ll let u know, thanks for the support
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    ☘️
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    I didn't have the lemon meringue pie tonight because I went out for lunch. Small victories! ☺️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did a body pump DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Cathe Friedrich’s Afterburn DVD

After exercise went for a walk around the block. Around the block and to the main road and back is almost 1-1/2 miles. I found that I can do that in about 30 minutes

Rebecca – I’m right with you. My food tastes have changed, too. Now if you offered me a ripe, juicy peach or a piece of pizza, I’d choose the peach. Used to be I’d have chosen the pizza.

Terry – so glad you’re feeling better

Vince went to get his allergy shot. For the first time he could go into the office. He was telling the one receptionist that by law you can’t ask someone for proof of vaccination, you really can’t even ask them if they’ve been vaccinated. The receptionist behind her agreed with him. Thank you HIPPA <sarcastic> I agree, we need to stop thinking only of ourselves and start thinking of others, too.

LisaKinVA – YEAAA for the scale moving.

M – so sorry about your brother

Vince has been talking about getting a new bowling ball (like he really needs it!). Well, for father’s day I would like to get him a ball but have a picture of Kyle Busch put on it. I called Joe Gibbs racing and found out that all the pictures of KB are copyrighted, so I asked a friend of mine (if I said I wanted to watch a NASCAR race, that would really send up red flags) to help me so he’s going to try to get a picture for me.

Claram – welcome!

Allie – how horrible for you! Glad you’re feeling better now

katla – we’re pretty sure one of our cats has some dementia. She used to be fanatically meticulous. We NEVER needed to give her a bath. She’d spend 2 minutes in the litter box, then 5 covering it up. Now she has mats and she started pooping at the base of our of our cat trees. You can see her looking like “I have to go to the bathroom, but where do I go? The litter box is in the mud room, but where? Or maybe should I go at the cat tree?”. She’s just so confused. Then she started peeing on the cat tree. That isn’t at all like her. So we put a litter box next to the cat tree, and she hasn’t gone on the tree at all. I just feel so bad for her. She just doesn’t know where to go. So sorry about your dog. When we go to the vet, we have to call them from the car, they come out and get the pet while we wait in the car, then bring your pet back. Frustrating!

After the doctor’s, stopped at the Salvation Army then home and made some cookies for Steve to take home. I like to have as much as possible done ahead of time.

Since it’s fairly cloudy outside and it’s supposed to be warmer as the week goes on, I may string a little popcorn.

Vince is pretty upset. The vet got back to him (he’d sent an email about how Bonnie’s tumor is back). The vet said that she doesn’t like that it’s come back so soon. Honestly, when I was petting her, I felt a lump but it was more like feeling a mat than a lump. Vince is thinking that we will have to have her put down, I just say to wait and see.

Strung popcorn for about an hour. I think I’m probably done for this year. Then worked on the puzzle. Getting there. Now I think I’ll go for a walk.

Michele NC
  • GodMomKim
    <3