Name something that was easy for you to give up

1234568»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,342 Member
    I don’t look at as ‘giving up’ something but rather making different choices.
    Some easy different choices I made include:
    Swapping the proportion of yogurt and cereal in my breakfast. It used to be a big bowl of cereal with a little yogurt. Now it is a little cereal with a lot of yogurt. The result was fewer carbs and more protein.
    Drinking water as my drink of choice.
    Filling my plate half with vegetables.

Not so easy different choice — reducing or even eliminating my after dinner snack. I still often look for something at round 9pm.

That’s not my disagree but I had to laugh. The 8:00 hour is “chai time” and at 9pm on the dot I have a dessert.

9pm must be your and my witching hour. What?!!! No dessert? Bitching hour.
  • ExpressoLove11
    ExpressoLove11 Posts: 337 Member
    I haven't given anything up entirely but things I very rarely have now are alcohol, pizza, pasta and potatoes. Not because I don't enjoy them, I just don't relish the way they make me feel after eating them.
  • joyanna2016
    joyanna2016 Posts: 323 Member
    I've given up eating breakfast and an early lunch as I now do time restricted eating and eat from 3-10 PM. 😁 Other than that, about the only thing I've actually given up is regular soda.
  • Vjmikesell
    Vjmikesell Posts: 36 Member
    Giving up meat and cheese to go vegetarian was super easy (will be a year in July). Giving up ketchup, on the other hand, was absolute hell. I went through ketchup withdrawals, tremors, hot flashes, etc.. getting a sponsor really helped.

In all seriousness, I was hooked on ketchup. I ate it on EVERYTHING. Quitting taught me that if you cold-Turkey off of something, I’m about 2 months (that’s what it took me, time could be a bit duffer for others) your taste buds will completely change.

Giving up ketchup took last 10 pounds off me, cured my salty and sweet tooth, and made good taste completely different.
  • 406MamaBear
    406MamaBear Posts: 47 Member
    Donuts! They’re just not worth it to me anymore. I find that’s true of a lot of sugary sweets now, but I love chips and salsa!
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Big portions. Did it gradually but it was surprisingly easy.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Soda and large portions, probably. Also vegetables. Most vegetables make my IBS very upset.

Soda....I was very poor before I started losing weight, and one month we could either eat dinner all the days of the month or I could get my diet colas. I knew I could get the caffeine from tea, so let the sodas go. Later on I was doing laundry at my mother's house, and kept a case of diet cola there because it wasn't as much fuss as making tea while I was there. And I started noticing every Monday (I washed on Sundays) I HURT. My chronic pain was very seriously worse! I blamed it on the labor of helping her clean house, making a big dinner, and doing five or six loads of laundry in eight hours. But one weekend I got there and Eldest Son, who's been living with Mom since she hurt her back, said, "Hey, Mom, I drank all your sodas, sorry, I'll get you more when I get paid." And so I had no sodas. Did all the usual stuff and drank tea instead. And Monday I was a little tired but not at all sore. Kept an eye on it. Drink soda- sore tomorrow. Drink tea- just fine. I can figure out what my body is trying to tell me, there! And so I've never missed it.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I honestly don't think I've given anything up ENTIRELY, but in practice I almost never eat rice, potatoes, or pasta anymore. I WILL but they were always 'filler' to me to add bulk to meals. bulk that, given my previous obesity I super did not need.

Oh wait, I did give something up completely. I replaced all my dairy milk with unsweetened almond milk. I don't miss that at either.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited May 2021
    Random amounts of mayo on everything. Not missed.

High calorie ready made dressings on salads. Also not missed.

Adding the (multi) daily "obligatory" fries to everything to the point of saying to myself... I wish McDonald's had some different sides! Now fries are an occasional treat, more often than not ordered by themselves unless I was having pre-Corona fish and chips, instead of being the obligatory part of the combo.

Since the thread is about "easy to give up" this does not qualify as it involved a long weaning process. But I truly do not miss my 3 cream - 3 sugar syrups and have replaced them with copious amounts of dark roast strongly brewed coffee--black.