July 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @pfeiferlindsey I hope your half went well. Looking forward to reading about it.

Nice job on the hilly run on Thursday @WhatMeRunning . I did hills that day too and really "enjoyed" it.

@skippygirlsmom I think you are doing awesome considering your injury. If I recall correctly, when it first happened you were told at least 6 months before running again and look at you now!

It's hard to get back into the routine after vacation @Zoomie402 . You're doing great.

Great to see you @HonuNui ! I was wondering where you have been. Sorry to see that you were sick back in April. Glad you are better. Thanks so much for the tour of your little area of the world. I'm like @Scott6255 - that's probably the only way I'll ever get there. It looks lovely. Sad about the tsunami. I remember that tragedy. Thanks for the Mai Tai!

@Teresa502 You did great in your race! I can't imagine running that one. I also don't see how anyone could run that hill at the paces of the winners. You're pictures are great.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    7-1 2.1 miles running and 1.0 mile walking (Hill Repeats after cutting cedars for almost 1.5 hours)
    7-2 0.0 miles running but 1.0 mile walking on treadmill (also played doubles tennis this morning)
    7-3 9.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (easy pace, but not an easy run)
    7-4 0.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking laps on the driveway
    7-5 2.3 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (also played doubles tennis for almost 2 hours, outdoors)
    7-6 0.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking
    7-7 1.0 mile running, 1.0 mile walking (fast mile)
    7-8 2.6 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (Hill Repeats - 6 months post surgery)
    7-9 0.0 mile running, 1.0 mile walking (hot and humid)
    7-10 7.0 miles running, 1.0 mile walking (easy pace, very humid)

MT = 24.0/70 miles running: 10.0/31miles walking

I worked at daycare from 7:30 - 4:30 on Thursday. I got home at 5:30, so went out to do my run at 5:45. It was 77°F with 74% humidity. Thursday's schedule called for Hill Repeats. I was supposed to do 5 minutes zone 1, 5 min zone 2, 6 x (1 min uphill zone 5/2 min recovery zone 1), 5 min zone 1. It was threatening to storm, so ran on my driveway. The hill I normally use isn't long enough for 1 min, so used that hill, slowed for a short flat and downhill portion, then sprinted up the next shorter hill. So, while I didn't follow the plan exactly, I feel I met the intent. Max pace on the last up hill portion was 9:01 min/mile - not sustainable, at all. It felt good to get it done. I noticed on my way back up the driveway today that, had I started at the gate instead of where I did, that first hill could have possibly taken a minute to run up. Don't know why I didn't think about that on Thursday. :lol: Also, it was the 6th month anniversary of my open heart surgery, so I ran enough to make 2.6 mile. Thought about 6 miles that morning, but didn't have either the time nor the inclination when I got home.

Yesterday, I had daycare mandatory training from 8:30 - 3:30. Ran some errands and got home at 5. Had planned on a treadmill walk, but decided I really needed at least a little outdoor time, so walked on the driveway instead. According to Garmin, it was 77°F with 83% humidity. Glad I was outside, but it was really humid.

Today, I had planned to get up and out by 7am, but, when I looked at the weather last night, there wasn't going to be much of a difference in the weather at 8 am. I decided I needed the sleep more, so didn't get out until 8:30. It was 73°F with 89% humidity. The run really wasn't too bad, but there wasn't a dry stitch on my clothes when I was finished. So. Much. Sweat.

The scheduled run was 7 miles, easy pace. Like I said, there was a lot of sweat, but I was determined to make it a not horrible run. I wound up stopping twice at mom's to talk a few minutes during the run. The first time she had company I wanted to see/talk to. This is the person who invited us to the picnic, which was really good, btw. I also talked to my neighbor with Alzheimer's who was out on her porch. I walked when I felt like it, stopped to take a few pictures, was glad a couple of times when I needed to stop for a car to pass, but overall, it was an okay run. My average HR was 145, so I'm happy with that.

Things I saw on my run this morning under the spoiler.
    xw9y69pxulvj.jpg
    I think he thought this was his good side.

yeqdfp4bv7do.jpg
    Pretty flowers

4eequsl02d0z.jpg
    Close up of the flowers. I'm not sure, but these may be a money plant. If so, they are pretty, but not native and very invasive.

I did notice that both times after I stopped at mom's and started back out, that my HR spiked to around 175/170 then settled down to the 140's after a couple of minutes. Does that happen to anyone else? Do you think it is real or a Garmin glitch?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo Glad you are feeling some better. Don't overdo.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Hugs @rheddmobile ! Glad you got in a long run and decided to take care of yourself. If I could send you a flip, I would, but it doesn't sound like you really need nor want one. :wink: I do hope things get better for you soon.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your anniversary @AlphaHowls

Good for you for taking some time for yourself @rheddmobile

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Just checking in, skimmed posts, hugged and liked as appropriate.
    @Teresa502 that race sounds awesome! Great job!

I'm still feeling under the weather, so haven't run except one mile yesterday. It was a double success as 1) I got out the door, and 2) I called it and came home when I realized I wasn't feeling better after all. It's settled in my sinuses now and I feel headachey and tired... and it didn't help that I took some cold medicine Friday afternoon that contained caffeine and it majorly messed up my sleep. Vitamins, fluids, rest... :smile:

@Avidkeo hope you feel better soon!

@rheddmobile I'm glad you got to do your long run. You needed it. I'm also running low on flips, so probably shouldn't send you any.

@quilteryoyo maybe I missed this, but did you check your HR manually at those times? Sometimes mine has weird readings, but I typically assume it was a glitch, like cadence-lock or something.

Hey, speaking of that run the world thing, we're about 500k behind pace - should we add another runner or 2?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @sweetdaisy13 I'm glad they figured out what was going on with you. I didn't really feel anything, except that it was hard to get started back. I figured that was just because I had been standing around with little movement too long. I wouldn't have thought too much about it if it hadn't happened again after I had stopped. It did NOT happen when I stopped to talk to my neighbor, but I wasn't there as long. I did not manually check it @polskagirl01 . I started too, but didn't want to stop after just a few steps. LOL If it happens again, I will. Thanks for your input ladies.

@polskagirl01 I hope you feel better soon.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Tramboman Nice run. Glad you are looking forward to your race.

@Zoomie402 Nice running. Hills are hard.

@WhatMeRunning They need a LOL button. Can you run this afternoon instead?

Very nice run @Scott6255 !