WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    I got out my 1969 Betty Crocker's cookbook today and made a fruit cake for the first time in probably 50 years. It smelled heavenly! Just hoping I will be able to cut pieces without it falling apart.

Carol in GA

would putting it in the fridge or even the freezer help so you can cut it without it falling apart?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    A little over a week ago, we put a pot of Rhody's cat grass next to a tree in our yard where he could nibble it. He likes regular grass too, but I think cat grass must have extra flavour or something.

The next day, the pot was on its side in the middle of the yard and the cat grass and soil was nowhere to be seen. Someone/thing stole cat grass?? I discovered it later under the hedge near the fence. Something must have realised the cat grass with soil attached wouldn't go through the fence and ate most of it there. Our best guess is that the something is a possum.

When Rhody went out, he did a whole lot of very noisy snuffling all around where I found the cat grass, including the open mouth thing cats do when they want to get an even better smell of something.

Last night, Rhody suddenly became very agitated and was running from window to window with his tail fluffed. For a sleek cat like him, that's some feat! I don't know where he gets the fur to fluff his tail!

He wanted to get up in the bathroom window so I arranged it so he could and he did the whole noisy snuffling thing again. I opened the bathroom window further and had to hang onto him tightly because he was prepared to go out!

During that time, he let loose the musty smell cats release when they're frightened or very agitated ... like when they go to the vet. I think he was on high alert and a bit frightened but also very willing to take whatever it was on - to defend his territory!

I couldn't see what it was, but guessed it was probably the possum, or possums.

Even this morning he was still a bit anxious and when my husband put him in his catio, he did a lot of noisy snuffling out there. I suspect the possum had gone into his catio!! No wonder he was prepared to defend!

M in Oz

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Kim--Sounds interesting. I am not sure I would even know where to start a project like that.Good luck.

Sue WA--Glad you found it before they charged more and the credit card company is working with you. I need to watch my cards closer. Thanks for the reminder.

Julie--When I got my 2nd shot I got the hot spot and sore arm swelled up. I went to our employee nurse and she said it is called Hot Spot and it should go away in about a week, maybe 2. So I just put ice on it and it did go away. But was painful while it was there.

Carol--So handsome and they grow up so fast.

Katiebug--So cute.

Flea--HUGS!!

Rebecca-- I sent a message for your address. I would like to send my calendars. So much better than just throwing them away.

Allie--Pray you are feeling better, and if not you are getting checked out. Glad it checked out and you are home resting. Good for you! Tom can just live with the money each week. What an a**.I agree with Michele that he is nuts and only out for himself. He owes you and he needs to pay for a long long time.Don't fall for any kind of sob story he tries to tell you.

favorite Christmas songs. Mary did you know? What child is this? and of course Hallelujah. That is my ring tone for my call on my phone. I love most all Christmas music. Lisa-I enjoy listening to about anything Pentatonix sing.

Well I had a very productive weekend. Got cookies made and bagged up for the neighbors and DH has the job of delivering them. Then at church yesterday, my friend that passed away her husband wore the christmas shirt I got her and we had our picture taken together. We both had a few tears.
    Went to our Christain motorcyce group Christmas party. It was fun, but DH got really tired so we left early. Which is okay, just pray he feels better soon.

Tonight is our women's Christmas party at church. Have my table (I am hostess at one table) at set and when I get off will go home and finish what I am taking. Also tonight is my dept Christmas party at work. I will drop off my food and then go to the church. I did not realize they are on the same night and time. Oh well, do what we can.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
    Nice!
  • Whidislander
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Our Christmas lights in front

Beautiful!
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Vickil57, I sent you a message.💖👍
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Worked and got out early. Didn’t go to bowling but finished putting out the Christmas decorations. We wanted to get that done before it got cold. Plus – they were calling for rain tomorrow, but not now. Thank you Mother Nature.

Went to ceramics and picked up my Koi Fish. My phone is in my trunk so I’ll have to post a pic tomorrow. Also took a cake to celebrate Vince’s birthday

Made Amaretto chocolate fudge for Vince for his birthday tomorrow so cut it up. Stopped at Publix on our way home from ceramics to get the farmer’s cheese for the pierogi. Didn’t get that much since I honestly don’t think Denise will be here for Christmas. It may very well be Vince and myself

Allie – don’t you budge on that alimony. After all you’ve put up with you deserve it. Be careful with Alfi, tho. I can see Tom taking Alfi and then being mean enough not to let you see him. At least at first. I hope it doesn’t come to this.

Mary – I think your sister should know about the covid. And if she freaks out – well, it’s her son and she has every right to freak

Heather – that is so nice of you to have the money donated.

Lisa – you have been thru so much and are such a strong person today. So glad you are feeling better

Jennifer – welcome! We look forward to getting to know YOU so come back often

Vicki – where did you find your list of friends so you could send Rebecca a PM? I’d like to send her one, too, but I can’t seem to find her in my list of friends.

Pip – beautiful lights. I like lights that have color. So many people just put out plain white lights. To me BORING

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Uuu
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »

Julie--When I got my 2nd shot I got the hot spot and sore arm swelled up. I went to our employee nurse and she said it is called Hot Spot and it should go away in about a week, maybe 2. So I just put ice on it and it did go away. But was painful while it was there.

Well I had a very productive weekend. Got cookies made and bagged up for the neighbors and DH has the job of delivering them. Then at church yesterday, my friend that passed away her husband wore the christmas shirt I got her and we had our picture taken together. We both had a few tears.
    Went to our Christain motorcyce group Christmas party. It was fun, but DH got really tired so we left early. Which is okay, just pray he feels better soon.

Tonight is our women's Christmas party at church. Have my table (I am hostess at one table) at set and when I get off will go home and finish what I am taking. Also tonight is my dept Christmas party at work. I will drop off my food and then go to the church. I did not realize they are on the same night and time. Oh well, do what we can.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3

Thanks Vicki, mine wasn't really painful I was just a bit concerned after 3 days as I didn't see much notice of it reading on line, especially the heat. I was prescribed some cortisone cream and I quickly went back to normal.

You sound like you are really enjoying Christmas!
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    enjoying reading and skimming...

today
    15 min on stationary bike
    work on writing (1st part, one of the chapters), work at café this morning, haven't for a while.
    either a meeting or a short dr's appointment + 1h round trip public transport (both at same time, if one is not confirmed the other will happen)
    work on boring legal file (LOTS of paper)
    a few admin tasks, calls, follow up.

My lawyer wants me to bring paper files easier to sort together.
    Do you guys still use a lot of paper ?

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline TWICE
    Bonus: 5 loads laundry washed, 4 dried and put away, veg prep
    Just one thing: unpacked more gifts
    Do good December
    6: Leave a positive message for someone else to find: S Sunday to T.
    7: Give kind comments to as many people as possible today:

After powerline, almost 15 minutes playing sit, down, hup up, off, get it, come back, and catch to finish breakfast kibble. Takes way more time than setting down the bowl, but provides engagement and repetition, repetition, repetition in a fun way. Shadow sat relaxedly afterwards for awhile before she tried to lick her leg. We’ll take that as encouragement to continue.

Lisa ((hugs))
    Allie “O Come O Come Immanuel”, “Gaudete”, “What Child is this?” and “Twelve Days of Christmas” Neither am I much in the holiday spirit, yet, but will put on some music (Christmas in Anglia, the first part of Handel’s Messiah, Leroy Anderson’s Christmas and several Mormon Tabernacle Choir albums) and see if that doesn’t get me humming … and baking ;) Add me to the list of friends who say “Time to lawyer up and let Tom go hang.” Prayers for good news at the kidney Dr. appointment.
    Heather I love love love your bingo cards! Please share details as they develop. The lights are lovely, but I’d rather have a fire in the fireplace ;)
    Rebecca 2nd grandma Athena pics are better than none. When DIL sends yours they will be extra special. :love: the apron and serious expression.
    Welcome @jlvgriffin Jennifer in Ohio! Sail on!
    Margaret thank you for sharing insights about self care. If DH can not give you what you need when you’re hurting, can someone else? Good luck unsticking!
    Vicki sweet story about your friend’s DH wearing the shirt you made for her. Remind me, did your DH get any answers? Prayers continue.
    Pip under 9 min mile? You are the Energizer Bunny like Carol’s grand. Lovely lights.
    Carol do you bathe your fruitcake in spirits?
    Terri congratulations on your gs’s graduation.
    Machka how could the possum get into Rhody’s catio? Can you secure it? What a distressing aspect of TBI, having to cope with negative talk and limit your topics of conversation. Do you have anyone else you can talk to without having to pre-edit?
    Sue ((hugs)) Thanks for introducing me to "Breath of Heaven."
    Michele good advice to Allie about Tom and Alfie. You can also pm Rebecca by going to Calorie Counter, clicking the envelope to open messaging, click Compose message, and in the “To” field type WhidIslander. Good luck!
    Mary praying real hard for your family, hoping all cases are mild and no one needs to be hospitalized. What is the ICU situation where they are? Oregon’s ICU beds available is running around 8%.
    Julie glad your hot sore arm is better. Yes, I still use a lot of paper, even printing from the internet, invoices that they won’t send snail mail/hardcopy.

Lighter, lovelies!
    0l6jz1dkdu3g.gif
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Hi all. It's blowing a hoolie outside, and raining heavily to boot. I will go to Craft later this morning. It's the last meeting until the new year. That's in the lap of the gods, with Omicron sweeping towards us.

Daughter and I were so proud to see DGS graduate from our old alma mater. 3 generations of graduates! DMiL must be smiling down on us from heaven. She was a such a great support to me when I went back to school in my late 20s and graduated as a teacher.
    My attorney said if he trys to go to court to call her and it will get taken care of. YES!!!
    It will probably ruin the friendship we have now.. but he is responsible for it all.
    Tomorrow is off to the groomers for Alfie and Homer and then I go to the kidney Dr.
    Tomorrow also will be 1 month date wise until the little guy arrives.. we are all excited.

Tom's behaviour makes my blood boil on your behalf. It's outright cruelty for him to manipulate and take advantage of you, especially with all you have been through this last while back. The friendship is very one sided! A friend wouldn't do what he is doing.

Christmas music et al: I just love everything Christmas 🎄🤶🏻🎅🏻 I loves so many it's hard to pick a favourite.
    Machka: Great graphic. One step at a time works best with small steps.
    Pip: 😍Your realtors gift
    Rebecca: Such concentration on Athena's face. You do know you can copy those photos on Facebook book, right?
    Mary: So sorry to hear about your family and the Covid. 🙏🏻 🙏🏻 🙏🏻
    JulieI'm old school with important papers. 😂 it's easier to shuffle 😂 and I think we depend on the Internet too much at times. It's such an ethereal entity.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I slept well once i got to sleep ..and im having a nice cup of tea.. I dont know if any of you have tried it .its made by Twinings
    Its called Christmas tea and its in a green box.. and its just lovely.. I cant drink to much of it because of the caffeine..but it has a hint of orange ..and is just a nice tea for the holidays..
    The boys going to the groomers this morning and then like i said off to my drs appointment then Trudy and I are going to Sam's Club and stop at Joann craft store to pick up anothercrochet hook to work on Tracys afghan..
    Tomorrow will be a quiet day..
    Tom and Elena will be away for 2 weeks to Florida and then will have Alfie for 3 days or so when Tracy goes in to have the baby and I will have to stay with Carmine.
    Will take it slowly after that..
    Tom did get his booster last Wednesday and he got a flu like reaction for 2-3 days but that didnt stop him ..
    Carmine will be getting first vaccine on the 16th and the 2nd one the day before mom goes in to have the baby..
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,392 Member
    Options
    Jennifer in Ohio - welcome! Join us often, and jump into any conversation that you're interested in!

Terri - congratulations to the grandson, and to your family's generations of education. I was the first one to get a degree in my family, and one much-loved nephew was right behind me.

Allie - I know you're getting a lot of comments on Tom's manipulative, weaselly actions from a few years back as well as lately. I also know you've already alerted your lawyer. But all this made me wonder about his motives for telling you he's going to try to get his alimony dropped later. So why is he telling you now? Tom's motives are always about his opinion of what he thinks you're worth. If I remember right, he gave you a $20 a week allowance while you were married, and everything you made from your full-time job went straight into the bank. Now he's offering a whole $5 more, at $25 per week. He's telegraphing what he thinks you're worth, Allie. Not to get all Southern on him, but bless his heart, he is a pusillanimous cad.

Margaret - Your care for Drew really resonates, and I'm so pleased that you are honoring your own needs as you go. This struck a chord with me: " Self-care involves making your requests for what you need clear. Just because you made the request does not mean the other person can honor your request."

Heather
    - I used your model to suggest to wannabe gift-givers that they donate the amount they planned to spend to a nonprofit helping people faced with exorbitant medical bills, or to a local animal rescue in our name. Thank you for that thought; it helped me say to my son's girlfriend who asked what we'd like to receive that, as touched as I was by the thought of them sending us a gift, I'd really prefer a card with a good picture of the two of them inside and a donation where it can do some good. Grandkids under 18 get gifts or gift cards, or handmade items, but am asking adults not to buy, just to give to those who need it. Oh, and also, love your Christmas fireplace and other decorations. :smiley:

Carol
    - Your granddaughter looks beautiful. Love the colors and the clothes!

Rita - You're stronger than I ever was. Christmas break is coming, hang in there!

Rebecca - I love those pics of Athena. I've loved every pic you've posted of her. She's incredibly photogenic.

Barbara AHMOD - Thanks for the hugs and right back at you. Sounds like using your doggies' kibble doled out for good behavior was a good idea!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Terri - Hope the storm doesn't do too much damage. I went out this morning for local shopping as we are expecting the worst this afternoon . It was already blowing a gale! I'm rather hoping it will be proper stormy later as we cancelled picking up Bea because of the weather forecast. I will feel a bit guilty if it isn't. :p>:)

Just got a text asking us to have the older two for Saturday lunch time. It's normally DH's sports watching day, but I'm sure he will forgo that. Edie was missing us and Bea has a party where parents have to stay.

DDIL sent some photos and a video of the kids skating outside the Brighton Pavilion. :D<3 Will post below from my phone.

Still debating how to approach my next book. Turning ideas over in my mind.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx