WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2021

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Heather - Congratulations on your short story being published in Love Sunday Magazine! ❤️
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,025 Member
    I just bought my dad a pair of sneakers to arrive tomorrow morning. Amazon is just incredibly convenient. Now I don't have to fight the crowds at the stores.

It took me until yesterday to realize that since my mom doesn't really shop anymore, that I am the only one buying for my dad. My mom's memory is going downhill fast. She kept telling me she needed to buy chocolates and I believed her. Now we have extra boxes of chocolates and not much for my poor dad.

Annie in Delaware
  • Katla49
    I had a happy phone call from our daughter. We’ve been missing her and it was a good chat. ❤️

Grocery shopping this morning. We need coffee! Maybe DH will have additional things on his list.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    So sad to hear Joan Didion has died. This is what I wrote in my interview with the Hovarian.
    2vp5xfrzn7ey.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,429 Member
    Well my lunch was splendid! I was only able to eat half of it!
    5t2fsptcs67a.jpg
    Tomorrow I shall inhale the rest with maybe a salad. Today I didn't open the container that is holding my Christmas Crack. Of course its only 2 pm so trying to keep outta the kitchen!
    Rebecca
    WA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,429 Member
    Excuse the poor picture, I only took it to prove, ( as validation) that appetite correction really is a thing.😁👍
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Pip--New stove looks nice. I have a gas stove and love it. I am not good with electric.

Heather--Great news on another push for your book. Getting your name out there is great publicity.

Made it to the gym on the way out from work yesterday. What an eye opener. I walked the track 3 times and did 3 minutes on the bike. I could sure feel it. Today I got some ear phones so I can listen to music on my phone and will be stopping agan on the way out from work. One day at a time.

Sure does not feel like Christmas is only 2 days away. The fact that the temps are low 60's doesn't help. Also not going to DS's Christmas eve like we have done for years with all their kids and great grandchildren. But they just moved into their new house last weekend and not ready. Talking about doing a get together New Year's day.

Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3

I prefer gas too. No choice here though
  • pipcd34
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 22min 42sec, 123elev, 85ahr, 103mhr, 3.33ap, 8mi= 757c
    Strava app = 966c
    Rowing- 25min, 48aw, 123ahr, 152mhr, 3890meters= 190c

Total cal 947
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    M I know you love working from home, so this job sounds well suited for you. I’m like you, I go to work in the morning tomorrow then we are having friends over for dinner.

pip – great stove. I didn’t even know that drip plates came in black! How are replacements? I’ve seen the silver ones (I’ve bought them)

Tracey – usually I don’t care for plastic canvas. Mainly because you can see the back which doesn’t look nice. However, with a tissue box cover, you won’t be able to see it, so I’m thinking that might be a good idea. We watched A Muppet Christmas last night and then TSO’s Christmas Eve and other stories DVD’s . Oh, you said you googled Christmas cat tissue box covers and a lot came up. Which sites did you use?

The manager at BK said they got 100% yesterday. Not sure what that means exactly. But it made her happy.

Worked and then made some cookies for her daughter and the rest for us. I didn’t even know she had a daughter until she told me that her daughter wanted some of the fudge and she had to tell her that she couldn’t have any. Then went to WalMart, Vince had to pick up a prescription. They’re busy. Got dinner ready. Will get the things I can get done for tomorrow. Made the apple pie yesterday, today I’ll cut up the potatoes and put them in the pot. Cut the fish (haddock) into two pieces. I know when I get the haddock in FL, the pieces are usually larger. Oh well….now I know that these pieces aren’t as large.

Vince says my laptop is OK!!! Yea

Katla – so happy your daughter called

About the only fast food place I eat at is Subway. The last time I ate at one was when Burger King first introduced the impossible burger (some years ago).

Rebecca you have my mouth watering

Used to have a gas stove, but then we moved to a house that had electric. Took me a while to get used to it. Now I’d only want electric, I’m so used to it. Have had it for the last 25 or so years. When we first moved to this house, I swear the oven had never been used. Now I use it a whole lot. Need to get comfortable with the convection, tho

Going to watch Christmas Eve on Sesame Street tonight. I already have my popcorn popped and logged.

Michele NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,810 Member
    :)
  • pipcd34
    exermom wrote: »
    M I know you love working from home, so this job sounds well suited for you. I’m like you, I go to work in the morning tomorrow then we are having friends over for dinner.

pip – great stove. I didn’t even know that drip plates came in black! How are replacements? I’ve seen the silver ones (I’ve bought them)

Tracey – usually I don’t care for plastic canvas. Mainly because you can see the back which doesn’t look nice. However, with a tissue box cover, you won’t be able to see it, so I’m thinking that might be a good idea. We watched A Muppet Christmas last night and then TSO’s Christmas Eve and other stories DVD’s . Oh, you said you googled Christmas cat tissue box covers and a lot came up. Which sites did you use?

The manager at BK said they got 100% yesterday. Not sure what that means exactly. But it made her happy.

Worked and then made some cookies for her daughter and the rest for us. I didn’t even know she had a daughter until she told me that her daughter wanted some of the fudge and she had to tell her that she couldn’t have any. Then went to WalMart, Vince had to pick up a prescription. They’re busy. Got dinner ready. Will get the things I can get done for tomorrow. Made the apple pie yesterday, today I’ll cut up the potatoes and put them in the pot. Cut the fish (haddock) into two pieces. I know when I get the haddock in FL, the pieces are usually larger. Oh well….now I know that these pieces aren’t as large.

Vince says my laptop is OK!!! Yea

Katla – so happy your daughter called

About the only fast food place I eat at is Subway. The last time I ate at one was when Burger King first introduced the impossible burger (some years ago).

Rebecca you have my mouth watering

Used to have a gas stove, but then we moved to a house that had electric. Took me a while to get used to it. Now I’d only want electric, I’m so used to it. Have had it for the last 25 or so years. When we first moved to this house, I swear the oven had never been used. Now I use it a whole lot. Need to get comfortable with the convection, tho

Going to watch Christmas Eve on Sesame Street tonight. I already have my popcorn popped and logged.

Michele NC

Sorry, don’t know much about it, haven’t even used it yet
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    New Job Answers

Is it with the same company?

It is still with the State Government, so I can transfer over all my leave, etc. That was kind of important to me because I am 1 year and 9 months away from starting to get Long Service Leave, in addition to all the other leave.

But it is a different department and I'll move up a level in terms of salary, something I couldn't do in my current area because there aren't any opportunities.

Commuting Time?

Exactly the same. The building they are currently in is about 250 metres from where I have been working and they are expected to move in 2022 (hopefully early 2022) and will be about 60 metres from where I've been working.

However, they are apparently more willing to allow people to work from home.

I will be working with environmental data, and will likely be involved in setting up/designing a database system, populating it, and teaching the scientists how to use it. Or something like that.

There may also be a bit of fieldwork where I go out with the scientists to assist them collecting data once in a while.

Both exciting and challenging.

M in Oz

More on job ... I won't be working from home to start with unless the COVID situation deteriorates really rapidly and we go into lockdown again. We are half expecting that to happen but not yet. I would actually prefer to work in the office for the first couple weeks, at least, to get my bearings.

In Australia, job applications are quite the process - time consuming and stressful - and I've spent a portion of my at home time going through this process over the past year. It's one of the reasons why I haven't made more progress on my 2021 To Do list.

The story ...

A year ago, I put together my 4 page CV and my 8-10 page application addressing the Selection Criteria for a job in my current department. These application packages are like doing a research paper! They take hours and hours to complete.

In February, I was shortlisted and offered an interview. More hours and hours of preparation. At that time, one of the managers in the office took me under her wing and gave me a lot of support and advice. In March, I had the interview. At the end of April, the other person interviewed got the job. That job was a big jump for me and he has more technical skills than I do.

I still had my current job, so I wasn't going to start applying for another job until early 2022. But then in September a couple things happened: I was "headhunted" through LinkedIn, and a work colleague strongly suggested I apply for a job that had just come up in another department. She thought I'd be perfect for it. At the same time, 5 other jobs in my area of expertise were advertised!!

So I applied for all 7 of them. There were a lot of late nights in September/October!! Thankfully my mentor (the manager) and my work colleague (a friend) helped me with some of the applications, making suggestions and refining wording a bit. And then I waited. Nothing moves fast in the world of job applications.

By early December I had been turned down by 3 jobs, and I had been shortlisted and attended 4 interviews. I figure that's a pretty good rate of return. But each interview requires lots of prep -- each one is like studying for an exam. And each interview involved a 3-person panel -- it's a popular way to do interviews here.

For one interview, I was given a package of information about a week in advance. I had to learn it and then in the interview, I had to teach it to the panel. I actually really enjoyed that interview. I had a blast teaching! My Bachelor's Degree is in education/teaching so I have been trained for that, I just haven't used it in a while.

The "We're sorry. All the applicants were excellent, but unfortunately for you, one was more excellent than you" emails started trickling in.

One of the things with an interview is that it is a two-way street. The panel is checking out the applicant but the applicant is also checking out the job. In order to do that, applicants are encouraged to ask questions at the end of the interview. This is something my mentor has been working with me on.

When I went to the first interview, I already knew quite a bit about the job, and there were a few things I felt hesitant about. By the end of the interview, I found myself trying to convince myself that it could be a good job ... not a good sign! When they turned me down, I was relieved!

The next one which turned me down was the teaching one. It was a 6-month, fixed-term position and I was thinking I might arrange to be seconded over there for the 6 months and then return to where I am. I think I might have liked that one for 6 months, but I don't know if I would have liked it for longer. However, secondment is a lot of paperwork and I suspect they may have gone for someone who didn't need to go through all that.

I haven't heard from the last interview yet and won't until later in January. But it was an odd interview, and by about halfway through I got the impression they weren't entirely sure what they were looking for ... and I felt like I was interviewing them!

But I heard from one ... she left a message to call her and I thought that didn't sound like a "We're sorry" message. And yes ... I got the job!!

Now that's done, I am hoping to be able to work on what will be my 2022 To Do list. :)

M in Oz

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Enjoy your vacations and holidays. We hoping to see our family for theNew Year. I will try to make tomorrow fun for DH because he is sad also.
    SueBDew in TX
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Merry Christmas Eve! I am on the bus on the way home and don't go back for 16.5 days!

M in Oz

Just Zoomed with my family in Canada and the US. :)

That was really nice and that is the closest we'll get to seeing family for months or years. Who knows.

We haven't seen my parents in person for 4.5 years and haven't seen my brother in person in 9 years. But we communicate via Facebook, email and Zoom/Skype.

Thank goodness for technology!!

Now I think I'm going to do a bit of weeding in the garden ... and eat some snowpeas.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Have been decorating for the holidays and have been sending positive messages to our adult kids.❤️
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,810 Member
    <3