Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211104-grave-concern-over-covid-in-europe-as-german-cases-soar

I never thought I would be reading this kind of headlines as we rush upon 2023.

Thankfully here in Kentucky USA currently there's no limits on gas and other fossil fuel purchases. Grocery stores are well stocked with no purchase limits. Death and hospitalizations had been on a steady decline but that may be about to change.

Wait, what? Did I fall asleep and miss a year again? :o

Yes, yes you did, Rumpelstiltskin.

Or maybe it's the Freudian way of letting us know we probably want to skip right past 2022 also.

I'm so afraid you're right.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211104-grave-concern-over-covid-in-europe-as-german-cases-soar

Thankfully here in Kentucky USA currently there's no limits on gas and other fossil fuel purchases. Grocery stores are welstocked with no purchase limits. Death and hospitalizations had been on a steady decline but that may be about to change.

Huh...I didn't realize that vaccine resistance continues to be such a problem worldwide.

Yes and the reason among health care workers is in part due to the lack scientific data where the net value of COVID-19 vaccines will positive or negative for our health over the next 50-75 years.

In my case before my first Moderna vaccine shot the Covid-19 blood clots side effects almost ended my life.

If I am bitten by a deadly poisonous snake I hope someone breaks the speed limit trying to get me to a place where I can get a shot. I realize that would put me and the others at risk of dying in a car accident but a potential death is easier deal with mentally than a certain death.

Medically I understand long term Covid-19 vaccinations may harm me and shorten my life expectancy. Yet just getting COVID-19 may cause the same risk.

Being 70 and the kids being 24 I wouldn't want to be tying up a ventilator that might save a young person's life.

COVID-19 vaccines I know help manage this Pandemic in the short run so to hades with the long term What Ifs!

https://youtu.be/-SYL-iU0E9Q

This is some new research to me.

This Dr is spreading misinformation.

Are you trying to say the study is bad, or his commentary on the research?

You can do better than just throwing out an ad hominem
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,854 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It's viruses that can hide in your body (like the chicken pox) and reemerge in a couple of decades to do more damage.

Or just hang out in your body forever, like the herpes simplex virus, and reappear periodically to be annoying. Says the woman who currently has a cold sore.

My imagined concern is another comparative. In cats, there is a feline coronavirus that is commonly caught. It manifests in the cat like a cold or the like. The cat recovers, but the virus lays dormant in the cat for life. What I recall is that stressors to the animal (aging, rehoming, other illnesses, etc) promote mutations in the virus. Certain mutations do not impact the animal a go undetected, but other mutations manifest as FIP which is essentially a fatal condition for the animal. I am sure there are much better explanations out there, but you can get the general idea. I am hoping that this COVID-19 virus does not share this trait.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »

Thankfully here in Kentucky USA currently there's no limits on gas and other fossil fuel purchases. Grocery stores are welstocked with no purchase limits. Death and hospitalizations had been on a steady decline but that may be about to change.

Huh...I didn't realize that vaccine resistance continues to be such a problem worldwide.

Yes and the reason among health care workers is in part due to the lack scientific data where the net value of COVID-19 vaccines will positive or negative for our health over the next 50-75 years.

In my case before my first Moderna vaccine shot the Covid-19 blood clots side effects almost ended my life.

If I am bitten by a deadly poisonous snake I hope someone breaks the speed limit trying to get me to a place where I can get a shot. I realize that would put me and the others at risk of dying in a car accident but a potential death is easier deal with mentally than a certain death.

Medically I understand long term Covid-19 vaccinations may harm me and shorten my life expectancy. Yet just getting COVID-19 may cause the same risk.

Being 70 and the kids being 24 I wouldn't want to be tying up a ventilator that might save a young person's life.

COVID-19 vaccines I know help manage this Pandemic in the short run so to hades with the long term What Ifs!

https://youtu.be/-SYL-iU0E9Q

This is some new research to me.

This Dr is spreading misinformation.

Are you trying to say the study is bad, or his commentary on the research?

I tried to listen to some of the video and read the paper. The paper is published in a journal run by a controversial publisher that has been criticized for shoddy peer review and predatory means of getting both studies and reviews, as well as far too many after-publishing corrections and retractions. The study is in vitro, and draws some pretty controversial conclusions. I couldn't really follow it, not sure if that's just my own lack of knowledge or an issue with the paper. I would want an active and experienced expert to explain it to me, if it's worthy of paying any attention to.

The you tuber has no discernible background in virology, immunology, or infectious disease, hasn't as far as I can tell practiced medicine in years and has no business taking an in vitro study just published by a controversial web site and "explaining" it to the general public as possibly showing that the vaccines may be harming people while presenting himself as a "doctor".

The focus should be on the study. Obvious bias is obvious.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited November 2021
    **edit, I'll put it in the ongoing Pfizer for kids thread.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    edited November 2021
    For any covid long haulers. Sorry couldn't reset to beginning.

https://youtu.be/JwjJs5ZHKJI
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It would be "lovely" if people who post video, podcast and other "appreciable time investment necessary to watch or read" links also include a short summary of what the link is about.

This is and remains a very informative thread.

And links that take quite a while to watch or read may well be of interest to many of us who went to benefit from the full nuanced discussion a link might present.

But I do feel that speculatively watching or reading every link is not something all of us are likely to do.

Going up thread a couple of pages how many hours worth of links do we find?

I agree. Also some links are to certain newspapers etc that you needs to subscribe to to read so a summary would be helpful so other know what it's about.