What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2021
    should i switch up my exercises? I've been walking my kids in a wagon and sometimes doing a beginner hiit routine. i burn more calories by walking and it's less intense, so i think i should just double up my walking time. but it's probably just as important to have variety in my routine, so I'm not entirely sure. over been extra hungry lately, so i know i need to burn more calories if I'm going to stay within my calorie goal

What's important, for now, is just that you're consistent. Whatever it is, walking or doing a beginner "HIIT" routine (which likely isn't real HIIT, but that's a whole 'nother thread! WAY overused term on the internet and by fitness people). Do what you can, do it consistently, don't try to add much more, listen to your body. Over time, you'll be able to add amazing intensity and stamina if you're just consistent and don't try to do too much at once or get injured or burned out.

Eventually, you want to get to the point where you have some cardio and some lifting. Both are important. Lifting doesn't have to be fancy. Pushups, squats without weights, planks, pressups and simple rows with lighter weights (with maybe some bridges) take care of most of your muscle groups. Just build basic, simple foundations for now.

Today was 5K on the rower in the garage. 80 degrees w/ 80% humidity. And no, 80 degrees with 80% humidity isn't worse than 103 with no humidity! It felt like a cool day to me, despite the fact that I was dripping sweat. The only time we have humidity in Tucson is during the rainy monsoon season and it's been storming all day. Love it!

After the row, did 30 more minutes inside on the AD Pro (Assault Bike). Very easy on the bike. Very easy day overall and back feels good -- didn't push hard at all on the rower.

• mistyrbell9588
    mistyrbell9588 Posts: 20 Member
    should i switch up my exercises? I've been walking my kids in a wagon and sometimes doing a beginner hiit routine. i burn more calories by walking and it's less intense, so i think i should just double up my walking time. but it's probably just as important to have variety in my routine, so I'm not entirely sure. over been extra hungry lately, so i know i need to burn more calories if I'm going to stay within my calorie goal

What's important, for now, is just that you're consistent. Whatever it is, walking or doing a beginner "HIIT" routine (which likely isn't real HIIT, but that's a whole 'nother thread! WAY overused term on the internet and by fitness people). Do what you can, do it consistently, don't try to add much more, listen to your body. Over time, you'll be able to add amazing intensity and stamina if you're just consistent and don't try to do too much at once or get injured or burned out.

Eventually, you want to get to the point where you have some cardio and some lifting. Both are important. Lifting doesn't have to be fancy. Pushups, squats without weights, planks, pressups and simple rows with lighter weights (with maybe some bridges) take care of most of your muscle groups. Just build basic, simple foundations for now.

Today was 5K on the rower in the garage. 80 degrees w/ 80% humidity. And no, 80 degrees with 80% humidity isn't worse than 103 with no humidity! It felt like a cool day to me, despite the fact that I was dripping sweat. The only time we have humidity in Tucson is during the rainy monsoon season and it's been storming all day. Love it!

After the row, did 30 more minutes inside on the AD Pro (Assault Bike). Very easy on the bike. Very easy day overall and back feels good -- didn't push hard at all on the rower.

thanks! i am starting to notice improvements in my endurance and speed. a month ago, it took me fifteen minutes to walk ten laps with my kiddos in the wagon, now i can do it in ten. I'm feeling much more capable. it's almost aggravating! lol! I'll add extra steps on my walk and still get the same time! i don't have a Fitbit or a heart rate monitor, so I'm really doing some guessing.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member

thanks! i am starting to notice improvements in my endurance and speed. a month ago, it took me fifteen minutes to walk ten laps with my kiddos in the wagon, now i can do it in ten. I'm feeling much more capable. it's almost aggravating! lol! I'll add extra steps on my walk and still get the same time! i don't have a Fitbit or a heart rate monitor, so I'm really doing some guessing.

For fitness improvement, subjective assessment (a.k.a. guessing) is a pretty darned good guide, IMO, especially in early stages. Keep a little bit of (subjective) challenge in the picture, not so much that you carry fatigue long into the rest of your day, and you'll make progress. Keeping challenge in the picture can happen via increases in frequency, duration, intensity, or changing to more challenging exercise types, when what you're doing gets a little too easy.

Could you make faster progress by being more structured? Maybe. IMO, not as important early on to use a structured training plan, more important to figure out what's sustainable and fun for you personally. Could you make faster progress by using technical metrics, like heart rate? I think not much faster at first, vs. subjective things like RPE (rate of perceived exertion) scales. The latter even have some advantages over HR, in my opinion, especially early on.

Just my opinion, though. 🙂
  • AnnPT77
    * 8,389m rowing bow in the double. Nice day, pretty calm water, strong sun, temps in 70s . . . a little warm for me (I like cool), but not bad.
    * 5.37 mile walk, silly slow at 3.1mph average moving speed, taking photos of interesting wildflowers and other nonsense. Temps heading up into 80s, over 50% humidity, but lots of wooded stretches, light breeze where open, so OK.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,890 Member
    djmj8mufjtbb.png
    🚴
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    djmj8mufjtbb.png
    🚴

Nice ride!
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Djproulx wrote: »
    djmj8mufjtbb.png
    🚴

Nice ride!

Thanks!

Legs were fresh. I wanted to keep going but I had to get ready for work.

Last outside ride for some time because where I live just went into a lockdown. Rage!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 1,028 Member
    On Tuesday, I went climbing at Craggy Island.

It was not a great session. I got two or three new routes, but failed to make any progress on my two main projects. One the plus side, my finger strength is very good and I have been doing well at crimpy climbs.

One Wednesday, I did an hour of yoga before breakfast. Then, in the evening, I had leg day:

I worked up to:
    Squat, 80 kgs, 2 sets of 5 and 1 set of 10
    Deadlift, 100 kgs, 1 set of 10.

I forgot that it had been a while since I squatted, and my body has been complaining today. I'm undecided to what extent I should ignore it for today's exercise. (I do quite fancy a climb, but the odds of being on top form are low.)
  • Djproulx
    Ran this morning in humid conditions. 56 minute run including 4 x 6minute aerobic repeats/3min recovery pace.

I'm excited about riding my bike as part of a relay team in a local sprint distance triathlon tonight. One of my regular training partners is a very fast swimmer (1:23/100yds at 1.2M distance!) and since our original runner (who is also fast) had a conflict arise, we replaced her with another friend's son, who is an elite level college triathlete. Cameron placed third last week in the men's 18-24 age group a IM 70.3 Musselman. He will run the 5k for us.

So if I don't get smoked too badly on the bike split, we may just have a shot to win. Win or lose, it will be fun. Lots of my tri club pals will be there and the trash talking will be non stop. :)

• dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Morning bootcamp. Body weight exercises and some running. Evening will get back to some badminton
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    Yoga...
  • AnnPT77
    Ran this morning in humid conditions. 56 minute run including 4 x 6minute aerobic repeats/3min recovery pace.

I'm excited about riding my bike as part of a relay team in a local sprint distance triathlon tonight. One of my regular training partners is a very fast swimmer (1:23/100yds at 1.2M distance!) and since our original runner (who is also fast) had a conflict arise, we replaced her with another friend's son, who is an elite level college triathlete. Cameron placed third last week in the men's 18-24 age group a IM 70.3 Musselman. He will run the 5k for us.

So if I don't get smoked too badly on the bike split, we may just have a shot to win. Win or lose, it will be fun. Lots of my tri club pals will be there and the trash talking will be non stop. :)

Curious: Are tri events - masters ones, if not all - age-handicapped, in a relay especially?

FWIW background: Masters rowing races (individual races or whole regattas that are masters focused) age handicap (adjust seconds of race time) according to average age for multi-person boats, if there aren't age-segregated classes (which also would use average age). The number of seconds is . . . not enough, mostly, for someone as slow as me. 😉

Given that it's you I'm asking, you'd probably be racing open class (which in rowing can be any age, but no age handicapping) or equivalent, but thinking you might know the answer anyway.

Thanks!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    Yoga
    Sun Salutations (10-30m)
    Strength: Static Holds
    Hollow Body - 60-48-36-24-12s (3m)
    Handstand Wall - 60-48-36-24-12s (3m)
    Hang - 60-48-36-24-12s (3m)
    Dip - 60-48-36-24-12s (3m)
    Jumprope 100-200-300-400-500sk (1500sk)
    Vacuums
    5x20-60s (1m40s-5m)
  • Djproulx
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Curious: Are tri events - masters ones, if not all - age-handicapped, in a relay especially?

FWIW background: Masters rowing races (individual races or whole regattas that are masters focused) age handicap (adjust seconds of race time) according to average age for multi-person boats, if there aren't age-segregated classes (which also would use average age). The number of seconds is . . . not enough, mostly, for someone as slow as me. 😉

Given that it's you I'm asking, you'd probably be racing open class (which in rowing can be any age, but no age handicapping) or equivalent, but thinking you might know the answer anyway.

Thanks!

@Ann - On relay teams, I have not seen any age group splits, simply because relay teams are not always allowed and there are usually only a few teams. This is different than the system used to segment folks racing the full triathlon.

In USA Triathlon sanctioned events, everyone races the same course and there are two basic distinctions: Professionals/Elites, then everybody else. The "everybody else" group is broken up into men's and women's 5 year age classes. M30-34, M35-39, W30-34, W35-39 etc, for establishing finishing positions. So for example, at the Ironman 70.3 race at Lake Placid, I received 3 finishing placement numbers: Placement among men in my age group, placement among all men racing, and placement in the overall field (men and women).

BTW: Last night's relay at my local lake was a good new/bad news story: The GOOD: beautiful night to race, 300 participants and a chance to see friends I haven't seen in over a year. More GOOD: Our swimmer (50 year old woman) was number 3 out of the water! She is a true fish. And also VERY GOOD was that our runner smashed the run course in just over 17minutes for a 5k. Now the BAD news: The bike is a two loop 11ish mile course. I got off to a solid start, but didn't go wild during the first 2 miles, since it is almost all climbing. So a few strong cyclists blew by me. At the top, the course is flat for several miles then starts a long downhill. I passed several cyclists on the flats and flew by several more on the descent. I was in 5th place overall when I hit a rock while going 32mph and it almost threw me off the bike. Flatted tube, punctured tire and bent wheel rim. Game Over.

Just glad I didn't crash. I had a blast racing. You win some and you lose some. ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    @Djproulx -- glad you weren't injured badly, that sounds scary!

Didn't work out yesterday except taking my dogs for a walk. The worst part of the pool renovation is finally done (the CoolDeck finish). I had to set up a temporary fence so my pups could go out in their yard as the backdoor is temporary off limits till Sunday and then I had golf (did terrible last night, been off the last few times). Likely got in 9000 steps between hunting my ball and my wife's! Bright spot was after losing like 3 balls, I pulled a bright orange one out and could not lose it, no matter how hard I tried. Even though I tried my hardest, I couldn't seem to lose that last ball and went home with it! That's at least a plus.

Today was lifting in the garage and a hardish longer interval after. Did 8 sets (didn't go crazy) and then I did around 2200m at around 85% max HR. Forty minutes total. Back feeling decent. Not 100% but not bad either.
  • AnnPT77
    @Djproulx, thanks for the explanation: Interesting! I'm glad your team had some good moments, and that your race was going so well . . . but curse that rock, dangit. Next race better. Glad you weren't hurt.

Me, I've been lazing about, or maybe languishing. Yesterday, short walk (3+ miles) - well, stroll - with a friend, pleasant but not remotely vigorous. Today was a wind/rain rowing cancellation, and my schedule (plus grumpiness) limited other stuff today. Hoping for better weather tomorrow.

I still have a couple of days in the week, but am currently sitting at 179 Garmin active minutes so far this week, which is unusually low for outdoor-activity seasons, like 1/2-1/3 of normal weekly totals. 🙄
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Two one-hour Jazzercise classes, first one was Dance Mixx. Second one was LO-Flip Fusion, with incorporated cardio and strength training. I'm trying to get a streak going, of any exercise. Today is Day #1.
  • AnnPT77
    Lovely weather today: High 60s F in AM, heading for very low 80s later, around 50% humidity, light breeze.

Rowed just under 7k in bow of the quad. Guess I called the spins slightly shorter than usual of the bridges at either end: Not surprising, as we go a bit faster with C. in stroke seat, and kissing concrete bridge supports is a Bad Plan. Since it wasn't punitively hot/humid, we did some 10 strokes hard/10 strokes moderate intervals, once past the stretch with power boats and floating logs. 🙄

Compensating for lots of rainouts earlier in the week, took a 5+ mile walk post-row. Forgot to start Garmin, but route roughly same as 5.37mi walk earlier in the week.

Then farmers market (amazeballs artisan pickles (garlic cuke, radishes, eggs), brie cheese; now brewpub (citra-hopped IPA).

Life is good, today, eh? 🙂
  • Djproulx
    Completed a 2500 yard swim workout last night. Focused on putting in a third swim each week to build endurance.

This morning I joined a very large group ride designed as a cancer research fund raiser. Three of us decided on the 50 mile route. It was humid, hilly and fun. We didn't push too hard, averaging 16.3pmh. I rode the nine miles to the ride starting point, then rode home, for a 68 mile total ride. Once home, did a quick change into my run gear for a 25 minute transition run. Swim and long run tomorrow.
  • Djproulx
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Lovely weather today: High 60s F in AM, heading for very low 80s later, around 50% humidity, light breeze.

Rowed just under 7k in bow of the quad. Guess I called the spins slightly shorter than usual of the bridges at either end: Not surprising, as we go a bit faster with C. in stroke seat, and kissing concrete bridge supports is a Bad Plan. Since it wasn't punitively hot/humid, we did some 10 strokes hard/10 strokes moderate intervals, once past the stretch with power boats and floating logs. 🙄

Compensating for lots of rainouts earlier in the week, took a 5+ mile walk post-row. Forgot to start Garmin, but route roughly same as 5.37mi walk earlier in the week.

Then farmers market (amazeballs artisan pickles (garlic cuke, radishes, eggs), brie cheese; now brewpub (citra-hopped IPA).

Life is good, today, eh? 🙂

Sounds like a perfect day! My wife and I try to stop at a farm stand/farmers market at least every other day. There is so much great fresh food to try.