Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pfizer for teens?

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Yes, sheahughes - SA public health employees must have flu vaccine, mmr, hepatitis b, varicella, whooping cough ( or immunity proven by serology where relevant) people in relevant industries need Q fever vaccine, yellow fever vaccine is mandatory for travellers to relevant countries, childhood vaccines to schedule required for family tax benifit and child care rebate and child care admission, employees and visitors to Aged Care facilities must have flu vaccine, employees of Aged Care facilities must have had at least 1covid dose by Sept 17th

Vaccine requirements are nothing new - not sure why construction workers think it shouldn't apply to them :*
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Apparently National Cabinet agreed that vaccination is voluntary except in high risk cases (according to my local MP) but Vic state government is obviously deviating from this.

I agree that the vaccine is probably safer than getting Covid (I've had both doses) but I just don't feel it's my right to demand a construction worker be vaccinated if they're uncomfortable with it. If I'm vaccinated and healthy then it's not my business what they do. It's the tolerance paradox I suppose.
  • sheahughes
    sheahughes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    naomi8888 wrote: »
    Apparently National Cabinet agreed that vaccination is voluntary except in high risk cases (according to my local MP) but Vic state government is obviously deviating from this.

I agree that the vaccine is probably safer than getting Covid (I've had both doses) but I just don't feel it's my right to demand a construction worker be vaccinated if they're uncomfortable with it. If I'm vaccinated and healthy then it's not my business what they do. It's the tolerance paradox I suppose.

I heard on ABC News and have seen stats on twitter that the construction workers are required by VIC to be vaxxed because there are more cases in the VIC construction industry than currently in the whole of Australia's aged care sector, so that would imply that it is a high risk case?

I know I wouldn't be paying a tradie to work on my property if they weren't insured and I guess vaccinations are like insurance? The vaccine is minimising the risk to the tradie and those around them? Maybe insurers will start requiring their policy holders to be insured- all it would take is one person who gets sick from an unvaccinated tradie to sue them and I imagine vaccinations would become policy.

I would be interested to see stats on construction workers who have had vaccinations for overseas travel, work in other industries - do tradies who work on health construction sites/building maintenance need to be vaccinated as health workers do? How many construction workers have their kids vaccinated to continue receiving FTB A & B, child care subsidy etc?

Basically, they are making the situation worse. Protesting with violence like they are is only turning people against them. Their own union (CFMEU) seems to support the vaccination requirements. I am not surprised to witness they way the media spoke about the BLM protests compared to the construction workers protests. Shameful.
  • naomi8888
    Options
    sheahughes wrote: »

I heard on ABC News and have seen stats on twitter that the construction workers are required by VIC to be vaxxed because there are more cases in the VIC construction industry than currently in the whole of Australia's aged care sector, so that would imply that it is a high risk case?

I know I wouldn't be paying a tradie to work on my property if they weren't insured and I guess vaccinations are like insurance? The vaccine is minimising the risk to the tradie and those around them? Maybe insurers will start requiring their policy holders to be insured- all it would take is one person who gets sick from an unvaccinated tradie to sue them and I imagine vaccinations would become policy.

I would be interested to see stats on construction workers who have had vaccinations for overseas travel, work in other industries - do tradies who work on health construction sites/building maintenance need to be vaccinated as health workers do? How many construction workers have their kids vaccinated to continue receiving FTB A & B, child care subsidy etc?

Basically, they are making the situation worse. Protesting with violence like they are is only turning people against them. Their own union (CFMEU) seems to support the vaccination requirements. I am not surprised to witness they way the media spoke about the BLM protests compared to the construction workers protests. Shameful.

No, actually there were only 300-500 cases connected to construction and this is in a workforce of 300,000 so it's a very low rate. As for healthcare building sites I don't think it would be an issue because they wouldn't be interacting with any healthcare workers. No one is condoning the violence at protests but I don't think we should be so quick to take away freedom of choice.

Overall, I think the feeling in Victoria is overwhelmingly one of frustration. We've now been named the world's most locked down city and I feel like the Premier has actually lost his mind. He's so quick to punish anyone that dares defy him. Parents were gathering at outdoor playgrounds to chat while the kids played (the only places open) and he swiftly shut them down. Then construction workers protested at the Union headquarters - that night he announced a two week immediate shutdown of the entire industry. A lot of those original protesters were ACTUALLY protesting against the mandatory vaccine although they had themselves been vaccinated. I guess everyone is just running out of patience here and now the demonstrations have kind of been hijacked. It's a shame that hundreds of thousands of construction workers are off for two weeks because of this knee jerk government reaction.

*sorry, you can probably sense my frustration after such a long lockdown...
  • naomi8888
    Options
    Hi Ann, yep it's complicated and as you say some people can't get vaccinated but there are a lot of people that can also do things to improve their health and free up ICU beds (for as you pointed out pancreatitis, gallstones, heart attack) too and they don't.

I'm unfortunately in the most locked down city in the world so after 236 days in lockdown I am just past worrying about these things. We're getting close to our 80% fully vaccinated rate which means an end to lockdown (apparently) and at that point I don't care what other people are doing, that's their problem - let's just start living again.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Yes sheahughes - you have possibly heard the saying ' vaccination is a victim of its own success' which basically means what you are saying - because vaccines work so well, people don't see the diseases they are protecting against , or at least don't see them at full potency, so wrongly think the vaccine is more of a risk than the disease
  • paperpudding
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi Ann, yep it's complicated and as you say some people can't get vaccinated but there are a lot of people that can also do things to improve their health and free up ICU beds (for as you pointed out pancreatitis, gallstones, heart attack) too and they don't.

I'm unfortunately in the most locked down city in the world so after 236 days in lockdown I am just past worrying about these things. We're getting close to our 80% fully vaccinated rate which means an end to lockdown (apparently) and at that point I don't care what other people are doing, that's their problem - let's just start living again.

A lot of people, including myself have genetic issues we were born with for which "doing something about our health" doesn't do anything and we could easily require intensive care. I'm fit and exercise regularly and eat nutritiously, but my issues are genetic and I could require intensive care if anything goes wonky. Also, car accidents and a myriad of other things could land you in intensive care beyond it just being people not taking care of themselves.

Many ICU units across the USA have no beds available because they are filled with unvaccinated COVID patients. We aren't at that point in my state as we have a high vaccination rate and have pockets around the state with a lot of unvaxed population...but we are more full than normal and around 96% of COVID patients are unvaxed and they're the one's taking up the beds.

And the biggest risk factor is age.
    Obviously why countries prioritised older people first for vaccination.

What does poster suggest those people do about that, to help themselves?
    I don't think they can make themselves be younger.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If someone is unvaccinated, yup, they're putting others at risk. And not just obese women in mobility scooters eating at McDonald's, whose complete medical history you're somehow imagining, I guess? Because even the obese scooter ladies deserve to get really sick, maybe die?

OK.

While maybe not your intent, this sounds to me like we should treat the unvaxxed as lepers. In fact, getting vaxxed is more about reducing their risk of hospitalization and death, not the spread.

Even the vaccine makers don't claim it reduces spread, they claim it reduces symptomatic illness (less hospitalization and death)
  • KeithBarrows
    KeithBarrows Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I, my wife and our (adult) son are NOT vaxxed. All of us got Covid early (before tests, before vaxs). All of us live in a densely populated area. All of us have been subjected to dozens of people who tested positive. All of us have NOT gotten sick again. There is something to say about a Natural Immunity! 13x better than the vax according to latest, and largest, review of infection done to date.

Just remember, there are about 37 million people in the USA alone who have tested positive, were never hospitalized and are now carrying a Natural Immunity to Covid.

I am NOT advocating skipping the vax. If you at all feel you need it - GO GET IT! Just be aware that there are 37 million of us that no longer feel we need something that nature already gave us.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I, my wife and our (adult) son are NOT vaxxed. All of us got Covid early (before tests, before vaxs). All of us live in a densely populated area. All of us have been subjected to dozens of people who tested positive. All of us have NOT gotten sick again. There is something to say about a Natural Immunity! 13x better than the vax according to latest, and largest, review of infection done to date.

Just remember, there are about 37 million people in the USA alone who have tested positive, were never hospitalized and are now carrying a Natural Immunity to Covid.

I am NOT advocating skipping the vax. If you at all feel you need it - GO GET IT! Just be aware that there are 37 million of us that no longer feel we need something that nature already gave us.

Give us your "study".

This recent story with CDC numbers published last week disagrees:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/29/health/covid-vaccine-protects-better-previous-infection/index.html