Coronavirus prep

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    moving on from the party thread, it seems like this virus really duped us all as far as another wave. I think many of us made a lot of plans for travel and visits back in May and June when it looked like we just about had it stomped out. I know my workplace had everyone return mid June.

And now everyone is following those plans and it appears that some of the less recent vaxxed folks might be more susceptable. And delta is even more contagious than other earlier variants.

To me just watching the rate of vaccinations it appears that when the J&J had it's stumble here in the US that was the beginning of the end. I wish the FDA would get full approval for the Pfizer and Moderna done so that there would be more confidence in them in general.

Not sure why this got a disagree. I for one agree that it is a really difficult environment for planning. Back in May, close family friends planned a wedding for this weekend. :# We were all so optimistic then. I agree with you on the difficulty scheduling travel, also. I'm wondering if variants are going to be a fact of life, and we will continue having transmission peaks with the latest variant interspersed with valleys of lower transmission rates. There are layers of protection (vaccination + masks + limiting indoor contacts ++) that could stop the spread, but they are not happening everywhere.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Considering that everyone at that party probably gets a Covid test every 12 seconds, the risk isn’t huge. Also, as mentioned above, outdoor party.

I read that attendees had to show a negative covid test or proof of vaccination. Originally was for around 500 people and "scaled" back to just family and friends. Not numbers given.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/02/politics/obama-birthday-bash-marthas-vineyard/index.html
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    moving on from the party thread, it seems like this virus really duped us all as far as another wave. I think many of us made a lot of plans for travel and visits back in May and June when it looked like we just about had it stomped out. I know my workplace had everyone return mid June.

And now everyone is following those plans and it appears that some of the less recent vaxxed folks might be more susceptable. And delta is even more contagious than other earlier variants.

To me just watching the rate of vaccinations it appears that when the J&J had it's stumble here in the US that was the beginning of the end. I wish the FDA would get full approval for the Pfizer and Moderna done so that there would be more confidence in them in general.

I read the Pfizer's vaxx may get full approval soon, but Moderna has not presented all the safety reports to the FDA yet, so it will take time for that vaccine to get full approval. Hopefully since Pfizer already paved the road, it wouldn't take too long.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/09/health/covid-19-fda-approval-meaning/index.html
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    On the subject of less recently vaxxed folks, my mother keeps bothering me to get her an appointment for a booster shot. I tell her that isn’t a thing yet, and she can’t get it through her head, and ten minutes later tells me to make an appointment with her doctor to discuss getting her a booster shot. It’s because her news feed is full of discussion of people needing booster shots, she just can’t wrap her head around the fact that it’s not happening.

You might want to think about calling her doctor to discuss the recurring memory lapses?

Oh, we’re well past that. She requires a full time caretaker these days. Guess who?

Oh, I'm so sorry.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    My emloyer still requires masks for everyone and never stopped requiring them (corporate decision). Recently, they said they would drop the mask requirements if 80% of employees at a location are known to be vaccinated. Then they pulled that the very next day. Meanwhile, my location polled employees anyway and found that only 20% will say we are vaccinated. Most of the remaining 80% don't want a vaccine. They clearly do not understand the data.

In the spirit of Jonathan Swift's "Modest Proposal": Perhaps refusal of vaccination (absent a legitimate medical justification) ought to be grounds for firing in any job that requires knowledge of science or statistics for adequate job performance.

This is a manufacturing plant and most jobs require no education, maybe a high school degree or GED is on job description.