Less Alcohol ~ AUGUST 2021 ~ One Day At A Time

Options

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited August 2021
    Options
    It's a thoughtful gesture, @lilawolf. La Croix is the only one of those I'm familiar with, and I like it a lot. Two different thoughts occur to me. One, from personal experience, is having an AF beverage I genuinely enjoy lets me carry on with the ritual aspects of having a drink without the alcohol effects. I find that helpful. The other thought goes counter to that. For someone emerging from rehab, I just don't know if it is more helpful to change the behavior (having beverage oriented habits or rituals) -OR- to keep the behavior the same but just substitute less harmful beverages. E.g. is someone working on reframing her recreational activities and stress/emotional responses to minimize emphasis on what they're consuming and maybe focus instead on feelings or awareness -OR- is that person working on swapping out the drink when having fun or feeling stressed? I guess it just depends on what your mom is working on. Even if the emphasis is on changing behavior and thought patterns to deemphasize what she's consuming, having a nice array of beverages doesn't necessarily send a counterproductive message. But the gift does focus on the drink, not the behavior. Apologies for not being clear or concise on that.

Different topic: I missed this in the NYT yesterday. Thought it might be of interest to the group. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/30/well/live/alcohol-atrial-fibrillation.html
  • ahoy_m8
    Options
    Exquisite, @lmlmrn !
  • ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Morning from me.
    September already.
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,561 Member
    Options
    10 days AF in August. A bit gutted to have let myself down so much this month but on the other hand I feel good that I feel bad if that makes sense.

After 20 odd years of daily drinking I shouldn't be surprised if I back slide from time to time. The important thing I need to focus on is not to give up.

Next stop September!

EXACTLY the thought process you (I) need. Like a shock collar that reminds us how we have to be aware that accountability matters for own own personal journey.

I used to be a daily, heavy drinker( more than 1 daily) we can do this!
    😊
  • MissMay
    Options
    Forgot to include my AF tally for the whole month in my post last night-

AUGUST 2021-
    26AF
    5A
  • MissMay
    Options
    @lmlmrn your latest mandala is GORGEOUS!!!!! It keeps me mesmerized.
  • MissMay
    Options
    Enjoying a newly discovered AF beer after getting through August w/o a drink. That first week I couldn't wait for September and I thought I'd have my September 1 celebratory wine all planned. But here we are and I'm ok with waiting until the long weekend. Prior to the month, I drank every day. I'm curious now what September will look like, I haven't set goals for myself yet. I very much appreciate all the kindness and encouragement on this thread though, it's become a daily touchstone for me.
    See you all on the September thread!

You have done so very well. I know that first week feeling of trying to drink less. Habits can be changed and redirected.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @ahoy_m8 and @lmlmrn You know, thats interesting. Sometimes AF substitutes, I have a cabernet and and IPA that I really like, help me with cravings and give me something special to drink especially with friends, but on the break after a period of really drinking too much, they made the cravings worse. Avoidance/redirection were better. Soda waters didn't have the same triggering effect for me, especially since I only drink 0-2 a day, but I also don't think I'm an alcoholic.

I have noticed when my mom was trying to stay dry in the past that she drinks lacroix/similar LIKE an alcoholic, drinking 1-2 an hour, so....maybe this was the wrong choice. Sigh. Maybe more activity things would be better, but it's done now. I'm hoping that she'll use the kayak I bought her and the jetski her husband bought her more. Maybe a puzzle? She's doing one in rehab. She really doesn't really have any hobbies anymore.

As for the brands, bubly is a touch sweeter than lacroix. Maybe 50% more flavor/sweetness. These help with my sweet tooth and cravings for something special when I'm not drinking alcohol. Nojitos are lovely with it. The dry sodas are what I always wanted a cream soda to taste like - lovely flavor and maybe half the sweetness of regular soda.

Final tally for August
    Aug 1: A - 1 drink (mimosa)
    Aug 2-5: AF
    Aug 6: A - 4 drinks (3 IPAs and a bourbon)
    Aug 7-26: AF
    Aug 27: A - 4 drinks (1 mojito and 3 IPAs)
    Aug 28-31: AF
    Total tally: 28/31AF, Longest streak: 20 days, Total drinks: 9 (standard drinks: 13.2), Weight lost: ~5lbs
    Goal for next month: No more than 3 drinks in a day no more than 2 days a week. This might relax a bit if I'm on vacation before starting my new job (I should find out tomorrow).
  • ahoy_m8
    edited September 2021
    Options
    10 days AF in August. A bit gutted to have let myself down so much this month but on the other hand I feel good that I feel bad if that makes sense.

After 20 odd years of daily drinking I shouldn't be surprised if I back slide from time to time. The important thing I need to focus on is not to give up.

Next stop September!

I will note you also had a family vacation in there, so cut yourself some slack! Your attitude and willingness to jump right back on the goals is a really good example. I appreciate your sharing all that. And, of course, the Mallorca photos. Maybe someday....
  • ahoy_m8
    edited September 2021
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    @ahoy_m8 and @lmlmrn You know, thats interesting. Sometimes AF substitutes, I have a cabernet and and IPA that I really like, help me with cravings and give me something special to drink especially with friends, but on the break after a period of really drinking too much, they made the cravings worse. Avoidance/redirection were better. Soda waters didn't have the same triggering effect for me, especially since I only drink 0-2 a day, but I also don't think I'm an alcoholic.

I have noticed when my mom was trying to stay dry in the past that she drinks lacroix/similar LIKE an alcoholic, drinking 1-2 an hour, so....maybe this was the wrong choice. Sigh. Maybe more activity things would be better, but it's done now. I'm hoping that she'll use the kayak I bought her and the jetski her husband bought her more. Maybe a puzzle? She's doing one in rehab. She really doesn't really have any hobbies anymore.

As for the brands, bubly is a touch sweeter than lacroix. Maybe 50% more flavor/sweetness. These help with my sweet tooth and cravings for something special when I'm not drinking alcohol. Nojitos are lovely with it. The dry sodas are what I always wanted a cream soda to taste like - lovely flavor and maybe half the sweetness of regular soda.

Final tally for August
    Aug 1: A - 1 drink (mimosa)
    Aug 2-5: AF
    Aug 6: A - 4 drinks (3 IPAs and a bourbon)
    Aug 7-26: AF
    Aug 27: A - 4 drinks (1 mojito and 3 IPAs)
    Aug 28-31: AF
    Total tally: 28/31AF, Longest streak: 20 days, Total drinks: 9 (standard drinks: 13.2), Weight lost: ~5lbs
    Goal for next month: No more than 3 drinks in a day no more than 2 days a week. This might relax a bit if I'm on vacation before starting my new job (I should find out tomorrow).

Apologies for being so longwinded upthread, but you hit exactly on what I was trying to say -- encouraging substitute ACTIVITIES instead of substitute BEVERAGES. And it sounds like you guys have that covered in spades as well. I was thinking along the lines of.... if she's in the habit of a drink to unwind after work, maybe instead take a quick walk around the block as a ritual signal to herself to slow down, switch gears, relax, have some "me time" where she doesn't have to respond to anyone else. I think walks are good for that because there are no phones, no distractions, just you and the singing cicadas. So in that case, maybe walking shoes... that kind of thing. The puzzles are a really good idea, too. Or a sewing/needlework project. The needle-pointers I know are already gearing up for their Christmas projects (stockings for newborns in the family, nativity scenes, clever stuff needle-pointers do). Honestly, I do feel needlepointing is a metaphor for so many things in life. :flowerforyou:
  • chili_pep
    chili_pep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My goal is AF till 31 of December!