Keto and Fasting has been amazing thus far.

Options

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I don’t always hit 5000 steps and can make that a new goal.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited July 2021
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Thank you. I don’t always hit 5000 steps and can make that a new goal.

@PAV8888 knows his/her stuff (Sorry can't recall your sex. lol).

But for information purposes... I'm hitting cardio 5 times a week. I try to do this Monday through Friday before work, so I get up at 4:30am to make this happen. I do take a day off from time to time, and then make up for it on the weekend usually with a longer then normal session (Boxing 15 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest intervals is amazing - like 1300 calorie burn amazing!).

I do cardio for approximately 30 minutes with a bit of cool down on the end. I'm probably pretty high intensity though, I like to get my heart rate into the mid 160's and I try to keep it there. To do this, I have quickly had to move from walking to Slogging. Granted at near 400lbs I slog close to a normal person's moderate walk.

I'm really grateful for the fairly large hill in the community in which I live. 5 laps is just over 1 mile and each lap consists of 30% Hill, 30% downhill, and 40% Level.... So I slog constantly on the downhill and level section and walk as quick as I can manage up the hill. The hill basically ups my heart rate, and the slogging tries to hold it... So each lap my Heart rate goes up until by the forth lap or so I'm in my target zone.

I generally do 7 laps now or close to 1.5 miles. Or I use the Elliptical and I just hit a new PR of 1.8 miles in 30 minutes. Or I box with the Heavy bag (this is a new arrival, in the last 3 weeks.. Highly recommended).

The fitter I get the harder I need to work to get my heartrate up, so it just never gets easy. Which is great. I think getting your heart rate up regularly just makes it stronger and more proficient. And is probably a big reason for how quickly it's improved. That's only a guess though.

Here's some sample work outs of Walking, Elliptical and Boxing. :)

Oh and for what it's worth, I very quickly got knee braces to help support my knee's.. Cause it was hard on them when i started. Specially cause that was the only exercise option I had in the beginning. Pavement hurts. I now use weight lifting knee wraps instead of knee braces cause i find them better and quicker to put on as tight or loose as I want.. And I only wear one on my left knee now. And Soon I think I won't need it anymore.

Elliptical is fine no wraps needed which was a blessing. I also use knee wraps for Dead lifting. :P :)

v1x4hlw7hoz0.jpg
    I find walking/slogging allows me to get my heart rate jacked more so then Elliptical or Boxing.

dvemq4fp7u7c.png
    Yesterday.. This was a PR by a good margin. I really pushed much harder for longer periods. The dip near the end is when I got off the machine... The Heart rate monitor always seems to stop working right when I step off. Then I sat on my *kitten* drank water before climbing 2 flights of stairs to my bedroom and finally ending the exercise. lol

csjb0ef3bi1g.jpg
    This was Boxing on Saturday.. Also a PR in terms of the most Calories burnt. 15 full 3 minute rounds HIIT with 1 minute rest between rounds. Surprising how fast the time goes by in this way. Pardon my scary face. :D

• Poobah1972
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Hi. I have been doing keto since Feb and am going to start IF 16:8 this week. I am slowly eating later each day. I am also going to cut back on the fat I eat. I am losing but still have a lot of abdominal fat. I do have diabetes and my glucose is much better.

Interestingly I have found that upping not only my calorie intake, but more so my fat content on double workout days to be critical in providing me energy to last the entire day and workout. So on a cardio only day I may range around 60% fat calories +/- 2%... And on double workout days I push upwards of 64-70%. In my mind it makes more ketones easily accessable to power me through whatever energy needs my body has. I know prior to me doing that I was finding myself a little sluggish... specially trying to get through the Leg day workout.

Making that adjustment was fairly easy... I just add an 10 extra grams of Coconut Fat to my morning coffee, throw in a extra chunk of cheese in my lunch and maybe double up on my serving of Macadamia/Pecans and Brazil nuts. 👍

• Poobah1972
    edited July 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    Hi. I have been doing keto since Feb and am going to start IF 16:8 this week. I am slowly eating later each day. I am also going to cut back on the fat I eat. I am losing but still have a lot of abdominal fat. I do have diabetes and my glucose is much better.

Interestingly I have found that upping not only my calorie intake, but more so my fat content on double workout days to be critical in providing me energy to last the entire day and workout. So on a cardio only day I may range around 60% fat calories +/- 2%... And on double workout days I push upwards of 64-70%. In my mind it makes more ketones easily accessable to power me through whatever energy needs my body has. I know prior to me doing that I was finding myself a little sluggish... specially trying to get through the Leg day workout.

Making that adjustment was fairly easy... I just add an 10 extra grams of Coconut Fat to my morning coffee, throw in a extra chunk of cheese in my lunch and maybe double up on my serving of Macadamia/Pecans and Brazil nuts. 👍

Random unsolicited advice: Don't overdo the brazil nuts. They actually contain so much selenium that one can easily exceed the warning levels for regular consumption. An ounce of them, 6-8 nuts, contains about 544 mcg of selenium, almost 10 times the adult RDA of 55mcg. USDA says the tolerable upper limit (for regular consumption) is 400mcg for adults, so somewhere around 5 nuts daily.

I love the little suckers, but I moderate them, personally. There aren't many common foods I know of that are risky in small but regular portions. These delicious little nuggets seem to be one. 🤷‍♀️

Source: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-HealthProfessional/

I appreciate the advice... 1 serving is 21 grams (or about 150 calories) or a combination of all 3 nuts and At most on occasion i might have 42 grams. So I'm probably fine, I'm lucky if I get 2 whole Brazil nuts in each batch. lol But that is very interesting, I certainly had no idea.
  • MerryFit519
    MerryFit519 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this post, and sooo happy for both of your successes so far! (almost gave up on MFP forums due to the negativity towards IF patterns)

No two people are identical...and everyone needs to find what works for them in addition to "cico" like...which calories in..and when? (simply counting/weighing foods makes me hyper-obsessed with foods and hate the process)

I personally looove IF (I do 4:3, and consume calories all days on a 16:8 schedule) I started doing plain ol' keto...which I loved and lost with!! but...my system didn't love it so much lol (bad constipation which I couldn't fix..started before keto but got worse) So..I added in big doses of fiber foods, tweaked to the IF timing and..I'm on track, happy, energetic, working out, sleeping well, and....losing ahead of the trend line. :) (34 pounds down in just shy of 3 months..goal in sight!)

In reading through this post's history..one benefit (to anyone) that IF has had (for long-term success) is that my overall hunger is down...a lot. Once I adjusted to the schedule I found that times not eating were no big deal. In addition, when it is time to eat...I don't want to consume very much! My biggest issue these days is eating enough on my 'feast' days! lol. I also agree with your assessment that 'fast' days rock...being un-tethered from the kitchen and very busy just....work. It is so easy and feels soooo good. Food is not in control! :)

Anyway...just throwing out a huge high-five to you and your fiancee! Loved reading about your journey and huge congrats on your success thus far!

• MerryFit519
    MerryFit519 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I'm so glad I found this post, and sooo happy for both of your successes so far! (almost gave up on MFP forums due to the negativity towards IF patterns)

No two people are identical...and everyone needs to find what works for them in addition to "cico" like...which calories in..and when? (simply counting/weighing foods makes me hyper-obsessed with foods and hate the process)

I personally looove IF (I do 4:3, and consume calories all days on a 16:8 schedule) I started doing plain ol' keto...which I loved and lost with!! but...my system didn't love it so much lol (bad constipation which I couldn't fix..started before keto but got worse) So..I added in big doses of fiber foods, tweaked to the IF timing and..I'm on track, happy, energetic, working out, sleeping well, and....losing ahead of the trend line. :) (34 pounds down in just shy of 3 months..goal in sight!)

In reading through this post's history..one benefit (to anyone) that IF has had (for long-term success) is that my overall hunger is down...a lot. Once I adjusted to the schedule I found that times not eating were no big deal. In addition, when it is time to eat...I don't want to consume very much! My biggest issue these days is eating enough on my 'feast' days! lol. I also agree with your assessment that 'fast' days rock...being un-tethered from the kitchen and very busy just....work. It is so easy and feels soooo good. Food is not in control! :)

Anyway...just throwing out a huge high-five to you and your fiancee! Loved reading about your journey and huge congrats on your success thus far!

Congrats on finding a diet that you could like. Personally, I do not do well with IF. I find it just makes me hungrier when it is time to eat. Which is why I never do it anymore. I would end up just adding more calories dear my feeding window and end up overeating.

Totally understood and I hear you. That's the thing...what works for one won't necessarily work for another! :) I can't do simple counting/weighing (makes me hate food and hate the process) and IF works great. For you...IF caused overeating so it didn't work! Thankfully...there's so many ways to tackle better/healthier/goal-oriented plans. I hope you're settled in one that DOES make you happy, satisfied, and successful :)
  • Poobah1972
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yup; the Brazil nut got me nutty when I started on the nuts 🥺

I tend to go by him; but I regularly get called other things, including late to dinner!😹

I'm glad you're taking care of the knees, the forces applied make them vulnerable and you want them in shape for later!

It impresses me how strong you are currently. A gentle reminder: push without pushing too far. You've got the endorphins and the strength from carrying less weight; but I hope you realize that even consistent moderate training improves fitness without having to *always* push into the red zone.

In my opinion intensity plays a role (many will argue that it doesn't) but most of your net burn _above the calories you burn by existing_ comes from moving 3xx lbs up that hill for y amount of miles regardless of how quickly you complete the task.

Sure, per minute you will burn more or less calories; but overall you going up or down the hill 5 times is you going up or down the hill 5 times in net calories above the ones you burn by existing even if it takes an hour more or less to accomplish the task (slower looks more impressive of a burn too, even if the net burn is the same 🤣).

Reason I say this is long term sustainability of effort. Push... without over pushing!!!

Get some good form reviews from competent trainers... and soon you could be preparing to hit the powerlifting circuits 😜

(There's a few threads around by trainers who offer video form reviews of lifts/squats)

And ... Don't use me as a heavy bag😰😇

I get the message and it's something I've thought about at times.. But I think I like the intensity. The endorphins very much have an effect. Usually when walking for instance, the first lap specially the first half a lap I'm moving sort of slow... Things hurt.. But sure enough before I know it that pain kind of disappears, you heart is pumping. The endorphins come, and I seem to like sweating profusely. The sweaty I am at the end the better i feel? lol

So far so good, and I will keep in mind that I don't always have to push to the limits.. (even though I'm sure I can push to the 170's but that's just not fun. lol)

I appreciate your thoughts, and thank you for making me feel strong. lol
  • Poobah1972
    edited July 2021
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Hi, dear
    Poobah1972 I see first time on FP somebody advocated keto, fasting and low cal way of living. My way is very long more than 50 years. I was ballet dancer at that time and it was accustomed in the ballet culture to eat in deficit, low carb and fasting for 24-36-48 hrs. Still these days, ask any dancer, they would tell you that they eat in the style to decrease weight or keep it as low as possible. My life is a real long term well documented experiment of this way of living. Currently I fast 42 hrs every Monday, 70 hrs once a month, eat dirty keto and low carb diet. Very low calories, by nutritionists consensus. My hair is not fallen , my bones are strong as 25 y/o girl.according to DEXA scan. I did not have any caries in mu teeths for 45 years All systems of the body function normal, even though I m 67 y/o
    I m stronger than many women in our gym, muscles are shown well through skin and well defined, like body builders. Even so I never go for very heavy lifting, but my muscles just grow without huge amount of food.
    On your place I would not take seriously those haters of fast and keto. These people just like bread too much and don' t want to give up on it. Bread and carbs are very addictive: people can 't admit that they addicts.
    You own success story so far is good example of correct way of eating and life style preferences. From first hands I tell you , it is easy to live this way , no needs to consume a lot of carbs, evolutionary, we are more carnivores. Eating carbs it is just way how to survive when out hunters come back empty handed. Good luck to you and your fife

I read your post earlier today and was determined to thank you for taking the time to respond to me. You seem very sincere, and I enjoyed reading your post. I do agree with you in many aspects. We all learned to be the people we are, doing the things we do, and accepting and believing the things we were taught to accept or believe. A lot of close minded views around here to certain ways of doing things, but there is also a lot of good people with the ability to see there is many good ways to move forward with a heathy life and lifestyle. I'm glad you enjoy this particular lifestyle, and I can assure you myself and my fiancé are very much also enjoying it.

I'm sort of shocked to see that you have 9 disagrees so soon? But I guess I shouldn't be. I posted a lot when I started here, but I quickly found out that mentions of IF, fasting or even Keto/Low carb would immediatley cause more then a few people to start mashing the Disagree button? It just is what it is. I pretty much found a happy place on the news feed with like minded individuals, and I've pretty much stopped posting on the forums as a result. We all do what makes us happy in the end? (and unhappy... lol) Oh it's all an Enigma of course.
  • Poobah1972
    edited July 2021
    Options

I'm glad you found it and enjoyed it for what it has to offer. It takes all sorts to make the world go round don't it? Thank you from me and my fiancé! :)

And yeah the reduced hunger continues to be real.. Even now when I decide were going to have a celebration feast I still fall well within my normal calorie restriction. I could not imagine eating a 1 pound steak anymore... 6 ounces is more then enough and super satifying.. Heck I once ate a 32 ounce steak? How the heck did I do that? lol

And congratulations to you for all your success so far. :smiley:
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Human history is much longer than you can imaging. Thousands years of evolution is definitely not correct, We talking millions years of evolution. All this amazingly long historical stretch humans did not touch even one piece of bread, one piece of sugar. What prehistoric man could find in nature is only, plants parts . like tubers, leaves, stems, very small fruits, berries. With such a little nutritious values of these parts of veggies, sure thing he turned to the meat of animals, where whole spectrum of nutrients and calories present in full.

Some people miss the point: not all carbs created equal. If they say carbs , they mean bread, for some reason. Let distinguish once and forever carbs are not only bread. Carbs are million of plants and their parts. They are not addictive, hard to eat 1 lb of kale or spinach, but it is easy to eat 1lb sandwich for some people. Bread looks good, smells good and taste very good. Such heard to resist fresh bread.