60 yrs and up

Replies

• anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    My experience has really reinforced how different each of us are. I'm 74 and 5 ft 3 and started at 182 now down to 168. Eating 1200 calories a day my weight loss was very slow like a pound a month so my Dr lowered me to 1000 calories a day and now I am losing a lb a week. He told me to never go lower so here I am. Have started back walking and using my stationary bike so I can up my calories to 1200 which is healthier. Good luck to you.
  • clhpoole
    clhpoole Posts: 2 Member
    Hi,
    I have just signed up. I am desperately in need of help to lose weight. I've had various personal challenges this year (mostly good ones) but I have gained 10 pounds since March 1. I've been trying an intermittent fasting diet and it is not working for me. I hate tracking calories but I guess that is what I'll have to do. I'm 62, 5' 9" and weigh 216 lbs. About 10 years ago I was up to 165. I used Jenny Craig and reached 180 lbs in a few years. I didn't stay there long and it's been a struggle ever since. I want to learn to do this on my own instead of going down that road again. One challenge for me is that I don't like to cook.
    Since I've just started with this app, can someone tell me if it's worth getting the premium version (other than no ads)?

Cheers
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Years ago I lost weight on WW (and kept it off).
    My key takeaways:
    It's a change of lifestyle. Even on weeks when I lost nothing while sticking to the plan I still viewed as a success. Why? Because I felt good every day.
    I didn't have a goal weight when I started but my weight stabilized at a certain point. It was near the high end of the healthy range and I was able to maintain that weight for years.
    I had a routine for work, exercise, and food. Now that I'm retired I struggle with a self-imposed routine.
    @clhpoole I like to cook but cooking for one is a challenge. I have a friend who says she doesn't cook much, she "assembles, like taking a premade salad and adding protein.
    Losing weight requires effort both physical and mental.
    Hang in there.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,240 Member
    clhpoole wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have just signed up. I am desperately in need of help to lose weight. I've had various personal challenges this year (mostly good ones) but I have gained 10 pounds since March 1. I've been trying an intermittent fasting diet and it is not working for me. I hate tracking calories but I guess that is what I'll have to do. I'm 62, 5' 9" and weigh 216 lbs. About 10 years ago I was up to 165. I used Jenny Craig and reached 180 lbs in a few years. I didn't stay there long and it's been a struggle ever since. I want to learn to do this on my own instead of going down that road again. One challenge for me is that I don't like to cook.
    Since I've just started with this app, can someone tell me if it's worth getting the premium version (other than no ads)?

Cheers

About premium: There’s a few of us who are new to MFP because our previous weight management website went away specifically because not enough people paid the $5 a month for premium.

So. While I am able to afford it, I will pay for premium here. To do my little part to keep the service available to myself and anyone else who is unable to afford it.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Very cool, @AnnPT77. Love your adventurous nature!

We have gone hiking at night under the full moon. And wading rivers for fishing. Being out in the dark adds a level of excitement to the experience.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    We did this fun thing at the rowing club on Sunday night, so I'm sharing it here. Monday would be the full moon, so it was nearly full at the time. We launched the rowing barge - it's like rowing your living room, rectangular, about the same size, equally stable, about as fast - for a night-time row under the moon after dark.

This is a photo, with my fellow rowers faces edited out in the photo, because I didn't ask their permission to post, but me (unmasked) in front right. We put glow sticks and battery lights all over this peculiar craft, rowed it for a bit over 5K, then went back to the boathouse (a pole barn, with a dirt floor, so don't picture anything glamorous!) for potluck snacks.

Many - I think most - of the rowers were over 60, several in 60s, some 70s, one over 80 - the guy one seat behind me, on left, in the greenish yellow shirt.

So fun!

wq1a2dqy8cog.jpg

Very cool!
  • healhierhappiness
    healhierhappiness Posts: 101 Member
    Hi Sally!! You sound a lot like me. Im 64 with some physical challenges, and I love to paint and draw. Im back to tracking my food after a one month break from here. Good luck to you
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Thanks for sharing that video, @sijomial. Anything that encourages people to remain active is a good thing! 👍
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,239 Member
    Good luck Nette54R, I am sure you will get there.
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Greetings to all new to this group. I have found so much motivation just from this group alone. There is always someone out there to encourage when I am discouraged and ready to give up. No matter how slow the journey may be someday we all get to goal of we keep at it. Like most, I sure can gain it faster than lose it. Everyone, have a great week, be kind to yourself and others and remember we are more than a number on the scals 😀😀

• SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Checking in.

Glad to see Kathy's new chemo routine has seemed to change things for the better. I hope it helps her feel better, and eases things for you a bit. Your dog must be loving all the walking attention, it is wonderful to have something else to focus on. Hugs to both of you!