60 yrs and up

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    My dad had a AAA repair when he was in his late 70s. He recovered fully. I think the surgery would be better in your 60s though
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    @AnnPT77 is such an inspiration. Not just for her physical achievements but that she logs every day and so graciously shares her experiences. We ALL could do that. My thing is hiking. My legs told me not doing much for weeks then going on a steep 8 mile hike was not a good idea. So this weekend I'm going to haul my sorry self up 5 miles to a place called...The Hike Inn. The next day hike to Springer Mountain (the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail and back to the Hike Inn. The last 5 miles are downhill. Piece of cake. HaHa! I'll recover next week.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Drive-by check-in. Met with the oncologist yesterday. Wife's blood chemistry is good/normal now, but she is not fighting to get stronger. She said to the doctor, "This old gal is wearing out." I'm concerned that she is just going to give up. She is not doing the needed physical therapy. She's not long for this earth if she doesn't improve her general physical condition. 😟

Regardless, trying to take care of myself, too. Still walking with the dog. Two gym workouts this week. Keeping the diet under control and not drinking too much.

Appreciate all the kind words, everyone. Thank you.

Good to hear from you, Steve! I empathize with your situation, and your wife's. I don't want to intrude, but have they suggested any medication or other types of intervention on the more psychological side of things? A certain amount of depression or anxiety comes with the cancer diagnosis, of course. Some of that is for obvious reasons, but there's also some speculation that mood/attitude may be affected at the biochemical level during the cancer experience as well. Good nutrition is a plus on that side of things, for sure, if you/she can get her there, but other things can be useful. I'm far from the only person I know who used some medication during treatment to help with that sort of thing, though it hasn't been common in my life under other conditions.

On another front, personally, I found professional massage very helpful physically, and that has the plus of being enjoyable and basically passive. There can be some limitations on the modality during treatment, but a good MT can work within the guidance doctors offer. I don't know whether that would appeal to her, be affordable as a complementary therapy - just a thought.

Sounds like you're doing good things for yourself, still, and that'll be good for her as well (to see, and of course for you to keep your own tank a little more topped up as a caregiver).

Sending strength and well-wishes to you both!
  • healhierhappiness
    healhierhappiness Posts: 101 Member
    alteredsteve175 wrote: »
    Drive-by check-in. Met with the oncologist yesterday. Wife's blood chemistry is good/normal now, but she is not fighting to get stronger. She said to the doctor, "This old gal is wearing out." I'm concerned that she is just going to give up. She is not doing the needed physical therapy. She's not long for this earth if she doesn't improve her general physical condition. 😟

Regardless, trying to take care of myself, too. Still walking with the dog. Two gym workouts this week. Keeping the diet under control and not drinking too much.

Appreciate all the kind words, everyone. Thank you.

I too empathize with your situation, and your wife's. She sounds tired and just wants to kick back and take a break. Maybe in a little bit of time say a couple of weeks she will get some wind under her sails and feel more like doing more perhaps. I hope she will and I will say a prayer for her and your health also. It is the caregiver who puts in a lot of hours and time so you too need that much needed break. Maybe a family member could give you a weekend off?? I get it I really do, Ive been there( 26 yrs cancer survivor) and my husband has been there in your shoes. Its not easy but maybe things will turn around for her. God Bless
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Ann
    That is the same surgery I had and it got better daily. I did have to have follow up injections because I developed macular swelling but they were no big deal. Take it easy and keeps us posted.
    Steve, so sorry to hear your wife is struggling with the emotional aspect of what she is going through. Prayers are with you.
    For all of you going through life's struggle know you are not alone and stay strong.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Ann
    That is the same surgery I had and it got better daily. I did have to have follow up injections because I developed macular swelling but they were no big deal. Take it easy and keeps us posted.
    Steve, so sorry to hear your wife is struggling with the emotional aspect of what she is going through. Prayers are with you.
    For all of you going through life's struggle know you are not alone and stay strong.

My husband has had to have those eye shots. Or similar. For diabetic retinopathy.

He hated the very idea of it. But when there was no other choice but to let him lose that eye, we bribed him with a six pack of his favorite beer.

It took three shots, but they worked.
  • MobiusRift
    MobiusRift Posts: 18 Member
    I'll come back in 5 years :smiley:
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,241 Member
    Hi all back after my holiday so now I need to get back on track! Have a great day everyone.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Ann

Thank you for that encouragement, via your experience. It was painful the first night, but has been settling down. It's still swollen, not too uncomfortable unless I move my eyes more extremely . . . but I look like someone smacked me in the eye! (Not going to share a photo. 🤣) They put a protective long-wear contact lens on it at the doctor's office, because there was a slight corneal scratch, to protect it. They'll take that out at Tuesday follow-up. So, just the 2 kinds of drops 4x a day, and no vigorous activity (that's the hard part!). Thanks for the good wishes: I think they're helping. 😊
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    the thing about being injured/sick/having surgery when you are older is it is always tough to decide - do I cut calories because I am less active or do I continue with normal levels because my body needs the extra to heal.

What I found when I had the flu a few years back that an indication of how to answer the question above - partially - was my resting heart rate. With the flu mine jumped up almost 10 points which indicated my body was fighting off a virus and needed at a min normal cals to help.

What I found with injury was that my heart rate was not really any higher and since my activity was less I did need to make sure I was not eating at the active level.

Of course everyone has to reach their own way on this but I never know (over 60) what is going to be something more serious or just a small glitch for a day ... it's frustrating. I seriously wish I had appreciated the lack of aches and pains when I was younger.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited August 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    After all of you-alls nice comments about my exercise schedule - thank you! - I'm on injured (recovering?) reserve right now, after yesterday's eye surgery. (It was a pars plana vitrectomy/membrane peel, in case there are any ocular tech-heads reading. 😉) The surgery itself went well, and the report from today's post-op doctor visit was also optimistic. I got to take off the eye bandage (need to put it back at night), and was relieved to see full-field vision. It's pretty sore and scratchy feeling, and things are still blurry, still around 20/150 in that eye (sigh!), but the hope is that as swelling goes down and the tissues relax, there'll be vision improvement. 🤞

I admit to feeling grumpy about having to take what looks like it will be 2-3 weeks off, other than walking, right during the thick of rowing/biking season . . . but that's how it is, sometimes.

A note about exercise: I'm pretty active now, but was extremely sedentary - not routinely active - until my mid-40s. After the full 9 yards of cancer treatment (which itself followed not all that long after losing my husband to a different cancer), I was pretty physically depleted, and it sunk in that if I ever wanted to feel good and strong and happy again, I was going to have to really *work* at it.

By that point, I already had some limitations (OA in various spots at least, and probably already at least one torn knee meniscus, though the latter wasn't formally diagnosed until later). I started really gradually, with some yoga classes, and just gradually kept increasing the challenge over a couple of years, until finding on-water rowing as part of a breast cancer survivors team. Rowing, to me, was addictively fun. It was a "gateway drug". I did other kinds of exercise for cross-training (Richard Simmons videos, weight lifting. . .), took adult swimming lessons (because we fall out of these skinny boats sometimes!), and more.

There have been issues along the way (such as tendinitis in my arm, back issues, nerve impingement in a shoulder, . . .), but with good doctors and physical therapists, I've been lucky to have mostly resolved those as acute challenges. In general, the stronger/fitter I get, the fewer problems I have physically, as long as I manage the mix of activities, intensity, and needed recovery in a thoughtful way.

With retirement, and maybe even more so now in the pandemic, it's been fun and easy to add some more exercise volume. Pre-pandemic, I'd pretty much been in a schedule of spin classes twice a week, lots of on-water rowing in summer, a little machine rowing in winter, with some other random things thrown in. During the pandemic, I stopped going to spin classes (my Y was closed for quite a while, at first), but after a while began adding other things, and filling up time with fun stuff that way, especially during good weather. Social events were pretty much nil, so this was an enjoyable distraction. So, here I am now, pretty active . . .

. . . when not in my 2-3 week post-surgical hiatus. I can still walk, so I'll be taking some walks starting in the next few days, when the discomfort and light sensitivity declines a bit more.

I completely get that it's hard to get started with any kind of exercise program, because I've been there, as an obese adult, before that "stage III breast cancer" slap in the noggin. What isn't as obvious, I think, are two things: (1) How big the rewards are (yes, we know they're big in theory, but there's more good stuff to it in practice, I swear), and (2) how much one can really accomplish at most any age by gradual but persistent progress. If you'd told 45-year-old me what 65-year-old me's life would be like, there is no way that young'un would have believed you. And that, just from persistently shopping around for more active things that might be fun! (Ach, I tried so many different classes and things at first . . . !)

So: Hang in there. Good things can happen; gradual, manageable effort leads to surprising places over the long haul!

Ann, thanks for your fitness and exercise insights. Wishing you well on your recovery from eye surgery.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Drive by check in. Cutting the calories a bit - trying to eat more protein - and being diligent about logging everything. Got a little whoosh going on right now. I'll take it!

Hey Steve! Sounds like a plan!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited August 2021
    wyndyc wrote: »
    Hi,former SP. 70 yr old Canadian female recovering from stroke and starting to walk again with over 100 pounds to lose.

Welcome to MFP!
    There’s lots of former Spark People people here. Come join us!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/140805-spark-people-friends

And if you feel motivated, join this group also.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/141248-disability-fitness-and-weight-management-we-are-here-we-can-do-this

• klt052194
    klt052194 Posts: 53 Member
    My dad had a AAA repair when he was in his late 70s. He recovered fully. I think the surgery would be better in your 60s though

Thank you for the positive information. I appreciate your support!
  • svoelske
    svoelske Posts: 26 Member
    HI .. Im 63 (I think . Stopped counting in my mid 50s), retired, draw as my keep my hands busy activity .. I have some physical challenges, but trying to improve them ... one step at a time ... and Im finally tracking my food and trying to back up the ouchies clock ...
    I would love to join your group ... (if I can find it ... I seem to get myself lost here ..lol)

Im Sally ... from Wisconsin USA ... hope to meet y'all soon ...
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,241 Member
    svoelske wrote: »
    HI .. Im 63 (I think . Stopped counting in my mid 50s), retired, draw as my keep my hands busy activity .. I have some physical challenges, but trying to improve them ... one step at a time ... and Im finally tracking my food and trying to back up the ouchies clock ...
    I would love to join your group ... (if I can find it ... I seem to get myself lost here ..lol)

Im Sally ... from Wisconsin USA ... hope to meet y'all soon ...

You can add to groups or click on the small star at the top of the first page on here and when you go into community click on saved ie star and it will send you to this group.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Let's all kick off the week with positivity and have a productive week. My friend always tells me to " eat the elephant one bite at a time" which is good for many things that seem overwhelming like weight loss. Have a great week everyone. Welcome Sally to a group of encouraging friends.