WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,955 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - I hope your sister gets some help. I understand how hurtful her post could be.

Allie - I think you are being a wonderful grandmother to Carmine. My SIL is transgendered. On the weekend we had a conversation about a of the people that seem to be changing and making decisions about this. He said when he was in school (he’s 30) there were about a dozen that claimed they were going to transition, my SIL is the only one that truly did it.

Debbie - how does your mother feel about this company?
    My brother used to get very upset with my grandparents and then my Mother because he didn’t think they should feel lonely when he “was right there”. I understood their loneliness and was encouraging of everything they did to try to alleviate it. I know it will affect you when you visit but maybe it’s what your mother needs for the long times between your visits.

Machka - the news out of BC is devastating. What a tragedy.
    Glad your family is safe.

I’m feeling a little more human today for the first time in about 3 weeks. I started to feel tired around 400 instead of an hour after getting out of bed! It made a huge difference in my day.

Tracey in Edmonton

I know a big part of this is being selfish on my part but it is also out of concern for her. Right now I am up there one weekend a month- go up on Friday and come home on Monday. Next month I will be there two weekends out of the four.
    This is the first time in mom's life she has had all the say as to what goes on in her house. Even little comments in a nice way and she can get a bit defensive.
    With Joanne, they are friends and it has been nice for them to spend time together. She doesn't mind driving so has taken mom to dr. appts that is quite a ways away. They go shopping( she is in and out- just get what you need, mom likes to browse) Being friends is one thing but to live together is something else.
    Mom has changed her mind on what they are going to do so many times. I am just trying to adjust each time there is a change.
    I just hope she doesn't choose something that she will regret and have a hard time fixing later.(like with the guy that is living there.

Maybe John and Joanne can find a place together- the three of them go out shopping together and to lunch and things-
    I will just wait and see what happens.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Allie, we, too, are concerned about having enough pet food. Our favorite flavor dog food has been out of stock from time to time so we've had to substitute a different flavor. Since we get our pet food delivered we also are concerned about shipping slow downs especially with the holidays coming up, so I'm buying huge supplies just to be sure.

:) About the topic of religion on this thread. I don't think anyone is offended by a mention of God or church or religion or prayer or meditation. What is offensive is suggesting that one brand of religion is the "correct" one or that someone else's spiritual path is not OK. Many of us have some sort of spiritual beliefs that get us through the tough times.

:) Tonight on my walk I saw the first lighted Christmas tree in a window in my neighborhood. It was at a house that still has pumpkins decorating the front yard.

:)Katla, Bon voyage. I think you are leaving tomorrow or the next day for your trip to greet your new grandchild. I wish you and your hubby a safe and fun trip.

:) Our big news is that we are getting new tires so we'll be safe driving this winter. I have a jury duty summons for November 22-December 3 and if I have to go in, it could be a cold or wet or slippery drive each day in the dark.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Are you getting your pet food from Chewy?
    We have had trouble with so many of the orders lately. They used to be great but now everything comes very late or gets lost or ????
    We have started ordering from Amazon, Chewy and still have to pick up locally because we can't get all that we need(6 inside cats and at least 6 feral outside cats- I am sure there are more. We have seen the neighborhood cats sitting across the street on the curb, just waiting for us to put the food out)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,889 Member
    Options
    @Katla49 ... this is the November thread. You've seemed a bit lost recently. I'm guessing you're stressed?

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    B)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,129 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Good morning. It's great they have temporarily reinstated some of the things we had before. Unfortunately, it seems that there will be changes. But hopefully they're going to listen to us in the future.
    Allie: - Good for you, for being sympathetic to Carmine. It isn't necessarily a permanent thing. I know that our younger girl, who was a bit of a tomboy, insisted on being called Robert for a short period of time when she was about 9 years old. We were advised to indulge her. The teenage years are a difficult period for some as they try to find who they are and what they are. 👍🏻 For the back pay.
    Machka: - You have made a good job of that gravel path. I hope your family in BC stay safe.
    Beth: - I hope your mum gets to see your dad. It's difficult at this stage when you live so far away, and doubly difficult for you because of your mobility problems at the moment. (((Hugs)))
    Rebecca: - I think what Barbara says is very helpful. It is sad that she has made herself ill with her life choices. There are times when there's just nothing you can do to help people, they have to want to help themselves.
    Debbie: 😲That pomegranate is enormous
    Heather: - it's because we can hand grandkids back 😂 Couldn't do that with our own kids when it got too much. Kelly puts it very well. Grandlove is a grand feeling to give and receive. 😍 The dress and cape for Bea.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Good morning. It's great they have temporarily reinstated some of the things we had before. Unfortunately, it seems that there will be changes. But hopefully they're going to listen to us in the future.

Software has a lifespan. When it reaches the end of its lifespan, it is no longer supported, and as other things change (like browsers) compatibility issues emerge. That's one of the things that happened here. The software they were using was old.

However, every software change/update is always a bumpy road. That's just the nature of software changes because there are So Many things to consider! And new software is usually different. In this case the "out of the box" software did not have a ready option for BBCode so the providers have had to add it in which isn't ideal.

It sounds like they will polish some of the features that will come with the new software, and once they've got those features working a bit more intuitively, the BBCode will likely go.

They will not be going back to the way it was ... I don't think they can.

There were surveys and things prior to this change for people to have their say. Seems to me, I might have filled one out but I wasn't invited to do the rest this time.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10848618/️-check-out-whats-new-updates-to-the-community#latest

On the upside, the forum should be more stable than it was before. :)

1mrzw5vw5b6m.png

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited November 2021
    Options
    November: leaner/stronger/kinder than October.
    Accountability:
    Chose well: Mon: dermatologist, chose to stay over in Grants Pass as too tired to drive in rainy, windy, dark. Tues: emailed grant application. Wed: caught up 3 days readings, BP, dogs to powerline, Shadow to vet for new cone, dog group.
    Bonus: Mon: Winco, Wal~Mart, Natural Grocers, TJ’s. Tues: unpacked, put away, organized. filled in RothIRA paperwork. Wed: one load laundry.
    Just one thing:
    16: Look at life through someone else’s eyes and see their perspective. Ugh. This is hard.
    17: Try a new way to practice self-care and be kind to yourself. Walk instead of wine today.
    18: Connect with someone from a different generation. Time to email M.

Will take awhile to catch up. All ok at dermatologist, don’t have to go back ‘til Feb. Took Joe’s advice and stayed over as too tired to drive in rainy, windy dark. Right choice for safety; for burdening Joe with Shadow’s care, not so much.

Katla safe travels, easy delivery, happy healthy baby and mama.
    Rebecca saw that blown over big rig on the bridge on the news Monday night. Scary! Also so much flooding, was worried about Barbie.
    Machka how big is your property? It looks so much larger than I had in my mind.
    Allie brava for loving Carmine through this tough time. As if being a teenager weren’t hard enough. Carmine is blessed to have you and so are we. Thankful anniversary.
    Lisa I think that water close to the house is Evelyn’s. Our creek is at the bottom of a very steep ravine. We can hear it but not see it from the house.
    Karen O M G. Copperhead bites and triage that isn’t? Just WOW.
    Debbie, chiming in with Julie about the guy living on your Mom’s property. Doesn’t sound wise. Hope his son finds him a situation soon. Could it be time to gently remind your mom about the plan for you to spend more time there? To ask her to keep “your” bedroom for you?? IMHO You need to be able to retreat to that bedroom at will and your mom needs you more than loud, inconsiderate boarders or creepy squatters.
    Kelly “grand love” diary entry. Beautifully said. :heart:

Anyone heard from Kylia lately?

Lighter, lovelies!kvw435xbdpxg.gif
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Thank you for all the love as usual,cant thank you enough.. yes I so remember those years being so horrible and rough and ill do what I can to support i guess the pronoun is them not him..and to introduce as my grandchild Carmine..im wondering because my daughter is pregnant with a boy and there will be alot attention on the new baby that this is Carmines way of getting attention..but I will love them through whatever as they both will always be my grandchildren..
    I go to.knit and stitch today and i sure hope they can help with my afghan.. and then i have to pick Carmine up at school and to guitar lesson as Tracy has drs appt
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka how big is your property? It looks so much larger than I had in my mind.

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

Land: 695 m² = 7480.92 sq ft = 0.17 of an acre
    House: 106 m² = 1140.98 sq ft

I think of it as a small/mid-sized house and relatively small lot, but then I come from Canada. Over here it is a mid-sized house and fairly good sized lot.

The path in the photos is 12 metres long. Therefore "my" bed ... the one I've taken over and have planted, is also about 12 metres long.

eqd4kv4jj5w3.png

It's all different levels and slopes which makes it challenging, and there are two driveways. One is quite long and we've been able to fit a van and a greenhouse on it.

It has kind of got away from my husband a bit in the past 6 months or so I've started tackling things.

Most of the spring flowers are done now. I'm still hoping my freesias do something but only 2 or 3 have produced flowers so far. Maybe they need sun and heat, which we have not had yet. So this week I finished planting "my" bed for summer. And then I've got Forget-Me-Nots which will go in later in summer.

M in Oz

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :) We are safe where we are on the Olympic Peninsula. We get less rain than anywhere else so while the streets were dry here, there was flooding east and west of us.

:) We had trouble with Chewy getting our favorite dog food variety and with slow shipping. They have given us some discounts as a show of concern. Even so, I added shipments from Petco to make sure we get all we need of what we want.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening all...

The first day this week where I don't have to be anywhere, and enjoying it. Ensconced in my recliner, Egg is curled up by my feet, and I'm tippy-tapping on my laptop, which sits on a makeshift desk laid across my chair so I can communicate with my world. Like y'all, for instance. :p

Barbara AHMOD, you may well be right that it was Evie's rushing water that I was looking at. No worries.

Heather - Have they broadcast your radio interview yet? Just wondering if I missed it and need to go looking for a recording.

One thing I've come to over this past fall and summer is that I am exceedingly fortunate to have the support system that surrounds me. I think of myself as that annoying grain of sand the oyster surrounds with layer after layer to produce the beautiful pearl. Y'all are a multitude of those layers, and my husband and my best friend are, as well.

The doctor appointment yesterday was about as useful as I figured it would be, but I was able to say some things that needed saying, and she heard me. I finally figured out who she reminds me of. If you remember Bewitched, she talks a lot like Aunt Clara:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mLdB2DqvXfU

Just kind of vague and hard to pin down.

Injections tomorrow - my covid booster and the flu shot.

My daughter and the two youngest will be here Monday, I've got a colonoscopy on Tuesday, and then Thanksgiving, of course, on Thursday. So next week will be busy, too.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    Options
    Barbie I have started early on Christmas decoration this year. I did put all outside Halloween decorations away. I have left a few pumpkins and Thanksgiving decorations out inside. I am going through early because I do want to start downsizing decorations. I am going to put fewer out. It is easier to decorate outside before we get major snow. I do leave them out until end of January because of how dark and cold it can be here in Minnesota. A local news station did do a report that putting decorations out early does help with mood. November gets very cloudy and windy. It gives me something positve to do.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    8bk6r8yghbf0.jpeg
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    ☃️
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    🛸 oooo I can use my iPhone icons. 📱
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) We are safe where we are on the Olympic Peninsula. We get less rain than anywhere else so while the streets were dry here, there was flooding east and west of us.

:) We had trouble with Chewy getting our favorite dog food variety and with slow shipping. They have given us some discounts as a show of concern. Even so, I added shipments from Petco to make sure we get all we need of what we want.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

It would be nice to get something from Chewy, a discount would be great, even an apology would be welcomed but from what dh has said, they haven't really responded
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Lisa and others - The broadcast is tomorrow,. Friday, Radio Sussex, 13.00 GMT. It's part of the Sarah Gorrell segment from 10 - 14.00. So about three quarters through if you miss it and go to catch up. On the Sounds app, or link through Google.
    Beginning to feel a bit nervous. It will be weird to hear myself!
    I'm still crossing my fingers, but I haven't heard that they've changed the time, so I'm hopeful.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx