Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats Skip! That is awesome!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I was supposed to do 7 miles today but was only able to get in 6. Stupid job interfering with my training! 🤣

57/192

Priorities....
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Monthly question…

1) How do you find motivation and discipline? What is your reward?

2) How do you manage stress? How does your body react to stress?

(My psychologist wants to know, LOL! I need a good answer for next appt. 🤣)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Skip said thank you so much, I know if I try to mention names I'll miss someone. B)

Monthly question…

The answers to motivation and reward are the same, I just feel better when I run. Discipline, just make myself go for so many days and then it becomes second nature to go.

I cry, wipe my eyes and move on.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited August 2021
    Options
    As for how my body reacts to stress, outside of the normal effects, I can't say it has made any long term impacts. I am probably lucky that way.
    Actually, I suppose I only ever really got into running as a way to relieve stress (was a nice side effect). So maybe it has had some physical impacts.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I guess I never answered about "what is my reward".

I honestly just want to get my goals accomplished. That's all the reward I want. I try not to allow other "rewards" to interfere as the last thing I need is some Pavlovian distraction. 🤤 A good example for me is some sort of "reward food treat". Food and I have a bad history. I am an all or nothing kind of person, so I let the goals be the reward and it works for me. Some folks need some reward, I suppose as long as that doesn't affect their lives negatively then more power to them for that! :)
  • DuchessDiona
    DuchessDiona Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »
    Monthly question…

(My psychologist wants to know, LOL! I need a good answer for next appt. 🤣)

1) "My Whys" keep me going. It is always important to establish why I am pursuing an activity or course of action. That foundation keeps going no matter what.

2) I take "mental health hour/day" to regroup and start fresh. Music and running are my quick go to as well. I may break out during a stressful period but that is normally it.

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention I'm a Hot Chocolate 5k/15k race ambassador this year! If you live in or near a city that hotst the race you can get a free buff with my code JENNAHC21. If you are in the US and not near a race city or not ready for in person there's also a virtual option. Here's the website https://hotchocolate15k.com/ (no pressure to sign up, just sharing in case anyone is interested! I love this race and the swag!)

Another 5 miles today. Looking forward to rest day tomorrow 🤣

25/192

Working my way through all the post I have missed and saw this from @RunsOnEspresso and had to comment. I didn't look to see what the swag is this year but in the past they have had the best jackets/hoodies. I have at least 3 different ones and love them all.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Oh, I forgot to mention I'm a Hot Chocolate 5k/15k race ambassador this year! If you live in or near a city that hotst the race you can get a free buff with my code JENNAHC21. If you are in the US and not near a race city or not ready for in person there's also a virtual option. Here's the website https://hotchocolate15k.com/ (no pressure to sign up, just sharing in case anyone is interested! I love this race and the swag!)

Another 5 miles today. Looking forward to rest day tomorrow 🤣

25/192

Working my way through all the post I have missed and saw this from @RunsOnEspresso and had to comment. I didn't look to see what the swag is this year but in the past they have had the best jackets/hoodies. I have at least 3 different ones and love them all.

This year looks like a thin puffy jacket. I really like how it looks. Oh and chocolate 🍫 😋
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job on your race @teresa502!

Congrats to Skip on her excellent first tri @skippygirlsmom

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    08/01/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    08/02/21 :::: 3.0 :::: 3.0
    08/03/21 :::: 1.8 :::: 4.8
    08/04/21 :::: 5.5 :::: 10.3
    08/05/21 :::: 3.1 :::: 13.4
    08/06/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.4
    08/07/21 :::: 5.0 :::: 18.4
    08/08/21 :::: 0.0 :::: 18.4
    08/09/21 :::: 2.6 :::: 20.9

Well, no run on Sunday so the weekend was not a good one for running. And today I ran after work and before strength training. It was 90 degrees out and the canal trail was full sun, so this was not the best idea. I went into the gym just soaking wet with sweat for my training class. I changed shirts but it was not long before the second shirt was the same. It was hot inside the gym as well. I think I lost a few pounds sweating tonight.

I will come back for the monthly questions - running motivation is lacking and stress is high right now so these are apropos. I'm not sure I have good answers though.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,073 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    @Tramboman I just looked it up on YouTube. Don't really recall it. Weird. I usually remember songs when I don't remember anything else. LOL

@kgirlhart Funny about the dogs. I'm glad they were friendly to everyone. It looks like you wore them out. I love seeing Sunny too. You have very interesting runs. Great job today.

@rheddmobile Sounds like you figured out a way to keep from getting dehydrated, but you do need to take care in that heat! Glad you are able to get in some longer runs. It's nice when strangers give you encouragement.

Way to hang in there and get it done @Scott6255 !

Nice running @Teresa502 !

@skippygirlsmom Congrats to Skip on a great Tri! Glad she enjoyed it.

@katharmonic Way to get a run in in those conditions.