Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    One of the staples of school lunch for me was PBJ with grape or strawberry jelly. It definitely had to be jelly, not jam, I used to gag on the bits of fruit. I've seen PB sandwiches paired with all kinds of something sweet - my cousins used to eat them with bananas, and I had friends that used honey. I really like the taste of honey with PB, but the honey makes the bread texture weird :)

I also had a friend who ate PB with sweet pickles :o
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I must be an outlier because I love PB sandwiches and jelly sandwiches but not PB and jelly together.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    One of the staples of school lunch for me was PBJ with grape or strawberry jelly. It definitely had to be jelly, not jam, I used to gag on the bits of fruit. I've seen PB sandwiches paired with all kinds of something sweet - my cousins used to eat them with bananas, and I had friends that used honey. I really like the taste of honey with PB, but the honey makes the bread texture weird :)

I think I lived almost exclusively on PB and honey sandwiches for about a year, when I was very very broke. I've never had PB and jam or jelly. I didn't grow up with peanut butter and I think eating so much of it for a while put me off because I'm not crazy about it.

I had a former coworker who ate PB and mayo sandwiches.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »

I think I lived almost exclusively on PB and honey sandwiches for about a year, when I was very very broke. I've never had PB and jam or jelly. I didn't grow up with peanut butter and I think eating so much of it for a while put me off because I'm not crazy about it.

I had a former coworker who ate PB and mayo sandwiches.

The last time we allowed my husband to fix any meal for himself was about six years ago.
    He made himself a peanut butter, Mayo, ketchup, relish, lettuce, and hot sauce sandwich.
    That was it. Kitchen closed.

He can make his own Keriug coffee. That’s it. And he even screws that up occasionally.

Did he enjoy the sandwich? Some people like odd flavor combinations. Years ago I would have thought the idea of salted chocolate or caramel would seem odd. Now I love it. Of course I also like kimchi and sauerkraut. Growing up we made pizza often. My mom would get together with friends and order a whole bunch of frozen crusts, large cans of sauce, and very large packages of cheese. She would make smaller portions of the sauce and the cheese and keep them in the freezer. My sister and I came up with some really odd combinations that we actually did enjoy. There were one or two that were bad ideas. There's a local pizza shop that has unusual toppings, and one of my favorites used to be roasted red potatoes, caramelized onions, and bacon. It's good with cheddar also, but the rare times I'll go get pizza these days I leave off the extra cheese because that one slice is already several hundred calories.

I don't keep mayo in the house, but I can almost imagine the sandwich your husband made being OK without the mayo. Maybe it would be good with some kimchi.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,993 Member
    Options
    For the record, I (the guy) am the chef of my family, while my wife (the gal) made it clear to me when we got engaged that she would have to be held at gun point to ever do any cooking, she'd rather clean the bathrooms. I said deal, and we've never looked back.

Coming or going to work has caused us to have some pretty random meal times (evening meal as early as 3, as late as 10), but she's held true to her desire to never enter the kitchen so long as I'm alive to prepare food. (I've taught the kids how to prepare a number of meals for those nights where I'm working the 2-10 swing shift and can't help them out at all.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    For the record, I (the guy) am the chef of my family, while my wife (the gal) made it clear to me when we got engaged that she would have to be held at gun point to ever do any cooking, she'd rather clean the bathrooms. I said deal, and we've never looked back.

Coming or going to work has caused us to have some pretty random meal times (evening meal as early as 3, as late as 10), but she's held true to her desire to never enter the kitchen so long as I'm alive to prepare food. (I've taught the kids how to prepare a number of meals for those nights where I'm working the 2-10 swing shift and can't help them out at all.)

Realistically, we could start a whole separate thread about "gender role myths that just won't go away"**. This one would be a point of overlap between the two.

** Let's don't. 😉
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,782 Member
    Options
    PB and Marmite is delicious.

So delicious they sell it as a product now...

ydone6kra82o.png
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,296 Member
    Options
    PB and Marmite is delicious.

So delicious they sell it as a product now...

ydone6kra82o.png

Oh man…. I gotta try that!

Also? Have you ever tried marmite on wheat thins? Just a tiny dip of a corner of the cracker. Amazing. Mmmmmm
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,993 Member
    Options
    When I was active duty my resting HR was 52 thanks to all the cardio the military loves to do, though it's been pretty consistent at 62 since I rejoined civilian life and have been a slacker when it comes to cardio.
  • TX_Bluebonnet
    TX_Bluebonnet Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I remember eating a lot of PBJ sandwiches while growing up, usually with potato chips (a good sweet and salty combo) and a glass of milk.

Another favorite was eating Fluffernutter sandwiches which are made with Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Fluff. Yum!

I still enjoy PBJ sandwiches now and again, but sometimes if I want something less sweet I use cream cheese instead of peanut butter.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Certain foods will help you burn fat

You can eat all the foods on some list that an "expert" put together stating it will burn fat nore effectively, but the down to Earth truth is that if you overconsume calories even from those foods, you WON'T burn fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

I can see not wanting to cook - but she really won't even feed her kids if you aren't there? (Or maybe they only your kids?)
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

You can eat all the foods on some list that an "expert" put together stating it will burn fat nore effectively, but the down to Earth truth is that if you overconsume calories even from those foods, you WON'T burn fat.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol this reminds me of the "negative calorie foods"...

I remember a time people stating, certain foods take more calories to digest then the calories inherently in them.

Crazy...
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Lol this reminds me of the "negative calorie foods"...

I remember a time people stating, certain foods take more calories to digest then the calories inherently in them.

Crazy...

Reminded me too. I think maybe celery and iceberg lettuce might have been "negative calorie" foods.