WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Today (Monday) I stayed home from work. Sleep, general tidying, and colouring.

And the office project continues!

Today I hauled out another bin of university notes to my comfortable dining room arm chair. I'm going through them and putting most into the shred pile. When I finish a course, it takes a while for me to be able to look at the material again. I've been finished uni almost a year so I feel ready now.

I need to empty one of these bins because I have plans for it for something else: cycling equipment!

I also tossed a few other obvious things ... small empty boxes I don't need.

M in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🌞💛👋
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Did a good editing session today and managed to get my hair washed. I don't know how some of you manage to sit and stare at the computer for hours. After 90 mins my brain is fried! :p

After lunch we walked down to the paint shop and got some samples mixed to try out in the hall. The tins were quite large, so I hope we can use them sometime with the kids. Three to try. It was nice to stroll down there with DH and we stopped at a small supermarket on the way back to buy veg and bread. Picked up some dark chocolate on offer.

Now having afternoon break and then I will have to do 20 mins rowing. Not too awful. I have the last of my Netflix French series to watch. I will miss it. It’s 30 mins long,which is very good timing for my rowing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Health stuff
    I was able to get appointments with GP and Dermatologist for tomorrow, surprisingly.

I also sent a mail to the hospital, to the Onco- dermatology department to ask some questions. I don't know if they will answer or answer quickly. I asked (1) if they could give me the biopsy results (if all of the tumor has been totally removed or not, and any other pertinent information). I got the 1st biopsy on June 25th, "registered" (I think the results registered) June 30th, "validated" (double-checked) on July 9th and I was informed around July 15th, for operation Aug 4th. (so over a month!) They said they would take a month to get back to me this time again, but the news comes through the dermatologist's and she's going on vacation at the end of August, for 2 or 3 weeks, which would mean 6 of 7 weeks before getting news, at least. She doesn't have a replacement. That's fine if results are all fine, not so much if the results are not as it can grow quite quickly (and was- that was the thing, that made me see a dr. - I had this big weird, fast- growing multi-form "pimple", where one could see growth from one day to the next).

I hate having to google terms online but I don't see any other way to have a notion of what to ask or think about. They really don't give that much information. (What does "invasive" mean? What does this or that width and depth mean, relative to prognosis. What does "pushing" mean?) I found answers to all these questions but it took quite a bit of time.

As of latest info, it looks like anyone with this has 50% chance of getting more of them and if one gets more, 90% chance of getting yet more, and for each one it is by nature spreading and can go below the skin and through body if not cut off rather quickly.

Yet good overall prognosis, for 5 years at least on average.

It feels more serious than I thought, but I guess that is the nature of C. It know so many people who have had breast or other cancers and lived fine for a very very long time without incident, and seemed very normal. I guess part of it is learning not to freak out about the underlying risk. I never worried a gram about skin cancer, even though I had acquaintances 2 people who told me they had it (explaining injury on face (operation) or scar (past operation). I have used sunscreen quite a bit- not always - but always if out hiking or at seaside, etc at least since I was 35, and sometimes daily when out in the city, etc. Before 35 or so, I used to tan easily after a few hours here and there out in the sun in the summer, and didn't worry so much about it and i did indeed get naturally a bit of color (not dark tan, but a bit of color) just by being outside a few hours pretty quickly after 2 or 3 days of summery weather. It was considered a healthy look back then!!

I remember people being jealous of people who were more tan. This one girl in a larger circle of friends who was very tan in highschool, and got colore very fast, and people were envious of her tan. Sheesh! Do you remember that? I can't believe people still go to tanning centers! (but maybe some of you do?) I did meet young women on 2 occasions who were looking to tan. One, hiking about 5 years ago: We did a few days of hiking together in a group of 3. Two of us (me and a guy hiker) were always putting on sunscreen but she was happy to get her legs really, really tan, and get extra sun. And another at the beach a long time ago. she was asking why I was covering my legs and if I didn't want to get tan. I just didn't like being too hot I guess and so no need to be dark tan. I didn't really have an answer. I liked a light color but that was enough.

these stats found at https://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts/
    Indoor tanning use
    35% of American adults, 59% of college students and 17% of teens have reported using a tanning bed in their lifetime.
    Though the numbers have been decreasing in recent years, approximately 7.8 million adults in the US still engage in indoor tanning.
    Research indicates that more than half of indoor tanners (52.5%) start tanning before age 21, while nearly one-third (32.7%) start tanning before age 18.3

44.5% of those who started tanning before age 16 reported that they did so with a family member.3
    49.2% of those who started tanning with a family member did so with their mother.3
    Among high school students in the U.S., tanning has declined in recent years, but has not stopped entirely.4

In 2019, 8.4% of white female high school students have tanned indoors.5
    Melanoma is the second most common cancer in females age 15-29.2,5
    Since 2007, adult indoor tanning prevalence has significantly decreased in states that have enacted youth access legislation but has not significantly decreased over time in states with no age restrictions on indoor tanning use.7

Though indoor tanning in U.S. adults has declined in recent years, according to 2018 data, about a quarter of those who report any indoor tanning, tanned 25 times or more in one year.7

Have any of you had skin cancer? (I have squamous carcinoma). in Canada they say it's the most common cancer.

Wow I just saw this: 1 in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer by the age of 70.

More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year in the U.S. than all other cancers combined.

FOR VANITY
    People who use sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher daily show 24 percent less skin aging than those who do not use sunscreen daily.31
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    HEATHER which French series are you watching now?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    ………
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather – I spend time watching TV and knitting in the evening. In the daytime I like to be more active. Yoga is a blessing. I expect to do a bit of shopping on the way home from yoga today. DH needs sugar tabs and I’m planning to stop by Walgreens and get him some. They are lifesavers when he has a sugar low. :star:

Rori - I think of you often. I’m happy you have the companionship of Mars. Kitties and dogs can be excellent and loyal friends. :flowerforyou:

Lisa – Congrats on a good day. I hope you have MANY good days. :flowerforyou:

I spent hours last night knitting and watching TV. I have had to restart the baby blanket and now it seems to be going more smoothly. YES!!! I like critter shows including Zoos, & Veterinarian shows. I also enjoy hunting and fishing programs. Texas & Vermont game wardens are interesting.

Yoga today!!! YAY! I will be stopping by Walgreens on my way home to pick up glucose tabs for DH. He needs to be able to manage low blood sugars with the help of the glucose tabs.

Wishing everyone a good day!

Katla in NW Oregon

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Lisa!!

The week of treatment is rough, so I'm afraid I was quite out of it toward the end of last week and over the weekend. I was reading along on my phone, but not logged in, so couldn't comment. But it's Monday now, and while I still feel a little foggy, I am at work and trying to get something done.

Tapioca. I know I'm late, but I found this conversation so amazingly entertaining. So much, in fact, that I made a batch of tapioca in honor of the discussion. :love: We ate it often when I was a child, as a dessert, ahem, Rebecca, and when we were sick, as comfort food.

And, okay, it does kind of look like frog spawn and the texture is funky, but I still have warm feelings associated with it, and I have been enjoying it. Funny, no one else in my family is eating it. :lol:

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    ost9k4qwjqqm.jpg
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: fellowship prep, church, council meeting,
    Bonus: Bi-Mart, Freddie’s
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, minutes, flagger course progress, figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart,; Do Your Thing, practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    August
    11: Share an encouraging news story to inspire others: never know where to find such ;)
    15: No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too. Already have plans for today, will put this off to tomorrow which is wide open. ;)
    16: Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone: repot aloes for D and T? sweet spice maple pecans for T?

Oops, forgot to take BP before church, and was too lazy to check in mfp last night.

Today was my last in-person church until our county’s numbers settle down. :cry: New cases are ten times higher than at last year’s worst. Church will post governor’s mask mandate at the door and have a box of masks available at the entry. I have now eliminated all indoor activities except a once weekly grocery shopping trip, and am seriously contemplating switching to pickup. Feeling sad about this, and also about news about one member’s cognitive health and two other’s dissension. Went to bed early with an aspiring but resisted the red wine’s siren call.

Kylia I keep meaning to check out Clutterbug Cas. Her rules for purging are too draconian for me, but some of her organizing approaches make sense. Baskets and boxes would NOT work for me. I prefer more systematic storage… so of course there are piles of stuff around waiting for their proper place to be prepared… :laugh:
    Machka “…got distracted…ended up organizing [something else entirely.]” Yes! that’s exactly what happens to me when I declutter! And Yes! Still success, as it all needed doing, right? Prayers for your family and all affected by wildfire, including those suffering from the smoky poor air quality.
    Tracey “…getting time back which is just as valuable” It sure is! And the satisfaction of getting the system to work the way its supposed to. Bravissima! Prayers for your youngest.
    KJ I cannot believe it is legal, much less prudent, in any state for a 10 year old to use a chainsaw in tree service, even if it were considered agricultural “farm work.” Sure hope Tim’s source was mistaken. https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/whdfs40.pdf Hooray for feeling great after such unusual exertioni!
    Pip :loved: your “Stat for the day- Other, housecleaning, vacuum, rearranging clothes in drawers, laundry fold/put away, sweep patio, dust , 3hrs 13min 57sec= 893c” Could you stop by here on your way north? :laugh:
    Margaret I’m having trouble visualizing the special securing tape on gas pumps. Next time you top off your tank could you send a pic? We pumped our own gas forever, until moving here in 2017. Have to say I really appreciate the service when it’s raining and windy (hunh, raining? on the Oregon coast??? :laugh:).
    Carol if you could upload the video to YouTube, you could paste a link to it here, but you have to have a YouTube account (free.)
    Michele you could send little Susie Homemaker over here any time! :laugh:
    Rebecca sounds like you’re making sensible choices while enjoying precious family time. Well done!
    Julie SMH at the wait for biopsy results. Bound to increase anxiety. Sending healing thoughts and “get up off your butt and give her the results before you leave on vacation ” energy to your dermatologist.
    Allie and we are truly blessed to have you still with us. :heart:
    Welcome @Margie_11 ! Would you let us know what to call you and your general locale?
    Heather brava for the editing progress!
    Lisa ((hugs))
    Flea comfort food tapioca, yes! Funny your family isn’t eating it, more for you! Mama always made it for after dental or medical work and jello for before. Warm memories here too. Healing hugs sent your way.
    Katla think of all the love you’re crocheting into that blanket. That baby will be drenched in it.

Well, I managed to spend my alone-at-the-house time here instead of vacuuming, oops! ;) Time to be up and about.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: leaner/stronger/kinder than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 13, weigh/wii: 15/0/0; steps>6704=7177 vits=15, log=15, CI<CO=15, CI<250<CO=11, Tumble=8, Shadow=13, mfp=14, outside=18, up hill=16, clean 10=6.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD YH=1, Wed:TC=2, PW=2. Thurs: Fri:TC=2. Sat:PW=2. rX x4=2.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2!!! 8/1:141.3 8/8:140.4 8/15:141.5 :rage:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF:9 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Katla- I love all the critter shows and all but cant watch a single one , not even a commercial as my crazy spaz boy starts up a barking frenzy that would have the whole condo complex beating down my door,so have to watch those when he isnt around
  • snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Came home yesterday from a really great week with the snacker family at our favorite beach, Emerald Isle NC. The drive home was long, thanks to predictable traffic and my 80+ year old parents in the car who needed more frequent breaks. Regardless, it was worth it. I did enjoy indulging in snacks and cocktails, so today I am in detox mode, lol. School staff report to work a week from today so technically this is my week to stop procrastinating, and maybe get some stuff done, but IDK how motivated I am. I guess I can wait for a snow day.
    I try to keep up with all of you, know that I am sending support and strength when you need it.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Julie - I'm watching 'Family Business' on Netflix. I discovered I actually have one more left in the 2nd series. :D I've got the subtitles in French, which is much better, but most of the language is swearing or argot . :p>:) It is very funny. I spend the following hour swearing to myself in French. :laugh: Today I kept rowing past my allotted 20 mins (I had already been for a walk) because I was enjoying it so much.

DH had a go at cutting back our ENORMOUS bay tree. I, luckily, was asleep, so I wasn't around to see him up a step ladder welding long handled pruners. :#:# He couldn't reach the far side, so it is half scalped. ;)

I hope we will be able to try out our three shades of pink tomorrow. There are already two trial patches on the walls! Then we have got to decide what woodwork colours to use and where to keep the same shade. Aaarrrgggghhhh!

Love to all, may the hurting people find peace. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,533 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: fellowship prep, church, council meeting,
    Bonus: Bi-Mart, Freddie’s
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, minutes, flagger course progress, figure out how to see what’s using all our mobile data, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, call S, fire district: research NFPA, grant NIMS requirements, ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, likewise Lee skills/tasks, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, learn new dances (Tequila Little Time, Homesick, Nothing but You, A Little Less Broken, Blame it on my beating heart,; Do Your Thing, practice dances: One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat),); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove, ask Te about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this fall’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers and beit alpha cukes next year).
    August
    11: Share an encouraging news story to inspire others: never know where to find such ;)
    15: No plans day! Be kind to yourself so you can be kind to others too. Already have plans for today, will put this off to tomorrow which is wide open. ;)
    16: Make a thoughtful gift as a surprise for someone: repot aloes for D and T? sweet spice maple pecans for T?

Oops, forgot to take BP before church, and was too lazy to check in mfp last night.

Today was my last in-person church until our county’s numbers settle down. :cry: New cases are ten times higher than at last year’s worst. Church will post governor’s mask mandate at the door and have a box of masks available at the entry. I have now eliminated all indoor activities except a once weekly grocery shopping trip, and am seriously contemplating switching to pickup. Feeling sad about this, and also about news about one member’s cognitive health and two other’s dissension. Went to bed early with an aspiring but resisted the red wine’s siren call.

Kylia I keep meaning to check out Clutterbug Cas. Her rules for purging are too draconian for me, but some of her organizing approaches make sense. Baskets and boxes would NOT work for me. I prefer more systematic storage… so of course there are piles of stuff around waiting for their proper place to be prepared… :laugh:
    Machka “…got distracted…ended up organizing [something else entirely.]” Yes! that’s exactly what happens to me when I declutter! And Yes! Still success, as it all needed doing, right? Prayers for your family and all affected by wildfire, including those suffering from the smoky poor air quality.
    Tracey “…getting time back which is just as valuable” It sure is! And the satisfaction of getting the system to work the way its supposed to. Bravissima! Prayers for your youngest.
    KJ I cannot believe it is legal, much less prudent, in any state for a 10 year old to use a chainsaw in tree service, even if it were considered agricultural “farm work.” Sure hope Tim’s source was mistaken. https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/WHD/legacy/files/whdfs40.pdf Hooray for feeling great after such unusual exertioni!
    Pip :loved: your “Stat for the day- Other, housecleaning, vacuum, rearranging clothes in drawers, laundry fold/put away, sweep patio, dust , 3hrs 13min 57sec= 893c” Could you stop by here on your way north? :laugh:
    Margaret I’m having trouble visualizing the special securing tape on gas pumps. Next time you top off your tank could you send a pic? We pumped our own gas forever, until moving here in 2017. Have to say I really appreciate the service when it’s raining and windy (hunh, raining? on the Oregon coast??? :laugh:).
    Carol if you could upload the video to YouTube, you could paste a link to it here, but you have to have a YouTube account (free.)
    Michele you could send little Susie Homemaker over here any time! :laugh:
    Rebecca sounds like you’re making sensible choices while enjoying precious family time. Well done!
    Julie SMH at the wait for biopsy results. Bound to increase anxiety. Sending healing thoughts and “get up off your butt and give her the results before you leave on vacation ” energy to your dermatologist.
    Allie and we are truly blessed to have you still with us. :heart:
    Welcome @Margie_11 ! Would you let us know what to call you and your general locale?
    Heather brava for the editing progress!
    Lisa ((hugs))
    Flea comfort food tapioca, yes! Funny your family isn’t eating it, more for you! Mama always made it for after dental or medical work and jello for before. Warm memories here too. Healing hugs sent your way.
    Katla think of all the love you’re crocheting into that blanket. That baby will be drenched in it.

Well, I managed to spend my alone-at-the-house time here instead of vacuuming, oops! ;) Time to be up and about.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: leaner/stronger/kinder than July.
    daily: sit with Joe: 13, weigh/wii: 15/0/0; steps>6704=7177 vits=15, log=15, CI<CO=15, CI<250<CO=11, Tumble=8, Shadow=13, mfp=14, outside=18, up hill=16, clean 10=6.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue:LD YH=1, Wed:TC=2, PW=2. Thurs: Fri:TC=2. Sat:PW=2. rX x4=2.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4 6/30:141.5 7/31:140.2!!! 8/1:141.3 8/8:140.4 8/15:141.5 :rage:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=, plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF:9 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

Lololol, every Sunday… Kirby takes yogi to get the car washed and yogi has his luttle bag of popcorn then he goes to Costco. It’s their father son time
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka – Congrats on your success with Uni and bin emptying! :bigsmile:

Heather – Good for your editing session. You appear to have made excellent progresss. Enjoy your paint choices. :star:

Flea – It is good to hear from you! I hope you’ve enjoyed your tapioca and the conversations here. :smile:

Barbara - “Katla think of all the love you’re crocheting into that blanket. That baby will be drenched in it.” Thank you for your kind words. I’ve had to start over twice and I’m on my way. I’m knitting this time, and like both knitting and crocheting. :heart:

Allie – We have our TV mounted above our fireplace mantel. It is high enough that our dog never paid any attention to it. Your dog is a character. :smiley:

Snacker – Congrats on your great week at the beach. :flowerforyou:

I had a lovely yoga class today and stopped in at Walgreens to get DH some medicine to ease his tummy upset. Last weekend there was a sand castle competition on the island across from us. I spent some time looking with our binoculars and I was highly impressed by the creativity. I have no idea how long they will be able to stay up. The weather is sunny. So far there are no “mean kids” to deliberately mess them up.

Have a great day!

Katla