The no "BS" exercise instruction thread!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

My plan is to do Mon-Legs, Tues-Back, Wed-Shoulders, Thurs-Chest, Fri-Arms

I just finished up my workout today, and all I can say is...THANK YOU. 20 minutes and my chest is absolutely blasted. I was able to get in my lifting, a cardio session (only 30 minutes today, but that's because I'm on a challenge group this month and that took a while), AND calisthenics in under 90 minutes. I really appreciate your advice this is perfect for me.

That being said, it hurt like a @#%(*)#@%*)#@(%. I am very glad you're not my trainer, I think you'd make me cry! =)
    Ah but they'd be tears of joy.................................
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Nice. The only suggestion I would make is to put legs somewhere in the middle to break things up. Reason being is you've deidcated a day to arms at the end of the week and it's followed by, Back (biceps involved), Shoulders (Tri's involved), and Chest (Tri's again), your arms might be pretty fatigued by Friday. Just a suggestion, nothing wrong with that split by any means.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The PULLUP: Standing under the bar, jump up (or stand on a bench) and grip it with an overhand (palms facing forward) grip.
    Your hands should be a little wider than shoulder width apart. Your fingers should be doing the gripping, not your palms.
    Hang with straight arms, keeping your body braced. Bend your knees back and cross your ankles for greater balance.
    Looking at the bar, drive your elbows down, pulling your chest towards the bar in a smooth movement.
    Once your chin is above the bar, hold for 1 second then lower back down in a smooth and controlled motion.
    Repeat until you can't do any more (for the test) or until you complete your reps. If you know how many reps you want to do, you might find it easier counting down rather than up.

Tips:

Inhale on the way down or at the bottom of the pull up. Exhale whilst pulling up or at the top.
    Keep your core muscles braced throughout, this will take some pressure off your shoulders.
    Keep your shoulders back and down, drive your chest up.
    Proper form doesn't allow for cheating with momentum. Keep your legs and lower body as still as possible.
    Change your grip to work different muscles. A wider grip works your Lats more. The underhand (palms facing backward) grip (aka chin up) works your biceps more.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thank you!
    My pleasure
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Nice. The only suggestion I would make is to put legs somewhere in the middle to break things up. Reason being is you've deidcated a day to arms at the end of the week and it's followed by, Back (biceps involved), Shoulders (Tri's involved), and Chest (Tri's again), your arms might be pretty fatigued by Friday. Just a suggestion, nothing wrong with that split by any means.

You're right, I actually had a lot of trouble thinking about how to split up everything. What it came down to for me is that Legs is going to be by far my heaviest day. I want to have the weekend off from lifting so that all the muscles tied to my squat are fully rested. The one that I wasn't too sure about was shoulders and chest, I had originally had them reversed since shoulders tend to be lighter weight for me than chest, but ultimately decided against it. I have martial arts on Wednesday nights, and they occasionally have us do pushups ad nauseum. I know it's not good to plan on doing a chest day after blasting your chest through calisthenics the night before...but the truth of it is I'd rather my lift suffer and look good in class (my fiance is one of the instructors...so I'll be *%*#ed if I'm going to let someone else in the class top me!). Lastly arms...I actually like doing them when I'm already blasted, if I don't I don't really feel as much like I worked out as hard as I did the other days and I'm fine with doing higher weight and lower reps on those muscle groups (it works better for my ground fighting techniques).

Your advice is solid though, I'm just not sure if it'll work for my schedule. Thank you!
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about the tricep extensions ... I like that you can do them at home!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

You're right, I actually had a lot of trouble thinking about how to split up everything. What it came down to for me is that Legs is going to be by far my heaviest day. I want to have the weekend off from lifting so that all the muscles tied to my squat are fully rested. The one that I wasn't too sure about was shoulders and chest, I had originally had them reversed since shoulders tend to be lighter weight for me than chest, but ultimately decided against it. I have martial arts on Wednesday nights, and they occasionally have us do pushups ad nauseum. I know it's not good to plan on doing a chest day after blasting your chest through calisthenics the night before...but the truth of it is I'd rather my lift suffer and look good in class (my fiance is one of the instructors...so I'll be *%*#ed if I'm going to let someone else in the class top me!). Lastly arms...I actually like doing them when I'm already blasted, if I don't I don't really feel as much like I worked out as hard as I did the other days and I'm fine with doing higher weight and lower reps on those muscle groups (it works better for my ground fighting techniques).

Your advice is solid though, I'm just not sure if it'll work for my schedule. Thank you!

Yeah no problem. Finding a split that actually works within your life is very challenging in itself.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about the tricep extensions ... I like that you can do them at home!
    There are lots you can do at home if you modify. You don't need a gym to workout. Good for you.
  • chicco57
    Options
    I find that when Im using weights and trying to life a heavier weight than I normally use that I have problems with my left wrist is there anything I can do too strenthen this? Thanks
    They sell "grippers" at most sports stores to help build up the forearm strength which will help increase your wrist strength too. I'm assuming you're right handed so try doing some stuff with your left hand. For instance if you put groceries away, do it with the left hand. Clean a tub, use the left hand.

Just to let you know that I have been building up the strenth in my left hand using the grippers and its helped a lot..thanks for the info
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just to let you know that I have been building up the strenth in my left hand using the grippers and its helped a lot..thanks for the info
    That's good to hear. Always happy to help.
  • gracemleone
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    CALF RAISES: I believe that the structure of anything begins at the base. For us that would be from the feet up. One of the most important parts of our bodies that is neglected are the calves. If unconditioned, people sprain ankles easier, have foot problems (plantar fasciitis) and even balance issues. So whether you do them seated or standing here's how you want to do them.
    The key to any calf raise is to make sure that you get full contraction and extension. Contraction would be when your up on your toes at it's highest point possible and extension would be stretching the calf as far down as you can.Stand on the edge of a step. Or, if you have a step-aerobics platform, place two sets of risers underneath the platform. Stand tall with your abdominals pulled in, the balls of your feet firmly planted on the step, and your heels hanging over the edge. Rest your hands against a wall or a sturdy object for balance.If you're on a machine, use the support handles. Raise your heels a few inches above the edge of the step so that you’re on your tiptoes. Hold the position for a moment, and then lower your heels below the platform, feeling a stretch in your calf muscles. Stretch down low as you can an hold for a second. Again full range of motion will help with stretching and conditioning the calves.
    Don't bounce your reps and don't do half reps. You're better off just holding 1 sec in the top and bottom positions.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks for the info on here.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    CALF RAISES: I believe that the structure of anything begins at the base. For us that would be from the feet up. One of the most important parts of our bodies that is neglected are the calves. If unconditioned, people sprain ankles easier, have foot problems (plantar fasciitis) and even balance issues. So whether you do them seated or standing here's how you want to do them.
    The key to any calf raise is to make sure that you get full contraction and extension. Contraction would be when your up on your toes at it's highest point possible and extension would be stretching the calf as far down as you can.Stand on the edge of a step. Or, if you have a step-aerobics platform, place two sets of risers underneath the platform. Stand tall with your abdominals pulled in, the balls of your feet firmly planted on the step, and your heels hanging over the edge. Rest your hands against a wall or a sturdy object for balance.If you're on a machine, use the support handles. Raise your heels a few inches above the edge of the step so that you’re on your tiptoes. Hold the position for a moment, and then lower your heels below the platform, feeling a stretch in your calf muscles. Stretch down low as you can an hold for a second. Again full range of motion will help with stretching and conditioning the calves.
    Don't bounce your reps and don't do half reps. You're better off just holding 1 sec in the top and bottom positions.

Is there a benefit to doing single leg vs double for these?
  • lorettatat
    Options
    Bump I need to do these
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Is there a benefit to doing single leg vs double for these?
    Isolating any muscle by itself will help with focus on that particular muscle. I do it in standing calf raises.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    LEG EXTENSIONS:If you have knee issues, be very aware of how this exercise feels. If you feel any sharp pains in your knees, discontinue and see and orthropedist for an evaluation.

Sit in a Leg Extension machine with the pads over the top of your ankles and your back against the back pad. Your upper calves should be about half an inch from the seat pad and your knees even with the pivoting cam of the machine. Extend your legs up (straightening them), and squeeze at the top. As you bring the weight back down, do not allow your knees to go past 90 degrees. This will minimize knee stress.

Couple of tips: Do one set with your toes pointing straight, one with your toes pointed out, and one with your toes point in. This stresses different areas of the quadriceps.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump