60 yrs and up

1127128130132133195

Replies

  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 26,224 Member
    Hang in there, @alteredsteve175: You're doing the good work here, but I know it comes at a high personal cost. I'm glad you finally got your weekend away, and some time to relax/restore a little. It's great that you're still able to make progress on your goals, with everything else going on!

    Also: Welcome to our several recent new participants! MFP is a tool that can work if you stick with it, and the support here is good if you reach out for it. The rewards are huge, too, when things work out and goals can be reached.

    Personal updates: Things have been going OK for me after the eye surgery (pars plana vitrectomy/membrane peel), which is getting on close to 2 weeks back. Healing is happening well, they tell me. No noticeable change in vision yet, but they've told me it'll be weeks to months to know the real result. (Sigh.)

    I started in today to go back to some exercise other than casual walking . . . cautiously, and consistent with timelines the doctor recommended. I took a super easy pace bike ride, very gentle, had been thinking in terms of 10mi but ended up more like 14, despite it being over 90 F/32 C. No bad consequences, at least not right away, so fingers crossed. Unless something bad happens overnight (which I think is unlikely), I'm planning to row in the morning as long as it doesn't storm. (Storming now . . . .).

    Still eating a little above my normal maintenance calories sometimes while healing (and I am in maintenance generally now), but will be sticking closer to the maintenance target going forward, since it seems like the acute phase of healing is maybe winding down.

    Have a great week, everyone - happy and productive!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 1,944 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hang in there, @alteredsteve175: You're doing the good work here, but I know it comes at a high personal cost. I'm glad you finally got your weekend away, and some time to relax/restore a little. It's great that you're still able to make progress on your goals, with everything else going on!

    Also: Welcome to our several recent new participants! MFP is a tool that can work if you stick with it, and the support here is good if you reach out for it. The rewards are huge, too, when things work out and goals can be reached.

    Personal updates: Things have been going OK for me after the eye surgery (pars plana vitrectomy/membrane peel), which is getting on close to 2 weeks back. Healing is happening well, they tell me. No noticeable change in vision yet, but they've told me it'll be weeks to months to know the real result. (Sigh.)

    I started in today to go back to some exercise other than casual walking . . . cautiously, and consistent with timelines the doctor recommended. I took a super easy pace bike ride, very gentle, had been thinking in terms of 10mi but ended up more like 14, despite it being over 90 F/32 C. No bad consequences, at least not right away, so fingers crossed. Unless something bad happens overnight (which I think is unlikely), I'm planning to row in the morning as long as it doesn't storm. (Storming now . . . .).

    Still eating a little above my normal maintenance calories sometimes while healing (and I am in maintenance generally now), but will be sticking closer to the maintenance target going forward, since it seems like the acute phase of healing is maybe winding down.

    Have a great week, everyone - happy and productive!

    Glad to know the healing is going well
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,410 Member
    Welcome to all the new folks in this group!

    @anawake13 - Love your ELMM diet acronym. Very simple but it works!

    @NC_Girl - Wear what makes you feel good. No one else's opinion is important in this regard.

    Got away to Seattle last weekend. Slept for ten uninterrupted hours Friday night. Went to the Museum of Flight on Saturday - I'm a geek for airplanes and helicopters - really enjoyed my time there. Was very relaxed and well rested when I got home Sunday.

    Very up and down with my wife and her health issues. She seems to feel better during this chemo break, but she is still difficult at times. She's not doing any exercise beyond walking from the bed to the recliner. She does not like being required to take pain meds on a schedule. I'm frustrated with the entire situation. Another visit with the oncologist tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good news!

    I'm logging my weight and food every day . Dropping weight slowly so that's good.

    Hang in there, my friends.

    Hey Steve! Love the Museum of Flight. Last visit was in 2019 and they had the Smithsonian traveling exhibit celebrating the 50th anniversary of the 1st moon landing. Awesome exhibit and awesome museum.

  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 1,944 Member
    edited August 2021
    Welcome to all the new folks in this group!

    @anawake13 - Love your ELMM diet acronym. Very simple but it works!

    @NC_Girl - Wear what makes you feel good. No one else's opinion is important in this regard.

    Got away to Seattle last weekend. Slept for ten uninterrupted hours Friday night. Went to the Museum of Flight on Saturday - I'm a geek for airplanes and helicopters - really enjoyed my time there. Was very relaxed and well rested when I got home Sunday.

    Very up and down with my wife and her health issues. She seems to feel better during this chemo break, but she is still difficult at times. She's not doing any exercise beyond walking from the bed to the recliner. She does not like being required to take pain meds on a schedule. I'm frustrated with the entire situation. Another visit with the oncologist tomorrow. Fingers crossed for good news!

    I'm logging my weight and food every day . Dropping weight slowly so that's good.

    Hang in there, my friends.

    Hey Steve! Love the Museum of Flight. Last visit was in 2019 and they had the Smithsonian traveling exhibit celebrating the 50th anniversary of the 1st moon landing. Awesome exhibit and awesome museum.

    Next time y’all are in the area check out the restaurant Randy’s. It’s not too far down the road from the Museum of Flight.
    It’s an old Denny’s. Service is so-so but very friendly. The food is old school burgers and fries and grilled cheese and greasy eggs.
    You’re not going there for the food. Or the service. You’re going there for the airplane models and the massive amount of aviation history all over the walls, and in photo albums and books all over the restaurant.

    You’re going to love it.

    I believe pre-COVID it was open 24 hours. Not too sure if that’s still the case.

    Editing.
    Ah! BEANS.
    And kittens.

    They closed due to COVID and lack of business.

    http://www.randys-restaurant.net/
  • myfurturelooksgood
    myfurturelooksgood Posts: 30 Member
    Not sure how to add people. Can anyone help with that?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 1,944 Member
    Not sure how to add people. Can anyone help with that?
    ff3fkczb66uj.jpeg
    rp3hxnn38e1h.jpeg
    mned02rpwpic.jpeg
    c6vgusy0hfh5.jpeg

  • booboo1000
    booboo1000 Posts: 58 Member
    Hi @tess77h -- I'm 61 and type 2. I like your plan to set a series of small goals--this really worked for me. Two years after I set a first goal not to gain any more I am down to significantly under where I ever thought I would be--well within my healthy weight range. I think I have lost around 70 pounds. Bit by bit by bit. Recognizing that I have a huge target on my back for a bad COVID outcome if I got it and that significant weight loss would limit some of my risk helped me get really serious and stick with it for the past 16 months. I have the support of my doctor in my goal of a normal A1c, something not every T2 can or should do.

    Regarding meeting your daily goals, I can tell you what worked for me: 1) fiber at each meal 2) soup and a small amount of nuts at lunch, and possibly the most important for me 3) I know today what I'm eating tomorrow and I dish it out ready to go. Right now my oats are soaking in the pan they will be cooked in and my yogurt is dished out. Nuts are measured into old spice jars. Soup is frozen in cup sized servings and beans and salad are measured into small bowls. I don't eat much meat, but when I do I cook several days in advance and store in bowls ready to heat and eat. Now that I'm maintaining I've added in a little more nuts, yogurt, and fruit.

    Best, Boo
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 146 Member
    @NC_Girl I'm not the fashion police because I'm kind of a hot mess in that area but I like seeing older women who look great. It's such an inspiration! But here's my 2 cents. Make sure your clothes fit. No need to dress like a sausage casing. Accentuate what you think are your best features. Maybe ask a friend. And wear what you like cause who the heck cares.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 146 Member
    @tess77h Food lover and lazy? That's how I ended up here. My goal is just to log everyday and I can't seem to do that.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,633 Member
    Not sure how to add people. Can anyone help with that?

    This method works to add friends in MFP on the desktop app:

    1) Click on the username in the left sidebar. A window showing the username will open.
    2) Click on the username again. The user's profile will open.
    3) Click on the "Add Friend" button on the user's profile page.

    Formerly, there was an option to send a message along with the request. That feature doesn't work any longer.

    An introduction is still a good idea - just a short note mentioning where you saw the user, some common interests or goals, etc. That way they know you are not a spammer or bot. Now I send that note after I have been added.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,633 Member
    edited August 2021
    Not sure how to add people. Can anyone help with that?
    ff3fkczb66uj.jpeg
    rp3hxnn38e1h.jpeg
    mned02rpwpic.jpeg
    c6vgusy0hfh5.jpeg

    Margaret - is this method done on the phone app? I did not see the "Invite Friends" option on the desktop. It would be great to able to send a message along with the request.

    Edited - DOH! Now I see the phone keyboard in the last screenshot. Will try this method on the phone.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 2,283 Member
    The suns shining and all is looking beautiful, tomatoes, blueberries and leeks growing well, happy days.
  • tess77h
    tess77h Posts: 40 Member
    booboo1000 wrote: »
    Hi @tess77h -- I'm 61 and type 2. I like your plan to set a series of small goals--this really worked for me. Two years after I set a first goal not to gain any more I am down to significantly under where I ever thought I would be--well within my healthy weight range. I think I have lost around 70 pounds. Bit by bit by bit. Recognizing that I have a huge target on my back for a bad COVID outcome if I got it and that significant weight loss would limit some of my risk helped me get really serious and stick with it for the past 16 months. I have the support of my doctor in my goal of a normal A1c, something not every T2 can or should do.

    Regarding meeting your daily goals, I can tell you what worked for me: 1) fiber at each meal 2) soup and a small amount of nuts at lunch, and possibly the most important for me 3) I know today what I'm eating tomorrow and I dish it out ready to go. Right now my oats are soaking in the pan they will be cooked in and my yogurt is dished out. Nuts are measured into old spice jars. Soup is frozen in cup sized servings and beans and salad are measured into small bowls. I don't eat much meat, but when I do I cook several days in advance and store in bowls ready to heat and eat. Now that I'm maintaining I've added in a little more nuts, yogurt, and fruit.

    Best, Boo

    Hello Boo: Things have changed in MFP so I wasn't sure how to reply. I hope this gets to you.

    It sounds like you are very organized! I think about preparing food ahead but I don't get that done very often. You have quite a success story which is very inspiring. I have often thought about "what if" with Covid. I sure don't want to go down that road.

    I will send a friend request.

    Teresa
  • suzleigh1
    suzleigh1 Posts: 19 Member
    First time posting here, but have been reading through with great interest. 62 and on a healthy life change since April. Started working out with free weights and a weight machine, adding to the routine over time. By July, I was down two sizes, but stuck on weight so I went to see a nutritionist. We both concluded I was not eating enough calories (hello MFP), and she advised me to try a paleo plan (I was already almost there anyway). So I lost a couple of pounds and plateaued again. Since I do free weights, weight machine, kettlebells, and resistance bands, I’ve added a dairy free protein drink (with almond butter, kale/spinach, flax/chia) to my daily regimen. Weight is slowly going down.

    It’s often disheartening to see the scale go up after just going down through the week. I have lost just under 8 lb since Aug 7 (when I got my new scale), which is a healthy rate. I don’t recall being this angsty when I was shoveling in all those onion rings, slices of pizza, and candy bars. Oh well… 😌
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 26,224 Member
    suzleigh1 wrote: »
    First time posting here, but have been reading through with great interest. 62 and on a healthy life change since April. Started working out with free weights and a weight machine, adding to the routine over time. By July, I was down two sizes, but stuck on weight so I went to see a nutritionist. We both concluded I was not eating enough calories (hello MFP), and she advised me to try a paleo plan (I was already almost there anyway). So I lost a couple of pounds and plateaued again. Since I do free weights, weight machine, kettlebells, and resistance bands, I’ve added a dairy free protein drink (with almond butter, kale/spinach, flax/chia) to my daily regimen. Weight is slowly going down.

    It’s often disheartening to see the scale go up after just going down through the week. I have lost just under 8 lb since Aug 7 (when I got my new scale), which is a healthy rate. I don’t recall being this angsty when I was shoveling in all those onion rings, slices of pizza, and candy bars. Oh well… 😌

    If you haven't read this article yet, it's a really good one for anyone trying to lose weight, perhaps especially much so in a context where exercise amounts and range of foods eaten are also changing:

    https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

    Bottom line: Not every scale stall is a fat-loss plateau, not every scale increase is a fat gain. For someone on a consistent routine, most of those are *not* fat, but fluctuating water retention or digestive contents, not worth a moment's worry - just part of how healthy bodies operate. For fat loss, what matters is the long-term multi-week trend in scale weight. For muscle gain, more like multi-month to years.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 1,944 Member
    Malimalai wrote: »
    Thanks heaven! I'm finally fitted with hearing aids. It's fantastic to hear what a person say to me even when they talk softly. I enjoy having conversations with people again. I don't want much, I'm happy just to live a normal life. 🤗

    Great news! I love mine! They really will improve the quality of your life!