Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @SModa61 ! After posting I decided to listen to TWIV while I worked and Mondays epi was a Q&A with Dr Daniel Griffith and he talked about this :smiley:

He said there is an age based development process for the immune system which leads to the dosing differences. A woman said her son is 4 and 1/2 and big for his age so can he get the 5-11 shot early, and he said no, she should wait.

@kimny72 Thank you so much for the effort and getting me that explanation. There was a reason I asked my question here. <3 I knew I would get a helpful answer!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I am not aware of any vaccines that give different amounts based on the size of the recipient (as oppossed to the age of the recipient)

However differences in dosing requirements according to age are not a new thing - several vaccines have an adult and a paediatric version - eg Hep A, Hep B
    Flu vaccine also has an over 65's version

and several others have differences in spacing or number of doses required although each dose is not different - eg Gardisil, flu vaccine

of course like all such things there has to be a cut off point - although in reality, obviously it isnt a single point but a gradient.

Meaning, for example, I would never give a 20 year old the over 65's flu vaccine - but if it was all that was available I might give it somebody of 64.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Just curious, regarding the vaccines for 5-11 yo, has anyone heard what kinds of possible side effects it may have??

I'd google but as I've said before, I trust most of you much more than I'd trust random sites. :)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Just curious, regarding the vaccines for 5-11 yo, has anyone heard what kinds of possible side effects it may have??

I'd google but as I've said before, I trust most of you much more than I'd trust random sites. :)

In the trials, they said the kids had similar side effects to many adults...sore arms, headache, fever, but the symptoms were short-lived. As with adults, some had no effects.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211104-grave-concern-over-covid-in-europe-as-german-cases-soar

I never thought I would be reading this kind of headlines as we rush upon 2023.

Thankfully here in Kentucky USA currently there's no limits on gas and other fossil fuel purchases. Grocery stores are well stocked with no purchase limits. Death and hospitalizations had been on a steady decline but that may be about to change.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211104-grave-concern-over-covid-in-europe-as-german-cases-soar

Thankfully here in Kentucky USA currently there's no limits on gas and other fossil fuel purchases. Grocery stores are well stocked with no purchase limits. Death and hospitalizations had been on a steady decline but that may be about to change.

Huh...I didn't realize that vaccine resistance continues to be such a problem worldwide.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited November 2021
    Options

Wait, what? Did I fall asleep and miss a year again? :o

Now that you realize you're a year behind you can move twice as fast to catch up. :-)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    The vaccine is out of your system within a couple of weeks. There is absolutely no reason to think that there will be some kind of long term sinister effects. The rNA vaccines have to be kept so cold because they are fragile and break down quickly.

It's viruses that can hide in your body (like the chicken pox) and reemerge in a couple of decades to do more damage.

My father said if you are looking for a bugger bear you are sure to find one. :)