September 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,123 Member
    Options
    Nice run @Scott6255 .

@swenson19d Glad you are getting out and getting in some walks in. Hopefully, if you continue to ride the bike now and again and continue to walk, you will strengthen the leg. Just don't overdo to begin with and make it worse.

@RunsOnEspresso Great run. Glad you were able to freeze your vest and have cooler water the entire way. Do you have an insulated bladder? I want to try to freeze mine, but am afraid it will hurt the insulation. Haha about the chews. I'm sure they were very refreshing once you were able to "chew" them.

@polskagirl01 Glad the police were there. I hope the drunks weren't too obnoxious.

@shanaber and @polskagirl01 Pictures are the best options for things like that. :lol:

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,029 Member
    edited September 2021
    Options
    September Goal: 95 Miles

9/1: 4.05 miles
    9/2: 5.51 miles
    9/5: 7.51 miles
    9/7: 4.11 miles
    9/8: 4.31 miles
    9/9: 5.51 miles
    9/12: 9.11 miles

41.06/95  miles completed for September

The weather this morning could not have been nicer. I woke up early enough to get out while it was still cool. 61°F with dew point of 51°. It was just so nice. The plan today was 8 miles in 1 hr 22 min at 10:11 average pace. I didn't run it quite that fast, and I wanted to do a 911 memorial run. So I ran 9.11 miles in 1 hr 39 min at average pace 10::55. I should have run it yesterday,
    but Saturday is usually my rest day and I do my long run on Sundays so I ran it today. Hal still said I aced my workout and gave me an A, so I am happy.  I felt really good today. It was just so nice and was one of those runs that I just felt like I could run forever. I was a little slower than Hal's plan called for,  but I was not as slow as I have been lately and the run didn't feel like a struggle the way it has lately.  So I feel more encouraged about my upcoming Half.

Great job on your night race @polskagirl01! I love the medal!

exercise.png

2021 Races:
    4/24/21: Run For The Children 10K PR 55:46:28.
    11/6/21: Run For 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

@AlphaHowls I'm registered for that and need to check my email. They are supposed to send links and info a few days before since I don't have a FB account, otherwise it seems to all be managed there 🤷‍♂️ I was really hoping to be able to run it but will be walking it instead.

Aye, I have checked my email as well and nothing. Not about to join 'another' facebook group, if they do not send link, so be it. At least we know we are going to do it.

• swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    @shanaber @AlphaHowls Now Dd and I can communicate. I think women must be like minded and communicate better. Dh and I aren’t even in the same library on the same planet lol!

@quilteryoyo I’ll keep at it slowly. Least the pain is short lived and better overnight. Im waiting for cooler weather so I can try out the new tennis courts. Dh had cubital tunnel nerve surgery on the left (elbow, like carpel tunnel), is scheduled for eye surgery in a few weeks (again), then in October will have the right cubital and carpel done. So… I need a tennis partner. I might have to wait til spring unless dd will play. Maybe I can get Beary to play?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Scott6255, @WhatMeRunning , @polskagirl01 , and @Teresa502 . I just looked and the elevation gain for the trail I intend to run my HM on next week is only 748 feet for the length of the trail. I hope that means it will feel relatively flat and "easy."

Have you run on the Tweetsie yet? The trail doesn't really have up and down hills but a noticeable gradual incline. Are you starting out on the JC end or Elizabethton? If you start in JC and do an out and back, you will be running uphill on the second half of your half. Not terribly steep but you will notice it going back.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your race @polskagirl01! Sounds like you managed it quite well and congrats on passing the guy before the finish!
  • quilteryoyo
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Glad you had such a good run @kgirlhart .

@Teresa502 I haven't ran it yet. I am planning on the HM being my first time there. I was planning on starting in JC because in my head Elizabethton is closer to the mountains and would be the higher elevation. I may have to reconsider, because being slightly down hill for the last half of the HM would be so much better than uphill. Which would you recommend?

I found this elevation map of the Tweetsie Trail. It looks like either way, it is uphill at the end...it's just a matter of a long gradual incline or a steeper incline and be done with it. https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7048247/tweetsie-trail

Looking at it again, and considering that I won't be running the entire 10.4 miles, starting in Elizabethton looks like the better option. Then I would avoid the larger grade at the end. I think I am overthinking this a bit too much!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo no, mine isn't insulated.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,450 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS @katharmonic!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,694 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo @katharmonic. Nicely done.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »

@AlphaHowls I'm registered for that and need to check my email. They are supposed to send links and info a few days before since I don't have a FB account, otherwise it seems to all be managed there 🤷‍♂️ I was really hoping to be able to run it but will be walking it instead.

Aye, I have checked my email as well and nothing. Not about to join 'another' facebook group, if they do not send link, so be it. At least we know we are going to do it.

Oh good, it's not just me waiting for the email telling me how to upload results.
    @polskagirl01 Glad the police were there. I hope the drunks weren't too obnoxious.
    More entertaining. Like toddlers with babysitters corraling them.
    There were a lot of kids out giving high fives, too. Just in different spots from the drunks, fortunately!

Great job @katharmonic !!!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    just a quick update!

Distance Log:
    9/2 5.22 miles
    9/4 5.90
    9/6 6.70 - virtual 10K
    9/8 5.49
    9/10 4.51
    9/13 5.73

Total: 33.63/80 miles

hope everybody is well!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Congratulations on your Spartan Race @katharmonic ! Sounds like you really enjoyed it!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody - I will be back to read all your posts and catch up. Thank you all for the encouragement. I did it! Spartan sprint done and I completed all the obstacles, only missing the spear throw. But we were in the open heat so after I did my burpees I tried again and got it on the 3rd try. Felt so good! I was so nervous going into this and it was huge for me to accomplish it. We really took our time as it was the first Spartan race for one member of our group, but I felt really good about it. Be back with a little better report tomorrow. I will say all the hiking I've been doing was very helpful preparation.

Way to go!!!!!