WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2021

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,993 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Happy belated birthdays Julie and Carol. And Tracey!
    Was at mom's until this morning.
    No, did not get as much gardening done but that is ok. I came to the realization that- spending time WITH mom is more important than doing chores that need to be done. The weeds will still be there. We had a great weekend. I cooked for her every meal the whole time(Friday until last night(dinner was at 9:30PM because we were out pulling weeds until 9PM- finally asked her if she wanted a flashlight-she said she was done so came in. Dinner had been prepped so just needed warm it and put the topping so on it.
    It was too hot to work during the days.
    She went to a wedding on Saturday so I stayed at the house, did a few little chores. Sat out by the pond(only place on the property that I can text pictures) heard a strange sound-water bubbling. Found she had one of the drip lines had come apart- found over six inches deep in water and an area about 10' round or more very green(everything else is dry) and over four feet high. I turned the water to that line off and let the water level go down- found the problem yesterday and fixed it. Hoping that is why she has been having water pressure problems.
    I took her to church and then to Walmart to get her meds and of course she wanted to shop- that is fine- it was after 2:30 by the time we finally got home- hadn't eaten anything before leaving so I made lunch as soon as we got home.
    She loved having me there and appreciated all that I did(including doing the dishes that I had used to cook for her instead of like my sister, cooks for a client and then leaves the kitchen a mess for mom to clean up.
    The garden is almost a complete loss in my opinion. The tomatoes are the only things that are doing ok. All the things I planted those two weekends are not growing at all or very little. Corn is very sparse and not even 2 ft high instead of being 6-7ft high. Okra is not even 3 inches high instead of two feet high. Most of the beans didn't even come up(and I planted 5 100ft rows. Popcorn is even smaller than the sweet corn
    We will just have to make sure things are done sooner and better next year.
    She does have all the raised beds and they are all doing well.
    Came home with cantaloupe, cucumbers, tomatoes, and zucchini

Lots of running around- doing morning chores while she was sleeping, before I left, and then loading and unloading my car.
    Got home and right after the daycare girl came in I was talking to dh- looked out the window to the catio and one of the cats was outside- the kids mom didn't close the front screen door all the way or the kid opened in. I came in the living room and it was wide open.
    Cant get the cat to come back in- too scared- first time since we caught him as a kitten that he has been out side- Hoping I can get him to come back in the catio(other cats are inside and the window to it is closed).He was hanging around it because his sister was there but when I tried to catch him again-he ran off.
    DH is sure he is gone for good- such a pessimist@

At over 7,000 steps already and have zumba tonight- Will get my steps in for sure today.
    Time to get something to eat- been busy and just noticed the time.

I will now continue reading to try and catch up- on page 38 now.

Have a great day.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,993 Member
    Options
    Terri thanks for the butter recommendation. I have a prescription for anti-scar cream so I suppose I will use that. I don't know if I can use both. That might be iffy.

Barbara, thanks the appointment was simple and fine. Its so handy to have a nurse available less than 10 min by foot.

When I look at the original biopsy results (I haven't gotten aug 4 biopsy results) it says "invasive" which means spread to below skin. And when it's below skin that has less good prognosis. (maybe stage 2 I think). I'm not reassured. I think I'm going to call dermatologist or hospital early next week.

They really shouldn't wait a month to give me results from last biopsy I think.

dh found the best thing for his scars after double hip replacement(twice) was to use Vit. E oil . That is what his doctor recomended. It really helped.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    My mom decided she is too old for gardening, and told my dad he could pull out the whole flower garden. It is the end of an era.

On the other hand, Mom went clothes shopping with me today for a few hours and did quite well.

I am reading The Time Traveler's Wife, which is excellent. The tone is more like a romance than sci-fi.

Annie in Delaware
  • klt052194
    klt052194 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    r2lw6qmjp80u.jpeg

Precious!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Pip- is that Rocky and Bullwinkle? Or Floyd and Bullwinkle? So sweet.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,016 Member
    Options
    Katla- I love all the critter shows and all but cant watch a single one , not even a commercial as my crazy spaz boy starts up a barking frenzy that would have the whole condo complex beating down my door,so have to watch those when he isnt around

Is there a dog training program in your area that would help him stop barking?
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump DVD then since it’s raining out just rode the recumbent bike some. Supposed to rain tomorrow, too, so I may wind up on the bike again. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Zero to 60 Low Impact with Weights DVD.

Heather – about the computer, I’m with you. I don’t know how Vince can stand just sitting at his desk watching a movie on Amazon. I’d go crazy. I’ll watch a TV show on Amazon only when I’m riding the bike.

Julie – Vince never wears sunscreen when we’re out cutting the grass (weeds). Me? I’m helping keep Coppertone’s stock up.

Went to ceramics tonight then stopped at Food Lion just for milk

Debbie – you are a wonderful daughter

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,958 Member
    Options
    :) I rarely go anywhere except to line dance twice a week and curbside grocery pickup on Sundays. But on Saturday we went to Costco the moment they opened and bought the things on our list and were out about 20 minutes later. Today we took something back to Home Depot for a refund, took four boxes of stuff to Goodwill, went through the bank drive through, bought birthday cards for grandkids and a few other items at Walgreens, and got take out enchiladas for lunch. It was a marvelous adventure.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,751 Member
    Options
    Machka- i dont know at 4 yrs old if there is a a training program that would teach him not to bark.. he didnt start out like that,After having him for about 6 months he saw animals on tv and atarted escalating from thereand now if he is in the car with me he barks at people or animals and because I am on the bottom floor of the condo complex and it is semi subterranean and i am near the dumpster people walk by and he is barking again,i dont know if he thinks he is protecting me or thinks he owns the joint I dont know..
  • Machka9
    Options
    I rarely use sunscreen.

But on the other hand, since I moved to Tasmania I am hardly ever in the sun! Tasmanians suffer badly from Vit D deficiencies.

I wear long sleeves (and cardigans or jackets) most of the year because it is cold here and if we do get a warm sunny day, it's usually on a Tuesday on a week where I've got an appointment scheduled for lunch.

5u2u2hqngig6.png
    https://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=94029

I looked at the forecast for a few places in southern BC and they've got whole weeks of warm sunny days ahead. That's not good for them, they need rain ... but it was astounding to see! I had almost forgotten that was possible!

In Tassie, in summer, it sits around 18C with a chilly breeze coming off the water and clouds that look like they might rain. Then one day it hits 25C for an hour in the middle of the day ... the next day it hits 30C for an hour in the middle of the day ... and the third day it's back to 18C again for the next 3 weeks. If you don't get out during that particular hour, you've missed summer. I do try to get out during those summer hours just to get a few rays of sun. Otherwise, I take Vit D every day.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,614 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 27min 26sec, 163elev, 3.25ap, 82ahr, 95mhr, 8mi= 719c
    Strava app = 969c
    Walk to gym- 11.17min, .52mi=52c
    Strava app = 63c
    Spin bike at gym- 35.37min, 10-17gear, 16.85amph, 125ahr, 158mhr, 10mi= 334c
    Walk gym to home- 11.38min, .53mi= 49c
    Strava app = 65c
    Zwift home spin bike- 16.09min, 42elev, 117aw, 60arpm, 98ahr, 118mhr, 5.07mi= 94c
    Zwift app = 109c
    Zwift home spin bike- 1hr 42sec, 170elev, 131aw, 65arpm, 113ahr, 127mhr, 19.77amph, 20.0mi= 427c
    Zwift app =459c

Total cal 1675

Someone did a long ride and it’s a girl! She bumped me off of 5th place. I did 3 separate rides today, gotta get my 5th place back. Got 50.12 more miles to go.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,614 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Pip- is that Rocky and Bullwinkle? Or Floyd and Bullwinkle? So sweet.

Old pic, that was rocky in the cone and young Floyd.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,641 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka- i dont know at 4 yrs old if there is a a training program that would teach him not to bark.. he didnt start out like that,After having him for about 6 months he saw animals on tv and atarted escalating from thereand now if he is in the car with me he barks at people or animals and because I am on the bottom floor of the condo complex and it is semi subterranean and i am near the dumpster people walk by and he is barking again,i dont know if he thinks he is protecting me or thinks he owns the joint I dont know..

There might be. Evidently older dogs can learn not to bark so much. It might be worth looking into before your condo board complains!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,286 Member
    Options
    Machka - When we went to St Petersburgh they said the saying there is "Summer is 50 weeks of expectation and 2 weeks of disappointment " :laugh: When we were there on our cruise we had two days of blazing heatwave!!!

Yesterday evening DH had a 'funny turn' when he suddenly felt nauseous. He was just sitting on the sofa. I did my usual trick with the damp flannel and it passed, but we don't really know why. A big meal after his exertions in the garden?

I hope we will make a start with the paint samples today.

Karen - I really enjoyed your list of things you love. <3 I found a phrase last night that describes them, by John Milton, the author of Paradise Lost, ..... 'everyday epiphanies'. :)
    There is so much joy in the small things. Life is a miracle, isn't it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie - Machka has good advice. Neighbors may not appreciate a barking dog. :noway:
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Julie -
    I hope you get the information you need, and a clear path forward. Though my mother's skin was quite fair, I ended up with olive skin tones. My mother's mother is the only one in the family who had skin cancer, and it was on the top of her head. The cause was her years in the fields picking cotton as a young woman. The doctors went in and removed cancerous cells numerous times... and she lived well into her 90s--she just tended to wear a hat most of the time. She and my mother were sun avoiders.

I've lost six pounds in August so far - not necessarily how I wanted to do it, but hope to keep it off if at all possible. One or more of the medications I'm on must be tanking my appetite because I honestly don't have one at the moment. Nice not to be fighting that.

Lisa in AR

Lisa congratulations on the SV even if it's not the way you wanted.

I have the most olive skin in the family so it's very weird that I'm the only one to get this. I guess due to olive skin I didn't avoid or protect skin as much in early days. The idea of having things removed numerous times is not appealing! But good to hear she lived till 90s despite that! That's way past the age most parents and grandparents lived to. They mostly went from

(((FLEA)))

HEATHER I think I have heard of that series, but haven't gotten very interested in it so far. (but I haven't looked at an episode). It's a sort of semi-ficitonalized reality show about a well-off real estate family, right? With lots of grown sons who all live at home? Or am I mixing that up?
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Got home and right after the daycare girl came in I was talking to dh- looked out the window to the catio and one of the cats was outside- the kids mom didn't close the front screen door all the way or the kid opened in. I came in the living room and it was wide open.
    Cant get the cat to come back in- too scared- first time since we caught him as a kitten that he has been out side- Hoping I can get him to come back in the catio(other cats are inside and the window to it is closed).He was hanging around it because his sister was there but when I tried to catch him again-he ran off.
    DH is sure he is gone for good- such a pessimist@

At over 7,000 steps already and have zumba tonight- Will get my steps in for sure today.
    Time to get something to eat- been busy and just noticed the time.

I will now continue reading to try and catch up- on page 38 now.

Have a great day.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

DEBBIE I would say if you put out food and maybe especially milk you might get him or her back soon, or his or her special food. Back in the 80s, the sound of the electric can opener would get one cat to come running.
    It doesn't sound like it's related to your night away but we my dad had one cat who would hide and not come around for about 2 days when my dad went away for a couple of days. He would come back to eat food at night but not show his face for a couple of days, like he was getting back at my dad for leaving him alone. It doesn't sound like the same dynamic here. If your cat is happy at home there is a very good chance the cat will come back.
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Terri thanks for the butter recommendation. I have a prescription for anti-scar cream so I suppose I will use that. I don't know if I can use both. That might be iffy.

dh found the best thing for his scars after double hip replacement(twice) was to use Vit. E oil . That is what his doctor recomended. It really helped.

I'll see the dermatologists today and ask her her point of view.
    exermom wrote: »

Julie – Vince never wears sunscreen when we’re out cutting the grass (weeds). Me? I’m helping keep Coppertone’s stock up.

Michele NC

I've been reading that melanoma is more common in men than women. I can't help thinking it's because men might wear less sun screen (and are maybe outside more on average - w construction jobs, etc.).

• Machka9
    Options
    I'll see the dermatologists today and ask her her point of view.

Write down all your questions before you go in so that you remember.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    Daily notes
    Good things done yesterday
    tiny walk
    an hour of tidying: mostly ironing
    tracked part of food
    ate some fruit and veggies and tofu and unsweetened whole grain cereal, and whole grain GF bread
    made drs appointments.
    wrote to hospital for information

challenges
    tracking all
    more activity
    going through archiving to send images promised to D and cie
    writing
    keeping up morale and motivation

grateful
    health care system
    café
    mild weather