• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Lisa in AR

He talks a lot - that's a frontal lobe damage thing: lots of rather uninhibited quite negative talk. I have to rein him in sometimes when we're out in public. And if he talks about specific people, they usually end up dead by the end of the story. "I knew someone who owned a house here, blah, blah, blah ... but he's dead now."

It gets so negative sometimes, I just listen with one ear in case I have to say, "uh-huh" occasionally.

But knowing where the conversation will go, I can't bring up anything in the news to discuss over dinner and even things that happen at work are often not "safe" topics as he'll go off on a rant and start accusing various people I work with of things like drug use etc. So I keep my day and my thoughts to myself most of the time.

M in Oz

That is exactly what I do to my DH. You are describing him to a T! He must be suffering from the same type of brain injury your DH has!

Another day with 8/9 year olds. I feel bad for these kids. They all have very bad family lives.

RvRita in Roswell NM

Boxing is notorious for brain injury. It's a horrible "sport".

Frontal lobe damage can happen quite easily, it's a common area to damage, and it doesn't take much to cause quite a bit of damage.

In my husband's case, he has a small area of damage in his frontal lobe, and a large area of damage in his left temporal lobe, plus a diffuse axonal injury which are "dots" of damage scattered everywhere. All those areas are damaged enough that they are "dead" and show up on MRIs as scar tissue.

So the uninhibited, negative talking is one of his many symptoms.

uycjh65vrdoa.png
    31i0bcmx9a0t.png

auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka how could the possum get into Rhody’s catio? Can you secure it? What a distressing aspect of TBI, having to cope with negative talk and limit your topics of conversation. Do you have anyone else you can talk to without having to pre-edit?

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

Right now, the door is just tied shut when Rhody is in there. We'll try to get a latch or something to make it more secure. I put Rhody on his leash last night and Inspector Rhody did an investigation of where the intruder got into our property and where it went. There was much sniffing. He's like a bloodhound!

I've been coping with the negative talk and limiting my topics of conversation now for about 3.5 years. I discovered this was going to be an issue early on after his accident.

I don't really have anyone else to talk to. Most of the time that doesn't bother me - I've always kept to myself. But sometimes, I'd like to sit down and have a good discussion with someone. It would be nice to have a decision making talk with someone at times - one of those talks where you weigh up the pros and cons of something with the other person helping you brainstorm and providing ideas you hadn't thought of ....

But the cycling events we organise are good for him because he'll talk to the cyclists about their bicycles and things cycling-related for a while, and that's positive ... as long as he doesn't get too tired.

And I can usually talk about gardening with him, and take him to garden centres and things. Even building our footpath had him talking about building our footpath which was also positive.

When we do anything bee related, he'll talk about bees and bee-related things. So that's good too.

So I'm learning what works.

M in Oz

Wouldn't it be nice to just have a conversation without thinking three thoughts ahead- If I say this, then they will get up set about it, If I say this......
    It is totally and completely exhausting.

I just stop talking when I realise I'm going to have to tread really carefully. Fortunately, I generally prefer silence.

And if it is an "oops ... too late!" situation, I'll try to redirect. And if that doesn't work, I'll wander into another room or outside.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Chose well: BP, T’ai Chi, dogs to powerline, fire district board meeting.
    Bonus: land line and best practices grant research, an hour grooming Tumble.
    Just one thing:
    Do good December
    8: Do something helpful for a friend or family member:
    Heather, Julie, Betsy, we’ve been lucky, quakes not felt, no damage. I’ve lived in quake country all my life, but being on our fire district board has made me more aware of the down-the-road impacts. If you think we’re isolated now… ;}
    Annie two vaccinations in one day might not be a good idea. Hope you space the flu shot out a few weeks.
    Allie I’ve also used “bless your heart” as a blessing. It’s ok. You’re a Yankee and I’m a prune-picker. The other meaning is a Southern thing.
    Lisa :heart: and I’m happy for you both. :smile:
    Pip, looked like Yogi got his foot mixed up in the leash?eeij7myxsf8u.jpg
    :love: the pic of Yogi on the bed and Kirby giving him a smooch. Beautiful architecture and lights.
    Vicki hard to speak truth to power tactfully. Hope the damage control wasn’t too painful.
    Katla hope you have help getting that spruce into the house then up onto the table. Sounds too heavy to me!
    Heather is Zicam available to you? Really helps me avoid the worst of colds. Take care!
    Debbie you’re right. Walking on eggshells in conversations is totally and completely exhausting. :cry:
    Michele brava for setting your boundaries at the airport. Well done!
    Rebecca :love: the blue ornament box, especially the little sheep, antique angel faces and quilt, but that snow scene made me shiver. Remembrance of our first Thanksgiving in Idaho. [brr]
    Machka Brava for signing up for that 10K run. “…I just stop talking…” is a skill I could use!

Noticed, and commented with my friends, how the lights along the highway lift ones spirits. Think I’ll ask Joe if there is power down the drive. Seeing lights out the office window at night would be good for my soul.

Lighter, lovelies!
    tygs7hlqw50d.gif
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Pffft i was awake at 1:30 this morning
    I flipped and flopped for awhile and finally said the heck with it and got up..
    Last night I smashed my second to the last toe last night and boy it hurts im sure i did some damage but dont think i broke it..
    I returned the Apple watch and got my Samsung Galaxy watch as thats the phone I have..im hoping it keeps me on the up and up..
    I did do some dishes and get some trash together..
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Barbara, that makes sense that you are aware of those unusual situations. My sis is in Colorado and with rare flooding a few years back normal life in near desert land was awash. Roads cut off people staying at one and others homes... things you just never expect.... Good to be aware.

So much time spent on bugs (computer not bed) today. Okay moving forward.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    do any of you listen to blinkist. I love it sometimes. I listen to short synopsis of explanations of philosophy. much nicer (and more realistic) to learn philosophy 101 (so to speak) while cleaning the kitchen than reading dense obscure books for hours.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) The plumber came yesterday and installed a beautiful new faucet in the kitchen. The faucet was expensive. The plumber wore a mask and said that he was totally vaccinated. Because of the leaking old faucet, it's wet under the sink so we'll be keeping stuff out of that area and keeping the cupboard door open for a few days.

:) I have a book to mail for Paperback Swap but I'm not looking forward to dealing with lines at the post office.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Went back to sleep for a couple hours feel a bit better.. had a bit of snow .so will have to go and clean off my car before going anywhere.. thats why i want a garage darn it
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,066 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Rita they are lucky to have you. In many of the classes I taught the stories of what the children were facing was heart breaking. Just loving them is one of the best gifts you can give.

I hope you are able to get some extra Wheaties to help you help them. Take care...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

Terri – I’m here and have the hope I can stay off my telephone and on my computer. The phone works, but I like this so much better.

Heather – I am delighted for you. You’ve always been an excellent writer and I am not surprised that you have written something that is set to go out in January. :heart:

Lisa – I am sorry that the VA medical system is not adequately responsive. I hope you will be able to get the VA to pay for Walmart’s medicine.

Kim – Good luck for your mom’s health situation. I hope the x-ray provides useful information so that she can get useful treatment & feel better.

I am having my first morning coffee, and contemplating decorating the house for Christmas.

Kalta
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Pip, such a great photo of your children. when was it taken?

Karen in Virginia

2016 , 2017?
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Accountability:
    Just one thing:
    Do good December
    Heather, Julie, Betsy, we’ve been lucky, quakes not felt, no damage. I’ve lived in quake country all my life, but being on our fire district board has made me more aware of the down-the-road impacts. If you think we’re isolated now… ;}
    Annie two vaccinations in one day might not be a good idea. Hope you space the flu shot out a few weeks.
    Allie I’ve also used “bless your heart” as a blessing. It’s ok. You’re a Yankee and I’m a prune-picker. The other meaning is a Southern thing.
    :love: the pic of Yogi on the bed and Kirby giving him a smooch. Beautiful architecture and lights.
    Vicki hard to speak truth to power tactfully. Hope the damage control wasn’t too painful.
    Katla hope you have help getting that spruce into the house then up onto the table. Sounds too heavy to me!
    Heather is Zicam available to you? Really helps me avoid the worst of colds. Take care!
    Debbie you’re right. Walking on eggshells in conversations is totally and completely exhausting. :cry:
    Rebecca :love: the blue ornament box, especially the little sheep, antique angel faces and quilt, but that snow scene made me shiver. Remembrance of our first Thanksgiving in Idaho. [brr]
    Machka Brava for signing up for that 10K run. “…I just stop talking…” is a skill I could use!

Noticed, and commented with my friends, how the lights along the highway lift ones spirits. Think I’ll ask Joe if there is power down the drive. Seeing lights out the office window at night would be good for my soul.

Lighter, lovelies!
    tygs7hlqw50d.gif

Nope, that was his gentle leader that was off of him, it’s just dangling
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Katla--I had a babysitter when Iwas 8-9 that taught me the basics of knitting. I enjoy making blankets and different things. My grandma was teaching me to crochet when she passed away so I used to be able to make a straight line, but not the next step, I have thought about trying to learn, but I enjoy knitting so happy with just doing that.

Barbara--Pray you stay safe from the quakes. Sorry about the grant, know you spent a lot of time putting it together.

Rita--I agree those kids are lucky to have you and they know you care and that means a lot.

Not a lot going on here. I have a friend who's husband is in the hospital with Covid and they live in a small town and are talking of sending him to a larger hospital as he is not doing well. She is home as she has it too, only not near as bad. Just never know who or how it will hit.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND,NE <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Finished decorating the inside tree. We are doing it for the grandchildren. :D
    The two older ones are coming over on Saturday. <3

I've been having a quiet day with a nap. Babying my cold. Did all my exercises. Played with some ideas for my next book. It's gradually getting clearer. To be called, 'NOW I AM - Out of the shadow'. :) A mixture of poetry, essays and memoir about the 'Lover-Shadow'. The name comes from HG Wells.

Been firing up my headphones for the train journey tomorrow. I will download a couple of Netflix episodes and make sure I have reading on my phone. It's a four hour return journey.

Love to all. Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Uuuu
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Worked, wrapped Ken & Lynette’s Christmas presents, ordered a gift card for Ken (this was my Christmas-related task for today), went to the vet then to WalMart for a few things but I really needed to buy gas. You should have seen the line!

We’re going to see TSO tonight in concert

M – good luck in your race. I know you’ll do real well, you certainly are getting a head start

Allie – OUCH!!! Take care my friend

Barbie – I usually try to go to the post office when it first opens. I’ve found the lines to be not that bad. Not that good – but not that bad. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be able to do that this year

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Accountability:
    Just one thing:
    Do good December

Lighter, lovelies!
    tygs7hlqw50d.gif

Me too about the burr! I remember night skiing as a teenager and the stillness as I would ride the chairlift up. Sometimes it was bad weather. So it would be raining when I got on, sleeting in the middle and snowing up top, when I got off! My clothing all stiff and frozen. Glad to have goggles then. Now snow, I mostly just like to look at from a warm place, with a cup of coffee in my hands!
    Rebecca
    A ski bum in my younger days
    In Whidbey
    WA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Loving my 10" cast iron pan these days! Today was some kielbasa sausage, yellow onion, and zucchini.
    Had a small salad before. Husband stated that he could smell the yellow onion clear upstairs! I couldn't smell it at all. But my nose doesn't really work. Really strong odors just makes my nose itchy, but I don't really smell anything.
    y3eaf6ee4eay.jpg
    Rebecca
    Cast iron queen on
    Whidbey island
    WA