60 yrs and up

Replies

• SharGetsHealthy
    SharGetsHealthy Posts: 1,232 Member
    Oh my gosh Ann, that is a tiny little thing. I have an orchid that I think is trying to send up a bloom stem. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between that and the air roots, but this appears to have 3 little nubs at the end, so I think it is bloom.

Eating has been good the last few days, but I haven't bothered to do any exercise. It's really snowy here and I don't feel like going outside. LOL I'll get my act together on Jan. 1.
  • richum1960
    richum1960 Posts: 43 Member
    Now that 2021 is just about out the door, I would like to wish all a Happy New Year and may you all reach and maintain your fitness goals throughout 2022!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Good job @AnnPT77 on your rowing challenge!

I also did some planned indulging over the holidays. In 2020 I gained a few pounds in the second half of the year and then lost them once I got back on track on January 1st. It would appear that the same has happened in 2021 and so starting tomorrow I'll be back to more disciplined eating. I seem to do best when I limit my carbs to a maximum of 100gr per day within my calorie allowance, and of course, daily exercise.

We've had some nasty cold weather this past week (-34C this morning) but I've managed to get out snowshoeing with the dogs most days. As an aside, I love my Black Diamond trekking poles for snowshoeing and just bought some for my husband this Christmas. My son always uses them while backpacking because he says it relieves some of the strain on his back. Not sure if that would be the case when walking without a big backpack but could possibly be another benefit to using them?

Happy New Years Eve to everyone!
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    Well this year is almost a wrap. I'm pretty much at the same spot as last year but not a lot more. Starting again but not defeated. Wishing you all a good new year. May you be inspired to pursue health and keep moving ahead. Thanks to all of you who share your journey. You inspire me to not give up.🌟🌟

• karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Greetings to those recently joining the thread: Happy you're here, and hoping you'll be very successful!

Status update from me: I did some planned indulging on Christmas as I'd done on US Thanksgiving (and my birthday not long before that). There were a few extra peaks in there, too, but I'm back down at about the maintenance weight I was before all of that, 125/126 pound kind of zone.

Right after Thanksgiving, I mentioned on this thread that I'd started the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge, with the goal of completing 200,000 rowing machine meters/400,000 stationary bike meters, or some combination thereof, by Christmas Eve. I managed 211,125 total challenge meters (counting bike meters as half-meters), without causing any kind of overuse injury, which is good. This was my 5th year in a row of completing the challenge, but I've done it a few times in earlier years, too - maybe 8 total times?

This year, my Garmin thinks the Challenge was good for 6,685 calories in total (doesn't seem like much, does it? 😆), though I have to admit I ate them along the way as I burned them, I didn't save them up for the holiday. 😉

I live alone, and in the pandemic have been soloing holidays at home. I decided I'd celebrate by cooking and eating whatever I wanted, even if totally nontraditional, and not worrying too much about calories. Christmas was oven-fried potatoes for breakfast (with ketchup and coffee - that's it), a savory crustless pumpkin "pie" with fresh herbs in it for lunch (think quiche-like), and a black bean/queso fresco tamale casserole for dinner.

The Holiday Challenge helps me shift my (reluctant) mind from on-water rowing and outdoor biking season, to doing some admittedly less fun stuff to keep a modicum of conditioning in the Winter (sigh). I need to fine-tune my plans, but for now my tentative stopgap plan is alternating indoor row/indoor bike for about a half hour 6 days a week, and gradually adding strength training on row days and some core exercises on bike days . . . at least in theory. (I'm kinda unreliable in Winter. 😆) I'm also working on resuming a yoga/stretch routine for a few minutes most days before breakfast.

I'm planning to solo-celebrate again for New Years, so am again thinking of cooking/baking some special things, still in the planning stage.

I haven't shared any plant photos recently (probably to your relief), but I think I have a fun one. I've been lucky to have some orchids that have rebloomed in the house recently, including a first time blooming from this crazy-tiny one, Poroglossum hystrix, that some of my friends thinks looks like an angry fish or an alien. (That's a normal ball point pen tip in the photo with it, for scale.)

9npwasjpqkpq.jpg

Happy New Year to all!

Wow! That flower is tiny. Yes to the alien angry fish. Love your holiday food plans. Good luck on the winter exercise regimen.
  • need2bless
    need2bless Posts: 2 Member
    Happy New Year! I'm hoping to make some significant strides towards better health this year. Was a member for a while years ago - tried Noom last year but I don't like their food tracking. Hoping for some concrete support - not into the "rah rah - you can do it" kind of pep talk -- maybe I need some tough love... who knows! I have lost 60 pounds, only to regain 25. I'd love to lose those 25! I have some joint problems so right now walking seems to be the only activity I can do without pain. Recent shoulder problems keep me from starting any weight training right now. Happy to find a group for us over 60 people!
  • Zzsally
    Zzsally Posts: 153 Member
    Happy new Year🎆
  • richum1960
    IndyRick1 wrote: »
    Hey y'all! I"m Rick in Indianapolis. Long story short, lost 90, gained 40 back. Sound familiar? I'm finding I really need the social aspect of getting and staying healthy, and I'd love a friend request or a few. Happily married, and in my spare time I enjoy cycling, hiking, geocaching, and I"m a ham radio operator. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Hidy Rick, My name is Rick as well. I sent you a friends request. I have had great results from MFP and would be glad to support you in your journey. Happy New Year!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    @AnnPT77
    I never knew Orchids could be so small! I agree with the angry fish/alien too!

Didn't gain over Thanksgiving or Christmas, actually lost. But gained, assuming water weight from sodium, after I went to Texas Roadhouse on 12/28. Started to lose some of it. Hopefully the rest of it soon but had Pork and Sauerkraut today. So maybe not. But that does have a bit of a diuretic/laxative effect so maybe....
  • richum1960
    need2bless wrote: »
    Happy New Year! I'm hoping to make some significant strides towards better health this year. Was a member for a while years ago - tried Noom last year but I don't like their food tracking. Hoping for some concrete support - not into the "rah rah - you can do it" kind of pep talk -- maybe I need some tough love... who knows! I have lost 60 pounds, only to regain 25. I'd love to lose those 25! I have some joint problems so right now walking seems to be the only activity I can do without pain. Recent shoulder problems keep me from starting any weight training right now. Happy to find a group for us over 60 people!

Welcome! I noticed you mentioned that you didn't like Noom's food tracking. I really like the food tracking that MFP and I only have experience with MFP. It is funny that you mention that because I am a firm believer that tracking is key. I know when I came back last year it was because I stopped tracking and gained back 20lbs. I got back to a good weight for me in about 4 months. I have been in maintenance since. I am currently maintaining at an optimal weight. I am focusing on exercise now but the credit to getting where I am goes to tracking. My suggestion would be to establish your goal weight, determine how fast you wanna lose, calculate how many calories per day you need to achieve that and monitor daily. The rest would be up to you. Just sayin'.......... Have a great day!
  • nfll406
    nfll406 Posts: 30 Member
    Can I join this group? I’m 62. My name is Rosanna. Live and work on a ranch. Have been addicted to keeping myself fit most of my life but this age thing…Have had MFP for a long while but never stick to it so I need cheerleaders! Although married, I’m alone most of the time so food is my friend and it’s showing. Recouping from a second knee replacement last month so not able to move as much as I normally do. But will in time. Need to tame the overactive saliva gland to garner benefits from any movement. So I’m looking forward to being a part of this group!
  • nfll406
    nfll406 Posts: 30 Member
    SbetaK wrote: »
    We've had big windstorms and freezing cold winter weather where I live, lots of icy parking lots and slippery slopes. I bought boots that have studs built into them, totally impressed and wearing them everywhere! Except.....at my own home I stepped outside to feed the birds on my deck and went sailing down the steps, hitting my tailbone over and over. Probably broke my coccyx, but since there is nothing you can do for them except wait for time to heal, I don't plan on getting any xrays, etc. I used a travel neck pillow to sit on, works great to relieve pressure when sitting. Walking pretty funny, and bending over is miserable, but life goes on and time will heal me. Sure put a big halt on my exercise routine! And hahaha...this adds a new dimension to the slang phrase, that I am all "butt hurt" :D:D

Hopefully that mends quick. My sympathies! Cold and icy where I live too, so scared of falling on a recent knee replacement. Slipped while filling a feeder as well.
  • SharGetsHealthy
    SharGetsHealthy Posts: 1,232 Member
    Good morning. Yesterday was an excellent day. Stayed on track with my food and water and got some movement in. I'm feeling really inspired by 2022!! Looking forward to good things.

Welcome to all of the new folks!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    j29t wrote: »
    Hello to all and welcome new joins.

December was such a fun month for me and I gave myself some slack to enjoy the festivities. My 75th BD party was such a delight and I got a laugh as friends and family who hadn't seen me in such a long time did a double take at first glance. Spending Christmas with the grandkids was especially appreciated after such a long isolation before vaccine availability. Sure I put on a couple pounds but since MFP is my lifestyle now it just feels great knowing that those indulgences will be erased by tracking and recognizing that will power are mine to control. No procrastinating and being back on track is all we need to stay fit.

@alteredsteve175 - prayers for good days

Happy 2022 to all, stay safe and be good to yourself.

@j29t, I love that bolded part so much: Yes. And yay, you!
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    @SbetaK
    I broke my coccyx quite a few years ago. One cold morning I took 1 step out on the patio, to let the dogs out and landed half in, half out of the house on the French door screen door track. Black ice! OMG! What pain! I too didn't go get an Xray. (I'm a RN. Why bother as nothing can be done) I was at a swim practice with my kids later and someone said, "You need to go see a Dr." Again I knew there was no reason too but they kept up. My kids Dr was right near us. I said, "Ken" and went on to explain how I fell and how bad I hurt. He said, "Yeah, she broke it and there is nothing that can be done." I hate to tell you, I don't think I sat right for 6 months! And the neck pillow is an excellent way to relieve the location pressure!

My weight is still up be it water weight from Texas Roadhouse last Tuesday and then Pork & Sauerkraut for New Years. :-( It will go down eventually.