September 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    I’ll ask a silly question this month – What are your pre-race rituals? Is there always something you eat the night before or the morning of? Do you wear a certain pair of socks or hat? What do you always do?

The night before I check the weather one last time and make a final call on clothing and put everything I need in a pile including bib, fuel, etc so I'm not stumbling around in the dark half-asleep. While I don't have a set race morning meal, I do tend to stick to the same few things. I wake up early enough to get 2 cups of coffee and eat a bagel or oatmeal and banana usually. I like to eat a good breakfast but that means I need at least an hour for my food to settle. No specific clothing items, just chosen for comfort. At the venue, I run a little to warm up, do a few stretches, and make a bathroom stop as close to the start as I can manage. That's pretty much it!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Welcome @Legs_McGee23 and welcome back @johnisrunning

@rheddmobile Sorry to hear about your runniversary race going virtual but I can see why they went that way. Fingers crossed for actually getting to do it in person next year!

@juliet3455 sorry to hear about your string of injuries but still glad to see you again! That fall and the hike out definitely sounds painful.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Welcome back @johnisrunning

@juliet3455 that sounds painful! Good to hear you are able to do some running.

@skippygirlsmom - It has been too long since I have done a race to say for sure. I used to have a checklist that I would run through, make sure everything was packed and ready from that checklist the night before, and re-check before leaving to make sure I took everything (and update it whenever I felt I was ever missing anything). I would always plan to get there 2 hours before start time, and take coffee with me. I would of course do the pre-race bio-break and for anything over 10k I would drink a small gatorade just before, and would take a GU every hour during the race. I also had a post-run drink ready for me at the finish. After all that easy paced keto running this spring/summer all of that food/drink ritual seems kind of silly, but of course it's critical for race paces.

5.01 mile afternoon walk is in the books.
    9/1 - Morning Walk - 4.31 miles
    9/1 - Afternoon Walk - 5.01 miles
    exercise.png
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I'm short on time and had to skim... was sitting here trying to figure out who our bird-watcher is, the guy who takes his binoculars on runs... finally realized it's not someone here, but Tony, who used to appear frequently on the Marathon Talk podcast. He's doing other things now, but I always got a laugh out of his "Tony's Trials".

School is back in session, so I should start getting out the door earlier :) Guess I need to go to sleep earlier, too...

Welcome back @juliet3455 sorry about the injuries though.

I'm also signed up for that Guinness 10k and like @quilteryoyo realized I also have a HM the day before :neutral: so I guess I should pull a Pastor Vincent and race them both while aiming for PRs on both? Just kidding. It may be a slow 10k. I keep having this weird fear that I'm going to forget to run the 10k though 😆
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

The most silly thing I do for races is I try to match my manicure and pedicure to the race colors. Short, square nails, but bonus if neon colors, glitter, or chrome are involved. I have been known to involve race themed decals or other nail art for holiday races. My upcoming race that went virtual was for the West Cancer center and their colors are lime green and sky blue, which makes for a fun combo! Still planning on doing my nails for the virtual race even if no one sees them but me and my husband. It’s very silly but it makes races feel special, and I joke that my toes are faster when painted in silly colors!

This is awesome!!!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I’m taking a break for a week due to hip pain. Hopefully the pain will go away. Is there anything I can do to help. I’m thinking I’ll do some yoga. I don’t want to over do it just something gentle. If the pain doesn’t go away with the week off I think I should go to the sports medicine doctor. I’m not sure if it’s a running injury or the fall I took. Any advice you want to give I’m all ears.
    Exactly how and where does your hip hurt, and what movement elicit the pain?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    kkay2345 wrote: »
    I changed my walking/running goal for September from 100 miles to 85 miles since I decided to start Couch to 5K. So far I have done two C25K runs and so far, so good! I am trying to build my strength back after breast cancer treatment so I am hoping I can finish C25K. I love reading everyone updates. So inspiring!

ETA: Forgot to add my miles!

3.02 of 82 miles completed

I wasn’t gonna say anything but was wondering how 100 miles would fit into c25k! It’s been a while since I did it but the math wasn’t adding up in my head!

Glad you are getting back into it, take it easy and don’t be afraid to repeat runs if they get difficult.
  • kkay2345
    kkay2345 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    kkay2345 wrote: »
    I changed my walking/running goal for September from 100 miles to 85 miles since I decided to start Couch to 5K. So far I have done two C25K runs and so far, so good! I am trying to build my strength back after breast cancer treatment so I am hoping I can finish C25K. I love reading everyone updates. So inspiring!

ETA: Forgot to add my miles!

3.02 of 82 miles completed

I wasn’t gonna say anything but was wondering how 100 miles would fit into c25k! It’s been a while since I did it but the math wasn’t adding up in my head!

Glad you are getting back into it, take it easy and don’t be afraid to repeat runs if they get difficult.

Ha ha! It’s a combination of Couch to 5K and then walking the other days. I am hoping that will get me to at least 85 miles. I will definitely repeat weeks if needed!!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Proper spring out there today. Lovely and sunny. Another 60 mins aerobic - I told my coach I didn’t want to do speed work in lockdown as it triggers my niggles and I can’t get to an osteo or physio until we’re in ‘level 2’, which will probably be another three weeks at least.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @julieannegannon very good call on taking a break. I hope it gets better!

@shanaber great job on your virtual HM! I've been in races that required masks at the start/finish, but running an entire race in one would be a deal-breaker for me.

I went out for a run after school dropoff. I had a couple route options in mind, but then came up to another tractor path that *on the map* appeared to connect to another road I was heading for. Sigh. The path disappeared and I was stuck in this
    djhus21o8yfg.jpg Thought I was going to lose a shoe there, haha.
    Ended up with around 12k.

That looks like the golf course looked on Monday.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Distance Log:
    9/2 5.22 miles

Total: 5.22/80 miles

Finally got out there today! Rain in the earlier part of the week left it a little chilly this morning, in the mid-50s F.