WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all, and happy Friday!

KJ - Woo-hoo! Congratulations to the whole family!

Heather - enjoy your visit with your brother!

Regarding learning crochet and/or knitting: My least favorite sister-in-law actually taught me how to crochet, and if memory serves, I was 13. Teaching me crochet was one of the actions she undertook that was actually beneficial. She's the same one who looked out the window and heard my brothers teasing me about being heavy. She said, "Stop teasing that poor fat child, you'll give her a complex!" She had good intentions... and we all know how that comes out. :wink:

Anyway, with 48 years of practice, crochet comes easy. I taught my daughter how to crochet about ten years ago when she was pregnant with her first, which was gratifying. I have tried to teach myself to knit, but all my efforts turn into a snarled ball of stress and sweat.

Three-day weekend for my husband, so at 6:30 a.m., he's still sleeping. I've been up since about 4:30 and have been reading and writing since. Still dark, and cloudy, and a good chance of rain this afternoon, but the weather is 60 degrees now and the high should be about 70, so it's comfortable, especially for December!

Am drinking my second cup of tea - and have realized that I haven't had a cup of coffee for more than six weeks now. I have leaned on coffee my whole adult life. After the bariatric surgery 16 years ago now, I was unable to drink plain water without it being changed by something, either coffee or tea, whether cold or hot. Plain water hit my stomach like a brick. I tried at least once a year to see if it was still hurting, and until recently, it was. For whatever reason, I am now able to drink plain water without pain. It tastes so good! I missed it all these years, and am pleased to get it back again. I drink two or three 16-oz glasses every day.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) My mother taught me to knit when I was nine years old. She didn't teach me to cast on stitches so I was dependent on her to start something for me. I just knit things like doll blankets. When I went to college in Minnesota where the winters were long and cold, a friend taught me to cast on and follow a pattern and I've been knitting ever since. When I retired and moved to where I live now, there was a yarn shop in town with many classes and I learned to crochet. I learned enough to make a few interesting blankets but eventually returned to knitting and have been doing that every day since.

:)Lisa, I am the inverse of you--I drink only water. No tea or coffee in over ten years.

:)Katla, Are you knitting and exercising now that you are home again?

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    KJ--Beautiful new baby, congratulations grandma.

I am so glad today is Friday. DH and I have an appointment with a rheumatology doctor this morning. Hoping he will have some answers. It has been a bad week for DH as he is more tired then he has been. We did go out last evening and buy him some new pants as he has lost enough weight that his ones were falling off even with the belt.

Tonight we have our adult Church Christmas party. It is to snow this afternoon so see how that goes as the party is about 25 miles for here.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,689 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Well got a good nights sleep,had some toast and now having tea and then will hop in the shower..
    My mother knit beautifully and i knit a hat for an old boyfriend of mine,but i never really was interested.. even when Taliah/ Carmine was born didnt have the itch to knit or crochet something.. but i guess now that I have time on my hands ,its the thing to do...
    Im hoping my grandson will keep warm with his blanket,that Carmine enjoys the warm blanket and I know Tracy will enjoy hers..
    I am taking Dan for his booster shot today he asked.. i think he just wants the moral support.. and then I have a 2:45 drs appt with my GP..
    Im so done with Drs.. ugh..
    I can only pray that 2022 is a better year in that department lol
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    lpp0wvccuql2.jpeg
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Heather.... cracked me up. Yes the "riches of aging". I laughed so hard DH came down the hall to see what was going on... Ha!

KJ... Wow, so precious.. Javier is gorgeous.

Allie... glad you slept....

Lisa and Barbie.... I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't drink water. It agrees with me and I drink all day long and always have a water bottle when I go for walks or drives. My dog, Ella is a water drinker too. Guess we were meant to be a pair. My DH never never never drinks water and it worries me because he drinks sugary colas everyday.. I just wonder what it does to his guts.

Barbara... I heard on the news last night the flurry of quakes is still going on. Thinking of you.

I'm going to a class to learn how to crochet on Saturday. I need something to help me work my fingers and hands. But this is my second time around. I took a class about 4 yrs ago but didn't stick with it. This time there are only 4 of us in the class and I'm going to give it a real try.

Happy Friday to all,
    Betsy in NW WA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    💖🎄🙏😁
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,689 Member
    Options
    Morning again
    Well i laid out the afghan and i have it all cockeyed ,so darn it will pull it apart and start over..oh well..
    I drink alot of water.. will have tea sometimes in the morning.. and once in awhile a diet soda
    Im not taking Dan for his booster until Christmas eve, so that just leaves the drs appt. Ill take Alfie over to Toms and get Homer out and then come back to drop him off before the drs
    I checked my toe,i dont know if i busted it or sprained it but its black and blue..
    Im just a hot mess..
    Saw a picture on the TV of Norway and thought of Penny and hope all is well with her.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all, and happy Friday!

KJ - Woo-hoo! Congratulations to the whole family!

Heather - enjoy your visit with your brother!

Regarding learning crochet and/or knitting: My least favorite sister-in-law actually taught me how to crochet, and if memory serves, I was 13. Teaching me crochet was one of the actions she undertook that was actually beneficial. She's the same one who looked out the window and heard my brothers teasing me about being heavy. She said, "Stop teasing that poor fat child, you'll give her a complex!" She had good intentions... and we all know how that comes out. :wink:

Anyway, with 48 years of practice, crochet comes easy. I taught my daughter how to crochet about ten years ago when she was pregnant with her first, which was gratifying. I have tried to teach myself to knit, but all my efforts turn into a snarled ball of stress and sweat.

Three-day weekend for my husband, so at 6:30 a.m., he's still sleeping. I've been up since about 4:30 and have been reading and writing since. Still dark, and cloudy, and a good chance of rain this afternoon, but the weather is 60 degrees now and the high should be about 70, so it's comfortable, especially for December!

Am drinking my second cup of tea - and have realized that I haven't had a cup of coffee for more than six weeks now. I have leaned on coffee my whole adult life. After the bariatric surgery 16 years ago now, I was unable to drink plain water without it being changed by something, either coffee or tea, whether cold or hot. Plain water hit my stomach like a brick. I tried at least once a year to see if it was still hurting, and until recently, it was. For whatever reason, I am now able to drink plain water without pain. It tastes so good! I missed it all these years, and am pleased to get it back again. I drink two or three 16-oz glasses every day.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

I had never heard of anyone other than myself that had trouble drinking plain water. It may be something in our water, I don't know- doesn't happen all the time.
    I so drink plain water during zumba class sometimes but don't drink that much. Bottled water doesn't seem to bother me too often. Mom's water, never a problem. they have great well water

I drink tea- all day every day. Start my morning with tea(caffeine!!!) and switch to herbal/decaf about 2PM and drink that until I go to bed. Always hot tea. In the summer when it is really hot I will drink it room temp. No ice( ice or even just cold drinks is instant asthma attack for me-food or drink)
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,940 Member
    Options
    heading for mom's- I will check back in when I get home Monday.
    Have a wonderful weekend Ladies!!

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
    but in Alexander Valley,CA for the next three days.
  • Whidislander
    Options
    KJ - Baby Javier is perfect. Wonderful! <3

I'm on the train coming back from my afternoon with my brother and DSIL. It was lovely to see them. Worth all the effort. We laughed such a lot and I got a great idea for a story/essay.
    We went to a garden centre for lunch and I had fish and chips and mushy peas 😋. Then we walked about looking at Christmas presents and decorations and I picked up the last few things I needed. All done now!
    Had a cup of tea at their house and then started the journey home.

zcmngtvocr42.jpg

Bruv and DSIL at the restaurant. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

Such a great photo of your brother and DSIL. Glad you had a nice time!
    Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie - I have not started any new knitting projects since we got home. I enjoyed seeing our newest grandson wrapped in the blanket that I made for him. It was a treat to see him in it while we were there.

I have been having trouble rejoining our group. Do I have to pay money to someone? I would appreciate guidance. I am frustrated every time I try to post.

Katla
  • Whidislander
    Options
    Hello ladies, happy Friday, or Saturday for some of you!
    Today was shopping day, and we bought much not on our list. Tomorrow is the Army vs Navy football game so we splurged and bought some snacky things. We bought those mini weenies in little pastries, each got our favorite chips and crackers. Lee got some good cheese he likes, and I got some brie. I have hummus, and smoked salmon. I also bought berries, spinach, and Fresca! It will be fun just nibbling away for a couple hours. I will pace myself!
    I will display it all on the coffee table, and use the lace table cloth! Ooh I also have olives and artichoke bruschetta!
    Oh I should've bought a wine of some sort! I haven't had wine since staying with my eldest sister Pam, and it was kind of a nightly thing she did.
    Today we bought some treats for our eldest son, and I wrapped them up as presents. He definitely doesn't need more things! Plus he's packing out sometime this month so all we've bought him is food items.
    Well my middle sister is really having issues with her neuropathy problems. The doctor made her sign a pain medicine contract, and her daughter was really pissed about that. I told my niece in chat that I hope her Mom wasn't smoking, drinking or driving, all toxic things. We'll see what she replies about that. She did mention they were making her as comfortable as they could, which could mean they're buying her alcohol and cigarettes. I told my niece that though I am so far away, if she needed to vent, to call me anytime. She won't but at least I put it out there.
    Well shopping all done, boxes mailed. This weekend I want to make a double batch of peanut brittle because its really good! Bad part is I can't just make a double batch, I have to make it two times, because I am microwaving it. I use the 4 cup Pyrex glass container I have and it just fits the 1/2 cup light corn syrup and 1 cup of sugar that in 4 minutes (on high in microwave) makes LAVA! Then its stirring in 1 cup of cocktail peanuts and nuking for 3 more minutes. Its at the top and bubbly, so doubling would put me in the danger zone of lava overflowing! Then when you take it out you quickly add 1 tsp vanilla, and 1 tsp baking soda and stir STIR! Pour quickly on a buttered cookie sheet. Easy peasy! Tastes just like you've used a candy thermometer but without the hassle.👍💖. Your welcome!
    Have a nice weekend everyone!
    Rebecca
    Appreciating all you ladies and your friendship💖👍
    On Whidbey
    WA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Barbie - I have not started any new knitting projects since we got home. I enjoyed seeing our newest grandson wrapped in the blanket that I made for him. It was a treat to see him in it while we were there.

I have been having trouble rejoining our group. Do I have to pay money to someone? I would appreciate guidance. I am frustrated every time I try to post.

Katla

:) I don't understand your problem. You post every day and it works great.

<3 Barbie
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Katla ~ I am worried about you and praying for you! I am sorry that you are having difficulty getting into the chat. Please keep trying.

Rebecca ~ Sounds like a fun time as you watch the game.

Heather ~ Very nice photo of you brother and his wife.

Debbie and Lisa ~ I love water. Drink it all during the day with ice. I take so many allergy meds that it is very refreshing. I also love coffee with half and half/no sugar. I drink one diet coke each day at lunch.

Carol in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele – Amazing ceramic fish. Will you keep it for yourself or gift it to someone?

Peach – The “Christmas ships” have been a tradition here until the CoVid pandemic began. These are owned by individuals who decorate their own boats with lights and parade up and down our part of the river. This year they are coming back again for the first time in a few years. I look forward to seeing them.

Machka – I can’t answer your question on what is different without opening a discussion of the pandemic. Travelling across the country to see our family members took up nearly every moment that we weren’t sleeping. My son wanted us to be quarantined as much as possible. I’m happy with the visit, but not thrilled about two jet flights across the country. The jets made it possible to see our family so I can’t complain about them. No computer use during the visit, and coming back to the changes on MFP has been daunting at times.

Pip- I love all the photos!

Heather – Congrats on booking your train ticket.

Lisa – I agree with Barbara that Corey is a lucky guy to have you.

Rita – Thank you for the guidance!!!

Barbara – I may have mentioned my lack of singing ability. I need to stand behind the choir and sing as quietly as possible. This started in fourth grade. :embarassed:

Rebecca – I love the blue Christmas photos. They remind me of an Elvis song—” I’ll have a blue Christmas without you . . .”

Barbie – My mom also taught me to knit. I was about 12, and in a 4H knitting group. My sweater got a blue ribbon at the state fair. The other girls in my group were angry. Twelve-year-old girls are not easy. I am not currently knitting. I am thinking about knitting baby blankets for the Linus project, and donating to new moms.

I am delighted to have found my way back to this wonderful group. I missed each and every one of you. I had some challenges with my computer and seem to be doing fine now. Thank you for your concern.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Worked, went to the soup kitchen, stopped by Lynette’s office to give her some coupons, then went with Vince to the vet, WalMart and the pharmacy for Loki’s med.

Boy, we are millionaires!

KJ – CONGRATULATIONS!!! awwwwwwww

I’m supposed to go for a sleep study. When Vince did his he was able to do it at home. I certainly hope I can do that, too. I’m not fond of taking a day off work

Allie – good luck at the doctor’s

I’m a big water drinker. Before I started working at BK, I’d regularly have over 100 oz. However, now it’s usually around 80oz.

Katla – most of my ceramics go out by the pool. Occasionally I make something for someone, but not very often

Michele NC