Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.
Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I love PBJ sandwiches. They're not good macros or anything but I will eat them all day long. ...But only on toast.
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member
    I used to be very confused by the concept of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, until I realised that jelly is something different to what it is in the UK :smiley:
    (This was about 20 years ago)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    SLL1803 wrote: »
    I used to be very confused by the concept of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, until I realised that jelly is something different to what it is in the UK :smiley:
    (This was about 20 years ago)

In addition, many of us will use "jelly" and "jam" interchangeably when even by American usage they are technically different! (I call them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I almost always make them with jam.) No wonder it's confusing! :D
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,216 Member
    I know that by ' jelly' Americans mean jam or something very similar to jam
    Not jelly as we know it in Australia.

Peanut butter and jam don't get put in sandwiches ( or on toast, crumpets etc), together here , you would have one or the other,not as a combination.
  • SLL1803
    SLL1803 Posts: 49 Member

Peanut butter and jam don't get put in sandwiches ( or on toast, crumpets etc), together here , you would have one or the other,not as a combination.

That was what confused me, being in the UK.

Once I realised what it meant, I tried it. I can see the appeal, but I think it's an acquired taste.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    ahhhh, the days of coming home from school and having 2 PB&J's as a snack!

And I liked using preserves actually, to through another type in there. Orange marmalade too.

jellies, jams, preserves, marmalades - oh my!
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited September 2021
    You mean peanut and Concord grape isn't a universally-beloved flavor combination??? 🤯

(me, to me: well, when you put it like THAT...)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member

In the US, jelly is made with fruit juice only, jam is made with the fruit (usually crushed or in very small pieces), preserves are larger pieces. But they're all a similar product and many people here use the terms somewhat interchangeably.

https://www.britannica.com/story/whats-the-difference-between-jam-jelly-and-preserves

I do make PBJs with some frequency for my kids, but my personal taste prefers peanut butter only. Or peanut butter and nutella, especially with thin apple slices. :yum:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,216 Member
    @penguinmama - in Australia (and UK) Jelly is that dessert thing made from flavoured gelatine crystals disolved in hot water and set in the fridge - what you call jello, I think.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2021
    @penguinmama - in Australia (and UK) Jelly is that dessert thing made from flavoured gelatine crystals disolved in hot water and set in the fridge - what you call jello, I think.

Hmmmm - slices of jelly/jello on bread with peanut butter.....

Ya - that doesn't sound right, not for the flavors/colors that are coming to mind.

Might as well put a dollop of banana pudding on there.
    And pudding (not paper) there is actually ?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    One of the staples of school lunch for me was PBJ with grape or strawberry jelly. It definitely had to be jelly, not jam, I used to gag on the bits of fruit. I've seen PB sandwiches paired with all kinds of something sweet - my cousins used to eat them with bananas, and I had friends that used honey. I really like the taste of honey with PB, but the honey makes the bread texture weird :)

I also had a friend who ate PB with sweet pickles :o
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I must be an outlier because I love PB sandwiches and jelly sandwiches but not PB and jelly together.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,370 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    One of the staples of school lunch for me was PBJ with grape or strawberry jelly. It definitely had to be jelly, not jam, I used to gag on the bits of fruit. I've seen PB sandwiches paired with all kinds of something sweet - my cousins used to eat them with bananas, and I had friends that used honey. I really like the taste of honey with PB, but the honey makes the bread texture weird :)

I think I lived almost exclusively on PB and honey sandwiches for about a year, when I was very very broke. I've never had PB and jam or jelly. I didn't grow up with peanut butter and I think eating so much of it for a while put me off because I'm not crazy about it.

I had a former coworker who ate PB and mayo sandwiches.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,900 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »

I think I lived almost exclusively on PB and honey sandwiches for about a year, when I was very very broke. I've never had PB and jam or jelly. I didn't grow up with peanut butter and I think eating so much of it for a while put me off because I'm not crazy about it.

I had a former coworker who ate PB and mayo sandwiches.

The last time we allowed my husband to fix any meal for himself was about six years ago.
    He made himself a peanut butter, Mayo, ketchup, relish, lettuce, and hot sauce sandwich.
    That was it. Kitchen closed.

He can make his own Keriug coffee. That’s it. And he even screws that up occasionally.

Did he enjoy the sandwich? Some people like odd flavor combinations. Years ago I would have thought the idea of salted chocolate or caramel would seem odd. Now I love it. Of course I also like kimchi and sauerkraut. Growing up we made pizza often. My mom would get together with friends and order a whole bunch of frozen crusts, large cans of sauce, and very large packages of cheese. She would make smaller portions of the sauce and the cheese and keep them in the freezer. My sister and I came up with some really odd combinations that we actually did enjoy. There were one or two that were bad ideas. There's a local pizza shop that has unusual toppings, and one of my favorites used to be roasted red potatoes, caramelized onions, and bacon. It's good with cheddar also, but the rare times I'll go get pizza these days I leave off the extra cheese because that one slice is already several hundred calories.

I don't keep mayo in the house, but I can almost imagine the sandwich your husband made being OK without the mayo. Maybe it would be good with some kimchi.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,782 Member
    For the record, I (the guy) am the chef of my family, while my wife (the gal) made it clear to me when we got engaged that she would have to be held at gun point to ever do any cooking, she'd rather clean the bathrooms. I said deal, and we've never looked back.

Coming or going to work has caused us to have some pretty random meal times (evening meal as early as 3, as late as 10), but she's held true to her desire to never enter the kitchen so long as I'm alive to prepare food. (I've taught the kids how to prepare a number of meals for those nights where I'm working the 2-10 swing shift and can't help them out at all.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    For the record, I (the guy) am the chef of my family, while my wife (the gal) made it clear to me when we got engaged that she would have to be held at gun point to ever do any cooking, she'd rather clean the bathrooms. I said deal, and we've never looked back.

Coming or going to work has caused us to have some pretty random meal times (evening meal as early as 3, as late as 10), but she's held true to her desire to never enter the kitchen so long as I'm alive to prepare food. (I've taught the kids how to prepare a number of meals for those nights where I'm working the 2-10 swing shift and can't help them out at all.)

Realistically, we could start a whole separate thread about "gender role myths that just won't go away"**. This one would be a point of overlap between the two.

** Let's don't. 😉