Show us your favorite art

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    litha_ wrote: »

Batumi!!!!! What a beautiful city and the food was amazing. (All of Georgia had outstanding food!!!) The food market there was sensory overload.

Our first experience with a pickpocket was under this statue. She was about nine. I literally had to pull her off my husband.

Border control gave us some problems continuing on to Ukraine, til someone noticed Georgia (USA) on our passports and then they couldn’t do enough for us. Lovely people.

Georgia was my favorite travel experience ever. I will definitely go back when travel is available again, if only to stuff my face with bread and cheese.

Georgians will literally give you the shirt off their backs. They are the kindest, most generous people I’ve ever met. Will ply you with food and drink til you can’t stand up and then give you some more.

A personal favorite piece of art from my own collection:
    jfafr6dz67mc.jpeg

This is needle felted by an artist in Mestia. Mestia is famous for its many Svaneti (sp?) towers. As a dangerous border area in the Caucasus Mountains, families could retreat to their stone towers and pull up the ladders til danger had passed. It was sobering to think that our hosts had a tower over a thousand years old in their pasture and didn’t think anything about it.

The picture is the mountains, pink in the sun, with a tower and stone house.

Oh, @litha_ you made my day today!!!!!😘

I gotta get out of this house soon!!!!!!!
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,041 Member

Batumi!!!!! What a beautiful city and the food was amazing. (All of Georgia had outstanding food!!!) The food market there was sensory overload.

Our first experience with a pickpocket was under this statue. She was about nine. I literally had to pull her off my husband.

Border control gave us some problems continuing on to Ukraine, til someone noticed Georgia (USA) on our passports and then they couldn’t do enough for us. Lovely people.

Georgia was my favorite travel experience ever. I will definitely go back when travel is available again, if only to stuff my face with bread and cheese.

Georgians will literally give you the shirt off their backs. They are the kindest, most generous people I’ve ever met. Will ply you with food and drink til you can’t stand up and then give you some more.

A personal favorite piece of art from my own collection:

This is needle felted by an artist in Mestia. Mestia is famous for its many Svaneti (sp?) towers. As a dangerous border area in the Caucasus Mountains, families could retreat to their stone towers and pull up the ladders til danger had passed. It was sobering to think that our hosts had a tower over a thousand years old in their pasture and didn’t think anything about it.

The picture is the mountains, pink in the sun, with a tower and stone house.

Oh, litha_ you made my day today!!!!!😘

I gotta get out of this house soon!!!!!!!

@springlering62 - ☺️ I’m so glad you liked it. I bet it was nice to see in person. I saw some videos of the sculpture at night changing colors and it looked otherworldly. I like in the video I shared how there is the shooting star or sky writer in the background. (Maybe photoshopped, idk)

Your story of the pickpocket reminded me of an experience I had abroad as well. 🤨

Thank you for sharing art from your personal collection. It is beautiful and I really like the “painterly style” to the artwork. I looked up Svaneti because I couldn’t remember hearing that term before. Really interesting background. It sounds like you had an amazing adventure and you have piqued my interest to learn more. If interested the artist Tamara Kvestitadze has a sculpture called rotation. I will link the video, it is near the beginning and the movement in the sculpture is pretty cool. Hope you’re able to get out of the house and enjoy the day. 🙂

https://youtu.be/hJlOpGYVqoQ

• springlering62
    @litha_ are you familiar with The Kelpies?

• debq3
    debq3 Posts: 42 Member
    My favorite Art is my own Hand embroidery I started embroidering as a teenager then put it aside for quite a few years, I picked it back up in 2014 and stitch just about everyday. This is one of my Greenwoman pieces447frhrd2z7f.jpg
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    il_570xN.528973982_5w6j.jpg
  • springlering62
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    il_570xN.528973982_5w6j.jpg

Long haired dachshund. He’s playing for snacks, not cash.
  • litha_
    litha_ Posts: 2,041 Member

@springlering62 - Yes. Scotland is a place I’d like to visit one day, maybe have a canal boat trip and see this sculpture in person. At night seems like it would be more interesting. Have you seen it in person?
  • springlering62
    litha_ wrote: »

@springlering62 - Yes. Scotland is a place I’d like to visit one day, maybe have a canal boat trip and see this sculpture in person. At night seems like it would be more interesting. Have you seen it in person?

We saw it three years ago, and loved it. We thought it was epic. We timed it so we could see it in the sunshine, and then waited til twilight to see it change colors from the lights inside.

I thought the PR video was silly. Enough of the spouting flames. Show it slowly (and mesmerizingly) changing colors!

If you like odd, massive sculptures, there’s a famous one just up the road from me called Stone Mountain. Borglum, the same guy who later did Mount Rushmore, created it. Sadly, it’s a Confederate Memorial, so no idea what will happen to it. But as a sculpture, it is a colossal achievement - 3 acres in size, and larger than Rushmore. I think I remember as a kid hearing that several people could sit inside the ears.

fb6pv3owksyo.jpeg
  • springlering62
    edited August 2021

I like and enjoy all kinds of art, epic sculpture, urban street art, unique guerilla yarnbombs, fine arts, outsider art environments. If it invokes awe, questions, humor or humblest admiration, it interests me.

My daughter is a professional chalk artist. She spends days doing an elaborate, gorgeous piece, only to have cars drive on it or the fire department hose it off. I was horrified til she explained that it’s the ephemerality that appeals to her.

I read something the other day that one of the chalk pieces on the downs in southern England- the particularly well endowed male figure- is now tentatively being rethought as a medieval practical joke. I could totally see that. It reminds me of the time a bunch of male friends spent an hour in a stadium flipping seats so that when the crowd arrived for the event, they were greeted by the word BALLS in giant letters on the other side of the stadium.

4jabb8m40srp.jpeg
    This one only took her a couple of hours.

[edited by MFP staff]
  • etduBlikedat
    etduBlikedat Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2021
    That's her work? 😮

So realistic 😀

[edited by MFP staff]
  • honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,253 Member
    io4yeqdx4aef.jpeg

Ophelia
    Alexandre Cabanel