Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    steveko89 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Fundamentally, the below data doesn't make sense. I did a carb increase (not a refeed) and mini diet break this weekend. Put calories up from 1800 to around 2200 and went from 50-80g carbs to 150g and my weight has had some big drops. Decided to keep my carbs higher to see how things go.

Side note: i am feeling super lean as well.

qvdwgg511t80.jpg

Maybe dropped off some accumulated cortisol?

Certainly possible. Definitely doesn't help that I don't sleep well (6 hours most nights). But ironically this bigger drop also coincides with both my kids and wife getting strep throat. So weirder things 😂
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    edited August 2021
    hor0mygfsa0v.png

A not terrible month of August, especially the past two weeks. I just started the third meso of the RP Men’s physique template after 2 weeks of deload coinciding with vacation over the weekend of the 21st. Ideally, I’d get to see something in the 160s before I start another lean bulk, that’d would be the first time to crack 170 since 2015

28 minutes later... boss's boss is retiring, I've already had two donuts
  • psuLemon
    hor0mygfsa0v.png

A not terrible month of August, especially the past two weeks. I just started the third meso of the RP Men’s physique template after 2 weeks of deload coinciding with vacation over the weekend of the 21st. Ideally, I’d get to see something in the 160s before I start another lean bulk, that’d would be the first time to crack 170 since 2015

28 minutes later... boss's boss is retiring, I've already had two donuts

Great job! And i can understand on the donuts 😂
  • batman4121
    batman4121 Posts: 15 Member
    The best way to cut is not to bulk in the first place… maingaining is they way to go.
  • psuLemon
    edited September 2021
    batman4121 wrote: »
    The best way to cut is not to bulk in the first place… maingaining is they way to go.

Thanks?

Also, best is determined by the person's goals and timeframe. Your path and someone else's aren't the same.

I don't disagree that recomp is a solid solution but it also tends the favor those who are consistent with diet and training. I have seen a lot of people fail and "wasted" a year trying to execute, especially if they are natty.
  • steveko89
    Last few weeks have been very consistent and showing a nice trend. Observed TDEE for the year and 3-week tracking right at 2700 still so the increase during my 2020 lean bulk seems here to stay. Coincidentally my sleep has been pretty terrible, in quantity mostly. All self-imposed, revenge bedtime procrastination has been a struggle to the tune of several hours most nights.

ozasy37kj663.jpeg
  • Lockhart71084
    Lockhart71084 Posts: 80 Member
    Trying to build my leg work them 2 time a week
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited September 2021
    Just checking in to say had to stop reverse diet (June time) as was extraordinarily ravenous. It was not compatible with performance and strength for me....so weight stayed stable at around 67 kg for 3 months eating intuitively....yes, no tracking for me now....and trying a short cut to head down to weight class weight (under 63 kg) to see if I can do it without being too obsessive about things...working so far am down to 65.5 kg...this week....

So it looks like off season will be 67 kg and then an easy-ish cut to 62 kg or slightly lower for competition time. Am thinking of doing powerlifting comp next year, my left knee is knackered (ACL and meniscus damage again, like right knee a few years back), so rehabbing, bodybuilding for a bit and then going to build strength back up for last strongwoman push next year (national masters and U63 kg national qualifiers)
  • psuLemon
    edited September 2021
    v6p2ansdm1lg.jpeg

Here is my 4 week trend. Overall, things are progressing. The huge spike was due to a weekend away with my family at the in laws (they live at the beach). I am only 4 lbs from my all time low. So working hard not to *kitten* that up. I think once I hit my low weight I will probably do a refeed.

I am 60% the Jeff Cavaliers Beast program (full body split). I have to say, i am rather impressed. It's definitely geared more towards athletes vs a typical powerlifter or body builder, but i find it refreshing. I especially love the regeneration days. These are days where you focus mainly on corrective exercises for areas that typically see injury. Its definitely helping to alleviate my back issues and shoulder issues. It has me squating and deadlifting again which it's been a long time (around pre pandemic). DL is at 285x4 and Squat at 245x4. I see that as a huge win.
  • steveko89
    v6p2ansdm1lg.jpeg

Here is my 4 week trend. Overall, things are progressing. The huge spike was due to a weekend away with my family at the in laws (they live at the beach). I am only 4 lbs from my all time low. So working hard not to *kitten* that up. I think once I hit my low weight I will probably do a refeed.

I am 60% the Jeff Cavaliers Beast program (full body split). I have to say, i am rather impressed. It's definitely geared more towards athletes vs a typical powerlifter or body builder, but i find it refreshing. I especially love the regeneration days. These are days where you focus mainly on corrective exercises for areas that typically see injury. Its definitely helping to alleviate my back issues and shoulder issues. It has me squating and deadlifting again which it's been a long time (around pre pandemic). DL is at 285x4 and Squat at 245x4. I see that as a huge win.

Keep it going, man! I might have to check out that program after the RP MPT. A previous knock I've heard on Jeff is that he's too injury-phobic, though as I get older the less I feel like that's problematic.

Likewise, I'm staying on track fairly well still shooting for getting under 170. Trend broke under 173 this morning and the scale seem to flirt with the 171s before settling on 172.2 today.
  • psuLemon
    v6p2ansdm1lg.jpeg

Keep it going, man! I might have to check out that program after the RP MPT. A previous knock I've heard on Jeff is that he's too injury-phobic, though as I get older the less I feel like that's problematic. [\b]

Likewise, I'm staying on track fairly well still shooting for getting under 170. Trend broke under 173 this morning and the scale seem to flirt with the 171s before settling on 172.2 today.

Yea, it's definitely see how one would think that. And you can definitely attribute that to his PT background. Whether its valid can certainly be debated. And if you would have asked me 5 years ago, i would have probably thought he was injuy phobic. Now, i am enjoying it since hmI had a string of injuries. My shoulder got hurt from a child jumping but my back pain stems from an over powering glute max. I was doing a lot of squats but not much ab/adduction work. The slight shifts ended up causing radiating back issues. Overall, i still have great squat form except a bit of hyper-extension on my back.

With all the said, it seems like BEAST is probably his best program. I have read programs like Old School Iron and Inferno Size, and Monster Maker are a bit tedious. Although, if you like repetition, than it can be a good thing. I am going to run a second round of Beast. Its designed with 3 levels and i am doing the middle tier. So one or two rounds of level 3 should be good. And that can get me about 9 months on the program.
  • _xsrs_84
    _xsrs_84 Posts: 16 Member
    edited September 2021
    I’m wondering when I should stop my bulk and begin cutting. Any advice? 37, F, lifting for less than a year. Started eating around 400-500 above maintenance in April, so 5 months. Gains were slow the first couple of months until I cut back cardio, added creatine, and started lifting 5 days instead of 6… and then I gradually but steadily gained 10 lbs. Definitely have gained a surprising amount of muscle, but also noticing a bit of fat accumulating over abs and hips. I don’t have an accurate way to estimate BF% but my (uneducated) guess based on pictures online (inaccurate at best I know) would be ~22-23%. My hesitance to stop the bulk is that I’m so excited about the gains and want to keep them coming!

Any advice? Does it sound like I’m gaining too quickly? Should I scale back by a couple hundred calories instead of a true cut and see what happens? Any thoughts appreciated. :)
  • steveko89
    _xsrs_84 wrote: »
    I’m wondering when I should stop my bulk and begin cutting. Any advice? 37, F, lifting for less than a year. Started eating around 400-500 above maintenance in April, so 5 months. Gains were slow the first couple of months until I cut back cardio, added creatine, and started lifting 5 days instead of 6… and then I gradually but steadily gained 10 lbs. Definitely have gained a surprising amount of muscle, but also noticing a bit of fat accumulating over abs and hips. I don’t have an accurate way to estimate BF% but my (uneducated) guess based on pictures online (inaccurate at best I know) would be ~22-23%. My hesitance to stop the bulk is that I’m so excited about the gains and want to keep them coming!

Any advice? Does it sound like I’m gaining too quickly? Should I scale back by a couple hundred calories instead of a true cut and see what happens? Any thoughts appreciated. :)

Personally, I don't think you're gaining too quickly. Were I in your position I'd probably stay the course until mid-October, switch to maintenance through the end of the calendar year and start a cut in January.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    edited September 2021
    _xsrs_84 wrote: »

Unless you're a competitor it's totally up to you whether to continue bulking. Your bf% is well within a healthy range and you're happy with your gains so I say keep doing what you're doing. Also, the holiday season is fast approaching and cutting with all that delicious holiday food around isn't fun! ;)

You could certainly try cutting back on the calories if you're concerned about your rate of fat gain, just make sure you keep the protein up around 2.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. And be aware you can make gains even in a slight calorie deficit if you keep the protein up and aren't down to something like a competition level of body fat. The gains won't be as fast but you will make gains, particularly since you're still relatively new to resistance training. Anyway, most of us that aren't competitors generally base that decision on how we feel about our appearance. If I can live with the fat I see in the mirror, and I'm not at an unhealthy bf%, I keep bulking.

And feel free to hop into the bulking thread. It's not quite as popular as this one but it's pretty active.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10810663/time-to-gain-anyone-running-a-bulk/p1
  • psuLemon
    Here is my one months worth of progress. Trending really well.

8mfowwcef7fs.jpg
  • dharbolt
    dharbolt Posts: 15 Member
    those are some very colorful balls
  • psuLemon
    dharbolt wrote: »
    those are some very colorful balls

😆 . Its because I just bought yellow golf balls.
  • psuLemon
    Refeed weekend coming!!!
  • psuLemon
    Refeed weekend coming!!!

Weekend turned into a maintenance weekend (well past several 4 days) instead of a traditional refeed.

On the NSV, i just hit 305 lbx4 of deadlift. What is even bigger is I am almost completely back pain free now. So that DL PR was the first time in 2 years to hit those numbers and being pain free.

So suffice to say, AthleanX is definitely beneficial for injury recovery.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Great news on the pain free deadlifts
    Especially after 2 years, are you going to persevere with the dl now it’s not causing any pain ?