WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2021

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,776 Member
    Options
    Michele - I’ve seen your Snow White and 7 dwarves. I think you do a lot of detailed work. 🙂 I like the pencil mark idea though. I’m enjoying these classes but the owner doesn’t do much teaching. I’m really not sure why she charges so much for them.
    Our dollar stores sell individual cups like you are looking for.

Terri - I see your Michaela is spelt the proper way. When our daughter named our Michaela one of our nieces said it wasn’t correct it should be Mikayla. We shook our heads. Michaela’s mom’s name we spelt Lauryn because my husband had to correct people how to spell his name so thought he would pass on the tradition. His name is Rodger.

Lisa - my Grandson loves Nailed It on Netflix. He has a wonderful sense of humour.
    Thank you for the compliments on the ornaments. It’s nice seeing you back more regularly.

Pip - great photo of Yogi.

I read Grammie’s 1981 diary last evening. It was a tough read as her only brother passed. He lived in the house on the “homestead” as a bachelor all of his life. Her eldest sister and their eldest nephew were the executors of the estate but the sister turned it over to her shortly after his passing. It was a task she did not want, but felt obliged to take. It was still not all settled and the house not sold at the end of the year. At one point she was willing to let the house and all the land go for 20K just to be rid of it. The couple couldn’t get the money together.
    It’s like a novel, I need to see what happens next. I do know the house sold and is still standing.

I have my pedicure appointment at 1 today so will take our Grandson home and then go to it.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Joining.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    it is POURING here still with bigger storms hitting later tonight and tomorrow. 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches of rain just north of us- haven't seen the totals for our immediate area yet. The big concern is the landslides in the fire damaged areas. They are calling it an "atmospheric river"
    Husband is gone for the day, won't be home until really late tonight.
    I have a little computer work to do and then fun things like clean out the two fridges-they are too full to put anything in them.
    I want to try a new recipe for cheese bread. I found it on FB, shared with former hubby- he tried it and said it was very good and very easy. Like Red Lobster biscuits- just added some garlic to it.
    If the rain stops for a little bit later this afternoon- need to hem some scrub pants for her.
    Will do some more cooking- saute onions and peppers for fajita quesidillas for dh and his mom- I don't like them but they do and I have veggies that need to be used up.

Listening to church now. Hope to be back IN church sometime soon.

Around here- honey bees are welcomed by everyone with many beekeepers that will come get swarms for free.
    It is the yellow jackets/wasps that are NOT welcome-those are very aggressive and will sting without being provoked. That is what gets them sprayed.

Debbie
    Napa ValleyCA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ((( Sue ))) - So sorry for the loss of your mom. It is good to know that the service went well. I hope your flight home goes smoothly. ❤️

Katla
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Terri
    Love that perspective - sometimes we use familiar phrases and don't look at the underlying premise. But then, when I'm with y'all, all perspectives are available on the spectrum from the optimist to the pessimist.

Rebecca

You look so much like your beautiful mother! I continue to hope that your youngest will understand that he needs to reach out. And like you, anytime I put a roast in the oven or in the crockpot, there's a veggie underneath. Potatoes that cook in the juices from the roast look very dark, but taste like heaven. And, super easy. Every photo of Athena is a good one.

Beth
    Hope your son's interview went really well.

Tracey
    I swear, I've watched every food competition that is available on Prime, Netflix, Discovery+, and anything else I can find access to. Can't watch Top Chef or anything Gordon Ramsay does, though, as they make me tense--too much drama. Especially love the Great British Baking Show; it's so much less cutthroat than most of the American competitions. Love the ornaments you're creating, love all the pictures of your grands.

Michele
    Hope the cut wasn't too serious!

Machka

Your profile picture is wonderful.

Nothing much planned for today--I try to make sure I don't plan things for the weekend, as my husband genuinely prefers to simply be home. He has a tough physical job, and the weekends are his time to relax. I do my best to make sure he can, other than the grocery shopping on Saturday morning.

Egg, on the other hand, apparently thinks I'm up to no good. I was emptying the dryer and folding clothes in the laundry room, and she came to the door, sat down, and glared at me, seriously, for ten minutes straight. When I get up again, I'll check her food and water. Cranky little kitty.

Achy and uncomfortable this morning, but this too, shall pass.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Awe, thank you. You know when I went in August to visit my eldest sister Pam, I decided one night to make her dinner. So it was just some sausages and hash brown potatoes, and scrambled eggs. So I was flitting here and there because its not always the easiest to cook in someone else's kitchen and she started getting teary over on the couch. She said, " you just look so much like Mom"! What a comfort this is to hear! She was really tired, and was just going to have cereal, so I was like...you need a hot meal. It was also the fact that someone was doing for her, something that doesn't happen very often. I wish I lived closer to her and could pamper her more often!
    I got a card for youngest son, and my eldest son here wrote a nice letter enclosed were some stickers to put on his laptop, or car. It was sweet. Granted I gave him the paper and told him to, but still he did it without prompting. I know I know, he's a grown *kitten* man, but I still cater to him a wee bit. We don't do much on the weekends either, poor son has a physically demanding job as well, so he pretty much sleeps until 1 or 2 pm. We try to keep a fairly quiet house, don't do laundry until we hear him in the shower, etc. So no wild sexual escapades! *snorts*😂😂
    Rebecca
    Washington
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all,

Awe, thank you. You know when I went in August to visit my eldest sister Pam, I decided one night to make her dinner. So it was just some sausages and hash brown potatoes, and scrambled eggs. So I was flitting here and there because its not always the easiest to cook in someone else's kitchen and she started getting teary over on the couch. She said, " you just look so much like Mom"! What a comfort this is to hear! She was really tired, and was just going to have cereal, so I was like...you need a hot meal. It was also the fact that someone was doing for her, something that doesn't happen very often. I wish I lived closer to her and could pamper her more often!
    I got a card for youngest son, and my eldest son here wrote a nice letter enclosed were some stickers to put on his laptop, or car. It was sweet. Granted I gave him the paper and told him to, but still he did it without prompting. I know I know, he's a grown *kitten* man, but I still cater to him a wee bit. We don't do much on the weekends either, poor son has a physically demanding job as well, so he pretty much sleeps until 1 or 2 pm. We try to keep a fairly quiet house, don't do laundry until we hear him in the shower, etc. So no wild sexual escapades! *snorts*😂😂
    Rebecca
    Washington

Last weekend when I was with mom I made sure to cook all the meals(I always do) and she was so appreciative of every one, especially the dinner Sunday night. I roasted two chickens(we got them at food program so I cooked her's and mine, and brought mine home). Steamed some broccoli she had picked the day before, a green salad and a couple baked potatoes to share with my friend that was out helping us pick the tomatoes. Mom can't eat many things right now- on an anti-inflamitory diet so no tomatoes/potatoes/peppers/dairy/caffeine/sugar/grains/.....
    So I made a nice comforting meal for us after a very long day working in the garden until it was raining too much to pick any more.

Meals don't have to be fancy, they just need to be made with love and others will enjoy them

I love cooking, especially when it is appreciated. To be able to do that for mom makes me feel so good. Need to go up more often and do it for her. And to make sure I clean up after my self-(something my sister never did- cooked a lot for clients but then left the dishes for mom- sometimes there was left overs for mom, sometimes not)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebecca – We all need to vent now and then. You have good reasons. :flowerforyou: Your cooking undoubtedly keeps your menfolk happy at home. Beef and rice stew sounds divine. :smiley:

Beth – Fingers crossed for your son. I hope his interview went very well. :star:

Rita – Congrats on subbing! I hope you will enjoy it and get repeat calls. Knowing the school & kids is a huge asset. I started my teaching career as a volunteer mom at my own children’s elementary school. It opened a door for me. I went back to college to renew my teaching certificate. I taught in several elementary schools & I retired as an 8th grade social studies teacher. I enjoyed my fellow teachers and students. :smiley:

Pip – I love the photo of your dogs. It looks like Yogi was the puppy in the group. :heart:

Allie – We have two grocery stores in town that will take your order and bring it to the car for you. Several people we know use this service. I prefer to go in to the stores and make my own choices. DH & I always wear our masks in public. Our Walmart is smaller than any other I’ve been in. They do not have fresh produce available. :ohwell: I hope you are able to stay warm enough to be comfortable. :smiley:

Machka – Thanks for the bee information. DH & I cherish our honey bees, and plant things they will enjoy. We do not appreciate yellow jackets. :noway: A colony of them tried to nest in our garage attic. We blocked the crack they were coming in. That was a few years ago and we haven’t had yellow jacket trouble since then. Honey bees visit our flowers and we cherish them. Fall weather changes have sent the bees to safety. :star:

Barbie – Enjoy your dog walking time with your Sunday walking friend. I miss our sweet old dog like crazy. He was a great companion and a big loss. We hope to adopt a new pup after New Years. It is a long time to wait but walking a new pup will be fun. :heart:

Heather – Lovely that you were able to walk with your DH and enjoy the khaki color of the waves. :bigsmile:

I’m having a lovely and cozy morning watching the weather and sitting with DH.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,638 Member
    Options
    B)
  • dlfk202000
    edited October 2021
    Options
    7w20448fd9d7.png

and heavier storms to hit late tonight and early in the morning.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,740 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    What an Afternoon we had ,absolutely stunning fall weather, we had pictures professionally taken at an estuary down in Old Lyme, then went to Essex ,Susan and Trudy went into a shop i stayed in the car ,we drove through Some small towns down near the shoreline and went to a pizza place in Chester where Trudy and Susan both used to live.. shared a small pizza and a fennel salad ,then walked to a couple shops, we road the ferry across the river and drove through Gillettes castle and dropped Susan off to meet her friend as she was going to have dinner and see a show at the Goodspeed Opera house.. and we drove home,happy and exhausted.. im in jammies and hopefully will sleep well tonight..
    Lisa- sorry to hear your daughter is having troubles its so hard to see your kids having issues that you cant help solve..
    Its only 5:30 pm here and im hoping I can stay awake for awhile lol
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,592 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Housecleaning etc- vacuum, laundry, fold put away clothes, dust, pressure wash back patio- 199min = 924c