The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,154 Member
    Went to the library to get some books. I found one that I wanted to sign out... called "Mastering the Addicted Brain " by Walter Ling. When I went to the self checkout all my books checked out fine, except this one. It beeped when I put it under the barcode scanner and the screen said "give this to librarian to fix". I was so embarrassed that I walked it over to the worker and he had to fix it. I felt like he knew that I am addicted now. LOL

The book was short and quick.

Here are some nuggets:
    1. Once triggered, the drug memories are rehearsed and reenacted. So the memories become present as if they are being lived.
    2. Someone becomes addicted because of the drug effects, but the person stays addicted because they remember those effects with a changed brain.
    3. One misunderstanding is the believe that cravings occur because the addict cannot get drugs. Actually, the addict craves drugs when he/she knows they CAN get them.

That's all for now! Have a great day!
  • RubyRed427
    BeIn2day wrote: »
    @BeIn2day ~ I agree, "Sober IS better" AND today is a new day!! It's all part of the journey and remember to repeat these words to yourself when you begin the boxing match in your head, "I am EXACTLY where I need to be right now!!" It helps me to reset to the present and the blessings of being me...remember the blessings of being YOU!! No more ~ No less <3

Thank you Lorraine 😊 🤗💖
    No worries- get back on track. I agree there is a little voice that tells us to drink and we hear it. So, if you're 99 percent of the time sober, you are doing amazing!
  • RubyRed427
    Hi 👋

I had a drink on Friday night after work. I totally get it when they say "relapse happens way before you take a drink. It happens in your mind first."

I knew I was going to drink. But I'm not being hard on myself. Just getting back on the wagon.

Some good things that came of it ~

I was quick to realise I just don't have the same level of excitement before drinking. I wasn't really looking forward to it. I felt like it was just more out of habit than anything else.

I didn't actually get much enjoyment from drinking the alcohol. It just doesn't taste nice. I was drinking to become intoxicated. Not for the taste.

I hated the stinking hangover.

I realise I could have had a much more productive weekend and done something else that didn't involve a single drop of alcohol to make myself feel better.

Sober is better ! 😌

Just caught up with your post. Ahh the hangover is such a bummer.
    Back on track though!
    <3
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,476 Member
    @Beka3695 You can do this. If you need a boost, watch some of the sober school blogs. Kate makes so much sense. thesoberschool.com then click on Kate's blog.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,476 Member
    @Bein2day. Hugs to you. We all know how you feel. I am going to a college sorority reunion in Florida tomorrow for a long weekend and I am looking forward and dreading it at the same time. The temptations are going to be high...we were hard partying girls in college. I want to keep that wine witch at bay because I know I can't moderate. My plan is to stick with NA beers and hope no one pressures me or I feel so much like a dork I cave. I can tell you right now that if I embarrass myself at this once in a lifetime event, it will not have been worth it.
  • tarunnurat
    tarunnurat Posts: 8 Member
    tarunnurat wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to give up alcohol for a month or two. At least for now. It's become one of those things that's only very slightly more fun than being sober, and has far too many negatives that come with it.

I also don't smoke daily, but when I drink I lose control with the cigarettes, and my throat is so destroyed the next day because of it that I feel so stupid for having done something that gave me a mini buzz for 2 mins at best. It just feels so right at this point to say no and finally feel free in some way that I didn't even know waa imprisoning me before.

The same happens to me with the cigarettes. I really hate smoking & how it makes me feel. Another great reason for me to steer clear of the ethanol !! (Buying cigarettes is SO expensive, as well. Here in UK it's like £10 per pack).

That's crazy expensive! I only ever bum cigarettes from whoever I'm drinking with, but £10 would probably make me do a quadruple take.

Here cigarettes are really cheap and you can also buy them loose instead of buying whole packs. Luckily even the smell of someone else smoking has started putting me off.
  • RubyRed427
    @Beka3695 Keep that momentum going, because if you drink, you'll find nothing has changed. You will be back at square one.
    So proud of you!!! Keep it up, friend~ <3
  • RubyRed427
    @BeIn2day HA! The hangover movie is so funny! That gif is great! He is missing a tooth in that scene.
  • RubyRed427
    tarunnurat wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to give up alcohol for a month or two. At least for now. It's become one of those things that's only very slightly more fun than being sober, and has far too many negatives that come with it.

I also don't smoke daily, but when I drink I lose control with the cigarettes, and my throat is so destroyed the next day because of it that I feel so stupid for having done something that gave me a mini buzz for 2 mins at best. It just feels so right at this point to say no and finally feel free in some way that I didn't even know waa imprisoning me before.

Best wishes. Get some AF book to motivate, watch videos, journal... But ultimately take it one day at a time.
    Lately, wine gives me a sore throat the next day. So, I can see how cigarettes do that to yours.
  • RubyRed427
    10 days sober today.

Think I need to go back to the basics and really focus on my sobriety. Think I let it slip and the wine witch was all too eager to cast her spell 😬 I hope I can just learn from my recent slip ups. I won't give up hope. Just keep trying.

Don't give up hope!