September 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    10k in the rain yesterday - we decided that we need more hills so we did the hilly bits of Shelby Farms. It was supposed to rain, then it was supposed to be clear, then it rained anyway! But sort of a nice soft rain mostly, although it was pouring on the drive over.

There was what looked like a middle school cross country track meet going on, with a terrifying lack of regard for social distancing and no masks anywhere. Thousands of spectators and parents shoulder to shoulder on the asphalt trails. So we headed off into the grass and swung wide of them through the middle of a field. Considering that Tennessee is right now top of the WORLD for cases per capita it wasn’t a crowd I wanted to be in the middle of. It did give me envy for youth though! Some of the more athletic kids were sauntering around various parts of the park at speeds I can’t even imagine.

@quilteryoyo re: the scheduling two events at the park. Our event was originally scheduled for Saturday and the other one for Sunday morning - we stayed up late Saturday and ran the virtual race Sunday as soon as the park opened, without realizing there was an overlap.

@skippygirlsmom re: curfew at the park. Although Memphis has a curfew at almost every park, this one in particular makes some sense since it was originally part of the Penal Farm and is still adjacent to it. It’s rare that anyone attempts to escape a minimum security prison, but it has happened in the past. When I was in college it used to be a common hazing to dare pledges to break into the Penal Farm and tip cattle, which was scarier than usual cattle tipping since their “cattle” were Texas longhorns, plus a herd of bison! No one ever got gored or arrested, but some had to run from prison guards!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Nice running everyone. Glad you talked to your allergist and you have a new plan of attack. I hope it works.

@rheddmobile I wouldn't have wanted to be in that crowd either. I see large gatherings of people and cringe too. I just don't understand. That makes sense about the two races. I was thinking they were scheduled at the same date and time. Haha about the cattle tipping hazing. Can you tip bison?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    9-1 7k easy
    9-2 rest
    9-3 4k slow
    9-4 4k sloooooooow
    9-5 4k easy
    9-6 4k moderate
    9-7 4k moderate
    9-8 rest
    9-9 rest
    9-10 4k slow
    9-11 4k moderate
    9-12 4k easy
    9-13 rest
    9-14 4k easy
    9-15 4k easy
    9-16 rest

September Total: 47k
    September Goal: 150k

Golf today instead of running.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2021 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

PUT THE FUN BACK IN THE RUN!
    Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs (second attempt)

2021 Races:

6/26 Direction Up 5k, Solon, OH 31:48 chip; 31:59 Garmin; 53d overall; 2d male 65 and over
    7/17 Run of the Ox 5k, Mantua, OH 32:19 Garmin; 44th overall; 3d place male 60 and over
    9/18 Hattie Larlham ThriveK, Aurora, OH Scratch
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Great job on keeping going and getting it done!

Nice pace @kgirlhart !
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile yay for running in the rain :D
    @katharmonic great job on your tempo run!
    @kgirlhart nice run in 100% humidity.

7 miles this morning. Felt better today. Kind of did a little speed work to get ready for Sunday's 10K, which will be a good gauge for the 15K race in 4 weeks. But pace is over a minute / mile slower than my goal. So don't think I can make that up in a month. Oh well, it is what it is.

exercise.png
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning I recommend finding an Intro to Yoga class, or or one specifically targeted to beginners. The nice thing about this Intro to Yoga class is that it's all about what to expect and explores different aspects so you can take the next step with confidence. The first class all we did was to work on the various warm up exercises, which turned to be excellent stretches.
    @katharmonic those photos are awesome! Love the socks! and your group run...it's amazing what a bit of peer pressure will do.
    @swenson19d I agree with @polskagirl01 , you won't regret going out for a walk.
    @CarsonSurfs welcome back! You must have left the group before I got on it in mid 2015, or my memory is bad.
    @julieannegannon it's so nice to have a doctor you have faith in. Makes all the difference.
    @rheddmobile nice race report and happy runniversary !
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,063 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Math of any kind while running is terribly hard and almost certainly wrong!! That woman sounds like a delight. I need her to be my running cheerleader!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 fantastic race! Impressive that you were able to knock off 1min/mi
    @swenson19d go kick some a**!! :D