Coronavirus prep

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Our numbers are low but are they really, if people aren't getting tested the way they were?

Hard not to get "political". I think we've heard me rant about a certain province and about the "feeling" that once we've been vaccinated we're good to go hug everyone without masks or restrictions and no matter what.

Up to now I haven't encouraged my dad to move out of "that" province because a) he has built his life and support network there and because b) I've felt that him moving to a congregate facility currently represents a risk that he can/could still afford to avoid by remaining home alone c) I was hoping that things would improve so that he could move to an independent living facility near his current location so as to retain contact with people he knows

With the decision to hide our head in the sand and avoid further testing (as of the end of August testing in Alberta will only be available when your doctor feels that testing you for COVID is relevant in terms of providing care to you), and with the general anti-masking attitude in the province (here's looking at you Superstore employees not wearing masks... oh, sorry, I'm not looking, because I'm shopping at Walmart where they do wear them)... anyway, I am seriously considering whether it is time to start arguing for him to move to an independent living facility in another province where we still consider masking indoors to be appropriate and closer to where I live.

Throughout all of this I have been incredibly thankful that my frail, mobility-impaired 82 year old father has continued to live independently in his own home, even though it has meant an extra house for me to maintain. At least he's been safe.

I don't know if you have Chartwell homes there, or if his budget can accommodate the price tag, but they fared very well locally. Not a single outbreak.

You heard a lot about how bad the homes were - but my mom lives in a Chartwell retirement home that had an "outbreak" in Dec/Jan before they were vaccinated. Three people tested positive, all staff, not one resident got infected. (But yeah it costs me almost $5000 a month.)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,531 Member
    Looking into Chartwell, thank you for the tip.

There are several in a circle around my home location and also some in Edmonton and Calgary but none in a three hour radius from dad's current location...

I don't believe any of the three we checked out near dad actually got outbreaks; but they were extensively locked down with visitors banned.

I know that near home at least three of the places we looked at and were considering had outbreaks and at least one death each.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I'm probably not making myself very clear - I am not advocating for a free for all where sick people go out and spread it around - I think it is prudent for anyone with respiratory symptoms to stay home/mask until they are symptom free. I don't think that Covid testing vaccinated people is necessary for that to happen.
    I think that the messaging around the vaccine has been really, really bad. From the beginning telling people that even when they have the vaccine they still have to take every precaution they took prior to the vaccine isn't super convincing for vaccine hesitant people to get it. And all the hand wringing and drama over "breakthrough cases" which are either asymptomatic or mild, is just reinforcing hesitancy.
    It needs to be emphasized that the vaccine was never meant to create sterilizing immunity, that mild "breakthrough cases" are expected and normal - not that they are a huge deal and/or a failure of the vaccine. Getting a bad cold from the Covid virus is a vaccine success story - it means that the vaccine is doing what it was intended to do. And that messaging isn't getting out enough imo.

Yes, I think those are good points, and I share your frustration about the messaging.