Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Pfizer for teens?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    NVintage wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't get deleted for being political. It is a subject of health and fitness, though! Do you all think that the risks of covid outweigh the risks of adverse reactions to vaccine in pre-teens and teenagers? Is it worth it for healthy kids to be vaccinated?

ABSOLUTELY. Full stop.
  • KeithBarrows
    KeithBarrows Posts: 34 Member
    Quoting myself:
    @cmriverside - I will abstain from answering. My experience has shown all too vividly that no matter my answer I will be vilified. And that right there is enough of an answer.
    :lol: You mad?
    I'll answer this, but all the rest of your bizarre rant? No thanks.

Quod erat demonstrandum.
  • KeithBarrows
    KeithBarrows Posts: 34 Member
    write an irrational rant and then complain about people calling it an irrational rant.

Okay :*

<sigh/> Ok.

Still QED.

As a point of education:
    An ad hominem argument is a personal attack against the source of an argument, rather than against the argument itself. Essentially, this means that ad hominem arguments are used to attack opposing views indirectly, by attacking the individuals or groups that support these views.

Ad hominem arguments can take many forms, from basic name-calling to more complex rhetoric. For example, an ad hominem argument can involve simply insulting a person instead of properly replying to a point that they raised, or it can involve questioning their motives in response to their criticism of the current state of things.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    edited November 2021
    Why can you NOT sue for injury after receiving the jab? (That is a FIRST!)

No, it's not a first.

What IS the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    edited November 2021
    Moar explanation, I really feel like people just don't understand what is meant, whether through lack of comprehension or lack of information.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/10/covid-vocabulary-pandemic-words/620351/

In addition to clarifying a few commonly misused terms there are two long paragraphs in this article about Vaccine-Enhanced stronger immunity than just "natural."
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited November 2021
    I, my wife and our (adult) son are NOT vaxxed. All of us got Covid early (before tests, before vaxs). All of us live in a densely populated area. All of us have been subjected to dozens of people who tested positive. All of us have NOT gotten sick again. There is something to say about a Natural Immunity! 13x better than the vax according to latest, and largest, review of infection done to date.

Just remember, there are about 37 million people in the USA alone who have tested positive, were never hospitalized and are now carrying a Natural Immunity to Covid.

I am NOT advocating skipping the vax. If you at all feel you need it - GO GET IT! Just be aware that there are 37 million of us that no longer feel we need something that nature already gave us.

Give us your "study".

This recent story with CDC numbers published last week disagrees:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/29/health/covid-vaccine-protects-better-previous-infection/index.html

That link doesn't say what you think it does.
    • It only looks at a group hospitalized for COVID symptoms
    • It shows unvaxxed admissions are 5.5 times higher than vaxxed COVID Admissions
    • It didn't include any datapoints on natural immunity from prior infection

So, it supports the expectation that getting vaxxed reduces the chance of hospitalization (common knowledge). It doesn't compare natural immunity from prior infection with vaccination.

Maybe the journalist is an idiot, or was just tasked with doing a pro vaccination story and tried to make it fit as a slander at the Israeli study (which I'm not defending).

Myself, I've had COVID andx2 shots, need to schedule my booster. I also urge everyone to get vaxxed.

But for national policy, I think we should allow a mandate exemption for people who tested positive and recovered. This approach would undermine a key part of the anti-vaxx platform with minimal risk for the population.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Just published online yesterday from U.S. CDC (Centers for Disease Control) this report on the research -
    What is added by this report?

Among COVID-19–like illness hospitalizations among adults aged ≥18 years whose previous infection or vaccination occurred 90–179 days earlier, the adjusted odds of laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 among unvaccinated adults with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection were 5.49-fold higher than the odds among fully vaccinated recipients of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine who had no previous documented infection (95% confidence interval = 2.75–10.99).

What are the implications for public health practice?

All eligible persons should be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible, including unvaccinated persons previously infected with SARS-CoV-2.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7044e1.htm

Thanks for the link, it does support the vaxx is better at preventing hospitalization than prior infection!