At Goal & Successfully Maintaining. So Why Am I Doing This All Over Again?

Options

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Have you tried a fitness tracker?

BL kicked and screamed when I suggested he try one, but he finally agreed to “try” my old one when I got a new Apple Watch.

It’s been a couple months now, and it’s almost a shock how much he’s increased his activity.

He’s very engaged in closing all his rings every day, and pops right up to go for walks now. He even keeps walking shoes at the ready in the hall closet. That didn’t used to happen.

He’s closed his move ring three times on a couple of occasions and is very proud- as well he should be.

And (imho) he’s getting a far more realistic record of calories burned than he was before, hand entering them via MFP’s calculator.

There’s so many discussions of motivation on these boards: how to get it, how to keep it?

Motivation may be as close as your wrist.

Some trackers have alarms to let you know you haven’t moved in the last sixty minutes, or that you’ve been unusually low activity and might want to step it up after dinner.

Most trackers have challenge apps. You can “compete” against other people anonymously, either solo or as a team, or set up private challenges with friend(s).

I’ve done team challenges with some ladies from my MFP friends group. This is our third month. It’s been really interesting to see them step up their activity each month to try to boost our score- and, maybe, a little bit for pride. It’s a game, not brain surgery, but no one really wants to consistently be the lowest scoring member of the team.

I’m trying to get BL to upgrade his apple watch, since he has to charge the thing twice a day now to keep up with his new activity level (and it’s aging battery), but……being BL and priding himself on being low maintenance, he won’t do it for himself. He deserves it, so I guess it’s up to me to just get one and hand it to him.

My daughter got a Fitbit (because she has an Android- Apple Watch requires an iPhone) and has been really pleased with it, too.

If you’re seeking motivation and you’re a bit of an OCD personality, consider a good tracker.

Oh, and you also find many non fitness tracker related challenges scattered here

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

and throughout the MFP boards: push-up challenges, pound a week challenges and so on. These challenges can be joined via the threads, or links to groups discussed in the threads.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    So last night, BL sheepishly admitted he was craving a DQ soft cone. He was embarrassed about it. Acted like it was something shameful to have a craving.

“How many calories you got left? Oh wow, that many? Why are you embarrassed? Let’s go get you one!”

So I rode with him to buy a medium sized cone.

This is a double NSV. He had far more than enough calories for that cone (or two, if he’d wanted), and I didn’t want anything on the tempting ice cream menu, because I’d planned for and already made a yogurt-pumpkin pudding, which tbh, that sounded better to me.

Afterwards he said, “ya know, I enjoyed it while I ate it but now I just feel sick.” Dude, I know. I know!!!!! Been there a hundred times. Your head says,”oooohhhhh I want this now” gimee gimee” but then afterwards you’re wondering why you ever did it. Mild nausea, heartburn. But as he said, it was good in the moment.

I think as we get used to better choices, our bodies can’t cope with some of the old ones any longer? (Ask me about that batch of Xmas toffee cookies I put away . Urgh. * Shudder*.)

BTW, he’s been playing Pokémon Go hard during the Holiday Event. There’s a holiday Pokémon named Vanillite that looks like a soft serve cone. That’s what got into his head, LMAO.

Isn’t he a diabetic? With all due respect, no wonder he felt sick! A whole DQ medium cone would have my glucose through the ceiling and I would feel terrible. Edit: I looked it up and it seems to be 52 g carbs, and that’s gonna be the quick digesting processed type with no fiber to slow it down. Not too bad if it’s all the carbs you eat at a meal with protein and fat, but I feel better if I stay under 45 g per meal.

I do think there’s something to not noticing how terrible you feel when you feel terrible all the time - start making better choices and feeling better and you will definitely notice a difference though. Before I was diagnosed I used to wonder if I was allergic to something in the breakfast at Cracker Barrel, when it turns out I was having enough carbs to nearly kill me. I would feel nauseous and have to lie down for hours after eating there. I wasn’t aware of being diabetic at the time and haven’t been back since, but based purely on the numbers I’m guessing my glucose was in the 300+ range every time I ate there, which doesn’t feel good at all.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,410 Member
    Options
    What IS "skyr" ? where would I look for a recipe (or is it a commercial thing, like yogurt?) Just not from an ethnic tradition I happen to be familiar with.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 Skyr is basically Icelandic/Nordic-style yogurt, there are several commercially-available brands. Siggi's is the one I've seen most commonly. It's even thicker and higher-protein than Greek-style yogurt.
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,410 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will look around for it.
  • springlering62
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »

I’m waiting for some rennet to come from Amazon and am going to try making my own.

Tastes milder than Greek yogurt, much thicker and creamier. Technically it’s a cheese because it uses rennet but the process to make it is very similar to yogurt.

Siggi’s brand is about $5.69 for the cottage cheese sized tub.

We’ve spent a couple of vacations in Ukraine and (“the other”) Georgia, and I’m fascinated by the farmers cheeses.

I’ve made yogurt, Greek yogurt, kefir, lab-something cheese, and paneer. Loved the kefir but two of us couldn’t keep up with production. We even tried eating the kefir grains and they still got ahead of us. Kefir was like tribbles.

I want to try my hand at mozarella and other simple cheeses.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »

I’m waiting for some rennet to come from Amazon and am going to try making my own.

Tastes milder than Greek yogurt, much thicker and creamier. Technically it’s a cheese because it uses rennet but the process to make it is very similar to yogurt.

Siggi’s brand is about $5.69 for the cottage cheese sized tub.

We’ve spent a couple of vacations in Ukraine and (“the other”) Georgia, and I’m fascinated by the farmers cheeses.

I’ve made yogurt, Greek yogurt, kefir, lab-something cheese, and paneer. Loved the kefir but two of us couldn’t keep up with production. We even tried eating the kefir grains and they still got ahead of us. Kefir was like tribbles.

I want to try my hand at mozarella and other simple cheeses.

The only one I've ever "made" is viili, or Finnish yogurt, and that was only because the SO's father gave me some starter. Technically I didn't make it, it's one of those things that you feed every time you use it, like sourdough starter. Viili is at the thin end of the yogurt viscosity spectrum, more similar to kefir.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a fitness tracker?

BL kicked and screamed when I suggested he try one, but he finally agreed to “try” my old one when I got a new Apple Watch.

It’s been a couple months now, and it’s almost a shock how much he’s increased his activity.

He’s very engaged in closing all his rings every day, and pops right up to go for walks now. He even keeps walking shoes at the ready in the hall closet. That didn’t used to happen.

He’s closed his move ring three times on a couple of occasions and is very proud- as well he should be.

And (imho) he’s getting a far more realistic record of calories burned than he was before, hand entering them via MFP’s calculator.

There’s so many discussions of motivation on these boards: how to get it, how to keep it?

Motivation may be as close as your wrist.

Some trackers have alarms to let you know you haven’t moved in the last sixty minutes, or that you’ve been unusually low activity and might want to step it up after dinner.

Most trackers have challenge apps. You can “compete” against other people anonymously, either solo or as a team, or set up private challenges with friend(s).

I’ve done team challenges with some ladies from my MFP friends group. This is our third month. It’s been really interesting to see them step up their activity each month to try to boost our score- and, maybe, a little bit for pride. It’s a game, not brain surgery, but no one really wants to consistently be the lowest scoring member of the team.

I’m trying to get BL to upgrade his apple watch, since he has to charge the thing twice a day now to keep up with his new activity level (and it’s aging battery), but……being BL and priding himself on being low maintenance, he won’t do it for himself. He deserves it, so I guess it’s up to me to just get one and hand it to him.

My daughter got a Fitbit (because she has an Android- Apple Watch requires an iPhone) and has been really pleased with it, too.

If you’re seeking motivation and you’re a bit of an OCD personality, consider a good tracker.

Oh, and you also find many non fitness tracker related challenges scattered here

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/challenges

and throughout the MFP boards: push-up challenges, pound a week challenges and so on. These challenges can be joined via the threads, or links to groups discussed in the threads.

I am wanting to purchase the Apple Watch Series 7. But I'm having difficulty deciding between the 41 mm and 45 mm. Many reviews say they love the larger screen for easier use. Many reviews say it's too large on a woman's wrist and they prefer the 41 mm. Anyone have a recommendation for this woman?
  • sandielewis2001
    sandielewis2001 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    @yayamom3 - I had the larger apple watch for my first watch (series 2). When I upgraded I switched to the smaller 41mm. I prefer the look of the smaller watch on my wrist and had less problems with accidentally pressing the crown button. I also set up my watch so the crown button is towards my arm instead of towards my hand which helps with unintentional crown hits (especially during exercise like planks or yoga).
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    @yayamom3 - my original gen 1 apple watch is still going strong; it's the 42mm version and I wouldn't even go any larger as an average-sized dude (6'1" 175lbs). My wife is 5'9" about 145 and has the ~38mm and it's a good size for her wrist.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    @yayamom3 - I had the larger apple watch for my first watch (series 2). When I upgraded I switched to the smaller 41mm. I prefer the look of the smaller watch on my wrist and had less problems with accidentally pressing the crown button. I also set up my watch so the crown button is towards my arm instead of towards my hand which helps with unintentional crown hits (especially during exercise like planks or yoga).
    steveko89 wrote: »
    @yayamom3 - my original gen 1 apple watch is still going strong; it's the 42mm version and I wouldn't even go any larger as an average-sized dude (6'1" 175lbs). My wife is 5'9" about 145 and has the ~38mm and it's a good size for her wrist.

Thank you for the insight! I was leaning toward the smaller version, but needed some other opinions. Greatly appreciated!
  • springlering62
    Options
    Have nearly convinced BL to get a new watch so he doesn’t have to charge twice a day. He was horrified at the thought of getting the 44. He said the 41mm was plenty big.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Although BL’s scale is down a bit this morning, this is a “me” post again- potentially an “us” post, since we’re both emotionally invested in a current serious family crisis.

Sorry to hear this, hope things resolve quickly.

Booster was on Wednesday though (half dose). Unfortunately I had to disobey the advice not to exert myself because there was snow that needed shovelling and that seems to have resulted in more of a sore arm than I had with the two previous shots.
  • springlering62
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Although BL’s scale is down a bit this morning, this is a “me” post again- potentially an “us” post, since we’re both emotionally invested in a current serious family crisis.

Sorry to hear this, hope things resolve quickly.

Booster was on Wednesday though (half dose). Unfortunately I had to disobey the advice not to exert myself because there was snow that needed shovelling and that seems to have resulted in more of a sore arm than I had with the two previous shots.

So glad you didn’t have too much problem. And thank you for being vaccinated so you don’t clog up the hospitals.