Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,956 Member
    Sure, but again...you cannot know an individual's actual risk of anything just by looking at them.

True dat. Sumo wrestlers are among the heaviest people on the planet...and yet I've read their blood chemistry is among the healthiest people on the planet.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    sviers13 wrote: »
    I'm sure someone has already stated this one.

My mother hammered it into my head since the age of ten.

Thin = Healthy

No matter what it takes for you to get/be/stay thin.

A corollary to this is it doesn't really matter what you eat to lose weight/stay at a healthy weight, it's how much. I mean technically, yes, but how healthy is the "thin" person that eats mostly junk? I can almost guarantee a person that maybe is a bit overweight who eats mostly nutritious foods is healthier than the skinny fat person who eats junk.

BYW, I think the whole HAES movement is also a myth, too.

There's a tweet or Tumblr post or something floating around the intermajig about someone who was complimented on how "healthy" they looked because their stomach was flat while they were actively addicted to and regularly using heroin.

I'm not deep in the HAES community but my understanding of "health at every size" is that the focus is more on taking care of and getting care for the body that you do actually have, rather than snarking/criticizing/punishing larger bodies basically just for existing, and not taking into account the history or needs or feelings of the actual human people inhabiting those bodies. My understanding was that the movement developed in response to the medical community at large basically dismissing complaints by fat people. Again, I'm not part of the community, but I've heard about it and this is what I've gleaned from, like, Instagram posts and the occasional blog.

If that's the true mission, then I can get behind that and I think overall it seems like a good alternative to only focusing on weight as a measure of health. I personally think it's better to focus on making healthier food choices and getting more active as a way to achieve better health and weight loss. When I shifted my focus to that instead of getting to a certain size, it made it a lot easier. I still think that there are increased health risks with being obese, and to deny that is disingenuous. It seems like maybe what some are doing are using the movement to justify that you can still be morbidly obese and not have a greater risk for disease as long as you exercise and eat mostly nutrient-dense food (or think you do).

I think the point is more that you actually can't know how healthy a person is just by looking at them, and even if you could make a statistically-supported guess (based on anything, weight or otherwise), the more important thing is that it's not actually your business in any way.

I don't know, I think a person's appearance can actually tell you a lot about their health, and I don't just mean their size (skin color, hair, the way the move, etc.). You're right that it is none of my business what someone chooses to with their body, but I am allowed to disagree with statements that obesity in and of itself doesn't increase risk of health complications.

Sure, but again...you cannot know an individual's actual risk of anything just by looking at them. And if you do decide to speculate about a specific stranger's body, which is a weird thing to do but you're free to spend your time however you like I guess...keep it to yourself.

I hope by "you" you meant collective, non-specific "you" and not me, personally. I don't how the conclusion could be drawn from what I wrote above that I study strangers and worry about whether or not they are healthy and what their health risks may be based on what they look like.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,152 Member
    @Speakeasy76

Yes. I meant "any person." That does include you as an individual, but doesn't mean ONLY you. Kind of like when Smokey Bear says, "Only YOU can prevent wildfires," he is not singling you out personally.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @Speakeasy76

Yes. I meant "any person." That does include you as an individual, but doesn't mean ONLY you. Kind of like when Smokey Bear says, "Only YOU can prevent wildfires," he is not singling you out personally.
    @Speakeasy76

@Speakeasy76

n
    @Speakeasy76

I actually wasn't referring to your post...unless you're one person with 2 different MFP profiles.
    @Speakeasy76

I actually wasn't referring to your post, but thanks for the clarification :smile:
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    Sure, but again...you cannot know an individual's actual risk of anything just by looking at them.

True dat. Sumo wrestlers are among the heaviest people on the planet...and yet I've read their blood chemistry is among the healthiest people on the planet.

Ex-sumo wrestlers live 10 years less than the average Japanese citizen.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sumo-wrestlers-obesity-diet-calories-exercise-symptoms-2019-3

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    I am so sick *of articles that start "According to science..." or "Studies show..." or "Doctors say...". And why are they always "5 foods"??
    *Never eat these 5 foods if you want to lose weight!
    *Always eat these 5 foods if you want to live longer!
    *These 5 foods will rev your metabolism!
    *The same 5 foods will kill you!

And my current favorite: "Eating a hot dog takes away 36 minutes of healthy life!"*

* https://www.pcrm.org/news/blog/eating-hot-dog-takes-away-36-minutes-healthy-life#:~:text=Eating a hot dog takes away 36 minutes,as well as their impact on the environment.

Well, it had to happen...

"Eating This Classic Sandwich Can Add 33 Extra Minutes to Your Life"

https://www.firstforwomen.com/posts/health/foods-minutes-study
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,281 Member
    I am so sick *of articles that start "According to science..." or "Studies show..." or "Doctors say...". And why are they always "5 foods"??
    *Never eat these 5 foods if you want to lose weight!
    *Always eat these 5 foods if you want to live longer!
    *These 5 foods will rev your metabolism!
    *The same 5 foods will kill you!

And my current favorite: "Eating a hot dog takes away 36 minutes of healthy life!"*

* https://www.pcrm.org/news/blog/eating-hot-dog-takes-away-36-minutes-healthy-life#:~:text=Eating a hot dog takes away 36 minutes,as well as their impact on the environment.

Well, it had to happen...

"Eating This Classic Sandwich Can Add 33 Extra Minutes to Your Life"

https://www.firstforwomen.com/posts/health/foods-minutes-study

For anyone who doesn’t want to click the article - it’s PBJs.

The texture of a PBJ keeps me away from them. But they do have grain, protein, and fruit. Not that horrible nutritionally. As long as you’re keeping the jelly to a reasonable limit.

And ya. You’re not gonna live forever if you only eat PBJs 24/7/365.
    😂
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,956 Member
    Used to love PBJ's as a kid, but these days when I'm trying to increase protein, a PBJ is practically worthless to me, as it's mostly carbs. Think I've had one in the last six months.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I love PBJ sandwiches. They're not good macros or anything but I will eat them all day long. ...But only on toast.
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member
    I used to be very confused by the concept of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, until I realised that jelly is something different to what it is in the UK :smiley:
    (This was about 20 years ago)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    SLL1803 wrote: »
    I used to be very confused by the concept of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, until I realised that jelly is something different to what it is in the UK :smiley:
    (This was about 20 years ago)

In addition, many of us will use "jelly" and "jam" interchangeably when even by American usage they are technically different! (I call them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I almost always make them with jam.) No wonder it's confusing! :D
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    I know that by ' jelly' Americans mean jam or something very similar to jam
    Not jelly as we know it in Australia.

Peanut butter and jam don't get put in sandwiches ( or on toast, crumpets etc), together here , you would have one or the other,not as a combination.
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member

Peanut butter and jam don't get put in sandwiches ( or on toast, crumpets etc), together here , you would have one or the other,not as a combination.

That was what confused me, being in the UK.

Once I realised what it meant, I tried it. I can see the appeal, but I think it's an acquired taste.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    ahhhh, the days of coming home from school and having 2 PB&J's as a snack!

And I liked using preserves actually, to through another type in there. Orange marmalade too.

jellies, jams, preserves, marmalades - oh my!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited September 2021
    You mean peanut and Concord grape isn't a universally-beloved flavor combination??? 🤯

(me, to me: well, when you put it like THAT...)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member

In the US, jelly is made with fruit juice only, jam is made with the fruit (usually crushed or in very small pieces), preserves are larger pieces. But they're all a similar product and many people here use the terms somewhat interchangeably.

https://www.britannica.com/story/whats-the-difference-between-jam-jelly-and-preserves

I do make PBJs with some frequency for my kids, but my personal taste prefers peanut butter only. Or peanut butter and nutella, especially with thin apple slices. :yum:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    @penguinmama - in Australia (and UK) Jelly is that dessert thing made from flavoured gelatine crystals disolved in hot water and set in the fridge - what you call jello, I think.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2021
    @penguinmama - in Australia (and UK) Jelly is that dessert thing made from flavoured gelatine crystals disolved in hot water and set in the fridge - what you call jello, I think.

Hmmmm - slices of jelly/jello on bread with peanut butter.....

Ya - that doesn't sound right, not for the flavors/colors that are coming to mind.

Might as well put a dollop of banana pudding on there.
    And pudding (not paper) there is actually ?