Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Replies

• NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    I got tired (literally and figuratively) of being in pain and unable to live the active outdoor lifestyle I had prior to having back surgery and dealing with severe arthritis in my back and hips. Reducing pain and inflammation were the major drivers. With the pain under control most of the time, after some weight loss, health remains the driving force but being able to horseback ride again and buck hay would be great! A smaller dress size certainly wouldn’t make me cry either 😊
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    1.) A friend died of covid when he was only 39. It made us all think about under-lining health issues.
    2.) A bad dr. report showing I had some major health issues (which I have taken care of now)
  • saramelie77
    saramelie77 Posts: 50 Member
    edited June 2021
    When I turned 40 and felt so old and tired. Now a couple months later, down 30 pounds (many more to go), I already feel sooooo much better!
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    When last summers clothes didn't fit
  • tluisa311
    tluisa311 Posts: 113 Member
    When I realized that I looked like a breakfast sausage link in a bikini....
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    I've started so many times, and it's hard to pinpoint exactly what has stopped me in the past...excuses, lack of motivation, thinking I had a ton of time, mourning the loss of both my parents and my two remaining grandparents, holidays, FOMO....Things changed for me in January of 2021, at the highest weight I have ever been, after a girls trip to Disney/Universal where I struggled to fit on some rides I realized that I didn't want to be the "fat" friend, Aunt, wife, coworker, etc.... I also have some more trips to the parks coming up, one in 2022 with my husband, and one in 2023 with the rest of our family, and I want so badly to be there with my three nieces as they experience these magical things for the first time, and I want to be able to ride the attractions with them.
    Since January 2021 I'm down 35 lbs, it's slow but going well (with some days better than others) but I'm fully committed for the first time in my life, at 131 logged days here on MFP, and daily exercise (stationary bike and weights) I'm finally ready to get this weight off and take my life back!
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Global Pandemic , auto immune disorder, 236 lbs. Big risk factors and clock ticking did it for me.
  • imalicsw
    imalicsw Posts: 2 Member
    I've always been overweight but in relatively good health. Over the last few years that started to change. Well, about 2 months ago I started having problems with my knees and suddenly here I am walking with a cane! That's it for me. I'm only 52 with a 14 year old daughter. I need to get my health back in order. It's way overdue.
  • dougl004
    dougl004 Posts: 98 Member
    The real, true, turning point for me was when I realized I was my own lowest priority. Oh, I had lots of reasons for overeating, but it mostly came down to being apathetic about myself. I took worse care of myself than I would my worst enemy.

I'm not doing that, anymore.

Just... weight loss is happening and has happened dramatically and I'm proud of it, but it's a happy side effect of deciding that I needed to care about me.

Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing your story. I'm sure others can relate. I hope you continue to have success on your health journey.
  • Cozgirl40
    Cozgirl40 Posts: 30 Member
    I retired in April 2021 after 43 years in retail. I worked for the "Big W" so, of course, I worked through the pandemic. I've had both my knees replaced (May 2020 and Feb 2021) and having extra weight on me did not help in my recovery. That's when I decided to get the weight off. An extra incentive is that my daughter is getting married Nov 2022.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    I changed jobs 9/14/20 to a place that the manager is not a micro-manager, like my previous manager. I'm a RN. Then without really trying between then and 5/3/21 I lost 15 lbs. 5/3/21 I had my first and last gallbladder attack. Recovering post surgery, I read that there is a tendency to gain weight after gallbladder removal. I thought, "Great. Just what I need." Read up and started low Carb during recovery. I started 5/14/21 and to date have lost 60 lbs + the first 15 for 75 lbs so far and 58 lbs more to go!!!
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 420 Member
    My kids are in college now, and I'm looking forward to traveling and playing with grandkids (eventually)!
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    edited November 2021
    I started gaining weight when I was 21 in 2009. I was upset as I was never overweight growing up but I felt helpless and didn't do anything about it. Fast forward Dec 2014- I did bungee jumping and 3 things scared and embarrassed me- I had touched almost 90 kgs, they used a rope for attachment meant for a 70 kg person( had the kiwi chick not realised it, it would've been a very messy, ugly sight and third when they did get the appropriate rope, the guy who helped me down made a face like he couldn't lift me. I was mortified. I got here in Feb 2015. I've been on off here but I'm not giving up!!
  • denyasarah
    denyasarah Posts: 1 Member
    I realised that having gone up two sizes since the start of the pandemic, my now ‘fat clothes’ were getting tight and I just generally felt fat and heavy. My son had also put his mind to it and lost loads so I felt I either do something about it or keep going in the weight gain direction. Also no longer enjoyed clothes shopping etc .. horrible!